Age limit for citizenship

Hello,

Aliens who wish to apply for Thai nationality under the Nationality Act B.E. 2508 (A.D. 1965) a person does NOT need to be 40 years or have spent 10 years in Thailand.

I am not sure whether I understand the above sentence in FAQ properly.

Does a university lecturere older than 40 have a chance of becoming a citizen (by marriage or else)? Or 40 years is the maximum?

Thanks.

There is no age limit, other than that you must be an adult.

What the FAQ you qoute is saying is that you do not have to be at least 40 years old. That statement is in itself correct.

More and better information on Thai nationality here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a102367-Guidelines-for-Application-for-Natu.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-Citizenship-Applicatio-t121353.html

Hmmm, interesting thread, as I am well past 40 (though I would prefer to be well before that age).

Sort of related to this (and having read the requirements) is it impossible to obtain citizenship on other than a B visa with a work permit? I like being retired and I really don't want to work, at least not full-time LOL. Some of the requirements in Mario's link I could manage to do, heck even voluntarily pay the taxes if need be. I could easily obtain support of two Thai and I could likely get a letter from a government agency supporting such an application. I don't want to marry a guy (suggested to me by more than one person but I am still not sure even married that one would qualify without a B visa/work permit and if they really do pass a civil union bill and it really does include all the privileges of marriage, both likely big ifs, marriage would be a direction I would consider).

So I guess my question here is - even though age is not a barrier - who cannot even hope for Thai citizenship. For me it isn't about working and such, I just love the Kingdom and it would be nice to actually be able to buy a house, and it would be nice to know that I will never have to leave.

The B-visa is not required, it could be another kind of visa or PR (which you mst have first if not married to a Thai national). But you do need to work legally in Thailand, which of course means a work permit and paying your taxes.

• Like 1

You do need to be at least 20 and over the age of majority in your country of citizenship. In the points system (you need 50 out of 100) they allocate points for age as below. From this it is clear that they actually prefer older applicants. Those over 60 get more points than 20 something year olds and the same as 30 somethings. Of course, you've got to be working, unless you are a women married to a Thai man, and many companies in Thailand mandate retirement at 60. From what I have seen of people applying at Special Branch and waiting for interview at the Interior Ministry I would say most look in their 40s and 50s.

30 to 40 – 5 points
40 to 50 – 10 points
50 to 60 – 8 points
Over 60 – 5 points

• Like 1