Convert retirement visa to marriage visa?

I'm tempted to convert my visa from extension of stay by reason of retirement to extension of stay by reason of marriage to a Thai national, I gather the process is a bit more involved than the retirement visa and that it may take a week or so - ??

The requirements are a bit foggy for me so I wonder of one of the visa experts here could advise as to the documents/processes required, and offer an opinion as to upside and downside of making the change.

All help gratefully received.

Julian

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

There is no conversion of a visa since you are not using one.

It is simply a matter of getting your next extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.

No big problem with getting extension based upon marriage. I just did my 6th.

Edited by ubonjoe

The only reason to convert would be because you want to work and get a work permit, and the retirement extension does not allow work permit. There is absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, as it is much more a pain in the a** to go the marriage route, what with checking on where you live, the joint interview, and then giving you the provisional 30 day extension, which means a return trip to immigration after the yearly "probation or provisional" 30 day stamp.

I'd recommend against it unless you are starting a business or getting a job.

• Like 2

The only reason to convert would be because you want to work and get a work permit, and the retirement extension does not allow work permit. There is absolutely no reason to do so otherwise, as it is much more a pain in the a** to go the marriage route, what with checking on where you live, the joint interview, and then giving you the provisional 30 day extension, which means a return trip to immigration after the yearly "probation or provisional" 30 day stamp.

Have you ever applied yourself? Or are you going by rumors, misinformation or flat out BS that is spread around.

I worry that people will make financial sacrifices to meet the requirements for extensions based upon retirement because of this kind of misinformation.

I could do it for retirement but I do my extensions based upon marriage by choice not because I have to.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

Another reason for going down the route of marriage extension is the missus!

In a few days I'll be off to immigration to get my first extension on the basis of retirement, which will give me time to get my paperwork sorted out from the UK and visit BKK, so I can get hitched in Thailand. Straight after that, on the wishes of my future missus, I'll change the status of my extension of stay.

She would rather see me here knowing it's for her, not just for retirement. Silly I know but there is some logic in her thinking.

• Like 1

In case of divorce you would know it was coming and have plenty of time to prepare to get another type of extension and change to it without the need to leave the country.

Nobody notifies immigration when you get a divorse other than yourself.

The extra trip is not that big a deal. Certainly not enough to justify the extra financial proof needed for a retirement extension. Just think what a person could do with the extra 400k baht needed for a retirement extension. Or the money needed to get to 800k baht if you didn't have 65k income instead of needing only 40k.

I would say there are very very few extensions not approved by the regional immigration headquarters where the applications are sent.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

In case of divorce you would know it was coming and have plenty of time to prepare to get another type of extension and change to it without the need to leave the country.

Nobody notifies immigration when you get a divorse other than yourself.

That assumes, of course, that you would be eligible for another extension type. You might be up a gum tree if, for example, you were unable to meet the retirement financial requirements or hadn't fathered any children with your ex! What other grounds would be available to you in such circumstances?

And might not notifying Immigration of your divorce be illegal?

I believe you first said that an extension based on reitrement is better than based on marriage. Ubonjoe pointed out that if the marriage ends you can still get an extension based on retirement at that point.

You know bring a different point into the discussion.

Not notifying immigration of your divorce while on an extension of stay based on marriage and have it cancelled would mean you are on overstay from the day after your divorce.

As I said there would be time to prepare.

Just recently a member made a trip to Savannakhet and got a multiple O visa based upon marriage just before his divorce because a visa would still be valid after divorce.

You could be liable for overstay from date of divorce but as long as you got to immigration within a few days they probably they would be understanding and not charge you for the fine.

It would not be exactly illegal to not notify immigration but the reason for the extension would be gone.

Another reason for going down the route of marriage extension is the missus!

In a few days I'll be off to immigration to get my first extension on the basis of retirement, which will give me time to get my paperwork sorted out from the UK and visit BKK, so I can get hitched in Thailand. Straight after that, on the wishes of my future missus, I'll change the status of my extension of stay.

She would rather see me here knowing it's for her, not just for retirement. Silly I know but there is some logic in her thinking.

Don't wish to tempt fate in your and the OP's cases, but, conversely, should one's marriage go belly-up for any reason, any extension of stay based on marriage would automatically lapse from the date of any resultant divorce, which would then mean one having 7 days max to leave the country.

An extension of stay based on retirement would, however, avoid such a calamity. For this reason I would personally never contemplate switching from retirement to marriage for extension of stay purposes unless I found myself no longer able to meet the retirement financial requirements, despite being in a sound marriage to my teerak.

Another point which might be worth bearing in mind is that, while it should be possible to accomplish a retirement extension with a single visit to one's local immigration office, one would need at least 2 visits in the case of a marriage extension (which might be a material factor if one lived a considerable distance from one's local immigration office as I do). This is because one is only given an interim 30-day "under consideration" stamp initially, after which one has to return for the final stamp - assuming, of course, that the local immigration Head Honcho has approved one's extension in the meantime.

Each to their own, I can understand where you're coming from but........

Thinking about plan 'B' before I even get married???

IMHO, not a good mental attitude to have.

I'm 120k away from the designated immigration office so it's a fair distance, so what?

It's not a hardship to have a day out and explore the surrounding area, you never know what you might come across. In my case, I prefer to be out and about doing something rather than stuck in front of a keyboard like today. (heavy rain for the last 6 hrs!) On the rare occasions an extension is refused on the basis of marriage then I still have time to go down the retirement route which would be what I previously had.

Again, everyone has a different perspective of things; good to hear you have a sound marriage.

• Like 1

Have you ever applied yourself? Or are you going by rumors, misinformation or flat out BS that is spread around.

I worry that people will make financial sacrifices to meet the requirements for extensions based upon retirement because of this kind of misinformation.

I could do it for retirement but I do my extensions based upon marriage by choice not because I have to.

No need to be nasty. Yes, I've done it myself, and am not spreading misinformation or BS. Retirement is a much easier path, and the people at immigration prefer it also because it is less work for them (They've admitted to me on several occasions). But yes, as Mario pointed out, there is the financial difference, so that is a good reason to change if the financial requirements are difficult for a person.

• Like 1

My personal experience is that life was so much simpler with the retirement visa but others may have has a different experience.

From what I can gather my wife and I will have to go through this double dip visa renewal every year we continue to live here on this visa basis.

"Thinking about plan 'B' before I even get married???

IMHO, not a good mental attitude to have."

But it is realistic. Two bits of wisdom come to mind: "Trust in god, but tie your camel" and motto of world council of Buddhists "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and do the possible". If things go sour, you want as few hooks she holds the lines to in you as possible. Exchange rate? I wish I'd put more dollars in my account earlier when rate was 40 to the dollar.

• Like 1

Retirement extensions of stay were grandfathered at last increase in price. If you are not using retirement you could face a higher bar at the time a change required. If you can meet retirement I would advise using it.

I have been in Thailand 20 years. Originally I had a an extension based on marriage because I was working, but that was a pain in the neck involving piles of paperwork and several visits to immigration each year. Now I get an annual extension based on retirement as I am retired and have no need to work. The retirement extension is done in one visit and little paperwork. I don't advise changing unless you need to work. The advantage also is, as has happened to many of my friends here, when the wife kicks them out after taking the house, car and money in the bank, they still have a valid extension that does not need changing.

Marriage visa is very involved visa and takes considerable time to obtain all the required documents, and every 90 days you must step out and in.

But if this suits you I suggest you contact http://www.thaivisaservice.com/ as they may be bale to advise you how to do so without the 400,000 baht deposit in Thai bank.

Nonesense

Whilst an extension of stay based on marriage requires a little more paper work it is easily obtained and does not require one to leave every 90 days.

The suggestion seems to relate to illegal activity.

So I obtained my O Non-Immigrant Visa on the basis of marriage in the USA. Filled out a form, provided documents confirming legal marrage and a letter from the wife along with the obligate photos. Picked it up the next day in the LA Office. No map, no interview, no hassle. Why is so much more data required if you are actually living in Thailand? 90 day stays, unlimited entrys and I'm sure extensions are allowed. Is this different than what is being discussed here?

F1

Retirement extensions of stay were grandfathered at last increase in price. If you are not using retirement you could face a higher bar at the time a change required. If you can meet retirement I would advise using it.

Glad you mentioned that as I think it is an important point. It is the main reason I changed to extensions based on retirement over the last couple of years having previously got extensions based on marriage for some 14 or more years before that.

So I obtained my O Non-Immigrant Visa on the basis of marriage in the USA. Filled out a form, provided documents confirming legal marrage and a letter from the wife along with the obligate photos. Picked it up the next day in the LA Office. No map, no interview, no hassle. Why is so much more data required if you are actually living in Thailand? 90 day stays, unlimited entrys and I'm sure extensions are allowed. Is this different than what is being discussed here?

F1

Immigration extensions are what you obtain in Thailand and these allow one year stay without exit - not the same thing as 90 day visa entry.

F1

If you have multi entry visa you are permitted to stay for 90 days per entry. You must then leave. At the end of the visas validity you must leave Thailand !

An extension of stay is for one year with no requirement to leave every 90 days and is renewable if you meet the requirements.

If you wish to extend you visa then ask here as to the process and requirements. -It is not difficult.

Edited by jrtmedic

F1

You have a visa that requires you to leave every 90 days.

Topic is about extensions of stay you get at immigration valid for 1 year. Just make reports every 90 days no need to leave the country.

A lot of stress if you end up with false or suspect stamps - even real stamps are invalid if issued improperly and it will be the holder of such stamps that pays the price. Make very sure any extension is done legally; and the only way to be sure is to do yourself (required for most in any case).

I changed over to a marriage visa from retirement visa, and everything was accomplished easily in ONE interview. We had all of the correct documents with us, and things went smoothly. Tomorrow we go in for the annual extension, and I'm hoping that will go as well. People advised me not to switch, but the lower financial requirement is a big plus, I think. I know it's child's play for you high-rolling major international TV players on here to keep 800,000 baht on ice, but I just can't make that nut.

This annual extension always makes me nervous as (your favorite metaphor/simile goes here), because one never knows when the requirements might change. One thing I have learned in my four years in LOS: the ONLY reliable source of information re immigration rules and requirements is from Royal Thai Immigration.

• Like 1