Convert retirement visa to marriage visa?

Well, I must say that was really helpful, thanks to all of you, I learned a lot.

I decided to stay with the retirement visa because it was floe to expiry and I didn't really have more than a few days to gather all the right information plus interview etc… but I think I will likely change to marriage visa at the next 90-day report if I can do so for a 12-month visa. I know that it's a risk, what with Thai ladies and all, but I think on balance I am well covered.

Cheers again I really did find all the replies helped me out.

J

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I obtained my O Non-Immigrant Visa on the basis of marriage in the USA. Filled out a form, provided documents confirming legal marrage and a letter from the wife along with the obligate photos. Picked it up the next day in the LA Office. No map, no interview, no hassle. Why is so much more data required if you are actually living in Thailand? 90 day stays, unlimited entrys and I'm sure extensions are allowed. Is this different than what is being discussed here?

F1

You have a visa that requires you to leave every 90 days.

Topic is about extensions of stay you get at immigration valid for 1 year. Just make reports every 90 days no need to leave the country.

So let me get this right----I am on a retirement visa but will be finding it difficult to maintain the 800,000 required next year so will want to change to Marriage.Now ---I have always been led to believe that with a marriage visa you have to leave the country----Either at renewal of extension or at the 90 day mark,---is this true

So I obtained my O Non-Immigrant Visa on the basis of marriage in the USA. Filled out a form, provided documents confirming legal marrage and a letter from the wife along with the obligate photos. Picked it up the next day in the LA Office. No map, no interview, no hassle. Why is so much more data required if you are actually living in Thailand? 90 day stays, unlimited entrys and I'm sure extensions are allowed. Is this different than what is being discussed here?

F1

Topic is about extensions of stay you get at immigration valid for 1 year. Just make reports every 90 days no need to leave the country.

So let me get this right----I am on a retirement visa but will be finding it difficult to maintain the 800,000 required next year so will want to change to Marriage.Now ---I have always been led to believe that with a marriage visa you have to leave the country----Either at renewal of extension or at the 90 day mark,---is this true
Not true. You can get annual extensions of stay at immigration just like you have been doing for retirement based upon marriage to a Thai. I just finished my 6th application.

My opinion...If you have a retirement visa and can qualify for any extension, stay with it. If you change your visa, marriage or work visa, and later for any reason you need to get your retirement visa again, will be not easy to get it....and that was the answer from an immigration officer when I asked about it. I am married and with a retirement visa..and happy with it!

F1

If you are on a retirement visa or a marriage visa it is NOT necessary to leave the country for renewal...and if you are a US citizen you do NOT need to have money in the bank..just a Embassy statement of income over $25,000/year......and that is easy. Believe me....ask around.

I have been in Thailand 20 years. Originally I had a an extension based on marriage because I was working, but that was a pain in the neck involving piles of paperwork and several visits to immigration each year. Now I get an annual extension based on retirement as I am retired and have no need to work. The retirement extension is done in one visit and little paperwork. I don't advise changing unless you need to work. The advantage also is, as has happened to many of my friends here, when the wife kicks them out after taking the house, car and money in the bank, they still have a valid extension that does not need changing.

This has been talked about many times before here:

Marriage Extension:

Lower Financial Requirements

Greater Paperwork and Processing Requirements

Ability to Obtain a Work Permit

Requires the participation and involvement of your wife and potentially others

Face having to make status changes and reapply if you're ever divorced

Retirement Extension:

Higher Financial Requirements

Less Paperwork and Processing Requirements

No Ability to Obtain a Work Permit

You can do by yourself

Doesn't change anything if you're married or divorced in the future

• Like 2

F1

If you are on a retirement visa or a marriage visa it is NOT necessary to leave the country for renewal...and if you are a US citizen you do NOT need to have money in the bank..just a Embassy statement of income over $25,000/year......and that is easy. Believe me....ask around.

Or you can obtain an income confirmation letter from your Embassy in tandem with a balance confirmation letter from your bank to satisfy the financial requirements for retirement extensions.

Edited by OJAS

The only reason to convert would be because you want to work and get a work permit, and the retirement extension does not allow work permit. There is absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, as it is much more a pain in the a** to go the marriage route, what with checking on where you live, the joint interview, and then giving you the provisional 30 day extension, which means a return trip to immigration after the yearly "probation or provisional" 30 day stamp.

I'd recommend against it unless you are starting a business or getting a job.

Maybe I',m wrong but I get the idea from your comments that with a Spouse Visa, it is easy to get a Work Permit, I have the Spouse Visa and often wonder about applying for a work permit so I can do a bit of volunteer work.

Should also mention that if you apply for a Spouse Visa, you can expect the folks from Immigration to come out and check on where you claim you are living.

They did this the first year and apparently got the typical Thai response from the neighbours. "don't know anything about any Farang", "don't ask me, I don't want to get involved" etc., My wife and I had to then front up at Immigration with one of her family members, complete with all manner of I.D., Passport and House details to vouch for the fact that the Marriage, which was well documented was authentic and that we do in fact live together.

Just thought I'd mention this aspect for you.

The only reason to convert would be because you want to work and get a work permit, and the retirement extension does not allow work permit. There is absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, as it is much more a pain in the a** to go the marriage route, what with checking on where you live, the joint interview, and then giving you the provisional 30 day extension, which means a return trip to immigration after the yearly "probation or provisional" 30 day stamp.

I'd recommend against it unless you are starting a business or getting a job.

Maybe I',m wrong but I get the idea from your comments that with a Spouse Visa, it is easy to get a Work Permit, I have the Spouse Visa and often wonder about applying for a work permit so I can do a bit of volunteer work.

Yes, you can certainly get a work permit on a marriage visa or right to remain, but as far as being easy, yes if you have the volunteer organization organize everything for you. If doing it on your own, it may be a bit of brain damage?

There is no marriage or spouse visa. A non immigrant O visa based upon marriage is issued by a embassy or consulate. A one year extension of stay based upon marriage can be obtained at immigration. Both will allow you to obtain a work permit and work.

This is from the current Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) website Consular Services Q&A page:

Q: An NGO in Thailand has invited me to go there and work for them as a volunteer for 45 days during my school break. I will not earn any money in Thailand. I am a Belgian college student in Brussels. I understand that I do not need a visa, do I?

A: Although you will work as a volunteer, you do need a Non-Immigrant visa as well as the Work Permit. The NGO must be legally registered with the Thai authority and that you need a recommendation letter from the NGO for your visa application and the Work Permit.

I think you will find, however, that very few NGOs are willing to provide a work permit for other than long-term skilled personnel and not for the causal volunteer who 'wants to help out'.

If you are on a retirement visa or a marriage visa it is NOT necessary to leave the country for renewal...and if you are a US citizen you do NOT need to have money in the bank..just a Embassy statement of income over $25,000/year......and that is easy.

Regarding retirement extensions of stay, the Thai Immigration rules for meeting the financial requirements are the same for everyone, regardless of nationality.

You can satisfy the requirement EITHER by having 800,000 in the bank (Thai bank for retirement extensions, home country bank OK for O-A retirement visas) OR at least 65,000 baht per month in income, as documented by an income letter from your consulate in Thailand.

What may differ from nationality to nationality is what process and documentation the different consulates may require for issuing the consulate income letters to their nationals. But the 65,000 baht income standard (or the 800,000 baht in bank deposits) applies to everyone regarding retirement extensions.

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

Thanks i have been missing the clear info about the merriage visa. Do you happen to have a list of requirments on the Retirement visa to??

Retirement is financials of 800k in account 2 months first or 3 months later or 65k income/pension letter from your embassy or a combination to meet 800k baht per year. Other than having a non immigrant visa entry (which you can obtain from immigration with financial proof for 2,000 baht fee) you submit same TM.7 with 4x6cm photo and fee of 1,900 baht and should have some proof of residence if asked (as where you apply is determined by where you live). If using Embassy letter you should have some proof of stated income documents to present if asked but this is seldom required and just have in file if needed. Same copies of passport/visa/arrival stamp and card. Very easy process and one visit if you already have the non immigrant visa entry.

A Rough Guide.

Snip

Thanks i have been missing the clear info about the merriage visa. Do you happen to have a list of requirements on the Retirement visa to??
Just passport copies, TM6 departure card, financial proof and proof of address.

Financial proof is for 800k in bank for 60/90 days or income of 65k.

As mentioned the extension based on retirement is very easy and quick to get when you qualify.

Extension based on marriage is not difficult but requires more paperwork (preparation) and two trips to the immigration office. (one with your wife)

If you want change from retirement to marriage extension you can better check this first with the immigration officers as sometimes they are doing difficult about this as it is more work for them.

I noticed that they tried to refuse to do this a few times at Phuket immigration and told them to stick with the retirement extension.

The people had to be very firm to get the change done.

As mentioned the extension based on retirement is very easy and quick to get when you qualify.

Extension based on marriage is not difficult but requires more paperwork (preparation) and two trips to the immigration office. (one with your wife)

If you want change from retirement to marriage extension you can better check this first with the immigration officers as sometimes they are doing difficult about this as it is more work for them.

I noticed that they tried to refuse to do this a few times at Phuket immigration and told them to stick with the retirement extension.

They have to do it if you don't show the money for retirement. Showing the money is the only way they could refuse.

They have to do it if you don't show the money for retirement. Showing the money is the only way they could refuse.

That's indeed what happened.

They had enough money for both extensions and after this officers started to do difficult.

Solution, make sure that you only have enough money for the marriage extension.

They had enough money for both extensions and after this officers started to do difficult.

Unless your ulterior motive is to obtain a work permit, I can see absolutely no point in switching from retirement to marriage as the basis for annual extensions if you can meet the retirement financial requirements. After all, an annual extension is still an annual extension at the end of the day, regardless of the basis on which it is granted.

I have been in Thailand 20 years. Originally I had a an extension based on marriage because I was working, but that was a pain in the neck involving piles of paperwork and several visits to immigration each year. Now I get an annual extension based on retirement as I am retired and have no need to work. The retirement extension is done in one visit and little paperwork. I don't advise changing unless you need to work. The advantage also is, as has happened to many of my friends here, when the wife kicks them out after taking the house, car and money in the bank, they still have a valid extension that does not need changing.

This has been talked about many times before here:

Marriage Extension:

Lower Financial Requirements

Greater Paperwork and Processing Requirements

Ability to Obtain a Work Permit

Requires the participation and involvement of your wife and potentially others

Face having to make status changes and reapply if you're ever divorced

Retirement Extension:

Higher Financial Requirements

Less Paperwork and Processing Requirements

No Ability to Obtain a Work Permit

You can do by yourself

Doesn't change anything if you're married or divorced in the future

I have been in TH since 2005, first on marriage visa, then on Turist visa including "visa runs", since 2010 on Non B with workpermit, changed to EDU visa last december, but want to go back to Marriage visa in this december, i asume i have to travel out to make this, or can i do it on the local immigration office??

NB: same wife - all the years ;-D since 2001, and income 50 k+, wife 15+

Edited by PooMik

Unless your ulterior motive is to obtain a work permit, I can see absolutely no point in switching from retirement to marriage as the basis for annual extensions if you can meet the retirement financial requirements. After all, an annual extension is still an annual extension at the end of the day, regardless of the basis on which it is granted.

Saving 400.000 Baht could be a good reason for some people.

I have been in TH since 2005, first on marriage visa, then on Turist visa including "visa runs", since 2010 on Non B with workpermit, changed to EDU visa last december, but want to go back to Marriage visa in this december, i asume i have to travel out to make this, or can i do it on the local immigration office??

You should be able to change the reason for your current extension without new visa entry.

Wife's income can't be used. Your income of 40k or more must be proven by income letter from your embassy.

You should be able to change the reason for your current extension without new visa entry.

Wife's income can't be used. Your income of 40k or more must be proven by income letter from your embassy.

I have been using Krungthai and Bangkok bank all the years, will a statement from them be enough?? it shows monthly income 50 k+, from the last 8 years?? if it is marrige visa, i dont think i can get a letter from embassy, as my income is freelance work, from a lot off countryes, but can prove a average over 60 k+ the last 8 years??

I have been using Krungthai and Bangkok bank all the years, will a statement from them be enough?? it shows monthly income 50 k+, from the last 8 years?? if it is marrige visa, i dont think i can get a letter from embassy, as my income is freelance work, from a lot off countryes, but can prove a average over 60 k+ the last 8 years??

If income is earned/paid outside the country you can use an income letter. The only other way is a work permit and proof of tax payments.

Your only option may be the 400k baht in bank for 60 days.