I am forever complaining about lack of storage on the bike...

BSJ

What storage are you lacking? I have a tailbox on the back, and a basket on the front, can put a basket on the passenger seat tied down. For some reason Thai people will not have a tailbox on their bike. My wife and her brothers refuse to ride my bike because of the tailbox. Has anyone ever seen a Thai ride a bike with a tailbox on it?

Nice but don't think it's legal here and what happens it you brake really really hard?

Storage is a major problem on a bike, we use our truck typically twice a week for going big time shopping for the house hold. It would be next to impossible for us to do it on a bike with a son in the house.

When I was young I was on a touring trip with 4 other bikes on my Yamaha SR500 to Southern Europa and I was carrying tent, sleeping bag and clothes(not much, ha-ha) and I didn't have any side bags or tank bag (student then, no money) so all was strapped behind me on the passenger part of the seat. Ahh what a trip it was, I still think about it, I think the best touring trip I ever did in my life.

At least here in Thailand you don't have to carry tent and sleeping bag unless you are the jungle kind of person.

When you see what the Thais can carry on a bike holy cow, 3 passengers, a huge gas bottle and all sorts of stuff and I see the odd expat with his golf club bag getting transported on a bike a well.

Where there is a will there is a way but safe? Hmm

What storage are you lacking? I have a tailbox on the back, and a basket on the front, can put a basket on the passenger seat tied down. For some reason Thai people will not have a tailbox on their bike. My wife and her brothers refuse to ride my bike because of the tailbox. Has anyone ever seen a Thai ride a bike with a tailbox on it?

"Has anyone ever seen a Thai ride a bike with a tailbox on it?" Well yer, there's one Thai guy up Thepprasit Rd I see every week who has one.

Generally there's the safe way to carry stuff and the Thai way. If seems big screen TV's, 2 door fridges or 7 relatives and the dog are OK until sh1t happens. Then it's was the farang's fault!

• Like 1

"Nice but don't think it's legal here and what happens it you brake really really hard?"

Sorry I can't give you an answer. I assume most people would have brakes on the trailer.

PS: I just checked a few sites and no mention of brakes! facepalm.gif

Edited by BSJ

I have a large Givi box on my PCX 150 but often need more room when hauling goods home from Big C or Home Pro. I have 2 reusable cloth bags (bought at Big C) that I tie together at the handles and throw them over the seat like saddle bags. I'm always amazed how much stuff we can haul back home. When not in use, I fold them up and keep them under the seat.

Nice but don't think it's legal here and what happens it you brake really really hard?

Storage is a major problem on a bike, we use our truck typically twice a week for going big time shopping for the house hold. It would be next to impossible for us to do it on a bike with a son in the house.

When I was young I was on a touring trip with 4 other bikes on my Yamaha SR500 to Southern Europa and I was carrying tent, sleeping bag and clothes(not much, ha-ha) and I didn't have any side bags or tank bag (student then, no money) so all was strapped behind me on the passenger part of the seat. Ahh what a trip it was, I still think about it, I think the best touring trip I ever did in my life.

At least here in Thailand you don't have to carry tent and sleeping bag unless you are the jungle kind of person.

When you see what the Thais can carry on a bike holy cow, 3 passengers, a huge gas bottle and all sorts of stuff and I see the odd expat with his golf club bag getting transported on a bike a well.

Where there is a will there is a way but safe? Hmm

Try this...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Maybe he's not lacking storage. Maybe he just likes to complain.

"Nice but don't think it's legal here and what happens it you brake really really hard?"

Sorry I can't give you an answer. I assume most people would have brakes on the trailer.

Inertia brakes are probably available- they're pretty common on trailers.

I have a large Givi box on my PCX 150 but often need more room when hauling goods home from Big C or Home Pro. I have 2 reusable cloth bags (bought at Big C) that I tie together at the handles and throw them over the seat like saddle bags. I'm always amazed how much stuff we can haul back home. When not in use, I fold them up and keep them under the seat.

I haven't got my SHAD mounted on the PCX150 yet but we do carry quite a load home from Makro each week!

Inertia brakes are probably available- they're pretty common on trailers.

Yes, on medium and big trailers being towed behind cars and pick-ups.

post-31633-0-06634700-1377312645_thumb.j

I like the solution implemented by the mobile market stalls, if I could come up with a safe and stylish version for my bike I'd do something similar. Although my market runs don't need that capacity.

Baskets at the front look tacky and interfere with headlights, enclosed panniers will always end up with gunk and detritus in the bottom, a pannier made from some type of plastic (sunlight will destroy it) or bamboo basket seems the best option.

I live in Mae Sariang. I bought a tailbox for my wife's Scoopy about two years ago, to stop her hanging shopping on the handle bars or resting it on the floor by her legs. I also put one on my Click. Since then it's surprising how many Thai's have followed suit. There's one good motor bike shop / repairer in town. Order one day, arrives from Chiang Mai the next day and then fitted in 15 minutes for under 2,000 baht.

I got SW motec side panniers on the bike that you can put on there and take off they take care of the storage problem. I really did not like my sports bikes without something like that as its bad you cant store a thing. I kept using the scooter instead of the big bike.

I got SW motec side panniers on the bike that you can put on there and take off they take care of the storage problem. I really did not like my sports bikes without something like that as its bad you cant store a thing. I kept using the scooter instead of the big bike.

Hi Robblok, can you post a picture of your panniers? The ones in the pic look like alloy boxes!

post-63954-0-60182500-1377356650_thumb.j

I used to have a very simple steel tube frame trailer for my bike in Thailand.

Simple bolt welded to the back of the bike and 2 nuts for fastening.

No brakes or shocks, just a pair of wheels from a dream.

It wasnt the safest thing but certainly practical and fun. Had to be dead straight when breaking heavily to avoid the trailer swinging out.

But it was so much nicer and easier to drive than the sidecars which always pull left.

When loaded it actually worked like a pair of giant stabilisers making impossible manouvers possible!

Had many a time with 12 scuba diving tanks in the back speeding round corners at 90kmh! Not so young and reckless now so different thoughts regarding safety....but it really was fun!

Plus if driven responsibly is great addition to any bike. Cheap to build, removable and enough storage to move a small apartment.

I used to have a very simple steel tube frame trailer for my bike in Thailand.

Simple bolt welded to the back of the bike and 2 nuts for fastening.

No brakes or shocks, just a pair of wheels from a dream.

It wasnt the safest thing but certainly practical and fun. Had to be dead straight when breaking heavily to avoid the trailer swinging out.

But it was so much nicer and easier to drive than the sidecars which always pull left.

When loaded it actually worked like a pair of giant stabilisers making impossible manouvers possible!

Had many a time with 12 scuba diving tanks in the back speeding round corners at 90kmh! Not so young and reckless now so different thoughts regarding safety....but it really was fun!

Plus if driven responsibly is great addition to any bike. Cheap to build, removable and enough storage to move a small apartment.

Twelve scuba tanks would be around 150kg! Plus the weight of the trailer. What was the tow bike?