Appropriate gift from boss to employee who had a baby

I run a small IT company of around 30 employees, and one of my managers just had a baby. What would be an appropriate gift? What would a good price range be?

This is the first baby in the company, so I'll be setting a precedent, and I want to do it right :-)

Thanks!

Slightly different to your case scenario.

As I am not a company Boss.

When Thai friends have a new baby,I place a bht 500 note in the babies hand,when they come to show off the new addition to the family.

More of an English tradition, giving money to the baby.

But it signifies,the person, receiver's hands will not be short of money. (So I believe)

It always goes down pretty well.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As someone had mentioned above, you can asked them what they want.

It also depends on how good of an employee that person is and/or how close to you they are. My wife said that in a situation similar to yours (loyal employee for over 30 years), we would give a them either cash or a 1-2 Salung bracelet/anklet with is 5-10K. One thing I am sure of though is that Thais always appreciate money or gold, espcially when it is coming from their Boss.

Slightly different to your case scenario.

As I am not a company Boss.

When Thai friends have a new baby,I place a bht 500 note in the babies hand,when they come to show off the new addition to the family.

More of an English tradition, giving money to the baby.

But it signifies,the person, receiver's hands will not be short of money. (So I believe)

It always goes down pretty well.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Either it was never done to me or it doesn't work #permanentlyskint

It also depends on how good of an employee that person is and/or how close to you they are. My wife said that in a situation similar to yours (loyal employee for over 30 years), we would give a them either cash or a 1-2 Salung bracelet/anklet with is 5-10K. One thing I am sure of though is that Thais always appreciate money or gold, espcially when it is coming from their Boss.

"It also depends on how good of an employee that person is and/or how close to you they are"

You'll need to be careful if you're going to start setting the value of the gift on the scale that you privately set for performance or personal friendship. Every subsequent gift will be measured relative to those that came before & after it and you could end up creating more grief and ill-will than you imagined. Better to pick a standardized gift that will be repeated for all such occasions rather than trying to make it individualized. It'll be appreciated and not become a competition.

Asking someone what he/she wants is going to make most people uncomfortable. Do they ask for a package of disposable nappies or a two-baht gold medallion?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

There is no reason you should give anything, but I think the 500 baht in the baby's hands is a good idea. Personally I would give a toy for the baby to play with.

The standard response to comments about the impressive size of one's todger is to say "I never had any toys when I was young'. An alternative would be "My mother lifted me out of my cot by it'.

• Like 1

Shouldn't think that many loyal employees with over 30 years service would suddenly become a mother.

monkey had this 2 month's ago with next door dropping one, wife said have to give gift (me thinks here we go 5k) I say's how much darlink she said only 400 to 500 happy days I would say don't go over 500 baht ..

• Like 1

There is no reason you should give anything, but I think the 500 baht in the baby's hands is a good idea. Personally I would give a toy for the baby to play with.

The standard response to comments about the impressive size of one's todger is to say "I never had any toys when I was young'. An alternative would be "My mother lifted me out of my cot by it'.

so you have had a big nose from birth then, I know blame it on the parents sorry but at least it took me 30 mins to resist to replying must be getting old and slow.. beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

2-3 k is appropiate. Get a giftset from something like "the mall". The usually include some clothing, a little toy and maybe you a good quality pacifyer....

Add a fruit basket if you feel generous.

Leave the 1/⁴ baht gold for family members to give.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a recent parent, I would say only give money. We have so many crap toys around the house and our kid could give a sheit about them. Let the parents decide what they want to buy for their kid, other than that give them several bags of diapers or a few cans of baby formula. Formula can be tricky though as some kids, mine, are lactose intolerant and can only drink soy.

Awesome responses and advice, thanks so much to everyone! In the end I decided that a gold bracelet would indeed be more appropriate for family members, and went with a toy worth a couple thousand baht instead. I'd be comfortable giving the same gift or similar for all future baby situations.