Just how harmful can that Chemical be ... ?

David48

Just how harmful can that Chemical be ... ?

Don't know if anyone else has done this before ... so a general thread about the dangerous and safe chemicals that we are exposed to on a yearly, monthly, daily basis.

Feel free to drop by the thread and pose the question and hopefully, someone else has the answers.

I'll kick it off as I have a question ...

Lots of Termites where I am staying at the Farm, and like most Farms, there are a variety of chemicals in the shed to kill just about anything ... including you if used wrongly!

So to fight the Termite menace, I was entrusted with the following ...

post-104736-0-22121800-1377232902_thumb. post-104736-0-46073700-1377232917_thumb. post-104736-0-84850200-1377232946_thumb.

Just did the best I could to mix at the appropriate rate and was hoping for a spray bottle, but was given a long handled brass pump pipe on which the rubber gaskets has shrunk with age and the stuff leaked and ran down my arms.

I also inhaled some of the vapors ... much to my detriment.

Anyone know anything about the product or chemical?

Thanks

David48 cowboy.gif

David

if it is as useful against the ants as against you ( didnt kill you obviously), then better change for some serious one?

another note: why the family wants you dead, that entrust you with defective sprayer...suspect they know about that fault...any reason?

• Like 1

HEALTH. - Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. - Avoid any skin contact. - Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. - Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and / or toxic gases. - Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and / or toxic and cause pollution. FIRE OR EXPLOSION. - Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and / or toxic fumes. - Containers may explode when heated. - Runoff may pollute waterways.
PUBLIC SAFETY.
- CALL Emergency Response Telephone Number on Shipping Paper first. If Shipping Paper not available or no answer, refer to appropriate telephone number listed on the inside back cover. - As an immediate precautionary measure, isolate spill or leak area in all directions for at least 50 meters (150 feet) for liquids and at least 25 meters (75 feet) for solids. - Keep unauthorized personnel away. - Stay upwind. - Keep out of low areas. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. - Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). - Wear chemical protective clothing that is specifically recommended by the manufacturer. It may provide little or no thermal protection. - Structural firefighters' protective clothing provides limited protection in fire situations ONLY; it is not effective in spill situations where direct contact with the substance is possible. EVACUATION. Spill. - See Table 1 - Initial Isolation and Protective Action Distances for highlighted materials. For non-highlighted materials, increase, in the downwind direction, as necessary, the isolation distance shown under "PUBLIC SAFETY". Fire. - If tank, rail car or tank truck is involved in a fire, ISOLATE for 800 meters (1/2 mile) in all directions; also, consider initial evacuation for 800 meters (1/2 mile) in all directions.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE.
FIRE. Small Fire. - Dry chemical, CO2 or water spray. Large Fire. - Water spray, fog or regular foam. - Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. - Dike fire-control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. - Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. Fire involving Tanks or Car / Trailer Loads. - Fight fire from maximum distance or use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles. - Do not get water inside containers. - Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. - Withdraw immediately in case of rising sound from venting safety devices or discoloration of tank. - ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire. - For massive fire, use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn. SPILL OR LEAK. - Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. - Stop leak if you can do it without risk. - Prevent entry into waterways, sewers, basements or confined areas. - Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. - Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. - DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS. FIRST AID. - Move victim to fresh air. - Call 911 or emergency medical service. - Give artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. - Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; give artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. - Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult. - Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. - In case of contact with substance, immediately flush skin or eyes with running water for at least 20 minutes. - For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin. - Keep victim warm and quiet. - Effects of exposure (inhalation, ingestion or skin contact) to substance may be delayed. - Ensure that medical personnel are aware of the material (s) involved and take precautions to protect themselves.

ACTIVE INGREDIENT alpha-CYPERMETHRIN.

• Like 2

^^ Mate ... thanks for that ... here I was a little worried that it mightn't be any good for my health.

I can rest easier now.

SH**IT ... thanks for that ... I got fairly sick when I inhaled the fumes ... so I was concerned.

Sorry David what I posted is the risk classification that the UN puts on this type of stuff without testing it.

Low risk politically Here there has been no registration of safety documents for the product.

The important words are the active ingredient the last line I posted. It is present at 4% by volume

Google that stuff and measure your own risk

• Like 1

Lots of Termites where I am staying at the Farm, and like most Farms, there are a variety of chemicals in the shed to kill just about anything ... including you if used wrongly!

So to fight the Termite menace, I was entrusted with the following ...

attachicon.gifP8190015LR.JPG attachicon.gifP8190016LR.JPG attachicon.gifP8190018LR.JPG

Just did the best I could to mix at the appropriate rate and was hoping for a spray bottle, but was given a long handled brass pump pipe on which the rubber gaskets has shrunk with age and the stuff leaked and ran down my arms.

I also inhaled some of the vapors ... much to my detriment.

Anyone know anything about the product or chemical?

Thanks

David48 cowboy.gif

David

Omg - R.I.P..........

Just a reminder guys if anyone keeps any Paraquat, I suggest locking it away. It is usually a greeny coloured liquid in about a five litre bottle. It is banned in Europe, I'm not sure whether because of harm to the environment or the numbers of suicide cases. It is one of the more popular methods for people to top themselves in poor countries. In my village there have been at least 2 that I know of over the time I have been here. As a defoliant it is pretty effective but it doesn't kill anything, it all comes straight back at least in my experience anyway. And that is why I don't use it except as a last resort, compared to brushcutting at 200bht per rai it is more expensive.

• Like 1

I remember using a mister on the back of a ute back home spraying paddocks for red legged earth mites etc with cypermetherin.

If you had the window down abit and turned on the breeze it would come thru the cab giving a burning sensation across your face,quite unpleasant as its designed to enter the nervous system.

I met two farmers in Switzerland with their legs amputated. Both had spilled undiluted product onto their legs and carried on working.

Here's a suggestion: how about getting a list together, photo of container, link to a page relating to toxicity, personal experience. A lot of work I know but it might be worth doing?

I sprayed Bayticol (ticks) all over the house including the attic, wearing impermeable clothing plus mask. The product worked and I was very lethargic for a week, even beer didn't help, so this is something to be used sparingly.

I met two farmers in Switzerland with their legs amputated. Both had spilled undiluted product onto their legs and carried on working.

Here's a suggestion: how about getting a list together, photo of container, link to a page relating to toxicity, personal experience. A lot of work I know but it might be worth doing?

I sprayed Bayticol (ticks) all over the house including the attic, wearing impermeable clothing plus mask. The product worked and I was very lethargic for a week, even beer didn't help, so this is something to be used sparingly.

even beer didn't help, so this is something to be used sparingly.

Use beer sparingly??ermm.gif

Mate ... I'm happy that this tread gets closed if you can put together a format that works.

I'm just trying to keep everyone safe and I see the merit in your suggestion.

A more structured approach ... though maybe a little hard to maintain the discipline in the longer term?

Personally I happy that people are thinking before spraying, protecting themselves and almost as important ... thinking about how and where they store the chemicals ... as that can also be a killer in the same vein as kids thinking medicine tablets are lollies.

David ; Thanks for generating this topic because it is a reminder for all of us to be proactive in the safe use of chemicals , and trying to do the best we can to safeguard the future health of those close to us. But as most of us know it is a hard road to travel, about two years my daughter in law came to me and asked for money to buy herbicide to spray before planting the cassava crop . At the time she was 4-5 months pregnant, so I said thats fine but I have to know the name of the chemical you intend to use so as I could check it out for banned substances and safety precautions for the use of such chemicals . Her reply was it is the same stuff everybody else was using and would not name the product. The land did not get sprayed and she cuold not understand why!

• Like 1

Thankfully my family figures I am to frail to be exposed to chemicals. Any herbicide or other spraying that is to be done is not done by me. They even seem to get upset when I use DEET but I think that is mostly because of the smell.

As a side note, out of guilt I routinely buy safety gear for them to use (gloves, goggles, masks, boots, etc.), they say its too hot for that stuff and that the skin rashes go away in a day or so.

Edited by Dakling

• 11 months later...