Alternative Thinking.......

theblether

I'm sorry to be cold hearted, but I have no sympathy for any farang who loses any real money in Thailand.

I just know that my money stays in my pocket and I stay in control. "

lets throw in a little alternative thinking for the game ;)

isnt what you saying is indeed GREED, in a different form?

in my mind i see Gollum from Lord of the Ring, saying: My precious! My precious!

• Like 2

I'm sorry to be cold hearted, but I have no sympathy for any farang who loses any real money in Thailand.

lets throw in a little alternative thinking for the game wink.png

in my mind i see Gollum from Lord of the Ring, saying: My precious! My precious!

In Transams topic he said that the old boy cannot be swayed, and that he was so sure of himself. Even when others around could see how risky and how stupid this proposition is, his mind is closed to the possibilities.

That got me thinking about the incident with my pals and the "Bonded Warehouse". I've omitted some detail which made the situation even more stupid than I've shown already. They could not be swayed, to the point I was being vehemently ridiculed for doubting the deal. That stuck in my mind, and the explanation after the event of greed getting the better of them.

It may be that we have being giving the wrong diagnosis all along, prescribing lust, when in fact it's been greed. Obviously it could be one, or the other, or a combination of both. Transam asked for an answer as to how to help the guy.

I've got two suggestions, one I can see being problematical, the other one straightforward. These ideas are just that, rip them to pieces if you will, would either of these work?........

Under Thai law, if the money was sent from England to an escrow account held in Transams wife's name, and when required, forwarded from that account to the female involved. In that case, the female could not declare the money was hers, she would be required to declare it came from another Thai national. Especially when that other Thai national was on the scene when the paperwork was being done.

Google escrow if you don't understand how those accounts work. wai.gif

Alternatively, under the 51/49 rule, how about nominating Transams wife as a 3% shareholder. That would put the female in a double minority position, 1% less than the guy which is a psychological thing and glaring on paperwork, and obviously by owning less than 50% unable to pull the same level of funny stuff that we hear about so often.

Feel free to rip those ideas apart, or do they have merit in them?

In Transams topic he said that the old boy cannot be swayed, and that he was so sure of himself. Even when others around could see how risky and how stupid this proposition is, his mind is closed to the possibilities.

That got me thinking about the incident with my pals and the "Bonded Warehouse". I've omitted some detail which made the situation even more stupid than I've shown already. They could not be swayed, to the point I was being vehemently ridiculed for doubting the deal. That stuck in my mind, and the explanation after the event of greed getting the better of them.

It may be that we have being giving the wrong diagnosis all along, prescribing lust, when in fact it's been greed. Obviously it could be one, or the other, or a combination of both. Transam asked for an answer as to how to help the guy.

I've got two suggestions, one I can see being problematical, the other one straightforward. These ideas are just that, rip them to pieces if you will, would either of these work?........

Under Thai law, if the money was sent from England to an escrow account held in Transams wife's name, and when required, forwarded from that account to the female involved. In that case, the female could not declare the money was hers, she would be required to declare it came from another Thai national. Especially when that other Thai national was on the scene when the paperwork was being done.

Alternatively, under the 51/49 rule, how about nominating Transams wife as a 3% shareholder. That would put the female in a double minority position, 1% less than the guy which is a psychological thing and glaring on paperwork, and obviously by owning less than 50% unable to pull the same level of funny stuff that we hear about so often.

That sounds a bit like getting involved in something that could turn very unpleasant. I know about motels - I watched Crossroads when I was younger, and Transam doesn't want to be Bennying about in other people's domestic problems any more than he has to...

The only reason for doing these things would be if the bloke didn't trust the lady, but he does, so no need, right?

• Like 2

That sounds a bit like getting involved in something that could turn very unpleasant. I know about motels - I watched Crossroads when I was younger, and Transam doesn't want to be Bennying about in other people's domestic problems any more than he has to...

The only reason for doing these things would be if the bloke didn't trust the lady, but he does, so no need, right?

The bloke might but I don't..............whistling.gif ........................laugh.png

The bloke might but I don't..............whistling.gif ........................laugh.png

Transam: Shes ripping you off and siphoning the money out of the business

Bloke: No she isn't.

Transam: Yes she is

Bloke: No she isn't

Transam: Where's all the money, then?

Bloke: There's a logical explanation for it, I'm sure...

Bloke: Why didn't you tell me sooner?

Seems to me that opportunities to help out by getting involved in such situations can either turn out badly, or very badly. The best you could hope for would be for your involvement to be an unnecessary waste of time, more likely it will be a futile and unsuccessful waste of time but, depending on your imagination, it could turn out worse than your nightmares... I wouldn't get involved at all beyond offering advice unless it was a close friend, and they asked me to get involved.

SC

• Like 1

biggrin.png

Out of all the series of Only Fools, that one clip stands out from all the rest to me.

You would not believe the number of people throughout the years I could relate to this specific clip. (just to remain on topic!)

Of course, that would include myself, but in my case, I have always seen the bond with Trigger......................tongue.png

• Like 1

Greed is a product of civilisation. Animals don't suffer it - they take what they need and go back to having fun. I really do not know why civilisation has made man so greedy that he can not tell a purse from a sow's ear. Thailand has embraced civilisation with open arms. If you go travelling around less-civilised countries you usually find people are simple, honest and warm-hearted. The material world has been the undoing of mankind, we're all doomed......

... pass me the soap box... violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

Greed is a product of civilisation. Animals don't suffer it - they take what they need and go back to having fun. I really do not know why civilisation has made man so greedy that he can not tell a purse from a sow's ear. Thailand has embraced civilisation with open arms. If you go travelling around less-civilised countries you usually find people are simple, honest and warm-hearted. The material world has been the undoing of mankind, we're all doomed......

But LOS, even up here in the boonies, is catching up with the west for wanting the cars and gadgets that it has. I know folk here that have ''relieved'' folk of their cash to get these trappings and have not repaid and will not repay the money. To me that is greed and downright low.

• Like 1

I must be clear, I am not involved and never will be. smile.png

I only used you as an example Trans, I know your not involved. wai.gif

What about the legalities of what I said though, moving the money through a Thais nationals escrow account? Would that disrupt any nefarious plans that the Thai lady here might have? She would have to declare it came from a Thai.

What about allocating 2 or 3% shareholding to a Thai ( I'll use the phrase trusted Thai ), surely that would disrupt any nefarious plans by the other side?

But LOS, even up here in the boonies, is catching up with the west for wanting the cars and gadgets that it has. I know folk here that have ''relieved'' folk of their cash to get these trappings and have not repaid and will not repay the money. To me that is greed and downright low.

Agreed -- I've been in Thailand for only 4 years (almost) and I see a huge difference even in that short time-span. I've been paraded through a few issan villages when I thought is a "good idea" to meet the "family". Gawd knows who I actually met, but sure as hell they were not interested in anything much except to see what I was "made of". Needless to say I've been declining such invites for the last 3 years -- lesson learnt -- but when I was up-country in Laos I did find the innocence of a non-materialistic community who were a delight to be with. Shame we had no frigging idea what each other was talking about - but it really didn't matter too much. :)

I must be clear, I am not involved and never will be. smile.png

I only used you as an example Trans, I know your not involved. wai.gif

What about the legalities of what I said though, moving the money through a Thais nationals escrow account? Would that disrupt any nefarious plans that the Thai lady here might have? She would have to declare it came from a Thai.

What about allocating 2 or 3% shareholding to a Thai ( I'll use the phrase trusted Thai ), surely that would disrupt any nefarious plans by the other side?

I'm sure your highland dancing skills are excellent, but -- as I said in another thread recently -- it'll take more than fancy footwork to avoid the wrath of a Thai who feels they might have lost face and fortune, :)

Unfortunately my Highland Dancing skills, such as they were mashed in the motorcycle crash the other day :-(

Incidentally I agree with you re Laos wai.gif

Setting side the threat of violent retribution, on a pure legal point, would my suggestions work?

Unfortunately my Highland Dancing skills, such as they were mashed in the motorcycle crash the other day :-(

Incidentally I agree with you re Laos wai.gif

Setting side the threat of violent retribution, on a pure legal point, would my suggestions work?

"legal" in Thailand -- as in many countries -- is a relative term -- usually relative to the size of the "fee" paid. wink.png

Edited -- fee to read "fee" whistling.gif

Edited by jpinx

Not sure about the animal part.

We’ve got more than a handful of dogs and when you feed them they never stick to their own plate and always try to steal from each other. Despite having enough food they take a couple of bites from their own plate, leave it and start growling at another dog’s plate.

Greed is a product of civilisation. Animals don't suffer it - they take what they need and go back to having fun.

wrong, and wrong :)

have my 2 dogs, as an example.

they will never pool together the food to share!! no f.ing way!

when they get some particularly nice treat, (or anything that matter) one goes left, one goes rigth with it, but first has a glance to the other if his/hers is bigger/better treat...

back in time when i was young(er) i had one dog. thought to surprise him with his favourite food ( pedigree) for the birthday...yes, dogs has that too :)

so, got a particularly large can ( i think 1.2kg....the dog was about 10kg)...started to eat like never seen food...and after about 2/3rd gone, the steam started to disappear, feeling up rapidly...

but guess what, bite by bite, though obviously with growing effort finished it all up...way over what he needed, but guess doesnt want to leave it...why? i wouldnt eat it for sure LOL.

so, maybe greed? taking more than one really needs? :)

animals arent that different, nor are we humans.

in my languange there is a proverbm, that roughtly translate like this:

There is no full cart that one couldnt load on just a little bit more!! :)

ok - we have to differentiate between wild animals and humanised, domestic animals - of which dogs are undoubtedly closest to humans.

There's also the old adage that a dog is a reflection of it's owner whistling.gif

I heard a belter recently:

1. Guy gets married to Chinese woman, they had a child, stayed together for well over a decade, and one day he comes home from work to find the apartment empty (everything gone and her too). She then got plenty from the divorce and he got a vasectomy.
  2. Then he comes to Thailand on holiday, meets a younger woman, gets married and takes her back to his homeland where he is now working. Everything is fine for many years until she says her mother is sick and wants to go home. Her mother isn't sick actually, but they stay in her home and he pays for a compete renovation. One day he finds out that she has seized his passport and other documents to do with his financials and has filed for divorce. He says she made plenty from the divorce.
  3. Now he is in his mid 60s, met a Thai girl half his age, bought her a car, and had his vasectomy reversed because she wants a baby.

To answer your question:

I don't think this type of thing is much about greed (on the guy's part) and i understand that this example isn't completely relevant, since you're talking about opening hotels, restaurants etc etc But i just had to share this cos its so bloody stupid!

I think guys think with their little head too often, they need an income so they open a business, or they are kind and foolish and buy stuff for their partner (they obviously think it will work and aren't a good judge of character)

Its mostly about lust or maybe love, the guy's delusion, and the girl's greed and easy opportunity.

The fun and games of life really.

And let's not forget that our Scottish girls often take their pound of flesh too in a separation, but perhaps without such ruthless fashion.

I would sooner gamble my money in Thailand than Scotland anyway.

Greed perhaps but also the need to impress. Some people impress others with their intelligence, some with their charm and good looks, others with their worldly ways but those who don't have any of the above try to use material things or their trophy wife. Others just don't care...