Bought land and.........

akampa

Congrats, but not exactly your purchase is it?

It was a given that somebody would post that comment and it didn't take very long.

The other two replies aren't even worth passing comment on, in my opinion.

Glad your purchase went smoothly. Try to ignore the rabble - they can only judge others by the company they themselves keep.

I'm sorry you are offended.Was anything I said incorrect or out of order?

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We leased some land from a relative that when she dies the land will belong to my wife. I thought my wife was going to use her paternal uncle to build her house, but her mother wanted her brothers to work. They started the job and I have no disagreement with their work, they did a good to a point. That point was reached when they came to my wife and wanted more money. They wanted 500 baht more per square meter more than what their contract was for. I watched them come by and try to argue with my wife, first one then two then all four uncles tried to browbeat her. She told them to stick to the deal or she'd pay them to a certain point and get someone else to finish. She remained steadfast and paid them off without to many hard feelings. Their sister wanted them to build her a home just a block away from their homes and their thinking that'd work out better for them. Sometimes things don't work out as you wanted them to. Their sister isn't easy to work for.

My wife then she hired the person I wanted from the beginning, her paternal uncle. He was a joy from the beginning to work with and reworked the porch which was way too small and had a quality electrician and a plumber come in to do things right. It's a small home only 140 sq. meters two bedrooms two baths with a computer room and utility room. The three water producing rooms have they're own Thai septic system. The largest instant water heater we could find produces enough water to fill the 2 person jetted tub in bathroom and hot enough for our dishwasher. Two pumps are used for household water, one to fill the large tank and another to send it to the house.

we're back in the US now but will return in three months. But this home is paid for entirely by my wife, I'll live there quite happy, but feel proud of how hard she has worked to produce her own dream. I was happy to move out of the cabin at my MIL house, we'd stayed at too long smile.png

Edited by mogoso

It was a given that somebody would post that comment and it didn't take very long.

Glad your purchase went smoothly. Try to ignore the rabble - they can only judge others by the company they themselves keep.

Very nicely put. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. I wish there were more, and hope there are, more expatriates feeling like you!!

bought land, condo, car, motorbike etc etc on wive's name. After more than 17 years still happily together. Those cynics must have chosen wives according to their own tastes and characters, karma!

From what I've seen entirely down to luck.

Many like to claim it's all down to choice as they can then say theirs is different.

• Like 1

No its not all bad news when here in Thailand buying land or a house with a Thai wife but in our countries we would NOT only put it the wifes name so as not knowing what the future holds its best to do some commonsense things. Best to be married if intending to live together in the house. Then if you split you will at least be legally entittled to 50% of the sale price.. lease the house back when complete so as if you wish you can stay there for the remainder of the lease term... Also never forget that the wife could die before you so get her to make a Will leving the house to you.. live happily ever after..Now if the wife was not prepared to do these simple things then best to not go ahead with the purchase...

• Like 1

....and another Thai lady suddenly goes up in the world courtesy of the falang...house next and her dreams come true.

(the cynic in me)

...and that 's how it works here....it's just a matter of time...and they are very patient folks...

Absolute TOSH ! Cynical, bitter comment !

• Like 1

Good stories, horror stories, some of each on TV, but a smart guy would still take a mortgage on the property if it's his money. Also, she can own the land, but you can own the building. There are some nice places here www.thailannahome.com that you can take with you if it all goes pear shaped. Apparently Thai Lanna are at the top end of the prices for this type of house, but I'm sure there are others.

• Like 1

akampa, thanks for sharing Chapter 1 and yes, please keep us posted with the rest of the book.

Interesting to note that Gonsalviz (the guy with the wreck of a house) hired a European builder! I'd been toying with that idea. No longer.

First time I transferred 'big' money to my partner (to buy the car) I hit 'Enter' and said, 'Right, that's it, that's gone, and what's the worst that can happen? I'll lose the lot, that's what. So how does it differ from England? In England I'd have to pay two sets of lawyers and my partner. Sweet!!'

• Like 1

I have bought 2 plots of land for my wife, one we live on and the other because it was so cheap it could only go up in value, thus ensuring her a retirement fund. I have a 20 year lease on the house and land, registered at the land office. I also have no illusions about my legal standing. I trust my wife, but if something were to happen to her, i'm screwed, her cousin was over to the house one New Years Eve, had a few drinks, told me that this is his house. I just laughed at him, as long as my wife is alive he'll never get it, and when she isn't i don't care. I bought the house for her, i wanted her to have it because she had nothing and i love her. When i give a gift, i don't expect to gain from it, or get it back.

you're a good man!

you are absolutely right about that, if your wife pass away, you loose the house.

hope it does not come to that any time soon. all the best.

• Like 1

Not your purchase, but her purchase.

Your passport copy and the form you signed, confirmed her purchase and your money was not used.

(In other words, on divorce no sharing, all hers)

But strangely if bought when married it is still shared on divorce 50/50. If bought before then not.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

50/50 on divorce? That's news to me. I've never heard of a Thai/Falang divorce (and I've done a lot of research) which ended with this judgement. Maybe the law has changed and I missed it.

Can you quote a reference, please, as I am sure there are a lot of guys out there apart from me who would like reassurance!

akampa, thanks for sharing Chapter 1 and yes, please keep us posted with the rest of the book.

Interesting to note that Gonsalviz (the guy with the wreck of a house) hired a European builder! I'd been toying with that idea. No longer.

First time I transferred 'big' money to my partner (to buy the car) I hit 'Enter' and said, 'Right, that's it, that's gone, and what's the worst that can happen? I'll lose the lot, that's what. So how does it differ from England? In England I'd have to pay two sets of lawyers and my partner. Sweet!!'

Whether you hire a European or a Thai builder you must realise they are looking after their interests not yours.

If you do not have construction experience then the best way would be to hire a (European) Project Manager, his contract is with you, looking after your best interests and he/she interfaces with the builder on your behalf to ensure that the construction is carried out in accordance with the plans, on budget using acceptable quality materials as specified and reasonable workmanship.

Depending on what stage you employ them, they should be able to assist in design review, preparation of contract documentation, tender analysis and negotiation and practical design recommendations to overcome the inevitable problems encountered during the project.

If you were building a house in Europe or USA, firstly it is unlikely that you would hire your ex-postman or butcher to build your house, but you would be amazed how many people do in Thailand and secondly you probably would not consider yourself qualified to oversee the project.

No construction project ever runs entirely smoothly there will be issues, budget for a monthly consultants fee and have a 'professional' working for you, looking after your interests and you may avoid many of the 'horror' stories we have all heard.

(and yes, I am a PM, but no, I am not fishing for work)

• Like 1

Why didn't you put the car on your name?

....and another Thai lady suddenly goes up in the world courtesy of the falang...house next and her dreams come true.

(the cynic in me)

...and that 's how it works here....it's just a matter of time...and they are very patient folks...

Absolute TOSH ! Cynical, bitter comment !

...and you live here how long?....or maybe you are the 'lucky' ONE?rolleyes.gif

A useful addition is to get a 30 year lease on the land (In your name) which is just a limited precaution.

And that is not a given either. I tried to arrange that but the local ampour lands office would not countenance it (saying me & my wife did not constitute an arms length agreement).

I satisfied myself by having the Fortuner in my name!!

Let us know when the rest of the family suddenly move in and you take a back seat.

Thais have a well deserved reputation.... But I know somewhere, there must be one going against the grain and actually doing it for love. I hope its you and I hope I am terribly wrong.

Good luck mate and aside from my comment, I really do hope you can photolog the build for us and enjoy your life in harmony.

I bought a house and put it in my daughters name. Since we both are parents the house cant be sold with both of us agreeing.

My daughter is two now, means 16 more years of us having control... whistling.gif

And, yes, i am the father according to Thai law, my baby has my countries passport and the Thai Passport, of course.

The house is in a village, they started 5 years ago and learned from mistakes, i got a nearly perfect house. Apart from small snick-shnack like a roof for the terrace it is really well build, the workers

are mostly Thais, on average 7 years old... w00t.gif

So it is possible to get good quality for a good price but one has to know what to look for.

Would be happy to read more about the OPs development and i am happy to read something positive on TVisa.

And the interesting thing is, only one named parent has control of the child's property.

(Named by mutual consent of both parents at time of registering property in child's name)

Someone has control of that house for the next 16 years.

I'm guessing as you didn't know that, the person isn't you.

I bought a house and put it in my daughters name. Since we both are parents the house cant be sold with both of us agreeing.

My daughter is two now, means 16 more years of us having control... whistling.gif

And, yes, i am the father according to Thai law, my baby has my countries passport and the Thai Passport, of course.

The house is in a village, they started 5 years ago and learned from mistakes, i got a nearly perfect house. Apart from small snick-shnack like a roof for the terrace it is really well build, the workers

are mostly Thais, on average 7 years old... w00t.gif

So it is possible to get good quality for a good price but one has to know what to look for.

Would be happy to read more about the OPs development and i am happy to read something positive on TVisa.

And the interesting thing is, only one named parent has control of the child's property.

(Named by mutual consent of both parents at time of registering property in child's name)

Someone has control of that house for the next 16 years.

I'm guessing as you didn't know that, the person isn't you.

Ouch!

Forgot.

It can't be sold at all by anyone, until child is 20.

You need a court order to sell a child's property, and the courts don't cooperate.

akampa,

Good luck on the building. From my experience....make sure you check that the plumbing is installed to YOUR satisfaction (code in your home country).

Make sure you have plenty of electrical outlets, lights and amps at the breaker box/extra knockouts too! Insulation in the attic( with an exhaust fan) insulating wall brick (air block) will keep you electric bill reasonable even if you use aircon. Make sure you use the 8" drain pipe for your yard drains - the small concrete ones won't be adequate.

It would be interesting if people posted how much of their net assets the land and property they are giving to their Thai wives represents.

So lets say land and a house are 10% of a persons assets. not so bad to walk away from. But if you are spending 50% your whole retirement fund. Yikes.

• Like 2

It would be interesting if people posted how much of their net assets the land and property they are giving to their Thai wives represents.

So lets say land and a house are 10% of a persons assets. not so bad to walk away from. But if you are spending 50% your whole retirement fund. Yikes.

Interesting. Of course going into it no one thinks they will ever want to walk away some day. I've seen Thai women change (perhaps reveal their true colors) once the deal is sealed. The personality change makes the guy want to walk away.

Edited by mesquite

I have bought 2 plots of land for my wife, one we live on and the other because it was so cheap it could only go up in value, thus ensuring her a retirement fund. I have a 20 year lease on the house and land, registered at the land office. I also have no illusions about my legal standing. I trust my wife, but if something were to happen to her, i'm screwed, her cousin was over to the house one New Years Eve, had a few drinks, told me that this is his house. I just laughed at him, as long as my wife is alive he'll never get it, and when she isn't i don't care. I bought the house for her, i wanted her to have it because she had nothing and i love her. When i give a gift, i don't expect to gain from it, or get it back.

you're a good man!

you are absolutely right about that, if your wife pass away, you loose the house.

hope it does not come to that any time soon. all the best.

I would dispute what you say about losing the house.

As far as I am aware your wife may bequeath you the property in her will but you have to sell the land with one year to a Thai or it will be purchased from you by the government at whatever they deem to be a fair price, less their 5 per cent fee.

If there is no will and she has many relatives it could become a real bunfight.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Forgot.

It can't be sold at all by anyone, until child is 20.

You need a court order to sell a child's property, and the courts don't cooperate.

Fragments of knowledge?

Can it be sold or not?

i doubt that only one parent has control, can you shed more light on this?

It needs a court order to become father.

After this it is equal, in case of divorce 50/50 when you are married.

Sometimes i wish a few Thais here would enlighten us on the law.

What happens if you die? Say you fall off a balcony on holiday at the beach in Pattaya rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

What does your will say as regard to "accidental death"? I guess the surviving parent has control.......

Why would Thais want you to know the law, isn't it whatever you can pay for and what nationality you are? xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p