Landslide warning device installed in Phuket hills

Lite Beer

Landslide warning device installed in Phuket hills
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A landslide early-detection system costing 4-million-baht has been installed in the Patong Hills.

The system was installed in Phuket because of the high risk of landslides in Patong, Kathu and Karon, Thawan Sukkho of the Bureau of Geotechnology, Department of Mineral Resources, explained to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut during an inspection on Friday.

“The system is comprised of steel bars buried in the hillside and a control box on the surface. The system measures underground vibrations, movements in the soil and rainfall and groundwater levels to determine landslide risk,” Mr Thawan said.

“Usually landslides are triggered by rain of more than 100 millimeters. If this much rain falls, the device is able to use the data it collects to calculate how soon a landslide could take place, and it sends a warning to the Mineral Resources Department, indicating whether we should evacuate the area in 30 minutes or two hours,” Mr Thawan said.

“Whenever there is a danger of a landslide, we will report it to local government offices in the risk area so they can inform people there to evacuate. We will also post the information on our website,” Mr Thawan said.

In addition to warning of impending landslides, the devices will be collecting data that can be used to help understand landslides and thereby increase safety in the future, Mr Thawan said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Landslide-warning-device-installed-in-Phuket-hills-22067.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-25

Admirable if it actually works. I wonder if it is the same as these http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/06/20/ugm-made-extensometer-applied-china-myanmar.html which seems to be cheaper to buy.

TV weird. I get a notice saying I cannot post & to try again then when I do see the same post twice.

Edited by Valentine

Admirable if it actually works. I wonder if it is the same as these http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/06/20/ugm-made-extensometer-applied-china-myanmar.html which seems to be cheaper to buy.

The explanation of the device as given in the article is completely different form the explanation given by mr. Thawan. So judging by this it is not the same.

The explanation of the device as given in the article is completely different form the explanation given by mr. Thawan. So judging by this it is not the same.

Only difference I can see is they say the Phuket one uses steel bars where as the other uses wire.

Only difference I can see is they say the Phuket one uses steel bars where as the other uses wire.

+1...You are right, its the same system,except as you noted....bars or wire....many variations available on the same theme..

Have been in use many years ago when we built large earth dams/retainer walls and headworks..just measures miniscule movements of soil etc over a time period. so any movement not obvious to the naked eye can be monitored...

PS nice to see a little pro active activity here for a change,,

Edited by andreandre

I recall that the Governor before last of Phuket, or was it the one before that, anyway, never mind, the then Governor of Phuket made a public statement to say how concerned he was about the building of houses on steep hillsides, because of the risk of landslides. Needless to say, made even higher risk because of the need to fell trees in order to build said houses.

At the time, I did wonder why the Governor didn't make enquiries of the islands planning dept, as to why they kept approving plans to build houses in such locations, and should they not pay some attention to the geological conditions and health and safety requirements.

Seems a few years later they have found another solution. Spend money on these devices. And as we all know with certainty, once the money is spent, the devices will be installed correctly, will be maintained correctly and will be monitored constantly. Just like the Tsunami warning system.

• Like 1