Damascus preparing for Western military strike: people flee country, military commands relocated

webfact

Damascus preparing for Western military strike: people flee country, military commands relocated

DAMASCUS: -- While it seems that the only issue left to be settled by Western leaders is the timing of the military strike on Syria, people in Damascus are preparing. Syrians prefer to stay inside their homes or flee for neighboring Lebanon. The military are being evacuated.

Damascus is a city with more than 1.7 million residents. But the streets are quiet nowadays, western reporters tell, as the Syrian capital is preparing for a US-led military response to the alleged use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government last week.

More than 5,000 Syrians have reportedly left the country for the neighboring Lebanon since Wednesday, following 9,000 who left earlier on Tuesday. Estimates say that almost 2 million Syrians have been displaced out of Syria since the onset of the conflict.

Those who have remianed are trying to remain calm, despite knowing they are in a most vulnerable position.
“We live in the capital. Every turn, every street, every neighborhood has some government target. Where do we hide?" RT is citing a resident as telling.

Long breadlines are seen in the streets. People are buying food and water that would certainly be in high demand in case the assault starts.

Voice of Russia, RT, The Washington Post

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_08_29/Damascus-preparing-for-Western-military-strike-people-flee-country-military-commands-relocated-5614/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-08-29

• Like 1

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love Bama . . . Nothing like telling the enemy when and where you are about to attack. Targets will now move and use human shields as much as possible. Brilliant guy!

Well you never know.

Maybe the US has no idea where the targets are & hope to see with satellites when moved?

That is if they exist at all. That is also if chems were even disbursed by the Syrian Govt.

Better tact I think is like what the British are doing & wait for the UN inspectors report to see who let what go.

I have never heard of the Syrian Govt using human shields although I have heard that said about some of the rebel

factions that are attacking them

But most of all I feel for the people mentioned in the OP

Having to run, having to flee to neighboring countries, having to find food which is quickly running out.

All because? Someone who wants to save them is possibly coming to bomb them.

Sorry if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as we bomb to help you?

Ah yes but they say "surgical" strikes. Yes we saw those in Libya too

Just sounds odd

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Gotta love Bama . . . Nothing like telling the enemy when and where you are about to attack. Targets will now move and use human shields as much as possible. Brilliant guy!

Aren't you a lawyer? If so, are you familiar with the requirement to give advance warning to civilians in such an event?

Have you considered that perhaps the warning is intended to discourage further use of poison gas and to make life difficult for Assad?

President Obama isn't the one pushing for the intervention. Rather it is coming from the likes of McCain and others in the GOP who have long demanded intervention. Why blame the POTUS?

• Like 2

Well you never know.

Maybe the US has no idea where the targets are & hope to see with satellites when moved?

That is if they exist at all. That is also if chems were even disbursed by the Syrian Govt.

Better tact I think is like what the British are doing & wait for the UN inspectors report to see who let what go.

I have never heard of the Syrian Govt using human shields although I have heard that said about some of the rebel

factions that are attacking them

But most of all I feel for the people mentioned in the OP

Having to run, having to flee to neighboring countries, having to find food which is quickly running out.

All because? Someone who wants to save them is possibly coming to bomb them.

Sorry if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as we bomb to help you?

Ah yes but they say "surgical" strikes. Yes we saw those in Libya too

Just sounds odd

Huh, did you actually think before putting fingers to key board.

These people on both sides have no shame. They have used and will continue to use children and civilians as shields and likely targets will be holed up in neighborhoods and civilian areas now with concern of US intervention.

------

Children are being used as sniper targets and human shields in the Syria war, the United Nations said Wednesday, in a report that added Mali to its child soldier list of shame.

Sexual violence has been used by President Bashar al-Assads forces against boys to obtain information or confessions, the special representative said.

Child detainees as young as 14 were tortured like adults including electric shock, beatings, stress positions and threats and acts of sexual torture.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/06/13/Children-used-as-human-shields-in-Syria-war-says-U-N-.html

Syrian troops are using children as young as nine-years-old as human shields, forcing them to ride on top of government tanks to deter opposition attacks, a UN report has stated.

The report said children were being tortured in detention, forced to fight, made victims of sexual violence and executed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9325965/Syrian-army-using-children-as-human-shields.html

Aren't you a lawyer? If so, are you familiar with the requirement to give advance warning to civilians in such an event?

Have you considered that perhaps the warning is intended to discourage further use of poison gas and to make life difficult for Assad?

President Obama isn't the one pushing for the intervention. Rather it is coming from the likes of McCain and others in the GOP who have long demanded intervention. Why blame the POTUS?

Kind of like his line drawing and threatening force that has worked so well! No one takes him seriously any more.

• Like 2

I heard reporters in last day or two giving interviews right after crossing Syrian border. Both said the civilians in Syria were desperate for US intervention and were asking what was taking so long for US to help.

Are these reports being swept under the rug due to political agendas. Do Syrian civilians really want US intervention. Candidly, things are about as bad as it could get already so perhaps they do want help. War zone with children being tortured, killed and sexually abused.

I dunno. The interviews I saw were pretty dang compelling and seem to reflect civilians wanted US to help.

• Like 1

I heard reporters in last day or two giving interviews right after crossing Syrian border. Both said the civilians in Syria were desperate for US intervention and were asking what was taking so long for US to help.

Are these reports being swept under the rug due to political agendas. Do Syrian civilians really want US intervention. Candidly, things are about as bad as it could get already so perhaps they do want help. War zone with children being tortured, killed and sexually abused.

I dunno. The interviews I saw were pretty dang compelling and seem to reflect civilians wanted US to help.

Cheap sensationalism

With zero credibility

• Like 2

Cheap sensationalism

With zero credibility

How do you know? Have you been in Syria lately interviewing the civilians about what is really going on and how they feel? So perhaps you have zero credibility on this subject because you base your opinions on only what you want to hear or comports with your personal belief system.

Kinda like your statement about no use if human shields . . . Oops, here is another one.

Assad to use political prisoners as human shields or is this just more sensationalism with zero credibility.

http://english.the-syrian.com/2013/08/29/assad-plans-to-use-prisoners-as-human-shields/

Edited by F430murci

How do you know? Have you been in Syria lately interviewing the civilians about what is really going on and how they feel? So perhaps you have zero credibility on this subject because you base your opinions on only what you want to hear or comports with your personal belief system.

Oh please...have you been?

You offer a sensationalized post nothing more.

Reported as you say yet

Google Interviews of Syrians want US intervention = ZERO hits

Google Reporters Interviewing Syrians finds they want US intervention = Zero Hits

Google simply Syrians want US intervention = Zero hits

Basically your keyboard has the trots

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Reported as you say yet

Google Reporters Interviewing Syrians finds they want US intervention = Zero Hits

I cannot find the exact interviews I saw on television, but there are many similar reports out there. I don't knot how you can judge those reporters without even seeing the interviews.

"Desperate people in Syria hope US intervenes militarily"

http://www.necn.com/08/26/13/Desperate-people-in-Syria-hope-US-interv/landing_mobile.html?blockID=850633&feedID=11106

Edited by F430murci

Reported as you say yet

Here is one interview I was referring to . . .

" good morning, savannah. we just came out of syria . that is syria right behind us. that is the turkish to syria gateway. and when we were inside talking to syrians they were desperate asking for the united states to intervene militarily."

http://www.today.com/video/today/52845511

Edited by F430murci

I cannot find the exact interviews I saw on television, but there are many similar reports out there. I don't knot how you can judge those reporters without even seeing the interviews.

http://www.necn.com/08/26/13/Desperate-people-in-Syria-hope-US-interv/landing_mobile.html?blockID=850633&feedID=11106

Exactly hard to judge that which does not exist

You are the one who said it did.

Yet anything reported in this day & age is on Google almost instantly

Your claims are not

As for you video

Yes great & the disclaimer that comes with it

"NBC NEWS CANNOT AUTHENTICATE THIS AMATEUR VIDEO OR VERIFY THE ALLEGATIONS OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS ATTACKS."

Also not one Syrian speaks on your video.

So I will give it a pass.

That aside I do not doubt there are some Syrians who hope for the US to bomb

I do not doubt that some Syrians wish one or other faction of rebels to win & overthrow their government

I only doubt the US should be involved at all in another country civil war

I also take exception to sensationalized posts that basically cheer on such bombings.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Your claims are not

As for you video

"NBC NEWS CANNOT AUTHENTICATE THIS AMATEUR VIDEO OR VERIFY THE ALLEGATIONS OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS ATTACKS."

I do not doubt that some Syrians wish one or other faction of rebels will win

I only doubt the US should be involved at all.

I also take exception to sensationalized posts that basically cheer on such bombings.

Haha, this is what happens when we get a world educated by Google. I swear the Internet has removed 20 points from people's IQs . . .

Here is one of the interviews you said don't exist.

" good morning, savannah. we just came out of syria . that is syria right behind us. that is the turkish to syria gateway. and when we were inside talking to syrians they were desperate asking for the united states to intervene militarily."

http://www.today.com/video/today/52845511#transcript

Edited by F430murci

Haha, this is what happens when we get a world educated by Google. I swear the Internet has removed 20 points from people's IQs . . .

haha is right as that is the same basically unauthenticated amateur vid report you already posted

It still has zero weight wink.png

As for google the only reason it was mentioned was in context to a sensationalized claim.

Anyway enough but carry on

Edited by mania

Your claims are not

As for you video

Yes, these interviews exist, just like Curveball exists, a petty Iraqi criminal who fled his country and decided to to secure a place for himself in the history books. He now lives in Germany and gets a monthly social welfare allowance of EUR 2000, after working some time for a fake company operated by the German secret service. He also doesn't want to be bothered with questions about his role in the Operation "Iraqi Freedom".

• Like 1

Here is how seriously Putin regime takes Bama.

"The West behaves like a monkey with a grenade in the Islamic world," Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin tweeted.

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Amid-Syria-tensions-Russia-sends-more-warships-to-Mediterranean-324638

Putin and world leaders are taking Prez Obama very seriously.

Four aircraft carrier strike groups in the eastern Mediterranean sounds like the equivalent of D-Day in World War 2.

Very seriously.

Four carrier strike groups in the eastern Mediterranean means Obama is prepared for anything - anything.

haha is right as that is the same basically unauthenticated amateur vid report you already posted

It still has zero weight wink.png

As for google the only reason it was mentioned was in context to a sensationalized claim.

Anyway enough but carry on

So now you are saying that Richard Engle is an amateur making videos at the Turkey Syrian border. Maybe you should let NBC know that their chief foreign correspondent is an imposter.

--------

Richard Engel (born September 16, 1973) is an American journalist and author who is NBC News's chief foreign correspondent.[1] He was assigned to that position on April 18, 2008 after being the network's Middle East correspondent and Beirut Bureau chief. Engel was the first broadcast journalist recipient of the Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism for his report "War Zone Diary".[2]

Prior to joining NBC News in May 2003, he covered the start of the 2003 war in Iraq from Baghdad for ABC News as a freelance journalist. He speaks and reads Arabic fluently and is also fluent in Italian and Spanish. Engel wrote the book A Fist in the Hornet's Nest, published in 2004, about his experience covering the Iraq War from Baghdad. His newest book, War Journal: My Five Years in Iraq, published in June 2008, picks up where his last book left off.

Engel is known for having covered the Iraq War, the Arab Spring and the Syrian civil war.[3]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Engel

Your claims are not

As for you video

Yes, these interviews exist, just like Curveball exists, a petty Iraqi criminal who fled his country and decided to to secure a place for himself in the history books. He now lives in Germany and gets a monthly social welfare allowance of EUR 2000, after working some time for a fake company operated by the German secret service. He also doesn't want to be bothered with questions about his role in the Operation "Iraqi Freedom".

Who are you talking about? Richard Engle is a petty Iraqi criminal? Is anyone on here lucid?

So now you are saying that Richard Engle is an amateur making videos at the Turkey Syrian border. Maybe you should let NBC know that their chief foreign correspondent is an imposter.

No I was quoting what is written on the linked video you provided.

But give it any additional weight you like/need

Until we see a bunch of Syrians making the claim they hope to be bombed

I tend to think a Syrian brain on reality instead sees it like this...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663939-no-doubt-syria-used-chemical-arms-says-us-vice-president-joe-biden/page-5#entry6768578

"I've always been a supporter of foreign intervention, but now that it seems like a reality, I've been worrying that my family could be hurt or killed," said one woman, Zaina, who opposes Assad. "I'm afraid of a military strike now."

"The big fear is that they'll make the same mistakes they made in Libya and Iraq," said Ziyad, a man in his 50s. "They'll hit civilian targets, and then they'll cry that it was by mistake, but we'll get killed in the thousands."

But as I said before & more to an actual point....

This whole we will bomb you because someone (yet we do not know who used chem gas.)

Is ludicris

They want a regime change & always have. They did not get it so now they will create it on unsubstantiated claims

At least be honest about it. Not like the world does not see it clearly

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

No I was quoting what is written on the linked video you provided.

But give it any additional weight you like.

Until we see a bunch of Syrians making the claim they hope to be bombed

I tend to think a Syrian brain on reality instead sees it like this...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663939-no-doubt-syria-used-chemical-arms-says-us-vice-president-joe-biden/page-5#entry6768578

"I've always been a supporter of foreign intervention, but now that it seems like a reality, I've been worrying that my family could be hurt or killed," said one woman, Zaina, who opposes Assad. "I'm afraid of a military strike now."

"The big fear is that they'll make the same mistakes they made in Libya and Iraq," said Ziyad, a man in his 50s. "They'll hit civilian targets, and then they'll cry that it was by mistake, but we'll get killed in the thousands."

But as I said before & more to an actual point....

This whole we will bomb you because someone (yet we do not know who used chem gas.)

Is ludicris

They want a regime change & always have. They did not get it so now they will make it.

At least be honest about it. Not like the world does not see it clearly

That was Richard Engle's report that was quoted in the link and said "transcript" "with richard engle" and then "all right. richard engle, thank you very much" at the end. I see how it could be confusing. I am also sure you have a better grasp on what it is like in Syria than someone like him who has been inside reporting in the civil war for some time.

Edited by F430murci

That was Richard Engle's report that was quoted in the link and said "transcript" "with richard engle" and then "all right. richard engle, thank you very much" at the end. I see how it could be confusing.

Not confusing at all.

It showed one mans opinion no Syrians

I know it is in a person who claims to be a lawyers nature to argue a losing battle

but no facts = no facts to argue

Carry on though but really I have said all I need to say thanks

That was Richard Engle's report that was quoted in the link and said "transcript" "with richard engle" and then "all right. richard engle, thank you very much" at the end. I see how it could be confusing.

Not confusing at all.

It showed one mans opinion no Syrians

I know it is in a person who claims to be a lawyers nature to argue a losing battle

but no facts = no facts to argue

Carry on though but really I have said all I need to say thanks

Okay, so at first not exist, then an amateur and now he is just making all that up. Cool.

Here are some "Syrian's" opinions on whether US should intervene.

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/130827_18646.shtml?wap=0

Candidly, I want US to stay out for many reasons. My only point before you said it was all fabricated was whether this is really how the civilians on the ground feel and if politics may be keeping their desperation for help quiet.

Obviously, Assad wants US to stay out. Duh. What do the civilians want or need maybe the bigger question. News flash to you . . . It ain't going so well over there now and conditions couldn't get much worse for those poor people.

Obviously, Assad wants US to stay out. Duh. What do the civilians want or need maybe the bigger question. News flash to you . . . It ain't going so well over there now and conditions couldn't get much worse for those poor people.

Obviously so do the majority of Americans want the US to bud out

News flash for you........It aint going all that well for any place the US already bombed to *supposedly* liberate folks either

Edited by mania

I don't think there's any plan to liberate anyone. I think the plan is to punish someone for using chemical weapons.

The US has very little, if any, interests in Syria. Business connections are nil.

There is no plan for troops.

It's quite sad, too, I spent considerable time in Syria and I found the people to be lovely. Very sad for them.

• Like 1