My girlfriend was struggling to divide 2 by 5

johnthompson

Another Thai bashing thread - how terribly original.....

Another basher bashing the bashers - how terribly original......

How much is 50-49 ?

Defending the indefensible makes you look like a tool btw...
That makes 2 of us then ?

Only if you eat the way you talk.

Wanna get together for dinner ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are going out with a 30 year old dill.

Some people want nothing more than this. You clearly do.

Amazing that some guys would choose to be with a woman such as this, and then come on an anonymous forum to complain about it. This is why expats in Thailand get no respect.

Why ?

+1

A partial answer regarding 2006:

The middle class swelled its ranks significantly during early 2000, rural families who previously had very little moved into the middle class and became owners of electronic goods, new cars, new TV's etc and with that came a greater exposure to many of things they had previously not had real access to. Also, there will have been an increase in TV channels and access to them, radio channel;s and entertainment venues such as disco's etc, mostly quite rare previously - a ten year time frame in Thailand can mean substantial change, especially then when there were so many poor rural people.

So it sounds like your girlfriend has been playing catch up in many respect, I've seen similar with other younger Thai's. But if you're going to fault her as a bad or incompatable girlfirend that's one thing, but to fault her because her level of education and general knowledge doesn't meet your standards is something else entirely, anyway, what took you so long to find out!

I know some blonde girls in my home country that could not even explain why 2 + 2 is 4 . I think this is a world wide problem .

Wittgenstein asked in his Philosophical Investigations why, simply because addition has worked for numbers we've come across so far, it should work for new additions or higher numbers in future.

He asked why 57 + 68 (I believe) should come to 125 and not 5.

I dare say that Thai shopgirls have advanced to a similar sceptical view and so show the intelligence of putting the onus of responsibility on the calculator

"It wasn't me, guv”

Sadly it doesn't show on thie following map whcih suggests the Thais are doubly unfortunate.

Still, we love them.

Edited by cheeryble

I'm sure most of you couldn't divide 2/5 without a calculator, or learn basic math from this pic.

My point exactly. Dividing 2 by 5 isn't that easy.

Thanks

Hmmmmm, I am an old guy that never had a calculator back then at school but I now can still divide 2 by 5. whistling.gif

I'm sure most of you couldn't divide 2/5 without a calculator, or learn basic math from this pic.

My point exactly. Dividing 2 by 5 isn't that easy.

Thanks

Hmmmmm, I am an old guy that never had a calculator back then at school but I now can still divide 2 by 5. whistling.gif

Exactly. Without even trying hard......

I'm stunned. Asked the missus a few months ago about the number of weeks in a year (as a suggestion in another TV thread) and got the answer 48. I explained why it's 52 and she beat herself up for getting it wrong. She's no slug and has nearly completed her accounting degree as an adult student. She's OK with numbers and has occasionally spotted mistakes on a handwritten bill at restaurants etc., but I've never really probed her maths as such.

I just asked her the 2/5 question, she gives me a sideways look and says "point four, or maybe 40%". I asked her why and she shows me on a calculator. I asked her why again and she drags out her phone translator and gives me a lesson on numerators and denominators while she did the simple algebra on paper. I mean, I knew the answer but if I had to do the simple algebra I'd be struggling after all these years.

I double checked by asking her what's 9/4 and she said 2.25 straight off. I need a beer!!!

• Like 1

I have been here for 34 years and I cannot count how many farangs I have met that lost everything to such stupid girls, they lost their house, car, money, property etc... Now can you tell me who cannot count, the girls or those men?

I have met plenty of expats who have told me stories about guys losing everything to "such stupid" girls but I have never actually met anyone to whom this has actually happened.

I have. sad.png

Me too. We call him Grumpy XXX because he is these days after losing the lot.

Hmmmmm, I am an old guy that never had a calculator back then at school but I now can still divide 2 by 5. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Exactly. Without even trying hard......

bravo bravo!!! mensa members here

Perhaps, hows your calc battery. whistling.gif ...................smile.png

Thai-bashing is of course a popular pastime for quite a few posters on TV. However, to ridicule the girl friend on a public forum must be a new low. I hope she reads your post and has enough sense to dump you.

Or if you're German dump on you. biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have absolutely no problem with shop assistants using a calculator and showing me the result - how is that any different to someone racking it up in a till (with or without a barcode scanner) and asking me for the resulting amount ? I never walk into a shop thinking 'Hey, I bet I spent more years at school than these folks !'. When it comes to women, I'm not attracted to them on the basis of their ability to do basic arithmetic : 36-22-34 are about the only figures that interest me ....

Would that be a 36 B or C?

Perhaps if they watched news and discovery channel instead of those Thai soaps, they might have a better all round general knowledge.

Ask them about how many screams are required before bursting into tears and I bet they know the answer.

Why should we attempt to fill some of our Thai friends with irrelevant (to them) trivia and worthless information? It is a relative issue. Most are largely content with what they need to know to put food on the table and lead a quiet life. By contrast we, who claim to have greater levels of common knowledge and general education, strive to become more knowledgeable about largely FA in the wider context, but that's the way we are conditioned. As I get older after a lifetime of working and competing, I somehow yearn for a simpler and less cluttered existence.