Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

Time will tell. Loan would boost the economy if anything. When people want to buy they release bad news, when they want to sell they release good news. A lot of it is a game. Overall those companies will keep doing business. I own the shares, nothing is leveraged and those are good companies so I don't worry. Do you? If so thank you very much. They sky was falling many times already and we are still here.

I predict your smug attitude will be your downfall

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here u r learning Asian. You cannot invest in markets if you don't know what you are doing. I do not apologize for being confident with my investing decisions. Wait and you will learn more.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Time will tell. Loan would boost the economy if anything. When people want to buy they release bad news, when they want to sell they release good news. A lot of it is a game. Overall those companies will keep doing business. I own the shares, nothing is leveraged and those are good companies so I don't worry. Do you? If so thank you very much. They sky was falling many times already and we are still here.

I predict your smug attitude will be your downfall

I was going to post something but thought better of it. Hmmmmmmm, will PM instead later.

That is not a bad idea. There are a few here who lost money in markets so negativity abounds.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

or could it be more to do with a justified apprehension that the teacher himself confessed to losing a substantial amount of money on derivatives?

the teacher himself confessed to losing a substantial amount of money on derivatives?

That is true and I know all my mistakes and I am wiser now, but not negative or bitter. I have deserved my loses and I know how it hurts. For a small fee I will teach how not to follow my footsteps in speculation and how to invest and not speculate. I'm glad you study this thread Asian. There is a lot of investing wisdom here already.

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 2

From your posted portfolio i see you have about 90 mil baht tied up in the SET ?.. that is still fair lump of change to be tied up in stocks.

As a matter of interest, how did you fair during the 08 crash ?.... I got burned pretty bad but kept dollar cost averaging so slowly recovered but still just goes to show how you can go from hero to zero pretty fast...

In the last 3 years anyone could make money on the stockmarket, i actually proved this to myself by making a virtual portfolio on Google Finance on Apr 10 by simply picking the ticker A,B,C, through to Z on the NYSE.... it is currently up 50% and that is with 2 stocks being removed and showing 100 % loss (change of ticker or something)... its all about timing smile.png

• Like 1

As a matter of interest, how did you fair during the 08 crash ?....

... its all about timing smile.png

William, I have lost a lot of money. It was a real hit. It is very much true that it is all about timing. Interestingly enough although a lot of money was to be made after the markets started to recover so many people missed the opportunity. Markets will crash and rise till the Kingdom come so it is a good idea to learn about it. Also in that time although you say so many people could make money so many lost, going short, speculating on currencies, buying some under-performing companies etc. Knowledge is power - learn and earn!

• Like 1

As a matter of interest, how did you fair during the 08 crash ?....

... its all about timing smile.png

William, I have lost a lot of money. It was a real hit. It is very much true that it is all about timing. Interestingly enough although a lot of money was to be made after the markets started to recover so many people missed the opportunity. Markets will crash and rise till the Kingdom come so it is a good idea to learn about it. Also in that time although you say so many people could make money so many lost, going short, speculating on currencies, buying some under-performing companies etc. Knowledge is power - learn and earn!

There were also people who didn't lose so much because they cashed in on more than 3/4th of their portfolio on 20 November 2007, since they were not ignorant to the signs and alarmbells that were ringing for almost 6 months already.

Knowledge is power - but it's clear from this thread that some people never learn and still want to charge others for their unacknowledged ability.

Good try jbrain. I have made a lot of money since then. What I did at that time was wrong and I know that very well. Experiencing something like that can be a good thing. If it happened when I was 50 or 60 I would find it difficult to recover. Im 42 now, I believe I am much wiser and more experienced. If you can do a better job teaching for 2,960 Baht then get together with your students at a coffee shop and teach them your wisdom. Also there is no problem with having many good teachers. What I teach will be to their benefit. The value of the seminar is at least 5 times more than I charge.

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

I like teaching and I like the topic, but it is also some extra money so it is worth my time. I am not a billionaire.

I'd rather have the billionaire's advice lol

Good try jbrain. I have made a lot of money since then. What I did at that time was wrong and I know that very well. Experiencing something like that can be a good thing. If it happened when I was 50 or 60 I would find it difficult to recover. Im 42 now, I believe I am much wiser and more experienced. If you can do a better job teaching for 2,960 Baht then get together with your students at a coffee shop and teach them your wisdom. Also there is no problem with having many good teachers. What I teach will be to their benefit. The value of the seminar is at least 5 times more than I charge.

I'm not claiming that I'm a better teacher or more acknowledged, but I'm not ignorant to the signs and see things coming, and i would never charge anybody for a subject that is impossible to teach in between a cup of coffee and a sandwich.

Read the news forum threads, not the replies to it, or better read some Thai newspapers and you should see the alarmbells for the Thai stock market hear ringing louder with every article posted.

So in concrete words, your seminar has a value of Zero, Zilch, Nada ( last word translated for the benefit of your international interested parties).

I'm not claiming that I'm a better teacher or more acknowledged, but I'm not ignorant to the signs and see things coming, and i would never charge anybody for a subject that is impossible to teach in between a cup of coffee and a sandwich.

Read the news forum threads, not the replies to it, or better read some Thai newspapers and you should see the alarmbells for the Thai stock market hear ringing louder with every article posted.

So in concrete words, your seminar has a value of Zero, Zilch, Nada ( last word translated for the benefit of your international interested parties).

Short term all is possible sure. I will remind you of this post later. If you think the country will stop and its business I am afraid it will not happen. I am not in a hurry, are you? Financially I am retired already, I am not a big spender, so 5 years horizon is nothing. I believe everything will be ok. In December SET might be around 1600 too so not necessary collapsing like you think. Let's see what happens. And what about dividends? You think they will stop paying too?

Short term all is possible sure. I will remind you of this post later. If you think the country will stop and its business I am afraid it will not happen. I am not in a hurry, are you? Financially I am retired already, I am not a big spender, so 5 years horizon is nothing. I believe everything will be ok. In December SET might be around 1600 too so not necessary collapsing like you think. Let's see what happens. And what about dividends? You think they will stop paying too?

I'm confident that companies that go bankrupt will stop paying dividends, others that make much less profit will reduce or cancel their dividend payments for the time being.

You keep claiming this but you present no evidence to support this claim what-so-ever, how are people to take you seriously?

So far you started showing us a snapshot of your stock selection AFTER it was already in profit for a week and then after a few days of updates stopped posting when it started going down, does that look reasonable to you?

It would take me about 5 minutes to produce a statement from my broker showing the percentage performance I achieved year-to-date, last year, the year before that and so on. If as you say you know how to invest and have made money consistently not just in the past 2 weeks then why can't you show proof?

the teacher himself confessed to losing a substantial amount of money on derivatives?

That is true and I know all my mistakes and I am wiser now, but not negative or bitter. I have deserved my loses and I know how it hurts. For a small fee I will teach how not to follow my footsteps in speculation and how to invest and not speculateblink.png . I'm glad you study this thread Asian. There is a lot of investing wisdom here already.

I can't see it being anything other than speculation. You are speculating on how long governments around the world can keep injecting stimulus into the various economies

You keep claiming this but you present no evidence to support this claim what-so-ever, how are people to take you seriously?

So far you started showing us a snapshot of your stock selection AFTER it was already in profit for a week and then after a few days of updates stopped posting when it started going down, does that look reasonable to you?

It would take me about 5 minutes to produce a statement from my broker showing the percentage performance I achieved year-to-date, last year, the year before that and so on. If as you say you know how to invest and have made money consistently not just in the past 2 weeks then why can't you show proof?

So why don't you start teaching too? We need guys like you. Strangely enough a lot of people take me seriously. For you they are all fools, aren't they?

So why don't you start teaching too? We need guys like you. Strangely enough a lot of people take me seriously. For you they are all fools, aren't they?

These questions you ask me are valid but aren't really an answer to the questions in my post are they? :-)

Why I don't teach - It's a big commitment and I've never held a teaching job before so I'm not sure it's right for me. I don't overrule giving it a try in the future.

Fools - I think anyone who parts with their money without doing due diligence and knowing what they're getting for it is not acting in their own best interests. Don't you agree?

Now that I've answered your questions, how about mine? :-)

• Like 1

It is not as easy and quick as you think in Thailand, the broker I still use, but not for all my investing, does not have an easy way of checking it online so I need to make a formal request. I will show you once I get it back. Here is the document needed in order to do it.

I think you are smart, you should share some of your knowledge. I am sure there would be clients. Interestingly enough I have to pay for it. if less than a year 200 baht per transaction. Actually not sure if I should do that considering that it is not very much likely to change your attitude. Also it is not 5 min. like your broker but in case of this one it would be within 7 days. A bit of a surprise, isn't it?

Data Request.pdf

Edited by MacWalen

It is not as easy and quick as you think in Thailand, the broker I still use, but not for all my investing, does not have an easy way of checking it online so I need to make a formal request. I will show you once I get it back. Here is the document needed in order to do it.

I think you are smart, you should share some of your knowledge. I am sure there would be clients. Interestingly enough I have to pay for it. if less than a year 200 baht per transaction. Actually not sure if I should do that considering that it is not very much likely to change your attitude.

Yes I am sure it's not as easy to produce these statements here as with a US based broker. But I'm sure it can be done. I see you already have the form, do you need assistance with the 200 Baht? ;-)

Thanks for the compliment. Teaching what I do is a full on course, I'm not sure there are enough clients interested in putting in the time and effort (and cost..) but I could be wrong and there might be potential there. I haven't given this much thought.

Presenting evidence to support your claims and offerings to prospective clients isn't so much for someone's attitude but as a proper business practice. You're an astute businessman, would you pay for ads on a website which can't show you any traffic data?

As you've already seen there are enough people who will cling and buy into any hope of making "easy" money whether you show them proof or not but having it will give you a lot more credibility. I don't think that money is all you care about at this point right? And of course if you have a decent performance I'm sure you'll get more participants, maybe even me included.

Yes I am sure it's not as easy to produce these statements here as with a US based broker. But I'm sure it can be done. I see you already have the form, do you need assistance with the 200 Baht? ;-)

Per transaction. Can you read? Yes, I will take your offer. You pay for it, we can even do more than a year. There were perhaps about 20 transactions, cannot remember exactly. 4,000 Baht is ok, what is over I will pay to satisfy your request.

Per transaction. Can you read? Yes, I will take your offer. You pay for it, we can even do more than a year. There were perhaps about 20 transactions, cannot remember exactly. 4,000 Baht is ok, what is over I will pay to satisfy your request.

My mistake. Yes I can read but obviously not very good.

So a few thousand Baht huh, meaning if 2 more are convinced to attend because there's finally proof that you can walk the talk then you've covered this expense. That's not bad, wouldn't you say?

Sure I can pay the 4K, and in return for investing in your seminar business and paying some of your business costs do I get a share of the profits partner? :-)

There were also people who didn't lose so much because they cashed in on more than 3/4th of their portfolio on 20 November 2007, since they were not ignorant to the signs and alarmbells that were ringing for almost 6 months already.

Ah, well. There's always an alarm bell ringing somewhere, you see, just as it's always 5 o'clock somewhere. Many an astute, experienced investor just rode it out like any other drop and picked up bargains on the way down. Others missed the All Clear signal and missed the uptrend whereas those who held their shares profited much more. It all just depends; it seems you don't realize the complexities.

If you're a pussy and need all your cash on hand at all times, you can't be an investor. Very, very few can consistently time the market.

Warren Buffet, now, is one of your ignoramuses.

Berkshire shares lost almost half their peak value - and have since recovered to be about 25% down on their 2008 peak.

At this year's annual shareholder meeting in Omaha, 35,000 shareholders turned up to hear Mr Buffett's take on things.

It looked as if his years of patient training had paid off. He was still smiling, and telling people that the carnage in the markets was just what you should expect once in a while.

"If you take the couple of centuries we've had, the 19th and the 20th, we've had about 15 bad years in both centuries," he told shareholders, "and we'll have fifteen bad years in centuries to come.

"Capitalism overshoots, and market people do get irrationally exuberant sometimes, but that's the nature of it. You want a dynamic system, and you want a market system that's free to make mistakes to some degree."

--http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8317072.stm

Buffet likes alarm bells.

Knowledge is power - but it's clear from this thread that some people never learn and still want to charge others for their unacknowledged ability.

But then some people just must know a bit more than others about investing in Thai shares and are willing to give those who know nothing a brief how-to for what KittenKong calls "peanuts." Nor should they be expected to do so for free as our Cheap Charlies here would love.This in the absence of our numerous forum guru investors offering their own seminars. (We've heard the Chicken Little drumbeats continuously, nothing more need be said.) Thereafter the newbies can do more research and get their feet wet if they wish. Every investor has to start somewhere.

Protecting fools, or anyone, from all risks is not being promised, so far as I see. Nobody has suggested investing all of one's life savings. No one has suggested cashing in at the bottom of the market and so realizing a loss. Nobody has suggested any get-rich-quick scheme.

Sigh. SO much paranoia and nonsense in this thread.

Others missed the All Clear signal and missed the uptrend whereas those who held their shares profited much more. It all just depends; it seems you don't realize the complexities.

Warren Buffet, now, is one of your ignoramuses.

Berkshire shares lost almost half their peak value - and have since recovered to be about 25% down on their 2008 peak.

So Buffet was one of those who held to their shares, yet he must then be the only one who didn't profit the most, as he still has a loss of 25%

You are magnificently contradicting yourself in a single post .clap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by jbrain