Bottled gas for burner

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys,

Went to makro today in Bang Na to get some bits and bobs and picked up one of these gas burners as i had one in the UK for cooking curries.

post-70532-091641100%201277423860.jpg

I was wondering firstly what gas is best to use as in UK i used propane, and secondly where I can get a small bottle, how much roughly it will cost and If I can just collect or need to setup an account, deposit etc?

Cheers

The mom and pop stores that sell bottled gas are everywhere in Pattaya. I think I pay around 300 baht for a refill but once you buy the first bottle you can exchange it at any shop that sells gas.

• Like 1

Well tried an Esso near me in bang na and got absolutely no where. The thai cashiers tried to help when i showed them pictures on phone etc but could not really explain where they were saying to get one.

Anyone know the main supplier name here? Like in the UK if i searched calor gas i would be able to find local stores.

Better still does anyone know of a place in the Bang Na area?

Lastly what gas should I go for? Propane, Butane or LPG? Back in the UK i only ever used propane but not really sure in options here.

Thanks guys

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Ask a neighbour. Most locals just phone the guy or call in on there way to the shops. There is a "bottle" shop in every neighbourhood. Where in Bang Na. You could probably "drive" down the streets on Google street view and spot a place.

Here is one I saw the other day.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=13.710157,100.592286&spn=0.001759,0.00327&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=13.710157,100.592286&panoid=dZR2tzRi87L5i8MiTvMY6g&cbp=12,266.63,,0,0.59

• Like 2

Ask for tung gas.

What does that mean? Ask who? A gas supplier when I find one?

I think iv located one locally from street view (great suggestion btw), they have lots of blue bottles in the store like the link above. Do i just stroll in and ask for a bottle, or will i need to set an account up etc with address, documents...

Show them a pic of the most popular gas bottle (15 kg filling from PTT).

Don't know about smaller ones and about "legality" using on a balcony.

Never forget to close the valve at the gas bottle when finished (the valve above the red seal seen in the picture).

The burners often have no security valves or the like.

The pressure reducer of your burner is connected to this valve with a left-hand thread.

Buying the first bottle will cost something like 1500 for the bottle and 300 for the filling.

When empty you exchange it for a new bottle.

Refilling is not done on the spot, but at controlled refilling stations.

ptt-15-kg.jpg

In the following picture there are smaller bottles displayed. I don't know about them, as on the countryside only the bigger ones are traded.

gsizeg1.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

DoHome sells filled tanks. I think its around 1700bt for the 15.They had the 7s but I don't know the price. Many apartments they are not legal. I had a ground floor with a outside back area and was allowed. I guess you have to ask the management.

Show them a pic of the most popular gas bottle (15 kg filling from PTT).

Don't know about smaller ones and about "legality" using on a balcony.

Never forget to close the valve at the gas bottle when finished (the valve above the red seal seen in the picture).

The burners often have no security valves or the like.

The pressure reducer of your burner is connected to this valve with a left-hand thread.

Buying the first bottle will cost something like 1500 for the bottle and 300 for the filling.

When empty you exchange it for a new bottle.

Refilling is not done on the spot, but at controlled refilling stations.

Posted Image

In the following picture there are smaller bottles displayed. I don't know about them, as on the countryside only the bigger ones are traded.

Posted Image

I think you've just about covered everything spot on.

You will need to check with the apartment owner if they allow gas in the block, some don't.

Be aware that when you get your first bottle, you will have to make a deposit for the bottle, then refill as necessary after that. Also be aware that the regulators (generally you have to buy this separately) differ for different appliances, the two-hob unit will differ from say an oven.

Should be a painless process, good luck

then refill as necessary after that.

Your desription sounds different from what is done in the small shops here.

Turn in the empty bottle and receive a full bottle (for about 300 Baht).

No refill on site, refill is done on secured factory like places, which also put the seal on the valve.

All newly filled bottles must have this "official" seal.

I noticed that the burner is a large type one as used by street vendors etc.

For household use, you usually buy a two flame desk model, such like this:

(to be put on a table/desk or buy a model with a stand)

fe594e82734f55d7e0a5efd4487689af_2.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

then refill as necessary after that.

Your desription sounds different from what is done in the small shops here.

Turn in the empty bottle and receive a full bottle (for about 300 Baht).

No refill on site, refill is done on secured factory like places, which also put the seal on the valve.

All newly filled bottles must have this "official" seal.

I noticed that the burner is a large type one as used by street vendors etc.

For household use, you usually buy a two flame desk model, such like this:

(to be put on a table/desk or buy a model with a stand)

fe594e82734f55d7e0a5efd4487689af_2.jpg

Perhaps it is different up here (Phitsanulok). They way we have done it here is that the first bottle you get (if you haven't already got one) needs a deposit, and this will be exchanged for the refilled bottles from then on (for the price of the refill). Agree that the refills aren't done on site and should come with a seal.

The regulator I was referring to is normally incorporated into the hose from the bottle to the application (see thumbnail) and the pressure does vary on these. Regulators do differ in shape and size as well.

post-76988-0-23865900-1377404739_thumb.j

Ask for tung gas.

What does that mean? Ask who? A gas supplier when I find one?

I think iv located one locally from street view (great suggestion btw), they have lots of blue bottles in the store like the link above. Do i just stroll in and ask for a bottle, or will i need to set an account up etc with address, documents...

Why would you ever lug the bottle around town? This is Thailand. Go to the nearest food street vendor by your home. Ask them for the number of the company they use for gas delivery. Call them up and arrange delivery. You will need to pay a deposit on the bottle and a delivery fee. I think we pay a total of 150thb a bottle. After that, call as needed for a new bottles. I suggest getting two so you always have a full one.

Edited by Furbie

These propane burners are no different than counter top cooking ranges in American homes -- many of these are vented with a hood but in a well ventilated porch deck there is not going to be an CO problem. I have a counter top 'range' as we call them in my kitchen - have had for nine years (as millions of other American homes) and use it heavily. I use propane but many homes use natural gas CH4. Open flame gas ranges with 4 burners are a common as microwaves in American homes and used with and without vent hoods and no one is dying or getting sick from it.

Thanks for all the advice, I got the motorbike taxi down to my local gas supplier and some broken thai / english walked away with a 7kg bottle for 1800 baht all in so pretty happy. I took the regulator and the smaller bottle wouldnt fit so 7kg was next smallest.

On a side note...jesus the burner kicks out some serious heat, it is much more powerful than my UK burner. Going to have to be careful lol

Thanks again guys, huge help