You break it in Thailand ... you don't pay ... surprised?

Jingthing

Happens daily in the U.S., and you would never be asked to pay. They stock the shelves. They know they are not perfect, and things get broken. See it happen numerous times. No one ever charged. It is called "customer service".

Yes it's sounds strange.

The truth is, they will make you pay for it only if they want to. The supermarket can easily deal with a broken glass or similar as it is not a big loss. Usually they dont bother with it, thats why you didnt have to pay.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

It depends on the items really, most stuff in Supermarkets can be returned to the supplier in case of damage or spoilage ie, being expired. The suppliers(factory) just writes it off as expenses.

The displays of china wares at Central Department stores seems to be stacked quite precariously as if to catch the unsuspecting shoppers, I always feels nervous walking around there

But certain thins like glassware or crockeries, do expect to be asked to pay for it though,But if you make a big fuss out of it, keep your voice up, they usually let the Farang go.

Tops is part of Central, same as the company I work for. Policy is that such breakages are at the manager's discretion but never pursue the issue generally it's not something that causes a problem. The intriguing flipside is that staff are generally made to pay for such breakages.

"No, I work here and my wife is English. I don't want a pingpong show and I'm *not* Russian."

I wonder how much had to do with my resignation about the need to pay, almost to the point of pushing them to making me pay. Imagine if when caught in the act I had RUN away and out of store. Somehow it wouldn't have surprised me if in that case they had called the police!