Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of your dismay Thailand is not for every one and it sounds like it is not your type of place I have been living the island life for 8 years 4 years on Koh Phangan and 4 Years on Koh Samui in all that time I have to be honest and say I have never ever had the urge to go back to my past life believe me there are many eating places on both islands where you can get a fantastic meal for much less than a 1,000 baht I only eat where Thais eat because I know the food will be good. Thong Nai Pan is a very nice area however as you say that particuler road is terrible and when you are there you are stuck my own opinion is that there are much nicer areas on Phangan . At $300 US per night I would have moved out of my property and let you had the use of it It has 4 master bedrooms all en-suite with jacuzzi's as well as huge outdoor pool and has the most wonderful views one could wish for. If I had of been in your shoes on my arrival in Bangkok I would have hired a good quality car for my vacation rather than taking planes/trains Flying to Samui by Bangkok airways is a total rip off but that is because it is a private company I would have avoided hotels and rented out private villas there are many where you can rent for a minimum of 3 nights and would have cost less than $300 per night my friend who has a beach front villa in Baan Tai Koh Phangan with pool rents his out at 10,000 baht per night. I wish you well for the rest of your holiday and hope that your next destination will live up to your expectations.

• Like 1

You've probably given up reading the replies by now anyway. But.

For background. Myself and my (Thai) wife live in PNG (I have a business there) and travel to Thailand several times a year.

For the last three years we have only stayed at Lebua. I travel heaps and see a lot of hotels. For the price (Mandarin Oriental for example is twice the price) Lebua is terrific, the rooms are large with the sitting room near the door and the bathrooms and bedding are as good as you'll find in any five star hotel in the world. We stay at the Tower Club and always get a room looking at the river. Regarding Sky Bar, you must be loaded because most people's complaint there are the prices, maybe BKK's most expensive bar. But the view is spectacular, or didn't you look? It is walking distance to the river and Skytrain. Sukhumvit is a way away but hell, I'm married and MBK and Siam are a couple of stops away. It's hard to understand you visiting one of the world's most crowded tropical cities and complain about how crowded and hot it was.

We have been around but Krabi was fantastic, we stayed at Amari Vogue. Hired a long tail boat for a couple of days and had a great time.

The rest of the time we spend in the village near Udon Thani and I love it there.

But that's just me ..

• Like 1

I think i replied to your original post on where to go in Thailand.

First things first. Im not really sure what kind of holiday you were looking for? By your choice of destinations i can only presume you were looking for the tourist trap.

I mean you enjoyed Samui so this makes me think you wanted a holiday with plenty of activities, access to western food and amenities. In that case Phuket, Samui and maybe Phi Phi would suit you! I personally find these places the equivalent of places like Majorca or Benidorm. Souless places that could be anywhere in the word.

I would of thought with a little bit of careful research that you would of found out that Phangan and Ko Lanta are not for you(bad roads, not much to do) Another problem with these places is the time of year you have visited(bang in the middle of rainy season).

Staying in 4 & 5 star hotels anywhere in the world is expensive and by the prices you quoted i have to say you have been ripped off. Thailand is not a place to come without research as if your not in the know you will be taken for a ride on every corner.

$20,000. I feel for you. Thats too much money to spend on a holiday you dont enjoy!

Hopefully Chiang Mai works out for you!

Definately over planned, and as others pointed out, staying at a 5 star resort and stating 1,000 Baht meal for two is expensive, is probably because you are more than likely eating western meals. Thailand is not expensive. You need to try the places not listed in guide books or TripAdvisor, those are tourisy places, and generally ripoffs. If you want to see nature, temples, museums, go surf or river fishing, visit the waterfalls, and a beach or two, do some research on Nakhon Si Thammarat for your next vacation, then go out and meet locals, go to a roadside kitchen for a meal or visit a local viallge market.

• Like 1

So your telling me that 1000 baht for meal for 2 at a restaurant is expensive. What counrtry are u from. Tell me how much u pay in your counrty for a restaurant meal for 2. I suppose your going to tell me u ate cheaper on your EU trip. I no u couldn't have, I have been to EU. You are obviously not interested in any culture u visited Bangkok didn't mention any cultural site u visited, just shopping centres. No Thailand is not Italy or France, or Germany. Your expectations were to high. Enjoy the people the food and the culture. It's no New York USA.

• Like 1

You should probably stay home for next vacation. Sounds like you have had a nightmare holiday..

I truly can not understand how bad your experience has been.

I have always had the time of my life.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would I stay home? I just won't come to Thailand... Or at least avoid the places I've discovered to be WAY over rated smile.png

I want to go to Switzerland for Christmas... Let's hope that doesn't end in disaster too!

Mind me asking where you went and what you did that made your trip to Thailand so amazing?

Can't say for sure but I'll guess he/she probably lived in the moment rather than posting long-winded complaints on line. Probably also avoided a rushed itinerary (gee all this in and out of airports is such a drag!) in order to get to know a place beyond first impressions, and beyond the comforts of home. Don't forget to let us all know how Christmas in Switzerland goes!

• Like 2

"5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star"...

Pure and utter ignorance...

Majority:the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total.

Are you sure about this??

there are many eating places on both islands where you can get a fantastic meal for much less than a 1,000 baht

At $300 US per night .........

I usually eat out alone with a good book or with one farang friend; spending 1000 baht in Ban Tai for 2 people, and certainly for one, would be damn near impossible. No joke, I could very easily feed 4 or even 6 on that amount; and the food would be great.

300 a night? Holy cow.....I do pay 600; but for a MONTH. For this gorgeous 1-bedroom bungalow, close to the beach but set back in a well-shaded jungle area. Methinks you stayed and ate at the wrong places?

End of my lecture; I think everyone is pointing out the mistakes you made so no need for me to pile on, it was good of you to post your thoughts at all.

post-143316-0-56124300-1377238519_thumb.

post-143316-0-74302800-1377238532_thumb.

post-143316-0-79674400-1377238550_thumb.

post-143316-0-07557500-1377238561_thumb.

• Like 2

You spent a lot..... Sometimes it's better to go cheaper..... I think people plan too much, and try to do too many things in a limited time. Sorry you were disappointed as the LOS can be a great place to be.... It has issues but on balance it's ok

Plan was to go all around the Krabi area (including Phuket), but it turns out Lanta is the worst possible place to do that from. Would have been nice to know this!

As for Pattaya why would I go there? Isn't it full of old fat dudes trying to get laid? I'm with my GF and have no need for that nonsense smile.png

Koh Lanta is an island where ferry is the only way to access, so is it any wonder is is a bad choice as a jumping off point to other locales? Krabi, or even Phuket itself, would have been a better choice.

Yes, Pattaya is a sewer, but it can be interesting just to see and experience it, ONCE. Jomtiem, just south of Pattaya, on the other hand is quite nice, or almost anywhere further south of Pattaya/Jomtien.

Strangely, you left Ayuthaya and Sukhothai off your itinary.

Since money did/does not seem to be much of an object to you, there is a truely wonderful converted Rice Barge cruise from Bangkok to Ayuthaya and back. Three days, two nights, meals included (not booze though). Very quiet and calm as you cruise the river and a great way to see the countryside. Temple tours included in the price. Not cheap, but absolutely world class.

• Like 2

Hello Neo6,

I understand your feelings but what you say I hear more times.

"I planned my trip very good", no way. You're complaining about travel times. Did you ever compare the distance between your destinations with the same distance in Europe?

Plan a trip in your home town from the same length and explain me than it could be better, faster and cheaper?

Private Taxi from Samui to Koh Lanta 5.000 Thb for a tour of more than 300 km.

You're eating steaks in fancy restaurants, sleeping in 5 star luxury resorts, well that is asking for spending money.

Ever tried the "crappy buildings and huts" along the main road on Koh Lanta to have a meal. You can have a good Thai meal for 80 Thb a person.

You obviously did not explore Thailand. Get out your resort, walk on the road, eat and drink in what you call crappy buildings and you find a cheaper Thailand.

If you like European 5 star hotels with 5 star restaurants and 5 star service, European Standards in real estate well I think you can fill it in. You only get all European standards in .......... , well done, Europe.

Change your views and planning, do some research on the internet, not with forums like this. Sorry but as sad before, this is a forum mostly visited by grumpy expats and dis appointed people.

I helped several people planning tours in Thailand and most of them are visiting Us again, some every year some every few years because they loved it.

And yes, I tell them before they come, you want to much, visit 2 to 3 places in one month maximum. Only the northern part or the southern part. Otherwise you live your holiday packing and travelling.

Thailand is a big country, not like Luxembourg which you can visit in 1 day.

Take a look at the map and compare the size with Europe and you easily see that Thailand is big, from north to south about 3.000 KM.

And you want to see all in 4 weeks.

Before I left the Netherlands (2003) we all laughed about the new tour for Chinese: Seeing the 12 countries of Europe in 21 days.

I'm living in Krabi and run a tour operator and dive shop.

Koh Lanta is a very nice place, but this time of year there is nothing to do. Koh Lanta comes alive in November and becomes very quiet after Februari.

• Like 1

Thailand is pretty cheap, you just don't know it.

They rip you off cause you don't know the local price.

Can't blame anyone but yourself to the fact for your lack of knowledge coming to place you've never been to.

Enjoy the rest of your stay. Chiang Mai is a lot better than bkk.

I sympathise .

The anxiety of transiting,.waiting & depending on airport schedules is a nightmare.

However,there are still a lot of positives in your posting.

I think you will return with a less exhausting itinerary and maybe this time ,have time to relax and enjoy Thailand

• Like 1

Incidentally your on holiday as we speak are you not,seeing as you've just spent the last four hours on TV whining like a bitch it's hardly surprising you've had a crap time,you need to get out more.

It's 10PM, most people are asleep... Most restaurants are closed. We just had dinner, had a walk on the beach and came back to the room.

Granted today I've not done an awful lot (except drive round the entire island like an idiot), although like I said there's barely anything to do on Lanta... You're kinda trapped here

Trapped trapped...Nobody trapped anywhere provided one can acces Thai Visawhistling.gif

Maybe a bit of research before taking this trip could have been an idea......

Bangkok is polluted - oh really my dear? How on earth is it possible to dont know this simple fact? Most other asian big cities are similar polluted.

Yeas traveling one hour domestic by plane is often one hour transport to airport, two hours in the airport, one hour in the air and one hour again on the NeXT airport and then one hour more to Your destination - depending of course.... This is exactly like it is every place and counry on earth more or less....

The roads on Phang ngan is terrible - there isnt a decent road on Phang Ngan and thats one of the things that makes it to the charming place it is. If you want autobahn - go to Germany....

Its impossible to eat a decent meal for 2 under 1000 baht? I havent been eating a single meal that costed me that much - ever in Thailand, and most of my meals have been decent enough. Just walk one or two strees behind the most crowded tourist ghettos and you will find.....

To travel to 7 different locations on a holiday of one month is way too much for a normal person. For a month holiday I would never go to more than 3-4 locations, even less if I havent been there before. Its just stress, travelling, more stress and then more traveling......

But hopefully one can learn from the mistakes..... :-)

• Like 1

Great story and I wouldnt blame lack of prep work.

I was in Thailand many years ago and it was truly a tropical paradise.

Now it seems its a garbage dump. They are holding onto what they think is a good place for tourists, not realizing how bad they have managed things.

Many hotels smell like wet potatoes (dank and musty)

Its fleece the tourist with no thought of what will happen in the future and as you rightly pointed out is expensive.

Lucky you didn't get into any altercation, as then you will really find out what your worth as a tourist... Jack S***T

Why would anyone want to travel to Thailand's main tourist destination, except to experience a nasty and lazy side of society.

Great Post OP....

• Like 1

To be honest I don't think research will do much, except ask questions on Tv from those who live here. That's the good thing about our forum, BUT most holiday folk know nothing about us. They all think it is a cheap place to holiday, WHICH we know is true IF one knows how to go about it. As I stated before a hotel I went to for a bit of pampering was full of farang holiday tourists paying 240 bht for a beer AND, forgot, 350 bht for a glass of red wine w00t.gif Yes, it is a rip off, but how are they to know until they get here.

• Like 1

FACT: Some people just aren't meant for Thailand, and Thailand just isn't for everyone.

Chalk it up to experience, and move on with your life.

Oh, and yes, I live in CM, have for over 5 years, and wouldn't even CONSIDER living anywhere, Thailand or otherwise.

• Like 1

Some of the best times I've had here in Thailand have been way off the tourist trail. And 100% clear of the backpacker trail. You meet locals who are really nice. Places that aren't over run with tourists. Unfortunately, to really do this, you need to have somebody who speaks Thai. Very difficult to do otherwise. But not impossible. I've had some fantastic times south of Hua Hin, all along the coast. Great times in the Golden Triangle area. And many other areas off the beaten track.

Thailand is cheaper than many other destinations, but not as cheap as it use to be 10 years ago. For me, eating street food gets old quickly. Having a nice meal is one of the pleasures of travel. Experiencing something you can't back home.

Best of luck with the rest of your trip!

Have to agree with this first paragraph. The coast south of Hua Hin is fantastic, and quiet. Great beaches, nice hotels and restraurants.

Except he has that on Koh Lanta (one of my favorite islands), but doesn't like it. So maybe quiet coastline and nice beaches is not what he wants.

Street food, on the other hand, 'can' be very good, but finding the right vendor is another matter. Street food can be worth trying, but I sure wouldn't want to live on it. For someone on holiday, maybe not a good idea as you could get sick quite easily.

I also like Nong Khai. It's a small town and fairly quiet, but has lots to offer, including quck and easy access to Laos. Udon Thai, not so much. Udon is a larger city and nothing really special there. The countryside between Udon and Nong Khai, on the other hand, can be very interesting. Just tour around sightseeing. Lots and lots of temples.

Yet the OP complains that there is nothing to do on Koh Lanta, having spent the day touring around. So maybe not his cup of tea either.

What a whiner 'travelling takes a long time' - you don't say ! cheesy.gif 'Bangkok is polluted' - with 7 million cars on the road not to mention the motorcycles and the boats spewing black smoke all over the place etc., oh what a surprise...more money than sense anyway if you can afford to blow that much money on one month.

• Like 2

I would say just bad planning on the latter part of your trip. Also 5 star hotels are not Thailand..

Have fun in Majorca next year biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good.

5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star...

And thanks but no thanks to Majorca, have a bit more adventure in me than that smile.png

5 Star Hotels are so not Thailand one small example is the fact that you spend 1000 baht per meal in a 5 Star Hotel, I spend less than that on my weekly shop, & my food bill is higher than my rent, I probably eat better than you & judging by what you've written have better accommodation as well.

You've spent$ 20k in one month and say Thailand is expensive. I'm living here for $10k a year.

But really !!! How relevant is the advice of someone living on 25k a month.. To someone whose desires are funded by 600k a month ??

Not eveyone wants to eat off plastic tables or catch a song teow..

• Like 1

You're flying almost an entire day to come here and fly back, so why would you want to fly so much around Thailand? Seriously...with less than a month here plus jet lag, you're packing too much into one trip.

I also prefer to go to a new country with a general idea of what I want to do, and to just play it by ear. It sounds like you bought all your plane tickets and hotel bookings in advance, which isn't necessary at this time of year. That way, if Koh Lanta turns out to be shit, pack up and move on the next day.

I'm also not a fan of fancy resorts unless I really know the area and I'm with some good friends. I much prefer the 2,000 - 3,500 baht types of places. I think you'd like Khao Yai, Pranburi, Hua Hin types of places. Lots of good outdoor stuff to do, plenty of adventure, and decent tourists (domestic and international). Chiang Mai should be good for 2-3 days...though I don't like any of those (drugged) tiger sanctuaries.