Kratom may be taken off narcotics list in Thailand

webfact

Kratom may be taken off narcotics list
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

30213650-01_big.JPG

Justice minister pushes for legalisation of the herb, citing medicinal properties

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) is responding positively to the proposed legalisation of kratom (Mitragyna speciosa), which is currently on the narcotics list.

The ONCB will be meeting with the Food and Drug Administration, the Public Health Ministry and the National Police Office next week to discuss whether kratom should be removed from the list.

Available records show that Thailand is the only country that describes kratom as a narcotic.

"We will listen to the opinions of all relevant parties," ONCB secretary-general Pongsapat Pongcharoen said yesterday.

Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri, who is pushing for the legalisation, said he grew up in Bangkok's Thon Buri area where kratom was grown and used, and he had never encountered anybody going into a drug-crazed stupor from its consumption.

"In fact, kratom was used as a traditional medicine in the past," he said, adding that he did not wish to promote the use of kratom, but believed it may distract people from using harmful drugs like methamphetamine or crystal-meth.

"Caffeine in coffee and energy drinks is also more addictive than kratom," he added.

Meanwhile, Dr Anek Yomchinda, chief of the Central Institute of Forensic Science, admitted that preliminary studies showed that kratom did indeed have medicinal properties.

"In New Zealand, it is a component in the production of painkillers and antibiotics," he said.

A Senate-appointed committee, tasked with studying the pros and cons of kratom use, has found that the plant contains mitragynine, which serves as an analgesic. While its pain-easing effect is about 10 times weaker than morphine, it does not have an adverse effect on the respiratory system nor does it cause nausea, the committee said. There are also no records to show that kratom consumption might be behind crimes.

The study suggests that relevant authorities decided to ban kratom in 1943 because they could not collect tax on it like they did on opium consumption.

The committee also pointed out that if kratom were to be legalised now, it could deliver economic benefits to Thailand, where it is an indigenous plant.

"It can be used in the production of several medicines, and can also cut down on Thailand's dependence on imported morphine," the panel said.

A survey shows Satun province had the highest number of kratom trees. Also, truck drivers and labourers widely consume kratom leaves because it keeps them alert. In addition, kratom is cheaper than coffee and energy drinks costing between Bt1 and Bt3 per leaf.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-29

• Like 1

Good idea , I think it will reduce the use of the harddrugs . Since the Netherlands legalized the cannabis in small amounts for personel use , there are a lot less heroin addicts .

Many people just grow there own plants on there balcony or in there garden . Never seen fights or problems where they smoke cannabis , but i seen many fights where they use alcohol .

MJ is illegal in Thailand only because of pressure from the US during the Vietnam war. It was not really illegal until 1979. Formally since 1937, but was barely enforced.

The leaves are used in Boat Noodles (kwuy thiao rua)

There is zero chance MJ will ever become legalized in Thailand. Too much money in it for the BIB and the growers/dealers.

Besides that, Malaysia would go apesh!t if they did.

• Like 1

Very difficult to buy this in my area, only 1 shop in the village allowed to sell it these days and expensive, too much tea money to pay apparently. They sold out 3 days ago and I arrived home from work to find that the 6 trees happily growing in my back yard had been hacked down and carried off! Grrr.

Good idea , I think it will reduce the use of the harddrugs . Since the Netherlands legalized the cannabis in small amounts for personel use , there are a lot less heroin addicts .

Many people just grow there own plants on there balcony or in there garden . Never seen fights or problems where they smoke cannabis , but i seen many fights where they use alcohol .

Sorry, but no. The decriminalization of cannabis is unrelated to the heroin addict population. I'm going to cite a health review board transcript from 2001 to show why;

- Hard drug users (heroin and cocaine): Thanks to a high standard of care and prevention, including the large-scale dispensation of methadone and clean hypodermics, a situation has developed in the Netherlands which is only comparable with that in a handful of other countries. The number of hard drug addicts (heroin/cocaine) stabilised roughly in 1991, at the level of 2.5 per 1000 inhabitants. The Netherlands is among the three countries with the smallest number of problem addicts in the European Union (after Finland and Germany)

Neither Germany nor Finland have the same approach as the Netherlands on cannabis. The key is in education, prevention and treatment. None of which Thailand is particularly good at. I wish the foreigners who advocate a more liberal approach on drugs in Thailand would use some common sense. In their respective countries, there are stiff penalties for impaired driving and the public is aware that one shouldn't take drugs and drive. In Thailand, there is no education, limited enforcement and a great likelihood of being hit by an impaired driver. There is no workplace safety framework that responds to impaired workers in high risk jobs. Until the mechanisms are in place to prevent drug abuse, to properly treat addicts and to prevent the misuse of drugs, the current draconian and inefficient Thai strategy of criminalization is all that Thailand has.

• Like 1

The message this article sends me is "If it's profitable to a government, then they will jump through hoops to make anything illegal then legal." Forget medicinal benefits and saving lives as that doesn't seem to concern governments.

The old story goes that Thai father in laws were happier to have their little darlings hubby be a kratom user, rather than a ganja smoker. The logic was that the kratom user was more likely to do some work, while the dope smoker was happy to laze around under the coconut tree....

Thats what I heard anyway.

• Like 1

Sorry, but no. The decriminalization of cannabis is unrelated to the heroin addict population. I'm going to cite a health review board transcript from 2001 to show why;

- Hard drug users (heroin and cocaine): Thanks to a high standard of care and prevention, including the large-scale dispensation of methadone and clean hypodermics, a situation has developed in the Netherlands which is only comparable with that in a handful of other countries. The number of hard drug addicts (heroin/cocaine) stabilised roughly in 1991, at the level of 2.5 per 1000 inhabitants. The Netherlands is among the three countries with the smallest number of problem addicts in the European Union (after Finland and Germany)

Neither Germany nor Finland have the same approach as the Netherlands on cannabis. The key is in education, prevention and treatment. None of which Thailand is particularly good at. I wish the foreigners who advocate a more liberal approach on drugs in Thailand would use some common sense. In their respective countries, there are stiff penalties for impaired driving and the public is aware that one shouldn't take drugs and drive. In Thailand, there is no education, limited enforcement and a great likelihood of being hit by an impaired driver. There is no workplace safety framework that responds to impaired workers in high risk jobs. Until the mechanisms are in place to prevent drug abuse, to properly treat addicts and to prevent the misuse of drugs, the current draconian and inefficient Thai strategy of criminalization is all that Thailand has.

I grew up in The Netherlands and did see the change , there is hardly any heroin addict anymore . Ur research combined heroin and cocaine , 2 very different substances . For example , cocaine is not fysical addictive . Cocaine is a party drug . Not comparable with heroin and cannabis .

Don't know about Finland , but Germany allows cannabis for personel use , so does belgium .

I agree with u fully that using any drug in traffic or even working with powertools or at high alltitude is not a wise thing to do .

But i prefer a slow driving cannabis smoker more then a driver that is on ice or yabaa .

• Like 1

About the only crimes ever connected with Kratom are possession or growing/distribution.

it is more like the coffee for the poor here. It keeps them going when tired or worn down.

I was having a car repair and a friendly 'Tom' girl at the store offered me a soda, some rice

and a chew of some leaf with the rice, I first thought was a food herb leaf, like holy basil,

a condiment I hadn't tried yet. A few minutes later I notices a very slight change in feelings,

and the penny dropped. I asked is this kratom, she put on a big smile.

Maybe if you processed this like coca leaves into cocaine you could make something difficult to deal with,

and it seems no one has ever done this or if they did it didn't work out.

But basically the way the locals use it, there is no logical reason to tax it or ban it. IMHO.

• Like 1

In chumpon sp. Down south I was offered it at a breakfast place by an off duty police man. It was put on the center of the table for everyone that cares to munch on it. I was with a group of Thais from Bangkok on a visit there.

I had some and noticed nil effect.

In samui and ko panghan, back in the day late ninties and fresh into this century, there bars that sold marijuana and your choice of soda. By the rocky beach. And you smoke on the premises.

No harm in a few drags on vacation.

Maybe if you processed this like coca leaves into cocaine you could make something difficult to deal with,

But basically the way the locals use it, there is no logical reason to tax it or ban it. IMHO.

You probably know what is involved to make cocaine. Some very nasty chemicals. Petrol among them.

I am not sure that is a good idea for kratom.

You probably know what is involved to make cocaine. Some very nasty chemicals. Petrol among them.

I am not sure that is a good idea for kratom.

Active ingredients in kratom are readily water soluble, not sure if all the nasty chemicals are required? Its a moot point either way as making and selling crystal kratom is in the same class as dealing coke/heroin and punishable here with the death penalty. Likely the reason why its chewed as a leaf or brewed into a tea.

Edited by jaidam
  • Like 1

Made illegal because they couldn't collect tax on it. sad.png

To be honest though this idea that drivers depend on it to keep them alert is concerning, there are far too many guys on the road here driving with some sort of stimulant in their system.

Of all the reasons to legalize it, that is not one.

So you'd prefer sleepy drivers not take anything to keep themselves more alert? Have you ever drank coffee? It's far more addictive.

Its not only about taxable drugs although thats certainly a major factor. Governments tend to promote work drugs, drugs you can drink or smoke like coffee and cigarettes which are both stimulants and make working easier / less tedious and allow you the illusion that you are having a break from work when you go outside for a cig or a coffee. Soporifics and hallucinogens that make you dreamy or make you question the whole nature of work itself are outlawed for that reason. Alcohol is a work drug in the sense you can get plastered after work and still go in for the next days work, albeit with a headache. Also alcohol abuses the body and mind so much, it subconsciously normalises the concept of your body/mind getting abused which is of course what happens at work. I don't see why any drug should be illegal at all personally, but looking at the list of currently available legal drugs and prescription drugs, it seems that they are all related to making work more bearable. Again people might say, so why don't they legalise speed since it makes you run like a mouse on a wheel, but the truth is that stuff burns you out so fast that is would affect your work rate sooner rather than later.

• 2 months later...