Help a mama out! First family holiday...

Hi everyone. Nice forum you've got going on here, very polite and helpful. Thank-you.

Now to the point....

Heading to Thailand in October for six weeks with my little family. I've come here for help for reasons stated above. Haha. We've got two kids and I kid you not, this is the first family holiday we have ever been on. Pathetic huh? We've, ah, been through some stuff. My other half's mother passed away and that triggered off a whole load of crap; lies, betrayal, betrayal, lies....wah wah wah. Well we got through it and have managed to come out of it pretty bloody happy. Go us.

So, we fly into Bangkok, few days there then fly to Koh Samui. I posted in the introduce ones self thread and someone replied not to go to Samui as weather no good then. Too late, flights are booked. Picked there as is set up for family holidays. My partner has not been overseas before, I'm a pilot's daughter and have a fair bit but travelling with kids is far different to travelling as one. Also, the water park is there and they have swimming lessons for kids. We live out in the middle of the Aussie bush, swimming lessons would be good.

When we started looking at places to stay, we came to the (probably stupid) conclusion that it would be a good idea to get married while we are there. So yes, we are going to do the clichéd thing and be married while there. Even more clichéd, we are going to do it the day before the full moon party and of course go to the party. Hey! We might not go so much anymore but we did meet at a party all those years ago and we want to check it out. We also think that Koh Phangan looks absolutely amazing and after reading what you all have to say who live there, I'm looking forward to finding the quiet pockets and beautiful places.

I'm wondering though if there is enough for the girls there, they are six and three. We had planned to just spend the last two weeks of November there, the rest of the time on Samui. Cheap and cheerful accommodation on Samui and rent a swanky villa or house for getting married and honeymoon. Do we need to book now or will we be able to find one when we get there? I've asked for a few quotes all ready, our favourite house is 95000baht for 14 nights as we are there over full moon period or 80000baht if we book it for 30 days. Haha. So more time on Samui or Phangan? Do I not book and we will get something we love when we are there? Questions, questions! We want this part to be pretty good, it's kind of important! I wouldn't like to leave it and then not get something we love. I don't know what to do. I've been reading the threads and a lot of people say that there is plenty of places all year round, especially away from Haad Rin.

Thank-you all in advance. I'm a bit lost for choice and all that! I didn't really get to the point all that quickly did I? I'm a mother, I don't get out much. :P I hope it's okay that I posted this here!

~ren

Skip Samiu, head to Chaloklum on Koh Phangan rent a jeep, a house and chill. I also know of a wedding planner and celebrant there in the area as well as a few villa owners that would be willing to do better than 80-90k

contact me via private message if you want info.

you wont regret it. though october can be tetchy weather wise it is certainly better than november.

there is plenty to do on phangan, and doing nothing there aint too bad either

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk
  • Like 1

I'd skip Samui too. There's a reason I live on KPG tongue.png

Most of KPG is quiet & beautiful, it's the SW party district that is noisy (basically, Had Rin and the road from Had Rin to Thong Sala). The only thing KPG doesn't have that Samui does is shopping and all that <deleted> (everything that involves ugly buildings, noise and wasting money). Of course, KPG does have the basic stuff everyone needs - groceries, basic electronics, clothes, tools etc.

On KPG, Thong Nai Pan is a fantastic place with kids. Excellent beach, especially for your kids, accommodation from budget (~400-600 baht/night) to pricey (10,000+ baht/night), quiet & possibly some of the most beautiful surroundings on KPG. That's where I'd go with kids. I can't imagine you having any problems whatsoever finding accommodation in October, though if you're aiming at the super expensive luxury segment (80,000+ baht/month), I have no idea how early those need to be booked. I pay 10,000 baht / month for a nice, modern bungalow with seaviews, and I can find several of those by simply driving around - and most of them will be empty in October. Heck, in October I'd get them for 8,000 without even negotiating. There's nobody on KPG in October-November, just me & the monkeys.

You do know, don't you, that November is the rainiest month of the year (and the rest of it isn't exactly dry either)? October is pretty wet, too, though not as bad as November. It's cooler though, and there's virtually no one around - something I personally tend to enjoy :)

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 2

It rains a lot in November huh? How much are we talking? It's still WARM though! It's six degrees where I am right now, anything has got to be better than that. :D I've lived in the tropics before, takes me stepping off the plane to acclimatise, then I just walk around in a perpetual state of arousal the whole time I'm there. :P I love the wet season but my six year old will have my guts for garters when her sand castles get washed away before they're even built. Sigh.

Loads... It's about 2,000 mm per year, 1/4 of that in Nov so about 500 mm. October gets roughly half of that, on average. But it's a tropical island, there's always sunshine. I like it best when it comes bucketing down & then the skies clear up & there's sunshine & fresh air.

The seas do get wilder though, especially on the Western side, hence TNP (Thong Nai Pan) on the Eastern side would be perfect - TNP Yai is pretty shallow, too. (The other beach, TNP Noi, gets deep faster.)

Chaloklum as suggested above is good as well, there's more activity there but the beach is nothing like TNP. Chaloklum is definitely cheaper though, and the restaurants are generally better.

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 1

Ah bah...so wanted to be on the west for the sunsets. We are literally surrounded by trees where we live. That's what I figured about the rain too, we'd get a few days where we'd be rained in but mostly they'd be pretty quick and heavy showers.

I doubt you'll find me on a bike but my other half raced motocross for years. No way will I keep him off one. Sigh.

I don't like Tim Tams, or vegemite!

Yes we really do need a break, thanks. KPG actually sounds more appealing to us, we need lots of family time. I can't see us doing too much shopping, you ever taken a six and three year old shopping? It's rarely pretty. :P It's also not hard to go over to Samui for the day either yes? I can take big one over for a day here and there to do the water parks. If she had her way we'd stay at the water park. :D

If you are planning to get married while you are here, you're in for a big surprise. First you have to get a document from your embassy in Bangkok, affirmation to marry, it then has to be translated intro Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of foreign affairs, all in Bangkok, not possible in Samui. Then you can do the dastardly deed at the local Amphur. Not free, the embassy charges for the document (US 1500 baht each) + the translation fee (1000 baht each)+ the certification fee (400 baht each, same day 800 bah teach) and the time that it takes and you will have to do it in Bangkok.

It will be rainy season, there will be no beach and do to the monsoon, the water will be very dangerous for your children so stay in a hotel that has a pool, or stay on the west side of the island. There's a lot to see on Samui but most will require coordinated travel and 3 weeks with children that age we be a stretch, IMHO. Good luck!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

Yes we really do need a break, thanks. KPG actually sounds more appealing to us, we need lots of family time. I can't see us doing too much shopping, you ever taken a six and three year old shopping? It's rarely pretty. tongue.png It's also not hard to go over to Samui for the day either yes? I can take big one over for a day here and there to do the water parks. If she had her way we'd stay at the water park. biggrin.png

There's kids fun land in both Tesco and BigC in chaweng, Samui.

Drop off husband and kids and enjoy your shopping on a rainy day.

There's aslo a cinema and bowling alley in Tesco Lotus, chaweng

You don't want to be stuck inside a bungalow with the kids all day if it's raining.

Also on a rainy day.

http://www.fairwayssamui.com/

• Like 1

wayned, did you forget to take your positive pills this morning? ;) Thanks for your info, I'm all ready aware of the hoopla involved. Once we're married, does that mean the children won't be bastards anymore? :D

As for the weather, I honestly don't care if it rains every day. It's bull dust country where I live, will make a nice change. Just to get away from the mundane dreariness that day to day life can be. We needed a holiday, the flights were cheap for that time of year of course. It'll do. Will definitely book a place with a pool though, cheers.

PoorSucker, thanks for that info and the link! I'm not too into dumping the kids anywhere, they are quite entertaining, I like having them around. They will like the funlands, can't imagine I'll be shopping though.....what I'm really interested in is if there is any weaving culture on Samui and/or Phangan. Anyone know? I'm a weaver and would love to talk and learn more about the craft. I'm aware that there's places on the mainland where weaving is a big part of the culture but can't find anything about the islands.

Tropicalevo, I think you just sorted out my other half's 40th birthday present for me. Cheers!

• Like 2

Wayne's info is factually incorrect insofar as some nationals can sign affirmations locally & have them translated but not necessarily his (or yours).

Re Weaving; There's a broom maker just a few meters from Babu's indian resteurant in Maenam. I've seen foreigners in there trying to make brooms by hand under his tuition which looks like fun & child friendly. This isn't Weaving but is nontheless an example of local craft.....& he'll probably know where the weavers are:)

HTH

(Google "Broomsquires Hindhead" for Brits doing same 200 years ago)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Rainy season winds come from the East, East side of the islands not a good choice those months for anything connected with the ocean. The West side is much flatter and shallower so a better choice for small kids year round anyway. Not aware of any textile weaving in the islands, but you might find someone to teach you weaving with palm fronds - mats, hats, little animal shapes. There is a Muslim village on the mainland, Chaiya, where they so some floor loom weaving. Thai people are usually great with small children as far as babysitting or just socializing, but realize they have little safety awareness, that part is 'up to you'.

• Like 1

Not much for the kids on KP

What about if you just want to play on the beach and wander through the jungle? Shopping just because you can is not really our thing, especially when on holiday. I went with my family to Papua New Guinea when I was 6 or 7, spent the whole Aussie summer holidays there. To this date still the best holiday I ever had. I remember driving up into the highlands sat in the back of a ute (this is 30yrs ago!) in the POURING rain, Dad chucked some towels at us to keep the worst of it off. We built a dam across a running creek and trapped a load of freshwater prawns to eat that night when we got back to camp, after hiking into the jungle to find a natural rock waterside formation. We shopped at the local markets buying jewellery (that I still have) and carvings from people with mouths stained from beetle nuts, people who then were fascinated by our paleness. That was an education. I'm not taking them on holiday to buy the same crap I don't let them have over here, just because its cheaper. :)

• Like 1

Rainy season winds come from the East, East side of the islands not a good choice those months for anything connected with the ocean. The West side is much flatter and shallower so a better choice for small kids year round anyway. Not aware of any textile weaving in the islands, but you might find someone to teach you weaving with palm fronds - mats, hats, little animal shapes. There is a Muslim village on the mainland, Chaiya, where they so some floor loom weaving. Thai people are usually great with small children as far as babysitting or just socializing, but realize they have little safety awareness, that part is 'up to you'.

That is a thought of mine, especially having a house with a pool, the little one can't swim yet and the big one is not the strongest swimmer....there is a post in here somewhere, a traveller who is a qualified swimming teacher who offers babysitting/nannying services, I'd like her but her post indicated she wouldn't be there when we are. Haha isn't that the way of things always?

Some things on to pass the time on Samui are: Go kart track, snake farm, crocodile farm, Thai cooking classes, Thai massage, water park, scuba diving courses, snorkelling trips, trips to other islands, (Koh Tao, Five Islands on the west coast, Anthong Marine Park), jungle safari tours, and as PoorSucker said, cinema and indoor bowling. Not sure if it is still there, but there even used to be a Rum distillery that you could visit on the west side of the island. You might find weaving classes in one of the hotels.

That cinema in Tesco's is great for a rainy day, with some of the latest film releases, in English, but the air con can be a bit too cold sometimes.

One thing to note: You can buy cheap plastic hooded pac-a-mac type coats in 7-11 for when it rains.

I actually don't mind the weather in October, seeing as its not so hot. Providing it isn't hammering down day after day, all day long. :-)

I'm sure you will have a great time.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

I'm a kid, and for six years never had a dull moment living/playing on Koh PhaNgan.

Us kids can find pleasure in places & situations well beyond a grownup's imagination.

• Like 2

I'm a kid, and for six years never had a dull moment living/playing on Koh PhaNgan.

Us kids can find pleasure in places & situations well beyond a grownup's imagination.

what kid wants to change age for, ahm, let's say only 1 month, I can offer 50 years

Try Crystal Bay which is a stunning sheltered bay just before Lamai. In Lamai there is loads to do (shopping, markets, restaurants, water park etc) . However the beach at Crystal Bay is much nicer and is ideal for kids as it is shallow and very calm.

Good spot for sure.

Crystal Bay Beach webcam

http://www.samuiwebcam.com/crystal_bay_koh_samui.html

• Like 1

Crystal Bay is lovely, yes. More and more people going there because of that. However, a steady East wind blowing across the Gulf of Thailand will certainly kick up waves on that coast. The angle of that little cove may shield some of that wave action, but it is not going to be the same as the rest of the year. Another thing to think about is the great seasonal variation of the tides here. It is possible there may be very little beach much of that time, I don't know. You can look at the web cam and a tide chart and get some idea now to see how much beach is left with an August high tide and then look at the high and low tide levels/numbers in Oct/Nov, but this is also where looking at how trip advisor customer comments vary by date of stay is a good use of internet time IMHO.

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone for the info. From here and other threads I've been reading, best thing is we book a few days in Samui somewhere and then figure it all out from there. If it rains the whole time, *shrug* it rains the whole time. Can't change the flights! :D It's pretty hard to not feel positive about almost everything at the moment after all the crap I've been through.

Would be great to bump into any of you by chance, to buy a beer and say thank-you. Ooh that's a good question! Where do we go for a beer?! The places where we can talk to the people who live and work on Thailand, natives and expats alike. We are somewhat isolated, only 18 kids at the local school, it's time the girls started their real education. (I'm so very grateful my parents did that with us when we travelled.) :)