Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

With all due respect, there is nothing silly at all about purporting to teach a subject that could involve the ordinary person losing even part of their savings.

But you've lost part of your savings this year from your gold investments. A contradiction, no? Now you've learned you'd better be hoarding soap.

You can't teach investment w/o recognizing risk. It's simply not possible: no risk, no reward. Whether you win or lose depends on (besides the investments themselves and your method) the time frame. You can take profits or not during the time frame. Successful investors easily might lose on 61% of their trades. But the 39% more than makes up for them, you see.

In your case, guaranteed bank deposits will be worthless also during the coming Apocalypse. So one can't teach putting money in a bank either!

Having made your point--DON'T FOR GOD'S SAKE BUY SHARES; HEAD FOR THE HILLS--you're done here now, aren't you? Pls go provide more amusement in the Investment forum. Thank you.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This "investment forum" on Thaivisa, is this that "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" in which all I seem to see is how to withdraw/exchange money, a few strange threads where people seem confused as to what an exchange rate is, how to open a bank account etc, maybe one in ten looks to be market focused but even then its pretty basic? Is this where the Thaivisa investment and trading gurus hold forth and dazzle us with their superior knowledge and insight?

Talk about big fish and small ponds...or minnows in dirty puddles more aptly...or are the high brow discussions going on in some thread that I've missed?

Sorry paddyjenkins but with ONLY a little over 100 posts, you haven't been INVITED to run with the TV big dogs yet.

Got a laugh out of that! smile.png

With all due respect, there is nothing silly at all about purporting to teach a subject that could involve the ordinary person losing even part of their savings.

But you've lost part of your savings this year from your gold investments. A contradiction, no? Now you've learned you'd better be hoarding soap.

You can't teach investment w/o recognizing risk. It's simply not possible: no risk, no reward. Whether you win or lose depends on (besides the investments themselves and your method) the time frame. You can take profits or not during the time frame. Successful investors easily might lose on 61% of their trades. But the 39% more than makes up for them, you see.

In your case, guaranteed bank deposits will be worthless also during the coming Apocalypse. So one can't teach putting money in a bank either!

Having made your point--DON'T FOR GOD'S SAKE BUY SHARES; HEAD FOR THE HILLS--you're done here now, aren't you? Pls go provide more amusement in the Investment forum. Thank you.

I don't agree that I have lost savings on my gold bullion because as I said before I regard it as an insurance.

You probably pay the equivalent of thousands of dollars every year in insurance premiums for various things such as property insurance, household insurance, car insurance, etc, but I'm sure you don't complain at the end of the year that you have lost money because you don't think of it that way? You realise you had peace of mind by having the insurance policies.

My bullion is locked away in a safety deposit box and quite honestly I hardly even think about it. But I have lost no more money than someone who pays all these annual premiums to various insurance companies. But the big difference is, in my case I still have something physical I can recover should the need arise whereas the insurance premium you pay expires due to effluxion of time.

As to your point about 61% versus 39% trades I agree this methodology can apply under normal market conditions and may have applied since quantitative easing went into full swing all around the world after 2008. But this QE is now tapering off everywhere and I put it to you that the risk of investing in the stock market as of today is too great versus the possibility of a sharp decline ? ( like the Nikkei in 1990 ).

Incidentally, if you and the Walen School of Investment profess to have sufficient expertise to teach the subject can you please explain why you think Bualuang securities emailed their clients yesterday with the following advice :-

Action:we suggest reducing exposure to the stock market at the current level.

Do you know something Bualuang securities don't. Do you have more expertise than Bualuang securities?

Edited by midas

My bullion is locked away in a safety deposit box and quite honestly I hardly even think about it. But I have lost no more money than someone who pays all these annual premiums to various insurance companies.

Just more irrationality. People who pay insurance premiums don't lose ANY money. They paid for a product that didn't go down in value at all. The payable amount stayed the same for the term of the policy.

Moreover, the amount paid in premium represents leverage for a much larger amount if needed. Your gold is just worth the market price of the moment, and that amount went down significantly this year and could fall much further. You don't know: all you have is dreams, really.

But the big difference is, in my case I still have something physical I can recover should the need arise whereas the insurance premium you pay expires due to effluxion of time.[/size][/font]

Apples and oranges, pal. You want to imagine your gold is "insurance" but it isn't at all the same as "insurance," and imagining won't make it so.

It's all just symptomatic of a religionist-style obsession. I'd call it an illness, really. Glad I didn't follow your views: I'd still be lying around reading paperback science fiction novels in a cheap rented room lit by a bare light bulb.

As to your point about 61% versus 39% trades I agree this methodology can apply under normal market conditions and may have applied since quantitative easing went into full swing all around the world after 2008. But this QE is now tapering off everywhere and I put it to you that the risk of investing in the stock market as of today is too great versus the possibility of a sharp decline ? ( like the Nikkei in 1990 ).

Predictions are like <deleted>, eh: everybody's got one. As I told you, for every prediction of rain, there's another for sunshine.

Incidentally, if you and the Walen School of Investment profess to have sufficient expertise to teach the subject can you please explain why you think Bualuang securities emailed their clients yesterday with the following advice :-

Action:we suggest reducing exposure to the stock market at the current level.

Do you know something Bualuang securities don't. Do you have more expertise than Bualuang securities?

Well, midas, you always look for somebody else, a surrogate Momma, to do your thinking for you. And you merely look for sources that agree with your preconceived notions. It's the old story of a hammer only seeing nails.

Bualuang does its thing, I do mine. There are quite a few fund managers w/i Bualuang: no doubt some of them disagree w/ whoever wrote that cautionary note. Some probably moved into cash just before the decline starting May 21 then bought back in on June 24.

There's no crystal ball anywhere--besides yours of course. smile.png

Handling risk is fundamental to investing. You think that downturns are ruinous. Actually they're good: you buy more. Upturns are good, too: you sell and profit. Bulls make money; bears make money. Pigs lose money. smile.png

I don't know anything about Mac Whalen. The only thing I think about him is that, as an objective observer, I don't see any problem w/ his offering a one-day seminar for those who might be interested and might benefit. As I said long ago in this thread, those who might benefit know who they are. If they don't benefit, they can enjoy complaining here, which is worth a lot to many of our members. wink.png

Otherwise, we just have a gaggle of trolls here enjoying blowing hot air w/ no intention whatsoever of attending the seminar and no real interest in it.

• Like 1

JSixPack.

As you are so keen to defend the OP and the seminar would you kindly enlighten us poor souls exactly which part of the Seminar you would think benefits us most?

Just which parts and topics you think will be most interesting.

• Like 1

JSixPack.

As you are so keen to defend the OP and the seminar would you kindly enlighten us poor souls exactly which part of the Seminar you would think benefits us most?

Just which parts and topics you think will be most interesting.

How would I possibly know which parts will benefit you most? Don't know a thing about you. Mac Walen gave a short list of what'd he be covering, generally speaking, w/ focus on the Thai market. You can go find that post for yourself, I'm sure.

Anyway, the point's moot as you've decided he has no moral or ethical principles. So, you have no interest. Time to buzz off?

Edited by JSixpack

Sooooooo JS. Have you lots of wonga to gamble with or are you like many (me) who really must take care of what we have. ?

Be honest now. smile.png

All depends on your notion of taking care, doesn't it? If you think letting it's inflation eat up your savings in a bank account, then in your mind that's taking care, no?

What I can tell you is that the only way I got out of the rat race early was through investing, and I started with less than nothing: I started in debt.

Unlike our trust fund beneficiaries, nobody gave me a thing, except that my parents, bless 'em, did pay for my undergraduate degree. And that was all--later I received no inheritance of any kind whatsoever.

My dad, you see, like yourself, was firm skeptic and opponent of investing in anything. The Great Depression taught him that bit of wisdom. Keeping his money safe in his beloved Credit Union, he subsequently died w/o a pot to piss in, whereas he could have been sittin' pretty, and left me a nice tidy sum, just by investing in the Templeton Fund starting in 1954. $10,000 invested then would be worth $10,000,000 today. He could have dollar-cost averaged.

So, yeah, personally I've believed for many years in capitalism and stock markets and investing regardless of one's financial status--with prudence.

Each person has to find what he himself is comfortable with. Lot of books out there (but only one I know of addressing Thailand). Over in the Investment forum, member fletchsmile offers some cogent advice--which you might compare w/ Mac Whalen if you go to his seminar. Naam, though brilliant, sticks to bonds, and his methods are suitably arcane, definitely not for a beginner.

Sooooooo JS. Have you lots of wonga to gamble with or are you like many (me) who really must take care of what we have. ?

Be honest now. smile.png

All depends on your notion of taking care, doesn't it? If you think letting it's inflation eat up your savings in a bank account, then in your mind that's taking care, no?

What I can tell you is that the only way I got out of the rat race early was through investing, and I started with less than nothing: I started in debt.

Unlike our trust fund beneficiaries, nobody gave me a thing, except that my parents, bless 'em, did pay for my undergraduate degree. And that was all--later I received no inheritance of any kind whatsoever.

My dad, you see, like yourself, was firm skeptic and opponent of investing in anything. The Great Depression taught him that bit of wisdom. Keeping his money safe in his beloved Credit Union, he subsequently died w/o a pot to piss in, whereas he could have been sittin' pretty, and left me a nice tidy sum, just by investing in the Templeton Fund starting in 1954. $10,000 invested then would be worth $10,000,000 today. He could have dollar-cost averaged.

So, yeah, personally I've believed for many years in capitalism and stock markets and investing regardless of one's financial status--with prudence.

Each person has to find what he himself is comfortable with. Lot of books out there (but only one I know of addressing Thailand). Over in the Investment forum, member fletchsmile offers some cogent advice--which you might compare w/ Mac Whalen if you go to his seminar. Naam, though brilliant, sticks to bonds, and his methods are suitably arcane, definitely not for a beginner.

So everyone could have made $10,000,000 with your advise. Hmmmm, so where would all this cash come from. ?

Handling risk is fundamental to investing. You think that downturns are ruinous. Actually they're good: you buy more. Upturns are good, too: you sell and profit. Bulls make money; bears make money. Pigs lose money. smile.png

But those people who were invested more in Japan in February 1990 made a mistake if they bought more? So that downturn was ruinous for many people? How do you know were not facing the same conditions again now?

post-6925-0-34492600-1378561088_thumb.pn

Here's my three golden rules for investing;

1. Buy when others are selling.

2. When selling has pushed the broader market indices down; buy companies which are comparably expensive.

3. Only buy profitable companies & you should understand their business model.

Perhaps that's four rules.

Regarding P/E ratios...

There's five (5) states of expression when combined with share price:

1. +++ The stock has a low PE ratio because the market is pricing in future declines / contraction.

2. ++ The stock has a high PE ratio because the market is pricing in future profits / expansion.

3. +/- The stock is at fair value

4. -- The stock has a low PE ratio because the market is pricing in future future declines / contraction.

5. --- The stock has a high PE ratio because the market is pricing in pricing in future profits / expansion.

Ideally; you should buy at state five (5) and sell on state one (1)... although it's incredibly hard to buy that which is expensive and sell that which is cheap when looking at a chart.

Personally I think buying now is a trap of the first (1) order !!

Good Luck.

Edited by RandomSand

But those people who were invested more in Japan in February 1990 made a mistake if they bought more? So that downturn was ruinous for many people? How do you know were not facing the same conditions again now?

Midas, you're just the same as in the investment forum. That graph doesn't prove what you think it does. You see all those bounces after the crash? As I noted, only the pigs invested EVERYTHING they had at the top, so they lost money. Others who knew what they were doing sold on the way up to the top so they had plenty of cash besides what they always kept in reserve. Then they waited as it fell and invested towards the bottom. Then sold again during the subsequent upticks and bought during the downticks. Plenty of nice volatility there after the crash. And if as in your fondest dream we're facing the same thing now, then that's exactly the same thing to do to make money out of it.

Markets by no means have to always go straight up to enable one to make money. You're always going to lose sometimes while investing in anything. You get used to it.

So, no, they didn't make a mistake at all. You just wish they did, 'cause you just know how to hoard gold, not invest. DUH. I'm not fooling around w/ you anymore either. Now, DON'T attend the seminar and try to monopolize it with apocalyptic paranoid rants and nonsense.

I would like to ask that if people attend this seminar and they have paid their money will they then be allowed to ask questions?

I hope the audience is not expected to sit there and simply take everything that is being told as gospel?

And I would hope that questions from the audience are dealt with in a respectful manner by the seminar organisers and not with the hostility that has been shown by supporters of this seminar within this thread?

• Like 2

I would like to ask that if people attend this seminar and they have paid their money will they then be allowed to ask questions?

I hope the audience is not expected to sit there and simply take everything that is being told as gospel?

And I would hope that questions from the audience are dealt with in a respectful manner by the seminar organisers and not with the hostility that has been shown by supporters of this seminar within this thread?

Don't be so silly, we can't ask questions, we are expected to pay the money and then just hope we hear something we haven't heard before.

• Like 1

clap2.gif , well said that man.

Seems ''know nothing financial'' folk like myself are deemed not worth talking too. sad.png

Edited by transam

Midas, you're just the same as in the investment forum. That graph doesn't prove what you think it does. You see all those bounces after the crash? As I noted, only the pigs invested EVERYTHING they had at the top, so they lost money. Others who knew what they were doing sold on the way up to the top so they had plenty of cash besides what they always kept in reserve. Then they waited as it fell and invested towards the bottom. Then sold again during the subsequent upticks and bought during the downticks. Plenty of nice volatility there after the crash. And if as in your fondest dream we're facing the same thing now, then that's exactly the same thing to do to make money out of it.

Markets by no means have to always go straight up to enable one to make money. You're always going to lose sometimes while investing in anything. You get used to it.

So, no, they didn't make a mistake at all. You just wish they did, 'cause you just know how to hoard gold, not invest. DUH. I'm not fooling around w/ you anymore either. Now, DON'T attend the seminar and try to monopolize it with apocalyptic paranoid rants and nonsense.

But hang on! From the outset of this thread, this seminar has been advertised that it is NOT BASED ON TRADING ?

The scenario you're describing is trading and I don't care what anyone says you could never adequately learn the skills that would be required to catch the right moves in the right directions in a one-day seminar?

But hang on! From the outset of this thread, this seminar has been advertised that it is NOT BASED ON TRADING ?

The scenario you're describing is trading and I don't care what anyone says you could never adequately learn the skills that would be required to catch the right moves in the right directions in a one-day seminar?

Poor midas, you see anytime you buy or sell some shares, you are making a trade. You're trading cash for shares and vice-versa. That could be once a year or once every five years.

You've gotten confused, perhaps willfully, with day trading, a specialized sort of trading you can research for yourself. But, no, I didn't confuse making some trades at roughly the right times with day trading. And yes, people can do that without being real quants.

A classic story has an investor approaching a member of the Rothschild banking family looking for advice. The investor asked, "How did you become so wealthy?" To which Mr. Rothchild replied, "I always sold too soon."

The seminar is geared towards the basics. You're trying to pretend it's promising what it isn't--another straw man.

I'm also intrigued as to why MaWalen himself is often as quiet as a church mouse and simply ignores many questions and requests? And yet another TV member seems to be far more interested in vigourously addressing people's differences of opinion regarding this seminar more than the original poster himself? It just seems very strange?

This "investment forum" on Thaivisa, is this that "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" in which all I seem to see is how to withdraw/exchange money, a few strange threads where people seem confused as to what an exchange rate is, how to open a bank account etc, maybe one in ten looks to be market focused but even then its pretty basic? Is this where the Thaivisa investment and trading gurus hold forth and dazzle us with their superior knowledge and insight?

Talk about big fish and small ponds...or minnows in dirty puddles more aptly...or are the high brow discussions going on in some thread that I've missed?

bull's eye! that's the one thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm also intrigued as to why MaWalen himself is often as quiet as a church mouse and simply ignores many questions and requests? And yet another TV member seems to be far more interested in vigourously addressing people's differences of opinion regarding this seminar more than the original poster himself? It just seems very strange?

I have a recreational interest perhaps not shared by Mac Walen. smile.png He's probably much busier than I am, too. I've a delightfully lazy Saturday after having had a good deal of fun out yesterday.

Edited by JSixpack

Asiantravel, of course questions will be allowed. Also I am not hostile towards anybody. Im a friendly guy and people who know me like me so dont worry about it.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MacWalen

I have a recreational interest perhaps not shared by Mac Walen. smile.png He's probably much busier than I am, too. I've a delightfully lazy Saturday after having had a good deal of fun out yesterday.

You are probably aware, the stock exchange of Thailand runs regular free seminars on investing with follow-up instruction called e-learning on the Internet, which allows you to have video conferencing with some of the teachers. What is your argument for people paying to attend your seminar versus the the free stock exchange seminars which allow you to build your knowledge over a long time versus trying to learn everything within one day and then have to pay money for it as well?

I say Asiantravel let them do it. No argument against it. I dont do the seminar to make a lot of money. Im rich enough and don't really need to do anthing. I love the topic, I find it fascinating. Thats why I want to share my knowledge and skills. If they have different or better options Im totally fine with it.

I say Asiantravel let them do it. No argument against it. I dont do the seminar to make a lot of money. Im rich enough and don't really need to do anthing. I love the topic, I find it fascinating. Thats why I want to share my knowledge and skills. If they have different or better options Im totally fine with it.

If you are rich enough and do it for the love of it then why are you charging people?

We still have no details of what you will be discussed, except you are going to talk about how to make money.

Because I approach it seriously and this is business for me. I don't mind more business and this is interesting. So much interest that I intend to give seminars in 3 languages. English, Thai and Russian.

"After the market crashed in 1974 a reporter asked Warren Buffett: 'How do you contemplate the current stock market?'

'Like an oversexed guy in a harem,' he shot back. 'This is the time to start investing.'"

Sorry paddyjenkins but with ONLY a little over 100 posts, you haven't been INVITED to run with the TV big dogs yet.

Got a laugh out of that! smile.png

Wow...7400 posts...is that what I need to get INVITED to the TV big dogs investment thread? Okay then, as soon as I have nothing better to do i guess I should get busy writing thousands of posts...