Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say just bad planning on the latter part of your trip. Also 5 star hotels are not Thailand..

Have fun in Majorca next year biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good.

5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star...

And thanks but no thanks to Majorca, have a bit more adventure in me than that smile.png

Blame yourself if you had a bad experience. You seemed to have planned badly with your eyes wide shut.

I mean...BKK has a pollution problem, and that came as a shock!

Holy Cow Batman.....to the batmobile and off to Sin City, for surely the Joker is up to his evil tricks again, he's polluted Bangkok and the tourists are revolting!w00t.gif

You obviously completely missed the point of my post, did you even read past the first paragraph?

Of course I knew Bangkok was polluted, I'm not stupid. I was just summarizing overall Bangkok as a city and pollution was one point of it. I actually don't regret staying in Bangkok, it's the Phangan and Lanta parts of the holiday I regret thus far

• Like 2

I planned poorly and yet I spent 2 weeks researching everything I could, looking on booking.com, TripAdvisor, these forums, 2 other Thai forums. Took advice from loads of people and put together the best locations and hotels I could find at the time.

I'd say I did more planning than most actually xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Maybe you'll have more fun up here in CM when you get to that part. I live here, so don't do the holiday planning much any more. However, when I did used to come on holidays, I always spent most of my time up north (CM and above) - Ayuttaya on occasion (the old capital) but only for the temples and old palace (did that water park ever open????). I think real tourists (like you - as opposed to those that just come for the booze and sex - or to sit in a spa/hotel/resort for the entire time by a pool) tend to be either beachbums, sightseers or sporties (my names for them). The former love the islands and beach places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Hui Hin, Phuket, the Kohs, etc. The second like to back pack travel about - these people like Ayutaya, the north generally, Kanchanaburi (death railway/bridge over the river kwai/pow graveyard) and quick visits to places like Mini-Siam (Pattaya), Old City(Bkk), snake/crocodile/silk/butterfly/orchid farms (everywhere). The latter like white water rafting and trekking (Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai) and diving (see beach areas).

So depends what sort you are - and you should have planned your holiday accordingly. Guest Houses and smaller hotels are often much more fun here in my view - you meet more interesting people (if any in 4/5 star hotels) and often nearer to the life.

Where are you staying in CM? Plenty to see up here - lots of tours to do and stuff to do in the city itself (new shopping mall too as that was your Bkk highlight lol!)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

We are staying in Bodhi Serene hotel in Chiang Mai for 3 nights (it's very central) and then going to Pai for 2 nights (staying in Pai Island Resort) for a total chill out. Knowing what I know now I probably would have stayed at least 7 nights in the North instead of 5, to allow a bit more flexibility with travel.

I had down the Baan Chang or Thai Elephant Conservation Centre and also Tiger Kingdom, all of which are meant to treat the animals very well

Thailand obviously isn't for you.

Next year go somewhere suitable

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So you believe Thailand is just for people with dirty hair and massive backpacks or what? Because I consider myself someone who likes to explore and see real places... I hate the idea of being trapped in some silly resort on a package holiday

• Like 1

No Phuket or Pattaya on your itinerary, OP?

Plan was to go all around the Krabi area (including Phuket), but it turns out Lanta is the worst possible place to do that from. Would have been nice to know this!

As for Pattaya why would I go there? Isn't it full of old fat dudes trying to get laid? I'm with my GF and have no need for that nonsense smile.png

You should probably stay home for next vacation. Sounds like you have had a nightmare holiday..

I truly can not understand how bad your experience has been.

I have always had the time of my life.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would I stay home? I just won't come to Thailand... Or at least avoid the places I've discovered to be WAY over rated smile.png

I want to go to Switzerland for Christmas... Let's hope that doesn't end in disaster too!

Mind me asking where you went and what you did that made your trip to Thailand so amazing?

Maybe you'll have more fun up here in CM when you get to that part. I live here, so don't do the holiday planning much any more. However, when I did used to come on holidays, I always spent most of my time up north (CM and above) - Ayuttaya on occasion (the old capital) but only for the temples and old palace (did that water park ever open????). I think real tourists (like you - as opposed to those that just come for the booze and sex - or to sit in a spa/hotel/resort for the entire time by a pool) tend to be either beachbums, sightseers or sporties (my names for them). The former love the islands and beach places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Hui Hin, Phuket, the Kohs, etc. The second like to back pack travel about - these people like Ayutaya, the north generally, Kanchanaburi (death railway/bridge over the river kwai/pow graveyard) and quick visits to places like Mini-Siam (Pattaya), Old City(Bkk), snake/crocodile/silk/butterfly/orchid farms (everywhere). The latter like white water rafting and trekking (Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai) and diving (see beach areas).

So depends what sort you are - and you should have planned your holiday accordingly. Guest Houses and smaller hotels are often much more fun here in my view - you meet more interesting people (if any in 4/5 star hotels) and often nearer to the life.

Where are you staying in CM? Plenty to see up here - lots of tours to do and stuff to do in the city itself (new shopping mall too as that was your Bkk highlight lol!)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

We are staying in Bodhi Serene hotel in Chiang Mai for 3 nights (it's very central) and then going to Pai for 2 nights (staying in Pai Island Resort) for a total chill out. Knowing what I know now I probably would have stayed at least 7 nights in the North instead of 5, to allow a bit more flexibility with travel.

I had down the Baan Chang or Thai Elephant Conservation Centre and also Tiger Kingdom, all of which are meant to treat the animals very well

Yes think a few beach days and then sightseeing in the North would have suited you better - think I'd not have bothered with Pai either (can get there easily enough from CM for a day/night trip - but anything there that CM doesn't have really - and a whole lot less to do - pretty though). Don't know the hotel - Google Maps puts it in the old city not far from Thaipae Gate - should be fine, might be a bit of a nightmare on Sunday (see here http://www.visitchiangmai.com.au/sunday_market.html)

• Like 2

You got stooged at Chaweng Regent. current advertised rate is between Bt5000 and Bt,7000........ or were you staying in the Royal sute @ Bt11,000?

Welcome to Thailand, so far all of your listed destinations I adore and have the most amazing relaxing time (although I thought Samui to be a bit meh).

Phi Phi is spectacular, I hope you enjoy.

You should probably stay home for next vacation. Sounds like you have had a nightmare holiday..

I truly can not understand how bad your experience has been.

I have always had the time of my life.

Why would I stay home? I just won't come to Thailand... Or at least avoid the places I've discovered to be WAY over rated Posted Image

I want to go to Switzerland for Christmas... Let's hope that doesn't end in disaster too!

Mind me asking where you went and what you did that made your trip to Thailand so amazing?

Cant help ya mate. Your mind is made up.

Good luck enjoying your next voyage.

Try to keep an open mind. Get involved more with the locals. Stay away from franchised 5 star resorts.

And gobtake your face for a shit

• Like 1

I do agree Thailand is over rated. Maybe you have planned too much, having too high expectation. That's why you get so disappointed.

Try not to expect much for the remaining trip. You might feel better or even surprised.

Wishing you all the best in your trip:)

Thank you for the kind wishes, you're probably right I did over plan and expected too much. Hopefully Chiang Mai will be a nice end