Anybody Used BullionVault to Buy/Sell Gold & Silver?

I use them for buying and selling silver, as there is no 20% vat as you don't physically hold it. i have not encountered any problems,, i'm based in UK, but that should make no difference.

Edited by howerde

Since you do not physically hold the gold; if there is ever a panic run on the market, chances are they won't have enough gold on hand to cover it.

Not sure about that.

You can only purchase gold that physically exists. It is allocated gold.

Allocated Gold

We believe allocated, insured, overseas storage is your safest way to own gold. Many people disagree with us, and they frequently buy coins to keep at home, but we believe history shows them to be making a serious mistake.

Allocated gold is held as your personal property in explicit physical form. It is not used to support a lending program, or any other financial device. It is held away from company balance sheets under a safekeeping, or custody program, so it could not be accessed by a liquidator in the event of company failure by us or the vault operator, because you are the owner, not a creditor. We like allocated gold because it is very well protected from default.

Allocated gold should be insured, because it is yours. Curiously, because it is not yours, you do not need to insure unallocated gold, because you would not necessarily have suffered a loss if it were stolen. You suffer a loss with unallocated gold if your supplier becomes insolvent, which is a separate issue.

We like holding gold overseas because history clearly shows that gold is at its most relevant during currency crises. These correlate closely to the imposition of exchange controls, which are used by governments to retain gold and currency inside a country in crisis. It's better to store outside the country before a crisis develops.

We offer you a choice: Zurich (Switzerland), London (UK), New York (USA), Toronto (Canada) and Singapore. Switzerland is the most popular, though if you wish you can spread your gold to multiple locations without paying an extra storage charge.

No experience with them but they say they charge you for storage and insurance plus between .02% and .08% per trade.

They appear to be legit along with GoldMoney.com and Goldsilver.com

I really think gold is overpriced at the moment in any case and was way overpriced a year ago. Still room to go down.

When a commodity outpaces world GDP growth by leaps and bounds, the numbers don't add up in my book and expect to see it come crashing back down soon. Hope I'm wrong for people now buying it up.

Getting delivery from BullionVault is non trivial.. Secondly theres allocated and theres allocated.. BV sells gold in golg grames and fractions of grammes as part of a larger bar.. While it may be an allocated bar, should anything happen with BV or you wish to have that allocated sent to you, its not possible to ship 56.27 grammes of a 400oz good delivery bar.

They do this to keep costs down and offer very tight spreads.. this they do and so that gets sales. Its up to you to decide if thats a big enough drawback to look for someone who offers allocated and segregated storage like goldmadesimple.com in the UK.

The more secure the setup, the more costs you end up having to handle. I mix paper gold (leverage) and gold promissory notes (Perth Mint) with physical both in storage and under my own control.

Why do people think that in a time of crisis, all they need to do is grab their knife and gold bar, along with a scale, and only they will be able to buy groceries at 7-11 by shaving the bar of gold? If this is for the aforementioned emergency, what year was the last time this happened? Invest in something that can really help you for the worst that can really happens, not something imaginary.

Edited by stoli

Why do people think that in a time of crisis, all they need to do is grab their knife and gold bar, along with a scale, and only they will be able to buy groceries at 7-11 by shaving the bar of gold? If this is for the aforementioned emergency, what year was the last time this happened? Invest in something that can really help you for the worst that can really happens, not something imaginary.

What do you suggest?

One if my pet hates is banks. I choose to keep funds elsewhere.

What do you suggest?

Right then, do what the wise guys do in Thailand, put a safe into the ceiling or floor of their small apartment and wait for the end of the world.

What do you suggest?

Right then, do what the wise guys do in Thailand, put a safe into the ceiling or floor of their small apartment and wait for the end of the world.

Or if you have a tiny apartment you could do as the Indians are being invited to do, which is to sell their gold to the governmentfacepalm.gif

India might buy gold from citizens to ease rupee crisisgiggle.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/29/us-india-economy-gold-idUSBRE97S0IW20130829