What do you miss most about home?

sunny and hot

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP asked that food be excluded from the thread. The first 6 posts were about what? You guessed it. Food.

And the next ten posts? You guessed it, the majority about food.

And the next, "paying through the nose for foodstuffs I took for granted back home. Went back to the UK for the first time in years a few months back. Wandering round Tescos sossie section, Cumberlands, Lincolnshires, all at about 30 baht a pack. Nearly brought me to tears..... And don't get me started on the pate...."

Anti Thai posts? The next guy misses,"The cool sea breezes in height of summer and magnificent sun sets over the ocean." Thailand doesn't have these? Oh come on. I live on the ocean in Thailand and they do every night.

Or, "Easy access to good books and an intellectual conversation" You mean Thailand has not the INTERNET?

Anti Thai? Thailand does not have books or pretty sunsets? Oh come on. 10 posts longing for batter fried fish. Humans with access to food from every part of the globe miss batter fried fish? No wonder they drink beer warm and eat deep fried candy bars. One poster says all Thais are crazy and he misses sanity. Anti Thai? No of course not. And another poster says only non Thai food doesn't look like rubbish? Ergo all Thai food looks like rubbish (anti Thai posts?).

Kenny misses white girls. Not anti Thai of course not.

Thailand does not have clean air. Right sure. And LA does. That's what I mean about anti Thai. Every country has places with clean air and places with dirty air. If you want clean air in Thailand you don't go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. That's not hard to figure.

Another fellow has not found a club with no prostitutes in Thailand. What? What nonsense. 90% of the clubs in Thailand don't have hookers. Or, "I think if I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad." What kind of a person would write that?

Arthur misses cleavage. That means all Thai women are flat chested and all the women from Arthur's country have big bosoms. Arthur must be mentally off. Cleavage is all around. Maybe not as large as Arthur is used to but I would bet the women are not as large as Arthur is used to either.

Steve likes quiet surroundings, clean non-polluted areas. Steve must be a nut case to not know where to find quiet surroundings and clean non polluted areas in Thailand. My house is one and there are thousand upon thousands more.

The thread is riddled with anti Thai posts.

The thread was titled, what do you miss about home to exclude food. The question answered was, list the food not available in Thailand that is available in England and list the differences in temperature and climate between England and Thailand.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a thread about the differences in food and climate between England and Thailand. However I don't think that was the topic of this thread although that is what got answered.

Again, I dont want to be rude here, but for some unexplainable reason you seem to have mixed up "What you miss most about home" with "Analyse the answers in this thread from a manufactured viewpoint and share whatever gibberish you come up with".

I offered an explanation a few posts ago. The OP provided some additional to support my case. I think he deserves help rather than criticism...

Back on topic, the games at MBPJ stadium were probably below the standard you would expect in the Scottish borders, and there were a lot of infuriating knock-ons. The refereeing was pretty pish, and the playing of the advantage rule was generally poor. So I suppose a decent game of rugby would be up there on the list, though watching people playing in a quagmire as the rain comes down in stair-rods is more pleasant at 30 degrees than at 3.

SC

I worte a 500 word post. An adult would quote something I wrote and debate it or point out where I was wrong. A child would call me names and make fun of me rather than debate. I expected a bit more from you but I guess you are overwhelmed. I'll make it simple for you. I'll respost it and highlight in red the off topic or anti Thai elements.

The OP asked that food be excluded from the thread. The first 6 posts were about what? You guessed it. Food.

And the next, "paying through the nose for foodstuffs I took for granted back home. Went back to the UK for the first time in years a few months back. Wandering round Tescos sossie section, Cumberlands, Lincolnshires, all at about 30 baht a pack. Nearly brought me to tears..... And don't get me started on the pate...."

Anti Thai posts? The next guy misses,"The cool sea breezes in height of summer and magnificent sun sets over the ocean." Thailand doesn't have these? Oh come on. I live on the ocean in Thailand and they do every night.

Or, "Easy access to good books and an intellectual conversation" You mean Thailand has not the INTERNET?

Anti Thai? Thailand does not have books or pretty sunsets? Oh come on. 10 posts longing for batter fried fish. Humans with access to food from every part of the globe miss batter fried fish? No wonder they drink beer warm and eat deep fried candy bars. One poster says all Thais are crazy and he misses sanity. Anti Thai? No of course not. And another poster says only non Thai food doesn't look like rubbish? Ergo all Thai food looks like rubbish (anti Thai posts?).

Thailand does not have clean air. Right sure. And LA does. That's what I mean about anti Thai. Every country has places with clean air and places with dirty air. If you want clean air in Thailand you don't go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. That's not hard to figure.

Another fellow has not found a club with no prostitutes in Thailand. What? What nonsense. 90% of the clubs in Thailand don't have hookers. Or, "I think if I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad." What kind of a person would write that?

Arthur misses cleavage. That means all Thai women are flat chested and all the women from Arthur's country have big bosoms. Arthur must be mentally off. Cleavage is all around. Maybe not as large as Arthur is used to but I would bet the women are not as large as Arthur is used to either.

Steve likes quiet surroundings, clean non-polluted areas. Steve must be a nut case to not know where to find quiet surroundings and clean non polluted areas in Thailand. My house is one and there are thousand upon thousands more.

The thread was titled, what do you miss about home to exclude food. The question answered was, list the food not available in Thailand that is available in England and list the differences in temperature and climate between England and Thailand.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a thread about the differences in food and climate between England and Thailand. However I don't think that was the topic of this thread although that is what got answered.

Go ahead prove me wrong. Of the posts in this thread how many mention English weather and food?

Edited by historyprof

Again, I dont want to be rude here, but for some unexplainable reason you seem to have mixed up "What you miss most about home" with "Analyse the answers in this thread from a manufactured viewpoint and share whatever gibberish you come up with".

I offered an explanation a few posts ago. The OP provided some additional to support my case. I think he deserves help rather than criticism...

Back on topic, the games at MBPJ stadium were probably below the standard you would expect in the Scottish borders, and there were a lot of infuriating knock-ons. The refereeing was pretty pish, and the playing of the advantage rule was generally poor. So I suppose a decent game of rugby would be up there on the list, though watching people playing in a quagmire as the rain comes down in stair-rods is more pleasant at 30 degrees than at 3.

SC

I worte a 500 word post. An adult would quote something I wrote and debate it or point out where I was wrong. A child would call me names and make fun of me rather than debate. I expected a bit more from you but I guess you are overwhelmed. I'll make it simple for you. I'll respost it and highlight in red the off topic or anti Thai elements.

Go ahead prove me wrong. Of the posts in this thread how many mention English weather and food?

But I miss my Pickled Onions MOST OF ALL. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

SC

I agree.

I don't think there's anything anti-Thai about missing the foods you grew up with. A friend kindly offered to bring back a McSween's haggis. I bought a tin of Cullen Skink in the supermarket today. I don't feel that I'm denigrating the local cuisine by doing so.

Personally, I often find that the longer posts offer no more insight than the shorter, and need no more reply. Verbosity is not a merit in its own right.

SC

I agree.

I don't think there's anything anti-Thai about missing the foods you grew up with. A friend kindly offered to bring back a McSween's haggis. I bought a tin of Cullen Skink in the supermarket today. I don't feel that I'm denigrating the local cuisine by doing so.

Personally, I often find that the longer posts offer no more insight than the shorter, and need no more reply. Verbosity is not a merit in its own right.

SC

The OP said specifically not to include food in this thread. So you are off topic. Why would you post information that the OP asked you not to post?

I agree.

SC

The OP said specifically not to include food in this thread. So you are off topic. Why would you post information that the OP asked you not to post?

Spite. I don't even miss haggis.

• Like 1

I agree.

SC

That really pisses you off eh? you keep on posting about it man, relax.

I think most long time expats miss their home country food and despite OP request not to include food here, poster's mention food probably because it's one of the first tings that pops up in their minds.

Many topics in here goes off topic or getting side tracked, even the moderators have given up.biggrin.png

Stable electricity - buying things and knowing that in all likelihood it will still be in one piece and working a year (or many) later (read: Build quality) - affordable/realistic new and second hand car market - stable internet with fast international speeds - chippy chips/decent cheese for realistic prices/good size potatoes for mashing and jackets - Linda Mccartney's deep filled vegetarians pies - forests (used to walk in the forest back home - there was a 1200 year old church in the middle, still in use, nice walk, beautiful forest with plenty of paths wide and narrow) - my old motorcycles (sniff crying.gif ) - lack of soi dogs - emission controls on vehicles and noise limits on bike exhausts - my family of course too.

Much everything else I can get here - including UK TV. The list of things I am glad I see the back of is much, much longer though!

Edited by wolf5370

I agree.

SC

post-98752-0-46049700-1377971821_thumb.j

I agree.

SC

Spite. I don't even miss haggis.

I don't miss haggis either ...

But I've never eaten haggis.

If I'd eaten haggis ... would I miss it now that I'm in Thailand?

... or is that too much speculation?

I agree.

SC

I think most long time expats miss their home country food and despite OP request not to include food here, poster's mention food probably because it's one of the first tings that pops up in their minds.

Many topics in here goes off topic or getting side tracked, even the moderators have given up.biggrin.png

I think he realised he was on a losing wicket with the "anti-Thai" line of prosecution, so he's moved the goal-posts. I expect his next attack will be off-topic digressions, mixed and inappropriate sporting metaphors, or unnecessary speculation

We'll 'ave noon o' that, naow, Caowboy

sorry, Ray..

And yoo 'n' all, Deyvid

I agree.

SC

You know Australian rules football? I think this thread is British rules posting.

You know Australian rules football? I think this thread is British rules posting.

That means FA to me

I agree.

SC

I think he realised he was on a losing wicket with the "anti-Thai" line of prosecution, so he's moved the goal-posts. I expect his next attack will be off-topic digressions, mixed and inappropriate sporting metaphors, or unnecessary speculation

We'll 'ave noon o' that, naow, Caowboy

sorry, Ray..

And yoo 'n' all, Deyvid

A list of anti Thai posts for cowboy.

Sanity

my 11 yrs old realise more and more that how the great thailand treat foreigners, double pricing, etc. and he gets upset over it. that warms my heart, that maybe due time there is a hope.

Oh,how I wish you were right. Frankly, I doubt it and fear he will be sucked into the general acceptance of corruption and whatever the Thais judge right and wrong to be.

White girls.

Clean air to enjoy it in. Good roads to get there. Sane drivers.

Ohh... also miss bars and dance clubs, with NO prostitutes in... Have not found one of those here yet.

If I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad

Cleavage.

Ahh. I wish I could remember real ale, but the fake stuff here slaughtered the brain cells that held those memories.

Good, cheap Aussie wines as opposed to the rubbish available in Thailand at a premium price.

I miss the low cost of just about everything I like to eat or drink or wear.

This thing about seeing 'Anti Thai' everywhere you look - its all in your own head.

A list of anti Thai posts for cowboy.

Sanity

my 11 yrs old realise more and more that how the great thailand treat foreigners, double pricing, etc. and he gets upset over it. that warms my heart, that maybe due time there is a hope.

Oh,how I wish you were right. Frankly, I doubt it and fear he will be sucked into the general acceptance of corruption and whatever the Thais judge right and wrong to be.

White girls.

Clean air to enjoy it in. Good roads to get there. Sane drivers.

Ohh... also miss bars and dance clubs, with NO prostitutes in... Have not found one of those here yet.

If I spend 12 month here a year I would go mad

Cleavage.

Ahh. I wish I could remember real ale, but the fake stuff here slaughtered the brain cells that held those memories.

Good, cheap Aussie wines as opposed to the rubbish available in Thailand at a premium price.

I miss the low cost of just about everything I like to eat or drink or wear.

This thing about seeing 'Anti Thai' everywhere you look - its all in your own head.

Point of order:

My line about rubbish wines was not Thai bashing! I was referring to the nasty Australian wines widely sold in Thailand.

That means FA to me

good one!

cheesy.gif