Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

I'm a professional forex broker and I can tell you that your entire portfolio looks like it is about to crash and burn,if I was you I'd close all those positions out and consult a professional,it's not for everyone and on the evidence you've provided us with here it's definitely not for you!w00t.gif

The average investor would be well advised to steer clear of any forex plays because forex by its nature is akin to gambling.

The average investor would also be well advised to steer clear of any share day trading whatsoever and leave that to the professionals who have enough troubling making money out of it.

I have known plenty of smart people who thought they could become day traders and they all failed. It is not easy and most people aren't cut out for it and certainly don't want to spend the time and effort and discipline required to make a success of it.

Far better to invest in good companies with strong balance sheets, history of earnings, good moat, high ROE etc. Look for good entry points on these sort of stocks and hold and continue to monitor performance.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean some of the finest Thai companies will close down? I don't think so. I am an investor not a trader. Different mentality, different animals. Let's see in a year's time. Hopefully they will not close the SET down.

Forex traders are the biggest bulshit artists on the planet. Usually trading with small amounts and bleeding to death. True gamblers. Im yet to know one sussessful one. There must be some. Ratio 1/99?

Whatever is leverage is asking for big trouble.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

Check the recent one. It was 2.8 mil today and getting greener and greener. No kidding, given time the return on this portfolio will be better than bank interest. Most likely much better. What will you say then?

Check the recent one. It was 2.8 mil today and getting greener and greener. No kidding, given time the return on this portfolio will be better than bank interest. Most likely much better. What will you say then?

Actually my bad,I glanced at your portfolio postings and thought I was seeing the whole portfolio.With retrospection I see the portfolio is around 80 million,so you're only down around 5% at about 4 million.It's all in baht whereas I'm used to trading in USD so it looked a lot worse to me at first glance!

Having said that...between 10-30% of winning trades is certainly no recipe for success and is actually abysmal trading,I noticed you already pre-empted this with the disclaimer that "I'm no trader,I'm an investor"!laugh.png

My friend,a long trade is just a short one that went wrong.Lucky for you,you can sit in stocks until the cows come home or they become profitable positions but at that point,the market is trading you,you are NOT trading the market!So to claim you're in a position of being able to teach people to do what you cannot,i.e.trade the markets for profit is quite laughable!

If you had more trading history I'm sure you would be sharing it so you're obviously new to these markets,your idea is quite clearly that you'd rather trade other people's money than your own/your schools money,as you probably realise that you're going to lose your own/your schools collective money otherwise!

So to anyone thinking about this course,you're sponsoring the OP's first foray into the capital markets with no experience or knowledge,he may make or lose a fortune for you it's a 50/50 bet!

Now I'm not a betting man but if I were...w00t.gif

You mean some of the finest Thai companies will close down? I don't think so. I am an investor not a trader. Different mentality, different animals. Let's see in a year's time. Hopefully they will not close the SET down. Forex traders are the biggest bulshit artists on the planet. Usually trading with small amounts and bleeding to death. True gamblers. Im yet to know one sussessful one. There must be some. Ratio 1/99? Whatever is leverage is asking for big trouble. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes because George Soros is a real loser,isn't he?cheesy.gif

Despite running one of the most successful and top 5 hedge funds on the planet making billions of dollars year-on-year for his clients.Are you for real,this just gets better and better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

• Like 1

Please lay off MacWalen. I've purchased two tubs of snake oil and happy thus far.

In all seriousness, MacWalen, I'll have to reinforce the usual disclaimer:

The value of investments can go down as well as up. Your investment isn't guaranteed, so you may get back less than your original investment. [No matter how confident you are in your investments].

Please lay off MacWalen. I've purchased two tubs of snake oil and happy thus far.

The value of investments can go down as well as up. Your investment isn't guaranteed, so you may get back less than your original investment. [No matter how confident you are in your investments].

I'm not really sure what you mean,I'm just feeding the rope out as he slowly but surely hangs himself,great entertainment now the football's just finished!whistling.gif

I'm a professional forex broker and I can tell you that your entire portfolio looks like it is about to crash and burn,if I was you I'd close all those positions out and consult a professional,it's not for everyone and on the evidence you've provided us with here it's definitely not for you!w00t.gif

The average investor would be well advised to steer clear of any forex plays because forex by its nature is akin to gambling.

The average investor would also be well advised to steer clear of any share day trading whatsoever and leave that to the professionals who have enough troubling making money out of it.

I have known plenty of smart people who thought they could become day traders and they all failed. It is not easy and most people aren't cut out for it and certainly don't want to spend the time and effort and discipline required to make a success of it.

Far better to invest in good companies with strong balance sheets, history of earnings, good moat, high ROE etc. Look for good entry points on these sort of stocks and hold and continue to monitor performance.

EXACTLY what I've been saying since my first post back many pages. Buy good stock, hold, reinvest dividends, and watch. You can't just walk away and forget it though. It needs to be watched.

The other piece of advice I would give is to avoid listening to the multitude of 'analysts/gurus' who produce daily, or even hourly, newsletters (generally for a fee), and just a couple of them here in Australia are Money Morning and Motley Fool. Check on the actual companies' reports on the exchange website, and base decisions on that information.

Almost 100% of day traders lose money, but as they drop out, there is never a shortage of those willing to give it a try.

Actually my bad,I glanced at your portfolio postings and thought I was seeing the whole portfolio.With retrospection I see the portfolio is around 80 million,so you're only down around 5% at about 4 million.It's all in baht whereas I'm used to trading in USD so it looked a lot worse to me at first glance!

Having said that...between 10-30% of winning trades is certainly no recipe for success and is actually abysmal trading,I noticed you already pre-empted this with the disclaimer that "I'm no trader,I'm an investor"!laugh.png

My friend,a long trade is just a short one that went wrong.Lucky for you,you can sit in stocks until the cows come home or they become profitable positions but at that point,the market is trading you,you are NOT trading the market!So to claim you're in a position of being able to teach people to do what you cannot,i.e.trade the markets for profit is quite laughable!

If you had more trading history I'm sure you would be sharing it so you're obviously new to these markets,your idea is quite clearly that you'd rather trade other people's money than your own/your schools money,as you probably realise that you're going to lose your own/your schools collective money otherwise!

So to anyone thinking about this course,you're sponsoring the OP's first foray into the capital markets with no experience or knowledge,he may make or lose a fortune for you it's a 50/50 bet!

Now I'm not a betting man but if I were...w00t.gif

You are not an investor at all. You are a gambler and are no position to criticise anyone.

Investors do not worry about short term fluctuations in the market. In fact they use them to their advantage and look for good quality businesses that are undervalued and buy and hold them. This is basically Warren Buffets methodology along with many other successful investors.

I suggest reading Ben Grahams book who is the father of value investing to get an idea of investing.

Trading is a whole other business and not suitable for the vast majority of people.

• Like 2

And that is so that is why we learn how to optimise our chances to get a good return on our investment.

You mean some of the finest Thai companies will close down? I don't think so. I am an investor not a trader. Different mentality, different animals. Let's see in a year's time. Hopefully they will not close the SET down. Forex traders are the biggest bulshit artists on the planet. Usually trading with small amounts and bleeding to death. True gamblers. Im yet to know one sussessful one. There must be some. Ratio 1/99? Whatever is leverage is asking for big trouble. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes because George Soros is a real loser,isn't he?cheesy.gif

Despite running one of the most successful and top 5 hedge funds on the planet making billions of dollars year-on-year for his clients.Are you for real,this just gets better and better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

George Soros is not your regular forex trader, is he? That is a really missed example. I'm talking about forex traders I've met, they trade with small money, sometimes win a little but mostly lose money. Once bled to death they are not more forex traders. Whatever is leveraged is risky. Also I do not teach treading but investing.

George Soros is not your regular forex trader, is he? That is a really missed example. I'm talking about forex traders I've met, they trade with small money, sometimes win a little but mostly lose money. Once bled to death they are not more forex traders. Whatever is leveraged is risky. Also I do not teach treading but investing.

Edited by MacWalen

It seems like most people on this forum are of the opinion that particular distinction lies with you! laugh.png

The guy that called you an aggressive,arrogant idiot was spot on!I look forward to watching you lose your money on here,the beauty of it is that you will keep telling yourself you're right until you're completely wiped out and possibly in debt you're so full of yourself!

Pride comes before a fall and this should be some train wreck!laugh.png

Do you know what an Elliott wave is,a Bollinger Band,a Fibonacci Retracement?Of course you don't,just hilarious!Your paper trail so far is comedy gold and I can't actually believe you're posting it on here for anything more than a bet!!!cheesy.gif

I understand that when it comes to investing our opinions differ, you may know something about trading but I am not a trader.

How can my positions be wiped out? If the companies I bought went bankrupt and were not doing any business anymore, or I was leveraged and as a result of a market crash my positions had to be sold. It is possible that they may lost significant amount of their value but even then if you are patient enough they will recover. I am a realist and I believe the Thai economy will keep on going.

Now getting into debt on this portfolio if a nonsense talk. How would that be possible? School does not invest borrowed money but excess cash plus we always hold cash reserves equals to estimated one year expenses of all branches. We do not carry any debt at all. You do not wish us well, make sure you wish to others does not happen to you as I do not wish you any bad luck or misfortune. Just the opposite. I am happy when others are doing well.

I'm not really sure what you mean,I'm just feeding the rope out as he slowly but surely hangs himself,great entertainment now the football's just finished!whistling.gif

I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

EXACTLY what I've been saying since my first post back many pages. Buy good stock, hold, reinvest dividends, and watch. You can't just walk away and forget it though. It needs to be watched.

The other piece of advice I would give is to avoid listening to the multitude of 'analysts/gurus' who produce daily, or even hourly, newsletters (generally for a fee), and just a couple of them here in Australia are Money Morning and Motley Fool. Check on the actual companies' reports on the exchange website, and base decisions on that information.

Almost 100% of day traders lose money, but as they drop out, there is never a shortage of those willing to give it a try.

The percentage of day traders who lose money is probably not quite "almost 100%" but evidence suggests it is a high percentage, probably in excess of 80. The real figure is unknown as the brokerage firms don't like the world to know this ugly truth. But then again, for the small number who do succeed the upside may be huge as well as the lifestyle being much better than coooped up in an office as someone else's employee/slave. So small numbers of great successes versus large number of minor failures may just net out, which in a zero sum game (minus commission and bid/ask spreads and risk free rate effects) is the only possible outcome.

Analysts/forecasters/experts/commentators both on the television, newsletters, a cousin, a brother in law, a taxi driver, in some bar, on some website such as this, are mostly rubbish, but again, not all. Some are fantastic, you have to learn who they are. Personally I find the bad ones as useful in aggregate as the good ones, they tell me what the average idiot thinks and believe it or not that is valuable information if you know how to use it. I agree that its best to judge yourself based on the hard numbers, but that doesn't mean all opinion out there should be ignored. If you were a panning for Gold by sifting through the silt and pebbles of a river, most would be worthless, fools Gold at best, but some would be real.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

In his popular book titled A Random Walk Down Wall Street, which has used a picture of a dart sticking in the stock listings on its cover in each edition since 1985, Malkiel [1996, p. 24] states “taken to its logical extreme, the random walk theory means that a blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a newspaper’s financial pages could select a “dartboard portfolio” that would do just as well as one carefully selected by the experts.”

No, in fact you're just trolling. Yawn.

Silly trolls. They come out of the woodwork, eh.

BTW, I dunno what's with the MacWalen-is-arrogant hysteria. Doesn't seem arrogant at all to me. I'd know it if I saw it smile.png and would readily agree if it were true. He's shown he practices what he preaches: put his own company money on the line; he's given positions and performance figures. He said he's not offering investment advice.

He said he was teaching some basic stuff about getting started, w/ emphasis on the Thai market, so Elliott Waves just ain't going to enter into it except as a reference for further self-study for those interested. And very few are going to be interested. wink.png

I'm not promoting MacWalen, just don't see any problem in his offering this particular seminar that nobody's required to attend. He's given enough info for our members to decided whether it's appropriate OR NOT for their level of expertise. If it's obviously not appropriate for the experienced, successful YOU, then what are you doing in the thread besides trolling anyway. Buzz off.

And if you think you know better and this is such lucrative endeavor, then just offer your own damn seminar.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

You started out w/ a comment on someone else's opinion, not your own. You were wondering; I took your wonderment seriously, questioned your reasons for it, and gave you a great example that totally contradicted the implication you were attempting to make; you ignored that, warmly rubbed yourself, and merely came up with you yourself wouldn't do it. Period.

You are, unsurprisingly, totally wrong again.

What I actually started out with was this:

"If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts? Just wondering."

Now I don't see where that is a comment on anyone's opinion, apart from my own. Maybe your cheap mail-order psychology course taught you otherwise, and in that case maybe you should ask for your money back?

Either way, if you spent a little bit more time reading what other people actually write and a little bit less time telling people what's wrong with them based on your entirely imaginary version of what they write and who they are, you might appear to be a bit less foolish.

You started out w/ a comment on someone else's opinion, not your own. You were wondering; I took your wonderment seriously, questioned your reasons for it, and gave you a great example that totally contradicted the implication you were attempting to make; you ignored that, warmly rubbed yourself, and merely came up with you yourself wouldn't do it. Period.

You are, unsurprisingly, totally wrong again.

What I actually started out with was this:

"If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts? Just wondering."

Now I don't see where that is a comment on anyone's opinion, apart from my own.

Well, you wouldn't, of course, but I do and so can anyone can besides yourself. Someone--MacWalen--is holding the opinion that he really knows how to make money investing in Thailand. And another of his opinions is that even so, or because of it, or because he's bored, or needs something more to do, or wants to share his knowledge, whatever--that he can and would like to spend one day teaching others, peanuts or no. And you are wondering about that opinion, which you don't understand merely because--get this--it doesn't fit your own personal definition of success, your having given no other reason for wondering.

Moreover, by implication, you're expressing a sly negative opinion about that opinion. Let me spoonfeed: it's that MacWalen must not know how to make money investing in the Thai capital markets. But that's an ignorant opinion, as I said, because you don't have all the facts and because there indeed are many examples of successful investors who have taught others. And I was so very gracious as to give you a good example of exactly that. Obviously you didn't previously know of any such example and further you refuse to acknowledge any in front of your face--because it doesn't fit your personal definition even though it's not you--it's someone else's personal definition. I won't speculate further as to the reason for latter admirable characteristic, which serves to buttress my original contention.

But if you STILL can't see it, so be it. Though it may be flattering to believe that I really give a shit what you think, actually I don't. I just think it's fun, as a sport, to point out contradictions, ignorance, and blind self-serving assumptions. I love deflating balloons and also find it amusing when someone continues waving his stick w/ a deflated balloon on the end of it. tongue.png

You can establish a poll on the subject.

Hope you've enjoyed the attention. Nobody else would have bothered. Let's continue, shall we?

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Look,it's this simple,anyone who gives their money to a fool who can only win 10% of trades and loses 90% is an even bigger fool and deserves to lose their money.In any Western country there would be laws against clueless idiots thinking they can trade the markets because they've opened their very first online account.

I repeat,this guy only wants your money to trade as he knows he'll lose his own.Be smart and ask a professional,not some fool that thinks running a language school qualifies you as an investment professional!

The investments you criticise so much were bought just over a week ago so too early to judge, but your comments are typical forex/day trader who constantly must be active in the market. I can show those who participate the money school made form previous investments that were sold. I prefer to call them what they are, investments and not trades like traders like to call what they buy. You are not a friendly fellow so not sure if the recommendation to do your own school would work as people might not enjoy being insulted by you. Making lots of trades is not how you make big bucks, at least not for an individual investor. You need to be a little patient, as long as you have followed the system you should do well. Also I am not investing anybody's money neither I am asking anybody to invest in any fund. So saying I want somebody's money is a lie. What the course participants do with their money is their business and they are solely responsible for their investment decisions. I do not get them to invest in Walen fund or anything like that. It is true however that if someone liked what I teach, or others who may also teach some of the topics, they may want to join Walen School as partners and do business with us. Perhaps we are not as stupid as you consider us.

Be smart and ask a professional,not some fool that thinks running a language school qualifies you as an investment professional!

And this is where we differ big time. I teach people so they do not need to consult a "professional" who often has conflicting interests, like a broker like yourself, as they need to be trading to pay the broker's fees. You brokers do not like guys who buy or sell seldom as no money in it for you. You gave wrong advice. Try again. On this one I have to fail you. Does Warren Buffet not teach that we need to understand what we do when investing in stocks? Investment professionals do not want you to understand what is going on in the markets as they need to justify their existence and fees paid to them.

Edited by MacWalen

For those who are skeptical that they will gain anything of real value from your seminar, are you prepared to offer to subscribers a " moneyback guarantee " if they are not satisfied at the end of the seminar ?

You also said in post number 69 you would guarantee that subscribers would not lose their collateral if they followed your advice? Can you please provide more specific information as to how this guarantee would be applied?

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

I think its crazy how the people are attacking you. These are the same people that will always sit on the fence and criticize and then get jealous if someone does make it big. I think you have every right to teach whatever you like. You are obviously very successful and no one on this board can deny that. I was looking at your schools its seems you have a dozen language schools running in Thailand and around the country. I doubt anyone on this board owns any business as successful as yours. I really don’t see what all the commotion is about.

he has done well with his investments, is savvy with the ins and outs of the markets .

That in itself is a claim to a (worthy) credential, but which needs to be substantiated somehow.

The unfortunate thing about the OP is that he has seems to have a serious attitude problem, which unfortunately undermines the possible credentials he may hold.

Seriously, have we been reading the same thread? I've seen you repeat this over and over but I don't see MacWalen as coming across in that way at all (I don't know him personally). IMO he's doing a good job in the face of considerable and often venomous criticism.

... however you're coming across as a person with some kind of vendetta against him.

Just saying.

• Like 1

I think its crazy how the people are attacking you. These are the same people that will always sit on the fence and criticize and then get jealous if someone does make it big. I think you have every right to teach whatever you like. You are obviously very successful and no one on this board can deny that. I was looking at your schools its seems you have a dozen language schools running in Thailand and around the country. I doubt anyone on this board owns any business as successful as yours. I really don’t see what all the commotion is about.

If you think your life can be turned around in a few hours of one day.......well, for one thing, anyone that can do that probably would not be in LOS but picked up by a multi national on huge salary. Nobody is questioning the OP's language business in LOS, it's just this money making sideline is, well just is a sideline. IF guarantees of success were put in writing then perhaps interest, but most know in LOS something in writing is bah.gif .

• Like 1

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

Maybe.... Those who can - do, those who can't - teach (HL Mencken)

And those that can't teach, teach Gym (Jack Black - School of Rock) :D

Motley Fool website is good for getting a basic grounding in stocks and shares (for free) http://www.fool.com/

...but for specific in SET and even just SE Asian stocks, a one day course for 3k sounds a worthwhile bet for those that need it, or even might just benefit from it.

• Like 1

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

Maybe.... Those who can - do, those who can't - teach (HL Mencken)

And those that can't teach, teach Gym (Jack Black - School of Rock) biggrin.png

Motley Fool website is good for getting a basic grounding in stocks and shares (for free) http://www.fool.com/

...but for specific in SET and even just SE Asian stocks, a one day course for 3k sounds a worthwhile bet for those that need it, or even might just benefit from it.

Yes, it makes sense that a course in understanding the intricacies of the Thai market would be important for anyone who wants to invest here, but is there any compelling reason to invest in the Thai stock market when it's just as easy to trade the big markets online?... markets for which information is more readily available and in English.

MacWalen obviously is adept at the Thai language, so he doesn't have this problem.

If you guys have any doubt that Mac Walen does not know what he is doing, then look at how many pages (12 at this point) his post has generated. All the doubters have created so much free marketing for Mac because ThaiVisa posters are so predictable. This is why it is great to be a sponsor of ThaiVisa. I actually think his class might be worth it since he knows how to control ThaiVisa posters so well. Genius! wai2.gif