Honorary Consulate Portland

I've been trying to get ahold of the Honorary Consulate in Portland for 3 days now. Tried telephone and email - several times. The telephone message box is full.

The website AND the phone message say they would be closed from August 5 - 18, re-opening on the 19th. Anyone else having trouble contacting them?

I've received two emails from Mary in the last 2 days. I'm sure that they are backed up having been closed for 2 weeks. They were sent at night, not during normal working hours.

One of the emails confirmed that they have been "advised" by MFA to not issue visas by mail any more. She said to contact her by phone, not email regarding this issue.

Edited by wayned

Wow, no visas by mail? A big hassle for those that don't live in the city and that small office and 3 hr a day being open is going to make for an impossible situation for those that do make the journey. Are not most of the workers there volunteers?.

No volunteers.

Honorary consulates are in most cases located at a business of some kind. Staff have dual duties for business side as well as consulate.

For example the Houston consulate is part of a large law firm.

I've received two emails from Mary in the last 2 days. I'm sure that they are backed up having been closed for 2 weeks. They were sent at night, not during normal working hours.

One of the emails confirmed that they have been "advised" by MFA to not issue visas by mail any more. She said to contact her by phone, not email regarding this issue.

Well, I've emailed twice and called numerous times. The message box is full so I can't even leave a message. Something is odd because everyone raves about the service there but I can't even get a hold of anyone.They've been back for 10 days now, you'd think they'd have cleared the backlog. It's interesting that you have received 2 emails however.

No visa's by mail is sure going to hurt the Honorary Consulate business. I'm sure 90% of the applications are by mail.

Are you calling at correct time of day. It is 14 hours earlier there than Thailand.

Yes, I'm in Los Angeles.

I was hoping for a triple entry tourist or a Non Imm O multiple entry based on owning a condo....

Can't get either of those at Los Angeles consulate.

Something is up with the Portland Consulate and although I suspect it has to do with the new regulations, I was hoping someone had more information.

You won't get a multiple entry Non-O based on owning a condo, but a triple TV is possible. Keep calling Mary and see what she recommends.

I think Mary would say "What the hell are calling me for"?

He's in Los Angeles for heavens sake.

Edited by kennedy

You won't get a multiple entry Non-O based on owning a condo, but a triple TV is possible. Keep calling Mary and see what she recommends.

The website of the Portland Consulate lists "condo ownership" as a basis for requesting a Non Imm O visa. That's why I was calling.

And yes, I have called from 9am to 11:30am as per their hours of operation.

After 3 days of futile attempts I have given up and am requesting a double entry tourist from the Los Angeles consulate.

But again... everyone comments on how helpful the Portland office is, so I suspect something is amiss...

Something is odd because everyone raves about the service there but I can't even get a hold of anyone.They've been back for 10 days now, you'd think they'd have cleared the backlog.

Lemme see. They went on vacation for two weeks, and when they returned, they found an MFA edict saying 'no more visas by mail.' Hmmmm. That might wreck your whole day, especially with an in-box full of two-week old visa applications. Can't imagine why they're not answering *all* their emails and phone calls.......

Would be nice to see what that edict says. That Portland was allowed to process at least one tourist visa says there was some wiggle room -- but was that up front, or after some push back against MFA? You know that the honoraries surely offered some push back, especially if the edict said "as of now." And, maybe Portland was given some latitude to process pending tourist visas -- but maybe not Non Imm visas (?).

Great Britain was the first to see honoraries told not to issue visas by mail. Hull's response was to forward applications they received onward to the Thai Embassy London. And, it sounds like this is still the current policy with Hull. Will honoraries in the States now forward on to Washington (or LA, Chicago, NY) all applications they receive for visas? Hmmmm. That sure could add a few weeks to your turn around time -- especially as the MFA consulates will be having their workload probably quadruple with their new policy vis-a-vis the honoraries.

Wow, no visas by mail? A big hassle for those that don't live in the city and that small office and 3 hr a day being open is going to make for an impossible situation for those that do make the journey.

Not really. Instead of mailing your application to your honorary of choice, you'll now need to mail it to Washington, or to your geographical consulate (LA, Chi, NY). The biggest change with this will be, besides a longer turnaround time, more stringent criteria for each consulate. For example, DC only issues tourist visas for 3 months duration, even tho' they will issue three entries (and the third entry is virtually worthless with a visa validity of 3 months). LA advertises both 3 month and 6 month durations (on different pages of their website). Not exactly sure which is correct...... And someone reported that, in either case, they'll only issue two entries. Chicago's website also suggests only two tourist entries -- but for a duration of 6 months. Gone will be the more relaxed Portland version for tourist visas, including no need to show itineraries/tickets or financials. Also, no more Non Imm O visas by showing financial and age proof -- the MFA consulates won't issue Non Imm O visas for retirement eligibles -- only Non Imm O-A visas (although, it's become easier of late to get these, as they've relaxed the notorary requirements, at least in DC).

Anyway, will be interesting to see if long turnaround times for visas causes a re-think.......

Edited by JimGant