DSI to probe Thai citizenship, bomb-detector scams

webfact

DSI to probe citizenship, bomb-detector scams
The Nation

30213656-01_big.jpg?1377735017272

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation's Special Cases Committee yesterday resolved to take up the GT200 fake bomb-detector case as well as probe alleged corruption by officials in Chiang Mai's Mae Taeng district. In the latter case, officials are accused of illegitimately granting Thai nationality to some 850 immigrants whose Thai status had been revoked.

Deputy Prime Minister |Pol General Pracha Promnog, after presiding over a meeting of the committee, said that as a result of the Chiang Mai case some 600 immigrants' Thai nationality was restored in 2009, and another 250 immigrants saw their nationality restored in 2010-2012. The case seriously affected national security Pracha said.

In the GT200 case, 47-year-old British conman Gary Bolton, who sold the fake bomb detectors in many countries including Thailand, was sentenced by a British court on August 20 to a seven-year jail term.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-29

What's with this DSI? Are we to believe they are miraculously credible? Or do they just get a bigger payoff because they are "above" the BiB. And where did they get these "honest" Thais to be in this department?

• Like 1

Where is the political agenda in probing these instances, I am sure the DSI will find some way of implicating the former PM and his deputy. Or perhaps they are trying to show that they are not a tool to be wielded by the government.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i thought the DSI s only task was to go after the Democrats,

They will easily find the guy who pulled off the bomb scanner

scam, hes doing time in the UK, BUT I don't think they will be

asking probing questions like, who did you pay the kickbacks

to for buying your useless detectors,and are you in anyway

sorry for the innocent people who have been convicted on

the evidence of an empty box and an aerial,and any soldiers

who lost their lives,thinking it worked !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

That fake bomb detector must be one of the greatest cons in history. Just goes to show that if you want to get away with a lie, tell a big one. xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.YrVD4txHqx.webp alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

yeap...but the stangest thing about this con, even once it was reaveled it was a con, there were personages in the Thai establishment that insisted that the kit worked and was sucessful in finding bombs....20x20xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM. width=20 alt=blink.png>

When you know you have been fooled deny it, or else everybody think you are stupid clap2.gif

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see what the report is concerning the army buying these golf ball finders. Which General Halftrack will they pin it on?

I believe the reason they have re-opened this investigation is to put a little more pressure on the army before they are going to meet Thaksin in London next week to discuss retirement packages and most probably a new candidate to replace Prayuth next year.

That fake bomb detector must be one of the greatest cons in history. Just goes to show that if you want to get away with a lie, tell a big one. laugh.png

yeap...but the stangest thing about this con, even once it was reaveled it was a con, there were personages in the Thai establishment that insisted that the kit worked and was sucessful in finding bombs....blink.png

Reminds me of the old saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts".

• Like 1

That fake bomb detector must be one of the greatest cons in history. Just goes to show that if you want to get away with a lie, tell a big one. laugh.png

yeap...but the stangest thing about this con, even once it was reaveled it was a con, there were personages in the Thai establishment that insisted that the kit worked and was sucessful in finding bombs....blink.png

Reminds me of the old saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts".

Squirrel or bar girl, ooooops sorry

I am not sure what's the connection between the dousing rods and citizenship thing. There was a big case a few years ago where ID cards were issued to a group of stateless persons in Chiang Mai and then their citizenship was revoked. NGOs were up in arms about it which suggested that their claims to citizenship were valid. I don't know if this is the same group but it sounds like it.