Alternative Thinking.......

theblether

Have you ever considered the possibility that guys that come over here to build big fancy houses or open fancy businesses for/with their Thai lady are doing it for a strange motive?

Normally we would say it's because they are chasing tail. However having seen a few incidents over the years both here and in Scotland, I'm seeing one factor at play in the worst calamities, and that factor is greed.

Greed is an extraordinarily powerful emotion, and it can make sensible men blind to the possibilities. Quickly, here's a Scottish example I was aware of ie it happened right below my nose and some of my best pals were involved.

A guy told them they could get access to a bonded warehouse, and get everything out half price. On the quiet of course. thumbsup.gif Half price whisky? As much as they could handle? In their minds they had sold it and banked the profit already. Then the guy said there were cigarettes in the place too. Well now their tails were right up. They had all bought new cars in their minds with this unexpected windfall. I said, a bonded warehouse with booze and cigarettes together? I don't think so. Of course I was mad for doubting. Then the guy said......there's 1200 Iphones in the warehouse too. That's it Mildred, we're going on a cruise.

I said you must be **fin joking, cigarettes, booze and Iphones in a bonded warehouse together. I got looks of disdain and pity. A couple of my other pals were asked did they want in, of course they said, luckily I talked them out of it. Here's what happened......

The meet took place in the guys office 2 miles away from the warehouse. Naturally he couldn't take them into the warehouse office in case anyone could identify them later. My pals being cautious said they wanted to see the goods before parting with the money. The guy said, put the money in that safe there, and you keep the key until the deal is complete. Happy with that, they put £110,000 cash in the safe.

On the way to the warehouse the guy said he had to pee, he had a prostrate problem, drop him at this pub on the corner, he'll be back in a minute. They waited a few minutes, went in to get the guy, only to discover he had stepped out the back door. No problem, 5 minutes back to the office they've got the key for the safe. So did the guys brother, duplicate keys, who would have thought eh? rolleyes.gif Cash gone.

They can't call the police as it was a criminal transaction. They call the guys phone, number unavailable. I was in Thailand when all this happened, when I walked back into my office two days after the event it was like the end of the world had hit. One one of them worked up the courage to tell me what happened well.......I couldn't believe they had been so stupid.

One of the guys piped up, " It was greed, pure and utter greed that done us all".

Transam was asking yesterday what did we think about an older guy buying or building a motel in Thailand. I'm not being cheeky but if Transam is calling him older the guy must be in his 70's. If he's got the capital spare to buy or build it, then he doesn't need the income.

However in his mind this will be a magic investment, so much cheaper than for the same motel back in England w00t.gif You can just see him showing photos to his pals in the Golf Club, "Yes that's my motel in Thailand, 40 bedrooms, teak furniture blah blah blah, oh and here's my lady, 42 kilos of fun".......while thinking to himself, "Harumph, I wish I still had it in me, the little old chap died a while ago" sad.png

He doesn't need it, and you can be sure that his teerak will be telling him, "we can get profit good, buy today 2 million baht, 3 years late can get 5 million baht easy". Sorry about her poor grammar and English there. She left school at 13. He's quite happy though cos every day she says " I want you happy to be with me, I look after you very good".

Do you think that guy is back in England just now saying "She is buying a motel?", no way, I lay you odds he's not even saying "We are buying a motel", look of the greedy word. "I" ........" I am buying a motel in Thailand, 40 rooms you know, teak furniture, the whole lot. I tell you what caps, same place would cost you £3 million over here easy". While proudly basking in the glow of a BS inflated figure.

A little warm glow of self appreciation settles in as he strokes his inner greed like Goldfinger with his cat.

"Do you expect me to talk?"....."Talk? No, I expect you to die Mr Bond".

We'll all be expecting the old boy to cry when his teerak shows her true colours eh?

How many guys do you think are sitting back in the US / UK / Oz wherever saying to themselves..........that word again " I can build / buy a beautiful 5 bedroom house for only 2 million baht, what a bargain" ( greed kicking in, Persian cat purring in overdrive ), " And get myself a sexy young thing thrown in free of charge too". At this point I would like to mention the word cream but it's a family forum. xmellow.png.pagespeed.ic.vv3GCG8Loc.webp Plus the little old boy has been dead for years anyway. No miracles are allowed in my stories.

Oh wait a minute, it's different guys we're talking about.

Anyway, back on topic,

*note to self, stop derailing your own topics............

Alternative thinking, we've probably all been of the opinion it was tail chasing that was the attraction.......could it be greed instead?

ps Before you all start moaning about the amount of words, I've been stuck in my room all week, have some sympathy eh?.

Just sayin' smile.png

Your Meds wore off already mate.

In the Scotland incident, I hope no Nigerian was sighted 500 kms from the warehouse or else . It was all scots on both sides of the table.

Something about being greedy in a deal is the fool thinks he is the smart one. When you can see the bigger picture and still convince yourself the other fella don't have clues.

Anyway, you will need a new keyboard from the rate you are pounding off stories.

• Like 1

Something I normally do in bars or pubs where you leave your alcohol bottle behind for future visits. Normally it's marked with the bottle standing on a flat top.

Me, I mark mine with the bottle turned upside down. More precise. Never stopped the keepers helping themselves once in awhile.

I'm sorry to be cold hearted, but I have no sympathy for any farang who loses any real money in Thailand. There is no excuse for getting married or even buying a condo. Yes, it might work, but we have to idea what the rules might be 5 years from now for visas, etc.

Buying a house with a woman is idiotic. Yes, some guys are going to tell me it's worked out fine for them. Hey buddy, it ain't over yet. We had a thread from a guy who'd been married 30 years and his Thai wife was dumping him.

Every other Thai woman I meet it seems wants to go into business with my money. That includes a master's degree uni teacher in Khon Kaen. She wants to quit her job and open a restaurant with me as her partner!! She is crazy but I'm not.

Blether, I can't tell you if it's greed or lust. In the case of the bonded warehouse, yes that was greed and a scam and nothing to do with a woman.

I just know that my money stays in my pocket and I stay in control. I don't understand the thinking of a lot of people, but "up to them."

But, some of us (me) don't care any more about stuff. Just a chapter in life. I don't care about anything now. You may say I am daft (I am smile.png ) but that's me. Don't give a sh__. But I am happy for once in a very looooooooong time. smile.png

• Like 2

I'm surprised you would acknowledge on an open forum that your best pals are crooks basically.

Anyway carry on.

Think of them being more like Del Boy Trotter, with the brains of Trigger. That's a more accurate description. laugh.png

Think we have all been attached to Del boys at one time or another, whether we knew it or not. whistling.gif ..................smile.png

• Like 1

Your Meds wore off already mate.

In the Scotland incident, I hope no Nigerian was sighted 500 kms from the warehouse or else . It was all scots on both sides of the table.

Something about being greedy in a deal is the fool thinks he is the smart one. When you can see the bigger picture and still convince yourself the other fella don't have clues.

Anyway, you will need a new keyboard from the rate you are pounding off stories.

I know a few Nigerians, get on great with them all. There's a few working as Nurses in Glasgow and I know an accountant too. There's a church hall next to my house, with a mainly Nigerian congregation. I love seeing them going to church, always immaculately dressed, and without stereotyping, I love listening to the service and singing.

I frequent an African bar in Glasgow called Kalibar, Smokie36 and Rob8891 love it too, a superb place.

The assembled company round the table that day were Scots and English. The con man was Scottish, he's now been jailed for the same scam done to the wrong guy. My guys had taken up black money, the other guy drew the cash from the bank. That meant he could go to the police.

You are totally right though, it is the fool that thinks he's the smart one...........how often do we see that in LOS?

By the way Transam......I think that's line of the day courtesy of megaranter........

Something about being greedy in a deal is the fool thinks he is the smart one
I've been summonsed downstairs by Mercedes Girl, I better go see what she wants sad.png
Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

I'm surprised you would acknowledge on an open forum that your best pals are crooks basically.

Anyway carry on.

Think of them being more like Del Boy Trotter, with the brains of Trigger. That's a more accurate description. laugh.png

And have a wife like Boycies !

Best comedyserie ever !!

• Like 1

how many ppl told you not to ride a motorbike in thailand? same warnings ignored.

He used alternative thinking so it was OK.

Actually I was disapointed he talked about the normal thinking of many people.

I was looking forward to some thing like time just being and we walk through it. It never changes or some such thinking.wink.png

I'm sorry to be cold hearted, but I have no sympathy for any farang who loses any real money in Thailand. There is no excuse for getting married or even buying a condo. Yes, it might work, but we have to idea what the rules might be 5 years from now for visas, etc.

Buying a house with a woman is idiotic. Yes, some guys are going to tell me it's worked out fine for them. Hey buddy, it ain't over yet. We had a thread from a guy who'd been married 30 years and his Thai wife was dumping him.

Every other Thai woman I meet it seems wants to go into business with my money. That includes a master's degree uni teacher in Khon Kaen. She wants to quit her job and open a restaurant with me as her partner!! She is crazy but I'm not.

Blether, I can't tell you if it's greed or lust. In the case of the bonded warehouse, yes that was greed and a scam and nothing to do with a woman.

I just know that my money stays in my pocket and I stay in control. I don't understand the thinking of a lot of people, but "up to them."

More n likely a cross between greed and lust. Both can do many a man's head(s) in.

Are we agreeing though that greed is a factor?

We lost one of my pals a couple of weeks ago, he'd been warned about his behaviour at work and told he would need to learn to conduct himself better. So he wired himself into the mains.........sad.png

See, I told you my pals were a bit thick. coffee1.gif

Maybe I should have put that in the worst joke ever thread. xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.7BHxcTK2hg.webp

Edited by theblether

Pure greed has always been the downfall of the unwary. Gamblers have always taken chances in hopes of making it big quickly. It is an addiction for some, and for others it is all about the excitement with the possibility of a big reward. Scammers would not have career if there were no suckers hoping to get rich with no effort. Thailand has no exclusive on suckers and scammers.

• Like 2

From the Broadway show Guys & Dolls as based on the stories of Damon Runyon and as spoken in the movie version by Marlon Brando:

On the day I left home to make my way in the world, my daddy took me to one side.
"I am sorry I am not able to bankroll you to a large start, but not having the necessary lettuce to get you rolling, instead, I'm going to stake you to some very valuable advice."
"One of these days, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear."
"But, son, you do not accept this bet because, as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1