Farang V Farang Why are we ignoring each other?

Dr Robert

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Cambodia but why should I say hello to every Farang I see (would be a lot of hellos in Siem Reap anyway)? Just because 2 whiteys pass each other? OK, if I had been Stanley meeting Livingstone, perhaps.

• Like 2

If I was in some small town and hadn't seen a gringo for weeks, then yes i might be happy or enthusiastic to see one, strike up a conversation if they seemed friendly.. talk about our shared experience of being out by ourselves with no-one sharing our culture.

But there are almost 100,000 of us in Bangkok, i see dozens every day so its nothing special to me. We don't have that shared experience, Bangkok is extremely foreigner-friendly and there is never that feeling of isolation or being alien.

So in that case its not much different from being in a city back home. I wouldn't nod at strangers back home in the UK, why would i do it here.

exactly the attitude he is asking us about must be a uk thing to be a rude and arrogant .

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They seem to get upset with me when I say you have a very lovely daughter.

You sound like an old guy with hormones still doing stuff...................laugh.png alt=laugh.png>

You got it all wrong the daughter is not really the daughter

Think I am now confused, but that is normal for me. sad.png

Why should I talk to a complete stranger in the middle of the soi ? Just because we have the same white skin ?

I dont think so , I choose my friends based on interests , in a bar its easy enough to talk to others but not outside .

• Like 1

Why should I talk to a complete stranger in the middle of the soi ? Just because we have the same white skin ?

I dont think so , I choose my friends based on interests , in a bar its easy enough to talk to others but not outside .

Wear a ZZ Top or V8 muscle car T-shirt then we can talk stuff.................laugh.png

• Like 2

Wear a ZZ Top or V8 muscle car T-shirt then we can talk stuff.................laugh.png

Vroom Vroom ..... w00t.gif

Vroom Vroom ..... w00t.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vppbdf-qtGU............whistling.gif

I think it is just our attitude in general.

It is like thais seem to care about each other, stand up for each other if necessary. Foreigners too often show the opposite.

Of course, all due respect to those that act otherwise but from my experience foreigners usually just ignore each other.

It all goes back to how we were raised. Thais hear the following from a very young age: as thais, you supposed to be there for each other.

On the other side what we were taught: mind your own business.

I think it is just our attitude in general.

It is like thais seem to care about each other, stand up for each other if necessary. Foreigners too often show the opposite.

Of course, all due respect to those that act otherwise but from my experience foreigners usually just ignore each other.

It all goes back to how we were raised. Thais hear the following from a very young age: as thais, you supposed to be there for each other.

On the other side what we were taught: mind your own business.

Speak for yourself ! blink.png

• Like 1

Don't talk to strangers.

That is what I was taught.

Most foreigners I come across are 15/20 years my senior why would I want to converse with them.

I wouldn't in my home country,so I don't here.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I was in some small town and hadn't seen a gringo for weeks, then yes i might be happy or enthusiastic to see one, strike up a conversation if they seemed friendly.. talk about our shared experience of being out by ourselves with no-one sharing our culture.

But there are almost 100,000 of us in Bangkok, i see dozens every day so its nothing special to me. We don't have that shared experience, Bangkok is extremely foreigner-friendly and there is never that feeling of isolation or being alien.

So in that case its not much different from being in a city back home. I wouldn't nod at strangers back home in the UK, why would i do it here.

exactly the attitude he is asking us about must be a uk thing to be a rude and arrogant .

I suggest you never go to London if you are that desperate to make a new fwend on the street.
why are you comparing london with thailand ?? Do you even live in bkk??? get your head out your ass this is thailand your allowed to be happy here and talk to everyone.

I don't go around in Bangkok or pattaya letting on to every farang but in the smaller towns I do go out my way to at least acknowledge them/us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by longstebe
  • Like 1