Review - Tenguko Japanese Buffet

LawrenceChee

Finally got to this place last night for the buffet ...directly opposite the Mandarin Dhava Dhevi (parking available at MO hotel)

The rate is $800 baht per adult and the place has got the Tatlers for the last 4 years and its deserving

Service is well helmed and the decor is nice although on Friday nights it was filled with 4 families with crying babies and that dampened the quiet eating environment but kudos to the staff for being so patient

The food is the highlight and the selections available on the buffet was well worth the money for the quality and presentation and taste

Didn't try all the dishes but for the tempuras, sashimi and NZ beef dishes it was immaculate and really tasty

I will be back ...the ala carte menu looked very well priced and I would try it the next time if I am not that hungry !

Easily the best for Japanese food in my opinion

Were you in a hurry Lawrence? That is not much of a review - not up to your usual standard. At Bht800 a head we want our money's worth. There we were drooling and you just name three dishes and not even discuss them. Were you looking into the eyes of your loved one and not intent on your tucker? Come on young man, lift your game.

• Like 1

I recently tried Japanese food just off Huay Keow Rd near Nimmanheiman. It had 4 drunken Japanese guys there, and their raucous shouting at one another was interspersed by the bottles and glasses breaking on the floor. What a turn off!

Went to another Japanese restaurant last night, also in Huay Keow Rd, directly opposite Hillside condo. Excellent food, great table service, fed three adults and we consumed two small carafes of hot Sake as well. ฿900.00 total.

• Like 1

Hahahha sorry the posting was done during a staycation at Centara and u know one gets lazy on holidays

The food was outstanding for the variety and the quality plus the presentation and service tops it up on a culinary experience

For the sashimi section, we tried the tuna, salmon and kani. Portions were very generous and well presented on the plate and the freshness of the sashimi and the accompanying sauces made it a great start. Unlimited portions for sashimi lovers

We tried the appetizers like tori karage and it was well fried with a tasty batter and seaweed on the batter to give the taste a nice twist

I am a great fan of yaki tori and tried both the soy sauced and salted versions. Both were well grilled and the portion were good for sharing. I like the salted taste with the sea salt visible and giving the crunch a good compliment

The Saba and salmon teriyaki was so tasty I almost ordered another portion but I was stuffed from the rest of the food :-)

I also had the tempura ebi and the shrimps were so fresh and crunchy with the batter it was heaven. I will compare this to the oishi buffet at almost 500 baht and the differences in quality of the produce was vast. The 300 baht difference was well worth the money.

We also had the beef Suki and you can cook it yourself like MK or be lazy and asked them to do it. We opted for the lazy option and the presentation was excellent in the bowl with generous servings of tofu and vegetables that was fresh and did the NZ beef which was thinly cut justice.

You won't do this buffet every day or every week ...once in a while to pamper your tastebuds is a great treat for yourself and your special someone.

The $800 baht per person and the 4 consecutive years of Tatler Award is well worth the money.

Hahahha sorry the posting was done during a staycation at Centara and u know one gets lazy on holidays

The food was outstanding for the variety and the quality plus the presentation and service tops it up on a culinary experience

For the sashimi section, we tried the tuna, salmon and kani. Portions were very generous and well presented on the plate and the freshness of the sashimi and the accompanying sauces made it a great start. Unlimited portions for sashimi lovers

We tried the appetizers like tori karage and it was well fried with a tasty batter and seaweed on the batter to give the taste a nice twist

I am a great fan of yaki tori and tried both the soy sauced and salted versions. Both were well grilled and the portion were good for sharing. I like the salted taste with the sea salt visible and giving the crunch a good compliment

The Saba and salmon teriyaki was so tasty I almost ordered another portion but I was stuffed from the rest of the food :-)

I also had the tempura ebi and the shrimps were so fresh and crunchy with the batter it was heaven. I will compare this to the oishi buffet at almost 500 baht and the differences in quality of the produce was vast. The 300 baht difference was well worth the money.

We also had the beef Suki and you can cook it yourself like MK or be lazy and asked them to do it. We opted for the lazy option and the presentation was excellent in the bowl with generous servings of tofu and vegetables that was fresh and did the NZ beef which was thinly cut justice.

You won't do this buffet every day or every week ...once in a while to pamper your tastebuds is a great treat for yourself and your special someone.

The $800 baht per person and the 4 consecutive years of Tatler Award is well worth the money.

There you are, that wasn't that hard was it?

MK's Suki should not be mentioned in the same breath as Sukiyaki. It is nothing more than boiled meat and cabbage - a horrible adaption of the original dish.

Do they have saki at Tenguko to accompany the meal?

Thanks for your "proper" review - there are standards, you know.

Thanks for that. I was curious about the place. The g/f's cousin was working there part-time and kept telling us that the sashimi is "the best in town" but she is only 17 so what does she know. I think she said it is owned by a farang and not Japanese-owned.

Tenguko is owned by a Thai gentleman who really knows and enjoys his sushi and sashimi ;)

the comical "sushi" is from the street vendors; fish sitting in 35 C sun all day, sleeping in sauce to hide the fact the fish is not fresh, and sold for a whopping 10-30 baht. if your stomach is usually called fort knox, well good luck. but I can't eat that.

the comical "sushi" is from the street vendors; fish sitting in 35 C sun all day, sleeping in sauce to hide the fact the fish is not fresh, and sold for a whopping 10-30 baht. if your stomach is usually called fort knox, well good luck. but I can't eat that.

That's not sushi and some even sells for 5 THB. No, I've never tried it.

I recently tried Japanese food just off Huay Keow Rd near Nimmanheiman. It had 4 drunken Japanese guys there, and their raucous shouting at one another was interspersed by the bottles and glasses breaking on the floor. What a turn off!

Sounds pretty authentic as far as some places in Japan I've been....

...we consumed two small carafes of hot Sake ...

Those are called tokkuri.

That is true of eating food from any street vendor. Not just sushi. Look at some of the eat in restaurants, Thai type.. Many if not most don't even have a refrigerator in the place.