Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

There were also people who didn't lose so much because they cashed in on more than 3/4th of their portfolio on 20 November 2007, since they were not ignorant to the signs and alarmbells that were ringing for almost 6 months already.

Others missed the All Clear signal and missed the uptrend whereas those who held their shares profited much more. It all just depends; it seems you don't realize the complexities.

Warren Buffet, now, is one of your ignoramuses.

Berkshire shares lost almost half their peak value - and have since recovered to be about 25% down on their 2008 peak.

So Buffet was one of those who held to their shares, yet he must then be the only one who didn't profit the most, as he still has a loss of 25%

You are magnificently contradicting yourself in a single post .clap2.gifclap2.gif

I looked up Berkshire myself and noticed that they are not down on their 2008 value as you announce in your post, but rather up from it as expected.

Now I think you can not compare any investor with Buffet, a man who in the height of the 2008 crisis was able to buy 5 Billion US$ of Goldman warrants and impose his own conditions.

• Like 1

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were also people who didn't lose so much because they cashed in on more than 3/4th of their portfolio on 20 November 2007, since they were not ignorant to the signs and alarmbells that were ringing for almost 6 months already.

Others missed the All Clear signal and missed the uptrend whereas those who held their shares profited much more. It all just depends; it seems you don't realize the complexities.

Warren Buffet, now, is one of your ignoramuses.

Berkshire shares lost almost half their peak value - and have since recovered to be about 25% down on their 2008 peak.

So Buffet was one of those who held to their shares, yet he must then be the only one who didn't profit the most, as he still has a loss of 25%

You are magnificently contradicting yourself in a single post .clap2.gifclap2.gif

Oh, how you wish.

But not time to break out the champagne for yourself quite yet. The article is from 2009. You didn't bother to read it of course.

Nor does the article say that he has a loss. It says Berkshire shares lost value. Very, very different--a point lost on many an old noggin here.

I'll bow out now--you're not competent to discuss this at all, as I knew already, but thought I'd enjoy injecting a little note of reality into all the cozy self-satisfaction.

:)

BTW, weren't you sounding the alarm bell on Big C's retail operation a couple years ago, 'cause you went in one night and didn't see it packed with customers? When's it going to collapse?

I'll bow out now--you're not competent to discuss this at all, as I knew already, but thought I'd enjoy injecting a little note of reality into all the cozy self-satisfaction.

smile.png

I would rather lay the incompetency to discuss this with someone who feels the need to repeatedly compares Buffet with the modal investor .

Myself I am a trader have lost/won money in the markets, now steadily being consistently profitable, however I trade the indices, FX and stocks, mainly indices and fx though which is very stressfull for mind and body.

IMO what Mac is offering here is not a bad deal for..... and I stress "for" people interested in it, Mac has a longer term investors approach which is less stressfull then what I am doing, I made up my mind when he does a course here in the South I will be there, even though that I have done courses, and still learning about the markets, why ? Markets always change and you can always learn more about them.

I do not really think it is fair to diss him, ask questions sure, why not, but there is absolutely no need to for inappropriate remarks.........or for those who like to be negative about it all, where are your success stories ?

• Like 1

OK, so what is that something?

You mentioned that you wanted to be a partner. I would be happy to offer 10-30% commission on the ones who signed up through you. I have a system that keeps precise track all the commissions. Others can become our partners too if they wish depending on whether they like the training or not, but I am confident they will. It can become quite big over a period of time. How much would you charge for one hour of teaching? You could make extra money this way also. Of course I would have to check first if your approach is that of an investor or a trader and what is your investment record. I am not interested in traders as sooner or later most lose money.

Like the bar owner who had 4 partners who each owned 50% of the bar biggrin.png

That is very funny but not the case with my partners. If they make an effort they will get 10-30% off all the business they help to create. I take care of all the bills, rents and whatever other expenses.

I think he might have learned the rule, its better to use someone elses money rather than your own.

No, again a miss. I don't need anybody else's money to invest into my business. Just need someones effort in promoting it, the same way as I promote it despite hostility from so many posters.

• Like 1

Myself I am a trader have lost/won money in the markets, now steadily being consistently profitable, however I trade the indices, FX and stocks, mainly indices and fx though which is very stressfull for mind and body.

IMO what Mac is offering here is not a bad deal for..... and I stress "for" people interested in it, Mac has a longer term investors approach which is less stressfull then what I am doing, I made up my mind when he does a course here in the South I will be there, even though that I have done courses, and still learning about the markets, why ? Markets always change and you can always learn more about them.

I do not really think it is fair to diss him, ask questions sure, why not, but there is absolutely no need to for inappropriate remarks.........or for those who like to be negative about it all, where are your success stories ?

Great to hear it. I am working also on getting more people interested in investing in the south.

OK, so what is that something?

You mentioned that you wanted to be a partner. I would be happy to offer 10-30% commission on the ones who signed up through you. I have a system that keeps precise track all the commissions. Others can become our partners too if they wish depending on whether they like the training or not, but I am confident they will. It can become quite big over a period of time. How much would you charge for one hour of teaching? You could make extra money this way also. Of course I would have to check first if your approach is that of an investor or a trader and what is your investment record. I am not interested in traders as sooner or later most lose money.

Ah well, I'm not interested in doing marketing for other's businesses regardless of the commission.

What?? You want to check my track record? How preposterous, what kind of attitude is that? Oh well, can I send you my returns for the past 2 weeks? :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist, the irony was just too much.

As I said I am a trader. I've been doing double digit returns for each of the past 7 years, using the same methodology. Open up a chart of the S&P500 for the past 7 years and check out the variety of market environments this period covers. You might not want to hold your breath waiting for me to lose my money.

The fact you don't know successful traders doesn't mean they don't exist, just that you don't hang out with people from this circle. I can assure you I'm not that unique.

If you ever get interested in doing something serious in the trading realm drop me a msg and we'll see.

Edited by rambling

If you ever get interested in doing something serious in the trading realm drop me a msg and we'll see.

Thank you for the offer. I am not interested in trading. I will stick to investing. This is where the money is. You are unique, so many lose trading but you win all the time. I believe what you say is true although it is hard to believe.

Edited by MacWalen

MacWalen maybe your earlier experience with derivatives when you said you lost money has put you off that aspect of the financial market?

But if not, and you are advocating a “ buy and hold “ strategy, what is your opinion of writing call options backed by the shares that you are holding? If the shares go up in value and the options are exercised, it doesn't really matter because you would be holding the shares in any case and you could always buy them back again at a later time?

Midas. If you understand options and want to do it do it. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm just curious why you say you don't recommend it? I'm only talking about doing it where you hold the actual shares. I'm not talking about writing a naked call option which I certainly wouldn't recommend.

In 2003 I made an extra $100,000 by selling a call option backed by News Corp shares that I owned (while they were still listed on the ASX before they were listed on the New York Stock Exchange).

When the option ran out I still had the shares to sell but even if they had gone up and I had been exercised I had nothing to lose other than the shares themselves which I could have bought back easily later on?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with options or any other financial instruments if you know how to work with them. Have a good look at the SET, also due for deeper correction...... time will tell. It is not only long term investing that makes money Mac....... Not too mention political instaibility that is building up more and more in Thailand which will hurt the SET.

Edited by likewise

Nothing wrong with options or any other financial instruments if you know how to work with them. Have a good look at the SET, also due for deeper correction...... time will tell. It is not only long term investing that makes money Mac....... Not too mention political instaibility that is building up more and more in Thailand which will hurt the SET.

Yes indeed. thumbsup.gif

In fact I already assumed that this was part of the”learn how to make money and have a better life “ strategy? If not, you are missing out on potential extra income?blink.png

I would also be curious as what circumstances actually led to MacWalen losing all that money on derivatives. If he was simply buying and selling the options themselves (as opposed to writing them, which is a far better way of making money with them because time erosion is on your side instead of being you enemy ) then most people make the mistake of not cutting their losses quickly enough if the market turns. Most people hang on, hoping it's going to come back when of course then the value of the options themselves start eroding very quickly. Instead of having the discipline to sell quickly and go back in for another day.

• Like 1

I would rather lay the incompetency to discuss this with someone who feels the need to repeatedly compares Buffet with the modal investor .

jbrain, Buffet is a wonderful source of investing knowledge. Hope you are not questioning it.

No I don't, but comparing Buffet with the average investor is just madness.

Berkshire shares indeed did recovered quickly after the 2008 correction, while he had been holding on to his portfolio, but the reason wasn't because the prices of the shares he had held on to improved that fast.

The only reason was because he still had some loose change 5 BILLION US$ laying around whith which he bailed out Goldman Sachs and imposed his own conditions on the deal, to which Goldman had to agree or go under.

I don't find the figures right now, but wasn't it so that he made 9000 US$ A MINUTE, regardless of the fact if Goldman's share price went up or down.

Which other investor has that ability ?

So telling people, look what Buffet did and insinuating that the average investor has the same possibility's , clearly shows of incompetence in carrying on a reasonable discussion.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned you can all go short and trade whatever you like. If you want to how to make money from investing and gave a peace of mind let me know. Your money in your money. Use it as you see it fit. Oh..., forgot, make sure you use maximum leverage so you have more fun.

As far as I'm concerned you can all go short and trade whatever you like. If you want to how to make money from investing and gave a peace of mind let me know. Your money in your money. Use it as you see it fit. Oh..., forgot, make sure you use maximum leverage so you have more fun.

Agreed, we can all go short, but that's gambling instead of investing since you can lose it all at one point, and that is also not the way Buffet made his gains shortly after the 2008 crisis.

He bailed out a major bank and just made up the rules for his compensation there and then , and that is how his portfolio made his gains, and that is actually how he always makes his profits. By imposing the rules for his investments.

Do you personally know any investors that are capable of that ?

Let me tell you, i once owned Olivatti shares, now telecom Italia, and my holdings had multiplied tenfold. Then during a weekend when all markets were closed the company was sold to Pirelli and the share price tumbled 20% on Monday.

You think anything like that could ever happen to Buffet ?

Edited by jbrain

Regarding "once" stories. Once my mother was investing 500 baht a month with a building society. After 20 years she gave me a one bedroom flat I own till today. Glad she did not go short on them.

about the leverage, if you've been in the industry u know very well not to over leverage so that is just a silly remark, regarding short selling....... there is such a thing a stop loss you know ?

Short selling is just a way to make money on stocks/cfd's.... that are in a down trend or used as hedge.

Look Mac, I admit I have lost money in the beginning, no not any more though my hedged portfolio is doing ok, why...... because as I said I am not really a daytrader unless the opportunities are there, mostly now I trade on a 1 - 3 month time horizon, all depending on market conditions.

And only buying and holding.......hmmm works for a while, till there is a serious correction or worse the entering of a bear market.

As I mentioned before your course will be great for the absolute beginner, but there is also no need for you to start making shitty remarks using leveraging because maybe it didn't work out for you! There many instruments to trade, leveraged or not.

But to each his own you stick to long term investment and personally I tend to do both, but not in the Thai SET !

Anyway as you said, same goodluck mate and I hope you got your stoplosses in place when the SET crashes which will happen, sooner then later, and then I'm not even talking about the world economy but just about political instability in the country. Foreign investors pull out for reasons like that, what happens guess you've seen it, SET goes down.

Cheers,

Bye

Regarding "once" stories. Once my mother was investing 500 baht a month with a building society. After 20 years she gave me a one bedroom flat I own till today. Glad she did not go short on them.

Now you show your ignorance again,because that "once" story of mine happens almost every day .

Remember Cyprus, where the banks were closed for some time to prevent the average account holder to withdraw his money before they could confiscate it, while the big boys were able to withdraw.

Look how many class action suits are started almost everyday, because a company treated it's shareholders unfair. The average shareholder that is.

Look at how Jp Morgan and alike made multi billions of profits for their preferred shareholders, by betting against the products they sold to the average investor.

Edited by jbrain