Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

This is the "quality tourist" that Thailand is trying to attract. They have high standards and are sorely disappointed when those standards are not met.

I think you totally and utterly misunderstand what type of traveler I am.

I disagree. You are the young affluent European visitor that the TAT is trying to attract (without them doing anything to the country to improve your experience).

The OP's use of English suggests he is American, not "European". "Kinda"? All prices quoted in dollars? Maybe An American in Paris?

He did mention several times he was in Europe. I'm assuming that an American in Europe would not waste $300 on a shooting range in Thailand when he could spend FAR less on a shooting range anywhere in the USA.

Edited by IsaanUSA

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never read such snobbish unadulterated crap in my life. What do you expect from Bangkok? Is it any different from a Thai visiting New York for the 1st time? You seem to think that every "resort" that you visit should be an outta this world experience, and you give litle mention to the people and the culture of this country. The only food you comment on is western food, so why the hell bother coming here at all. If all you want is a package holiday why didn't you go on one? What you write is an insult to this wonderful country, and you write through ignorance not knowledge. Just in case you want to know I live in the rural north of the country, and have travelled extensively throughout the world, and as you can see from my spelling I am British - you are obviously American, and I suggest you stay there.

I have never read such snobbish unadulterated crap in my life. What do you expect from Bangkok? Is it any different from a Thai visiting New York for the 1st time? You seem to think that every "resort" that you visit should be an outta this world experience, and you give litle mention to the people and the culture of this country. The only food you comment on is western food, so why the hell bother coming here at all. If all you want is a package holiday why didn't you go on one? What you write is an insult to this wonderful country, and you write through ignorance not knowledge. Just in case you want to know I live in the rural north of the country, and have travelled extensively throughout the world, and as you can see from my spelling I am British - you are obviously American, and I suggest you stay there.

Well I agree to some extent. As for your English spelling statement, you have made a few mistakes. Sorry. sad.png

This would be my, if not first, very post I made here. Ten years ago, it was my first time being in Thailand, Bangkok, I should say. I had my very first scam there. But overall, the trip was fine, talked with people who faked to be fashion designer so that you can buy him a drink.

It was under recommendation a friend from Singapore, that I should visit Chiang Mai, that my first visit dated in 2006.

So I came to Chiang Mai, with little knowledge of it, staying at a small guest house. I asked for information where I could visit of my interests. A number of time I got lost, and I was fortunate enough to have local people take me to the destination, once in a female student's car, a few other occasions on the back of a motorbike.

Not a single time have I fallen in a scam here in Chiang Mai, or does it exist at all here up in the north. The kindness of the people here sparkled my interest in learning the Thai language. Through learning, I got to talk to different local people at various locations. I have held a conversation with people working at the cinema, restaurants, hotels, temples, universities, and almost anywhere I go, people were so ready to talk to you, especially when they know I am a tourist. The locals are so ready to lend you a hand.

Yes, I agree the north is very different, a lot more hospitable. Although Chiang Mai has modernized quite a bit in the past years, and there are now loads of tourist from China, that the kindness tends to subside a bit, it is very unlike other regions of Thailand.

If you don't drink alcohol, B150 is quite enough for a day use. Food is delicious and costs about B30 per meal. Of course if you prefer to eat a more luxurious meal, you are welcome to do so. But you will not find extraordinary prices like you do in the south. Tuk tuk price is very reasonable here too, although I rent a motorbike each time I visit.

Since 2006, I have been coming back to Chiang Mai each year till now. I skipped one year and I felt so homesick. As I see about the same people in the city, and bumped into old acquaintances each time I visit Chiang Mai, that is when I know this is where my final destination will be.

Traveling is best when you interact with the locals and learn about them. Places surround them are good to visit, but it is the people who would get you connected. If you have the time, you really should learn a few things about the language. The smiles that you receive would certainly rip away the uneasiness you have within you.

Perhaps you can also join a meditation retreat at Wat Umong, a forest temple in Chiang Mai. The peacefulness you attain would actually help you appreciate more about the culture the locals cocreate through time.

I agree two days for Pai is perhaps a bit much. But Chiang Mai is really not that ordinary.

• Like 1

Neo6 try next time to forget the planning.

Just go with the flow,even the nighttrain from Bangkok to Surat Thanee(Koh Samui) is relaxing and part of a holiday.

Forget lebua go to silomcity inn with the market next door and 4 religions on a square km.(hindu,moslim,christian and afcourse buddist) very peacefull

part of Bangkok.

And you where right just after bangkok go straight to Samui,but don't go to chaweng or all that touristic places.Me I come for more than 20 years on this island and I have to say, you are a bit to late to visit,because the real beauty is gone. But it is still the best island in Thailand

Next time rent a car from a western compagnie and rent a bungalow in a quiet part of the island(north east ) it will be easy to go everywhere on the island.

And if you are interesting to see some of the real Thailand go to the north east (isaan) it is by far more cheaper and there are 4/5 star hotels in the city's.

Good luck and don't be dissapointing, give it another try.

Just go with the flow,even the nighttrain from Bangkok to Surat Thanee(Koh Samui) is relaxing and part of a holiday.

Forget lebua go to silomcity inn with the market next door and 4 religions on a square km.(hindu,moslim,christian and afcourse buddist) very peacefull

part of Bangkok.

And you where right just after bangkok go straight to Samui,but don't go to chaweng or all that touristic places.Me I come for more than 20 years on this island and I have to say, you are a bit to late to visit,because the real beauty is gone. But it is still the best island in Thailand

Next time rent a car from a western compagnie and rent a bungalow in a quiet part of the island(north east ) it will be easy to go everywhere on the island.

And if you are interesting to see some of the real Thailand go to the north east (isaan) it is by far more cheaper and there are 4/5 star hotels in the city's.

What kind of 4/5 star hotels might there be in isaan?none,the real Thailand watching ricefields and visiting some ancient khmer ruins is not a very spectacular way to spend ones holiday and isaan is very boring and al citys look alike been there done that.
  • Like 1

A list of other things you can plan to do in Chiang Mai:

1) Visit the museum of insects B300 -- one of the more expensive places to visit

2) Body massage -- B120 to B150 an hour

3) Meditation retreat -- a few hundred Baht a night.

4) Drink with the locals at local discos, not those aiming for the farangs.

5) Real muay Thai ( Friday nights only) - 8 pm to 2 am

Not in night buzzaar, but a bit further

VIP (upfront) about B500

regular should be less than B100

6) Saturday walking street

can visit silver temple

Sunday walking streets

can visit Lanna architecture museum free -- close at 8:30 pm

7) Phuping Palace up on Doi Suthep mountain

It costs a bit to go up by public transporation -- B300

8) Doi Suthep Temple

If you could rent a motorbike, it would be better.

9) Doi Pui

Hilltribe. There is a school, and village too. You can also see opium plantation.

10) Chiang Mai Zoo aquarium -- longest underneath tunnel

About B100 for zoo entrance, then B300 entrance for aquarium

11) Wiang Kum Kam temple complex -- it is quite run down. but for temple hoppers, they would love it.

Free tour guide to guide you. Yes, free.

Or you can pay a few hundred Baht to sit on a horse carriage, because the complex is quite sparse.

12) Art in paradise -

Perhaps not what you are looking for, but the locals enjoy very much taking picture with the 3 D pictures here.

B300 per entry

*13) Rachepark flower expo

Amazing park with different kinds of plants of different country themes.

I put a * for this.

14) Mugatha (buffet) -- everywhere, just ask some local.

Try their local barbeque buffet.

You can get all you can eat for just B150

15) Khantoke - traditional dance with dinner

I am not a fan of it though. The show is quite nice, but the food .... I would just give it an ok. Everyone there is a tourist...

Oh and when you go back to Bangkok, take a tuk tuk ride through peak time traffic. We couldn't get a taxi to take us from the Palace to Lumphini Park side of town at that time of day but a tuk tuk driver was game.

Yes it was noisy, yes there were fumes and traffic snarl ups, yes the driver weaved in and out of traffic but it was hell of a thrill ride and what a way to see the city. I felt like I was in a James Bond movie. Felt alive. Do it!

part of Bangkok.

What kind of 4/5 star hotels might there be in isaan?none,the real Thailand watching ricefields and visiting some ancient khmer ruins is not a very spectacular way to spend ones holiday and isaan is very boring and al citys look alike been there done that.

Kudel do you have any idee what the stars mean for a hotel?

I dont normally like to run people down but on this occasion..

I just read your original thread, got bored after a while but most people were giving you good advice, post #3,#4 and# 5 dont go to sumai, prices of room post #5, don't do too many locations post #6, avoid elephant camps post #7, ''Koh Lanta is very nice. But this is low season and many places are closed'' post #8, ''Koh Sami is a flithy <deleted> hole post'' #12, i think that is enough of an example of failing to listen to advice.

Your whole personality comes across as a real moaner and confrontational , read you opening post in thread '' Potential Tourist Visa Problem'' you complain about ''crappy 14 day'' visa on arrival and then ''Would it be possible for us to fly to another EU country that isn't handicapped and get a visa'' all that planning but you didn't plan in the visa.

next time give me the $20,000 and i will give you a list of thing to moan about, squat toilets, mini bus drivers, the rainy season, the hot season, mosquitoes, soi dogs etc.

chill out and enjoy the rest of your holiday, otherwise you could end up staying here for ever following your heart attack, Thailand is what you make it, there are some bad points but have you ever been to Skegness or Benidorm, but if you fail to listen to my advice then planes leave from Thailand all the time.

However one thing I must stress to people is the amount moving around takes it out of you. Getting to and from airports, flying, going through security, getting to and from hotels, moving your bags about, packing and unpacking, it all adds up and the more places you visit the more messing around you have to do.

If you want to avoid much of the moving around, moving bags, packing and unpacking, hotels, long security lines, messing about etc then you should seriously consider going on an upscale cruise vacation on a line like Crystal Cruises. Anyone traveling through airports and going in and out of various hotels etc is absolutely going to spend a LOT of time doing unpleasant things like packing, standing in lines, going through security, sitting in traffic jams etc......to think otherwise is frankly very naïve.

• Like 1

Poster. Thanks for an honest down to earth report, no holes barred. Understand some of the respondents. Its a shame you wasted your money this trip.

Although you didn't mentioned the climate I assume that may have been a big factor at this time of year in the islands which are to avoided, May to October.

I thought your post was interesting, fair and informative Reo6. Thank you. I love Thailand and its people very much but your experience reflects the pastiche that Thailand is spiralling up its own rectum. I live here (having done so for some years now) and have some favourite, beautiful places to which I go but the corruption and rip-off mentality is permeating the infrastructure and making me review my stance. Such a shame for the hard-working, proud people who can't see what's happening around them or to them. :-(

Well, sucks that you haven't enjoyed your vacation so far, but I doubt you'll enjoy Chiang Mai either. Kind of sounds like you've made up your mind you don't like Thailand. But to complain about a $20K bill for your vacation when you chose to stay at 5-star (advertised) accommodations is pretty idiotic. Hope next years vacation is better!

Clearly, the OP does not have a psyche well-matched to the Thai way. I have been to all of the places which he finds sadly wanting, and loved every minute of all of them, despite occasionally thinking 'Ummmmm...... that could have been done a little better'. If you take yourself out of your shell, and enjoy Thailand the way Thais do, you can easily walk back a soi or 2 from the tourist trap areas and eat a magnificent meal for 2 for 120 baht. I have lived in Thailand for years and do that almost every night of the week. You'd pay 1,500 baht for 2 people for the same quality of meals overseas, at least. If you are paying 500 baht for a meal, I mean, really, do you have stuffing for brains? 30 baht would get you a perfectly filling noodle soup. 50-60 baht a great meal. Perhaps you carry a big sign on you saying 'Charge me what you like - I'm a well-healed farang without a clue'? You don't go the Western or Eastern coast islands during their respective bad weather/stormy seasons. You don't try and travel an awkward leg of a journey in a foreign land as though you are doing a New York commute. That is part of the beauty of Thailand - the slow-down-a-little-what's-the-hurry-you're-a-long-time-dead unexplainables and different approach to life in general. You don't aim to stay in 'rip-me-off-please-I'm-a-rich-farang-with-no-idea-that-you're-laughing-at-me-paying-50 baht-for-a-15-baht-can-of-Coke-type'. Nothing to do on Ko Lanta? OMG. A gently-swinging hammock, azure sea, 50 baht Happy Hour chilled cocktails, dew dripping onto the pages of your latest best-seller book as you stretch a little as a wondrous pair of soft hands hypnotise every cell in your body with a Thai oil massage, your senses detecting the enticing, hunger-inducing fragrance of freshly tossing herbs, prawns, chicken, squid, beef, and chilli in some not-too-distant wok, toes searching for the thongs of your flip-flops as you heave yourself out of suspended bliss, to kick-sand your way up the slope of the beach to the source of that fantastic smell ..... Nothing to do on unspoiled Ko Lanta??? Unbelievable. Beaches full of rocks? Choose more wisely. Ko Lanta has magnificent beaches!!! I'm both a little bit fascinated and mostly appalled. Next time you travel to any country remotely different from your won, try and mix with the locals. Drink Thai herb-infused Thai whisky. It's jet fuel but it's fun. Laugh a little. Learn a lot. The locals will steer you away from all those standard pocket-emtying places and people that, after all, you find the world over .... Most of all, plan well. You cannot have planned all that well, after all, can you, if you ended up on Ko Lanta during the stormy season, didn't research how long it was going to take to get from Point A to Point B (the journey, as much as the destination, can be enjoyable), etc etc. It is terribly sad that you (and presumably your partner) wasted a fantastic opportunity to have a holiday of a lifetime. Better luck with your planning next time ......

• Like 2

Agree 100%... I have been back and forth to Thailand for eight years and have lived here for the past two years. Been to the north, south, east, west and everywhere in between. Seen and done many things with many experiences and memories. In general, cost's continue to rise with service and services on the fall. Crime, drug use,corruption and violence against foreigners continue to plague city's, tourist areas and even sleepy villages in Isaan. Perhaps, a beautiful place many years ago with friendly people and clean beaches but I do believe those days are behind us.

Thailand is like a bad stock, pump and dump. Many reasons to plan and spend hard earned money for a visit to Thailand but a huge dissapointment in the end. For the money, Malasia, Singapore, Vietnam, Tawain, is a much better bet. Hell, Papua may even be better than Thailand.

Labor and life is the only thing that is cheap in Thailand.

Neo6..........I'm a couple of days late but just had to say something...................just stop over thinking and over planning everything. A holiday is what you make it. Jeez, just reading your posts is a drag. Sorry, but please - lighten up. Or go to bloody Switzerland.

You should have looked at a map and the size of the country and the distances between the places you visit.

And do not try to see a whole frickin' country in 3 weeks, that's nuts !!

Only the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese can do that.

They endure all the travel inconveniences you describe and more, to get to as many places as possible, in a minimum amount of time.

But, they have all meals etc. booked well in advance, so they can at least enjoy their own food without surprises.

To make such a very stressful trip highly successful, they shoot thousands of photos and videos of the places they visit and travel through.

And all of this, to enjoy their pictures and videos, in the most personalized and relaxed atmosphere there is for them, namely: "their home".

Might just work for you as well, give it a try next time !

I mean truly please tell me how I can see this amazing real Thailand. Shall I check into a dirty hostel with bed bugs then go eat some fried chicken at a street vendor on my way to a lady boy ping pong show? Is that the real Thailand? Shall I spend 2 days on a cramped train traveling down the country looking at one banana plantation after another?

Can you get any more insulting than this?

Please go back to your 'burb and just hire a guide next time.

I'm from the US and have been here over 20 years and travelled the world.

Very low for you to insult and stereotype other cultures.

Neo

Where are you from? Sounds to me like you like to be pampered. Maybe you are not an outdoor type person. Also, yes...the heat here can be unbearable for someone from a cooler climate. I haved lived here over 5 yrs and seldom use A/C myself.

2 weeks is very little planning time. I first came here in 1965, courtesy of the US Air Force. I stayed for one year and did not return until 2005 for holiday. But I planned for 6 months before comingin 2005.

Some people don't belong in a 3rd world country. To me the slow train rides and the banana plantations are part of the fun. However had you actually travelled Thailand, you would know that there is much more than banana plantations. Eat at the street vendors...walk down some sois....get a little dirt under your fingernails.

I have not read all the posts here. But one thing stroke me Immediately.... This was written by a guy not at all eductaed in trips and trvaels and knows absolutely nothing about anything obviously.

You visit every damn touristplace there is in Thailand and than expect it to be cheap, hahahahaha!!! Thailand is more than just these

plain Koh Samui or Bangkok or Chiang Mai. same as Europe is so much more than the city you americans mostly visit. Paris, London Rom and Spain.......

No.... This was BAD planing if you wanted a cheap trip and very good planning if you wanted to have a expensive holiday....

Unexperienced guys must expect to pay up until they can do better

Glegolo

• Like 1

You came to Bangkok and make no mention of the Grand Palace or any Wats or any other of amazing things to see here. Why come here to go to the cinema and go shooting, surely you can do that at home. This city is one of the most vibrant and exciting in the World, I really don't see how anyone could not enjoy themselves here. A good meal on the street should cost you know no more than a few $'s and it's where the best food is to be found. You seem to have totally missed the essence of what makes this place special. Maybe you thought it would be like an oriental version of home, but it's a shame you seem to have missed out on seeing what an awesome city this is.

Great reply bs,

"you saw Thailand like most tourists dont" yet your visits were to phuket, chiang mai, bangkok and burma....same as the other 25,999,000 tourists. How about Chiang Kan or Nakon Phanhom or Sukothai bah...just like the rest only you took the bus.

I think also he has done the overpriced self planned holiday, for someone who hasn't been to Thailand before that;s a big mistake, my firsy ever holiday in Thailand was back in 2007 and that was for a month, I didn't even book a hotel befrore I left and i took each day as it came, done Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and a day trip to Burma, I saw Thailand as most tourists don't, as for Bangkok it's one of the most fantastic cities in the world you just have to jump on the BTS (120 baht for the day) and you can see the sights easily.

What a missed opportunity.

Thailand will always be a top ten destination. Most travelers will visit the top vacation spots and have a good time, Pattaya, Phuket, any of the islands etc. Why, because they are usually here for less than 4 weeks which is perfect. That is what tourism is supposed to be. Get in, have fun, move on.

Anything longer and you become less of a tourist and will start to see cracks in the picture. So comd to Thailand visit for a short while, have fun, take the photos and go home and share your experiences with others (who will then come here as well).

Neo6..........I'm a couple of days late but just had to say something...................just stop over thinking and over planning everything. A holiday is what you make it. Jeez, just reading your posts is a drag. Sorry, but please - lighten up. Or go to bloody Switzerland.

Why Switzerland? Do you think he wants to buy a handbag and make it WORLD news as some people do?

Any way why does someone spend 300USD for 15 mins on a shooting range? not enough of these attractions in US?

Traveling, even 1 hour flights, takes about 3 to 4 hours everywhere in the world, indeed Thailand is not as cheap as it used to be, but why complain about a 500THB taxi trip if you are willing to spend 300USD for 15mins in the above range and 300USD/night at hotels.

I can do and see here a lot more for a lot less than 20000USD. Maybe it's still cheaper in Mongolia, not sure.

You should have looked at a map and the size of the country and the distances between the places you visit.

And do not try to see a whole frickin' country in 3 weeks, that's nuts !!

Only the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese can do that.

They endure all the travel inconveniences you describe and more, to get to as many places as possible, in a minimum amount of time.

But, they have all meals etc. booked well in advance, so they can at least enjoy their own food without surprises.

To make such a very stressful trip highly successful, they shoot thousands of photos and videos of the places they visit and travel through.

And all of this, to enjoy their pictures and videos, in the most personalized and relaxed atmosphere there is for them, namely: "their home".

Might just work for you as well, give it a try next time !

By the way, he didn't see all that much, only beaches, should have gone Hawaii

You will find & enjoy the prices up North much better than Samui.

The local people also appear to be much more genuine up North as well.

With regards to Chilly Willy's, those steak sandwiches you had; were they cheese steak sandwiches?

I of course could go there myself,

but parking isn't easy to come by in that area,

so I typically go to Murphy's up the road,

which has great portions and quality of food.

They offer a steak sandwich,

but it's just meat between a roll,

boring as PBJ,

and not cheap either.

I would recommend you stay away from Phuket by the way.

You'll just be even more depressed there.

I lived there for two years,

and couldn't wait to get away,

but it was the first place I landed,

when I came to Thailand in 2000,

so I didn't know any better.

Terrible place...Nothing good to say about it,

so I won't say anything.

Edited by ajarnmarc