Two Resign Over Marking Scandal

george

Two resign over marking scandal

BANGKOK: -- The two top officials at the National Institute of Educational Testing said today they will resign to take responsibility for a massive computer mixup that has left students in the dark about their future in university.

Khunying Sumonta Promboon, chief of the committee of the NIET, and acting director Prathep Chankong, both said they would quit to show their responsibility over the scandal of the O-Net and A-Net testing.

Khunying Sumonta said that she will be responsible for this issue by resigning from her position.

Mr Prathep has refused to join in the selection of the new NIET Director because he would like to show his responsibility for all the faults. He said that after all problems have been solved, he will resign as well. He will hand in his resignation letter to Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang this afternoon.

--Bangkok Post 2006-04-17

Totally incompetent. Last year it was leaking test papers, this year test marking. Technology mishap reminds of duplicating of thousands of supposed to be "smart" cards that didn't pass techinical tests to begin with.

Thai governement and technology - hopeless. Subservient morons and retards in charge of the future. What to expect if the first IT minister was an alternative medicine doctor, and the next was Education Ministry reject who reportedly only new how to turn computers off safely.

Is there any bright side?

It's difficult to understand how regularly and consistently these ministries and departments can screw things up.

This type of incompetence only fuels corruption. Given that you can't trust the gov't to get anything done right, your best bet is to make sure you grease some palms to expedite what you want.

The new computer programs developed for scoring the troubled O-NET and A-NET exams will be put to use today

The Commission on Higher Education believes that the usage of the newly-developed computer programs for use in scoring exams result would yield efficiency and be free of mistakes.

Professor Dr. Phawit Thongroet (ภาวิช ทองโรจน์), the Secretary-General of the commission, said that the programs newly developed by his agency would today (April 17) be used to score the multiple-choice sections in all of the troubled exams of the O-NET and A-NET. He is confident the programs are efficient and would not be mistake-prone. It would also be able to accommodate "non-standard" answers.

As for the written portion of the exams, checking will be conducted to see whether the scoring pattern correlated with the answers. It is currently found that the subject in most questions in the exams is Thai language.

However, the Commission for Higher Education will not inspect any other aspects of the written part, as this would be the task of the National Institute of Educational Testing Service.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 April 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Education minister says 3rd round of O-NET & A-NET score announcement may not cover 100% of test-takers

Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง) admits that the 3rd round of announcing the O-NET and A-NET test results may not cover 100% of test-takers, as some students have incorrectly filled in their information to the point that it was difficult to help. In the meantime the Commission on Higher Education has prepared many channels in announcing the test results for students nationwide.

Education Minister Chaturon he has been accelerating the checking process of the O-NET and A-NET exams in order to yield the results in time. Presently, the work involves exchange of necessary information and test results between the National Institute of Education Testing Service and the Higher Education Commission. Should additional manpower be required, then more personnel would be gathered from the Higher Education Commission and various universities.

As for the 3rd round of results announcement on April 30th, the Education Minister said there is possibility the announcement would go ahead without waiting for all results to come out, as there is a segment that involved mistakes so great it was hard to provide assistance. He cited examples comprising mistakes in information filling, changing the examination site, and those who did not attend the examination themselves.

As for Mr.Chaturon’s view on the admission system, he said after this year's application, ideas and opinions would be gathered and discussion would be made on the matter, but this would have to wait for the new education minister to commence.

Mr. Phawit Thongroet (ภาวิช ทองโรจน์), the Secretary-General of the Commission on Higher Education, said work is underway in seeking as many channels as possible for the announcement of O-NET and A-NET results. These would include the commission's website, various universities, and the phone number 0-2576-5555. Scores may also be viewed at the 10 admission application centers in the provinces and the 3 centers in Bangkok (Chulalongkorn University, Kasetsart University and King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 April 2006

• 3 weeks later...

Commission on Higher Education will officially announce the result of O-NET and A-NET this afternoon

The Commission on Higher Education will officially announce the result of O-NET and A-NET examinations this afternoon

The Secretary-General of the Higher Education Commission, Professor Dr. Phawit Thongroet (ภาวิช ทองโรจน์), insisted that the O-NET and A-NET results will be announced at 16:00 hours today.

He has confirmed that mistakes will not take place again. He added that the Admission result will be announced on May 18th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 May 2006

As a former English & Maths teacher at a Thai government school, I was asked by Thai department heads, to make my semester examinations 'multiple choice'. I was not given a reason for this request. Nonetheless, I refused to conform to the suggestion & issued ALL of my Maths & English students with 'real' examinations, which took me days to mark but I was happy to do this.

The outcome was horrific. A massive 70% (approx) of students failed English & about 50% (approx) failed Maths. The Thai teachers were not happy with me. By the way, the tests I issued were over simplified because I knew that the outcome would not be as good compared to that of multiple choice tests, although I didn't think it would be this bad.

Later, I found out the reason for the 'multiple choice' request. Basically, the Thai teachers couldn't be bothered to spend the time to mark tests of a non multiple choice nature.

So I guess this is a 'two fold' problem...Thai teachers that are too lazy to mark 'real' examinations & erroneous computer marking.

Of course, the victims of this debacle, are the students.

Edited by elkangorito

Admissions system unveils first list

Of the 44,000 students who applied for university placement through the direct university admissions system, part of the new university admission system introduced this year, 8,000 learned yesterday that they were successful.

“The results today are just the first list. The next list on May 24 will be the second – the major – announcement regarding the total of 100,000 students who applied through the central university admission system,” Commission for Higher Education (CHE)’s secretary-general, Dr Pavich Tongroach, said yesterday.

Dr Pavich said that yesterday’s announcement named the 8,000 candidates who were successful in getting places in 10 universities, while the applications of the remaining 36,000 were turned down.

Most of the 44,000 applicants using the direct admission system completed their secondary education last year, while 2,500 passed before 2005, he said.

About 10,000 students who finished their secondary education before 2005 applied to enter university this year nationwide.

The first batch of results was released amid ongoing problems with the new admissions system. This year, students are required to use their Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET) and Advanced National Educational Test (A-NET) scores as well as their cumulative grade point averages when applying to enter university.

Many students and parents complained about the mistakes in the O-NET and A-NET marking system, which is managed by CHE and the National Institute of Education Testing Service (NIETS). CHE and NIETs were compelled to address the errors. The release of the scores was delayed several times as new glitches and flaw continued to surface.

On Monday, Kamolpan Cheewapansri, coordinator of the Parent Youth Network for Educational Reform (PYNER), submitted a letter of complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman, demanding the cancelation of the new university admissions system.

Dr Pavich said yesterday that CHE is not worried about PYNER’s complaint. “We have done our best to make the new [university] admissions system work properly. What else can we do? If this system is canceled, the effects will be disastrous, especially to students and parents,” he said.

He insisted that most students no longer have any problems with their O-NET and A-NET marks, adding that, if the new system is scrapped, it will take at least three or four months to restart the admissions process.

“PYNER must take full responsibility for any trouble if an order canceling this system is issued. But I don’t think any organization has the authority to give such an order,” he said.

Source: ThaiDay - 17 May 2006

elkkangorita--the use of multiple choice doesn't necessarily have to do with laziness. The important part of a test is the way it is designed and it's accuracy. A test can be made either too easy or too hard, just as it can be made too long or too short. If you use multiple choice, then one answer has to be a probable answer students will come up with based on a common error in calculation.

There is no particular need for teachers to spend many long hours correcting tests, when the time can be put into the design of a test that accurately predicts what students have learned.

For myself, if I have a high failure rate, that is a greater reflection on what I taught (or didn't teach) than on the test--and I use the information to help me in the future.

As for the this national test. It is unbelievable (and should be criminal) that they could screw things up as much as they have.

I'm new to this issue about the ONet and ANet exam scandal, so please bear with me.

1. Did the graduating secondary students (M6) and older students take these new tests, in order to be considered for admission to all universities in Thailand?

2. Were these tests necessary for almost all entering uni students?

3. When were the tests adminstered, and when should the universities have decided on the admissions?

4. If the tests are finally ruled invalid - or if a very substantial cloud still hands over the tests themselves - how do the unis decide whom to admit?

5. If these tests were written and developed by the best experts available in Thailand, what does that tell us about the present state of absolute incompetence in the upper levels of the MoE, the agency which spent about 6 years reorganizing itself before trying to reorganize education itself?

6. I examined the entrance exam for English two years in a row, up in northern Thailand. That exam was one of the best I'd seen here, out of an otherwise unacceptable group of tests. Thai educators don't seem to know the first thing about testing. The tests themselves are meaningless, they are improperly administered, and from what I saw, nobody properly monitors the result gathering, and there is no method of appealing an incorrect grading of an exam. But we all know that in over 90% of the time, the entire GRADE/MARKING and TESTING system is a joke, meaningless.

That's my arrogant opinion, based on actual experience in Thailand. :o Then again, read my signature:

Hi guys,

My comments in blue.

elkkangorita--the use of multiple choice doesn't necessarily have to do with laziness. I agree. The important part of a test is the way it is designed and it's accuracy. How many 'Thai designed' tests have you seen? A test can be made either too easy or too hard, just as it can be made too long or too short. If you use multiple choice, then one answer has to be a probable answer students will come up with based on a common error in calculation. Have you ever taken a multiple choice questionaire, of which you 'randomly ticked boxes' & had an amazing result? I have! Multiple choice tests are expedient & also very questionable.

There is no particular need for teachers to spend many long hours correcting tests, when the time can be put into the design of a test that accurately predicts what students have learned. I have not met one Thai teacher who actually bothered to 'think' about the quality of the test. The Thai teachers, whom I've known, have taken their questions from foreign literature because they did not understand the subject well enough. Again, most Thai teachers I know, placed the emphasis upon 'easy marking'. Sonuk & Plern don't you know!

For myself, if I have a high failure rate, that is a greater reflection on what I taught (or didn't teach) than on the test--and I use the information to help me in the future. Initially, I too had a high failure rate but I persisted with 'real' examinations & not multiple choice. Also, I did not adopt a 'textbook' approach to teaching. The results, after putting up with months of criticism from Thai teachers, was amazing. My method was starting to have results...BIG results. Of course, the Thai grading system does not help my cause. I will re-commence teaching at my old school in Bangkok, in August. Already the Thai teachers are keen to have me back. With determination & patience, I have proven that the 'hard way' works. They seem to understand this now.

As for the this national test. It is unbelievable (and should be criminal) that they could screw things up as much as they have.

I'm new to this issue about the ONet and ANet exam scandal, so please bear with me.

1. Did the graduating secondary students (M6) and older students take these new tests, in order to be considered for admission to all universities in Thailand?

2. Were these tests necessary for almost all entering uni students?

3. When were the tests adminstered, and when should the universities have decided on the admissions?

4. If the tests are finally ruled invalid - or if a very substantial cloud still hands over the tests themselves - how do the unis decide whom to admit?

As for items 1, 2, 3 & 4, it was suggested to me that I 'go easy' on some M6 classes. This is clearly fraudulent but I did not say this to the Thai teachers who suggested this. Instead, I stood my ground & made them work VERY hard. Those who worked hard were rewarded with a good test result.

5. If these tests were written and developed by the best experts available in Thailand, what does that tell us about the present state of absolute incompetence in the upper levels of the MoE, the agency which spent about 6 years reorganizing itself before trying to reorganize education itself?

Rigging universtiy entrance exams has been going on for ages to avoid loss of face for the student & teacher.

6. I examined the entrance exam for English two years in a row, up in northern Thailand. That exam was one of the best I'd seen here, out of an otherwise unacceptable group of tests. Thai educators don't seem to know the first thing about testing. The tests themselves are meaningless, they are improperly administered, and from what I saw, nobody properly monitors the result gathering, and there is no method of appealing an incorrect grading of an exam. But we all know that in over 90% of the time, the entire GRADE/MARKING and TESTING system is a joke, meaningless.

That's my arrogant opinion, based on actual experience in Thailand. :o Then again, read my signature:

Further, I added an examination 'rule' sheet to all of my students examinations, which clearly explained what 'rights' of appeal they had, & what could & couldn't be done during the examination. I issued this sheet at least one week prior to the examination. I also had the Thai teacher fully translate the sheet so that there was little hope of misunderstanding. Further, I conducted a 'trial' examination that operated under the conditions of the examination rules. ALL of my Thai teachers had never seen this done before & they fully endorsed it.

With a bit of gentle persuasion, education may change in Thailand.

Edited by elkangorito

There was a poll conducted recently comparing Thai student's knowledge with neighbour countries and in most catagories Thai students scores were lower than all the countries surveyed.

Since students will become adults in the future, what do we have to look forward to here in Thailand ? The educational system here needs a serious overhaul. :o

There was a poll conducted recently comparing Thai student's knowledge with neighbour countries and in most catagories Thai students scores were lower than all the countries surveyed.

Since students will become adults in the future, what do we have to look forward to here in Thailand ? The educational system here needs a serious overhaul. :o

There is another large western country that has the same situation as Thailand (this western country has not yet recognised this lack of wordly knowledge as a problem).

First letter is U...last letter is A...one letter missing. No coaching from the audience please.

Nonetheless, the education standards in this western country are somewhat better than the Thai educational standards.

Edited by elkangorito

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Chaturon called a meeting to discuss the O/A-NET test results and admission system

Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง) called a meeting with the executives from universities to conclude the problems of O-NET and A-NET test results and admission system.

The meeting will be chaired by the Permanent Secretary to the Education Ministry, Khunying Kasama Worawan Na Ayudhaya (กษมา วรวรรณ ณ อยุธยา), the Secretary-General of the Higher Education Commission, Professor Dr. Phawit Thongroet (ภาวิช ทองโรจน์), the Chief of the NIET Committee, Khunying Sumonta Promboon (สุมณฑา พรหมบุญ), and representatives from different universities. The meeting will concern about the cause of the inaccuracies in the test results and the admission system.

Besides, Mr. Chaturon will inform the conclusion of the errors following the conclusion of this meeting.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 June 2006

One thing that also did not help was the fact that numerous exams had no student names on them... :o Sure you can blame the students under stress for the exam but who the heck were they handing these exams to once completed?

These two that resigned should be considered for the next Election Comittee, they may screw up but won't hang on afterwards. :D

Proof that too many here have been nominated to positions not for what they know but who they know.

Circus clowns and lemmings.