Sisters Arrested For Selling 'Counterfeit' Gold

Lite Beer

Sisters Arrested For Selling 'Counterfeit' Gold

13777570851377757111l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police have arrested a pair of sisters in Nakhon Ratchasima Province on charge of selling counterfeit gold.

Mr. Suthep Ratkarnkanok and Ms. Patreeya Rattanamaneevet, two gold dealers in the province alerted the police after they noticed the gold they just bought was stuffed with unidentified substances.

Mr. Suthep told our correspondent that the false gold was made neatly and barely noticeable for its flaws. However, he decided to burn the gold in 3,000 degree celcius heat, and learned that the gold was not pure.

According to Mr. Suthep, the 4 gold bullions they purchased were worth approximately 5 million baht.

Upon receiving the complaints, police issued warrant and arrested Ms. Worranuch Kanto, 44 and Ms. Siriphon Jittikronkul, 41. They police then charged them for fraud, after both of them fail to testify clear information.

Mr. Chaichana Prapruettipong, Managing Director of Gold Dealers Association in Nakhon Ratchasima, said that the fraudulent gold might have been manufactured abroad and smuggled into the Kingdom.

He also urged dealers to be aware of this incident, and suggested gold trading to be made only with the licensed dealers, as the genuine gold would be listed with bar code and guarantee bill.

A police officer told our correspondent that it was fortunate that the Association arranged training course for gold dealer to be aware of artificial gold, so many dealers were alerted prior to the incident.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056YzFOekE0TlE9PQ==

--KHOASOD English 2013-08-29

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a country full of fakes, even fake women no less, this raises not one of my eyebrows.

I buy my gold from the Royal Mint

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and I buy mine by the ton from the gold mines in Africa

I only buy gold for my wife , not that often only when i upset her . and when i not have the money to buy it i go goldpanning in the klong , so she knows i put some effort in making up

• Like 2

In a country full of fakes, even fake women no less, this raises not one of my eyebrows.

I only buy gold for my wife , not that often only when i upset her . and when i not have the money to buy it i go goldpanning in the klong , so she knows i put some effort in making up

A Som tum is cheaper

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have often wondered why selling false gold was not more prevalent.

How do we know it's not?

I wonder how many nest eggs are going to be a real disappointment when it's time to cash them in.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Apparently the Royal Mint is as susceptible to forgeries made in their name as anyone:

A sampling test by the Royal Mint showed the number of counterfeit coins appears to have doubled in the last five years, suggesting that one in every 50 £1 coins is not the genuine article. When the last test was conducted in 2003, the proportion of forged coins was put at 1%.

Although the Royal Mint said the forgery represented "a comparatively low incidence of counterfeit coins by international monetary standards", some experts disagreed.

Robert Matthews, the Queen's assay master at the mint until he retired to become a coin consultant four years ago, said confidence in coins had collapsed in other countries when forgery rates reached similar levels. "In 2004, people started refusing to take the South African five-rand coin due to concerns about the number of counterfeits, and eventually the coin had to be redesigned and recirculated," he told the BBC.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/sep/23/consumeraffairs

Once again the notion that everything was perfect back in farang utopia isn't quite true.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons i have now stopped buying gold in any form,, i will keep the few pieces i have and get rid of the rest, they did well to re-melt the gold, intuition i suppose but it just goes to show, we get ripped off no matter where we are all over the world, the moral to my story,, stop put the money in the bank (offshore) where no one knows but you,, keep it secret as,,, (darling i have no money) and spend happily forever,, good luck everyone.

I just buy the mines

• Like 1

I just buy the mines

I own the country, you have to pay me rent and a percent of the finds in them there hills.

• Like 1

I just buy the mines

I own the country, you have to pay me rent and a percent of the finds in them there hills.

I AM THE LAW!!! Okay, I give up now

• Like 1

Pity we cannot see the mandatory "finger-pointing" cheesy.gif

If it is that important, picture me pointing at you with both of my middle fingers.coffee1.gif Happy now?

Edited by stoli
  • Like 1

More likely they assumed it was stolen and wanted to melt it down so it wasn't traceable....

This is one of the reasons i have now stopped buying gold in any form,, i will keep the few pieces i have and get rid of the rest, they did well to re-melt the gold, intuition i suppose but it just goes to show, we get ripped off no matter where we are all over the world, the moral to my story,, stop put the money in the bank (offshore) where no one knows but you,, keep it secret as,,, (darling i have no money) and spend happily forever,, good luck everyone.

• Like 2

Illegal mines?