Real cost of car ownership in Thailand

Felt 35

Interested to hear if any TV car owners consider the real cost of own a car in Thailand! I did some calculations myself some days ago based on a real car cost calculator used back home but with the numbers and cost in Thailand and even if a car ownership in Thailand is a lot cheaper than home it had in my case been smarter to sell and rent a car in the rain season. But then again I hardly drive 5000km a year and use my motorbike for everything less than 5km and with so little driving annually its sure not get cheaper.

What about other Tv members.

did you do feasibility study for renting vs. going by bus for that avarage 400km a month?

seriously, if you drive not so much, maybe consider doing your numbers on a cheap but reliable second hand car.

my pickup was such buy, has regular maintenance costs, but when i compare vs. renting i think we still ahead easily.

I use my pick-up about 6000-7000 km a year. It would be a pain in the rear renting a day here and a day there.

I picked it up for a good price. It had 2 farang owners before me, no Thai's, so I wasn't worried about it being 8 years old and I thought the mileage was genuine.

• Like 1

I'll tell you. I love ownership here in Thailand. If you pick and choose carefully you can really get some good value for the buck. I bought a used car at an auction with 22000 KM on it. Not even broke in good. I have had one main issue with it. That is the fuel rod. A known problem with Ford ranger pickups.

I went in yesterday to the local Ford dealer and had everything fixed I could think of. New wheel bearings ( front, with seals ). Drive shaft to transmission seal replaced, Fluids in transmission and rear end replaced. Total ( 7,685 baht ). I was thinking of a new pickup. But with the prices of repair and maintenance here. It makes it a very poor decision IMO.

And I might add I have always been fairly satisfied with the service. Not sure about the fuel rod problem! But, ownership is reasonable. And much preferable for me. I now have 180,000 KM. and still going strong. I am curious to see how many KM's I can get out of it before I need a replacement. Kinda a game for me now.

Vehicles are the number one worst purchase you will ever make. IMO. I get a kick out of pushing my vehicles to the limit. And try to purchase on a need basis, rather then a ( wow a new car, got to have that ) want basis?

I'll tell you. I love ownership here in Thailand. If you pick and choose carefully you can really get some good value for the buck. I bought a used car at an auction with 22000 KM on it. Not even broke in good. I have had one main issue with it. That is the fuel rod. A known problem with Ford ranger pickups.

I went in yesterday to the local Ford dealer and had everything fixed I could think of. New wheel bearings ( front, with seals ). Drive shaft to transmission seal replaced, Fluids in transmission and rear end replaced. Total ( 7,685 baht ). I was thinking of a new pickup. But with the prices of repair and maintenance here. It makes it a very poor decision IMO.

And I might add I have always been fairly satisfied with the service. Not sure about the fuel rod problem! But, ownership is reasonable. And much preferable for me. I now have 180,000 KM. and still going strong. I am curious to see how many KM's I can get out of it before I need a replacement. Kinda a game for me now.

Vehicles are the number one worst purchase you will ever make. IMO. I get a kick out of pushing my vehicles to the limit. And try to purchase on a need basis, rather then a ( wow a new car, got to have that ) want basis?

I bought my 4 door Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5 turbo diesel in December 2001 and it is still going strong with 283,xxx km on the clock.

I have replaced the radiator, the clutch slave and master cylinders and a few other bits and pieces and I am more than happy with it.

It has a few small battle scars, all mine and none of my wifes, and it just keeps plugging on.

I think we paid about 695,xxx Thb for it and the Ford dealer on Sukhumvit 62 filled the tank for a bit over 600 baht back in the good old days of less than 10 baht/litre.

• Like 1

I bought my 4 door Ford Ranger 4x4 2.5 turbo diesel in December 2001 and it is still going strong with 283,xxx km on the clock.

I have replaced the radiator, the clutch slave and master cylinders and a few other bits and pieces and I am more than happy with it.

It has a few small battle scars, all mine and none of my wifes, and it just keeps plugging on.

I think we paid about 695,xxx Thb for it and the Ford dealer on Sukhumvit 62 filled the tank for a bit over 600 baht back in the good old days of less than 10 baht/litre.

Man that is music to my ears. Just for the heck of it, how many KM on the clock before you had to replace the clutch slav and master cylinder? Why did the radiator go out? I drive mine like a dog. And it still keeps on going.

LOL, yea, mine has a few of my own love marks on it. Easier for me to find in the parking lot. smile.png

Edited by garyk

10 baht/km for me, including fuel, oil, tyres, maintenance, insurance, road tax......but not the initial cost of the car.

Broke mine down to all maintenance costs this year, which was high this year. Including all oil changes every 5,000 km. and with 50,000 km. That is my average yearly driving. Plus road tax and first class insurance. One set of tires.

All fuel at 30 baht / liter. And 15 km / liter.

Mine comes to .094 dollars or 9.4 cents / km. In U.S. dollars.

or 2.91 baht / km. (31 baht/dollar. average) / (100 cents in one dollar) = .31 baht / cent

.31 x 9.4 = 2.91 baht to the km.

Not sure about the 10 baht / km. that seems excessively high to me? By about 3 fold!

Edited by garyk

10 baht/km for me, including fuel, oil, tyres, maintenance, insurance, road tax......but not the initial cost of the car.

Broke mine down to all maintenance costs this year, which was high this year. Including all oil changes every 5,000 km. and with 50,000 km. That is my average yearly driving. Plus road tax and first class insurance. One set of tires.

or 2.91 baht / km. (31 baht/dollar. average) / (100 cents in one dollar) = .31 baht / cent

Not sure about the 10 baht / km. that seems excessively high to me? By about 3 fold!

Diesel Vs. Gasoline...or actually Gasohol.

I only get 10 km/l and pay 37-39 baht/l.

I only drive 8,000 km/year, so it add quick up to 10 baht/km.

Where's the depreciation?

For instance purchase price new THB 800,000.00, resale value after 5 years THB 450,000.00 = THB 350,000 / driven KM's (let's say 50.000 km in 5 years) = THB 7.00 / km

Edited by sjonburi
  • Like 1

It was answers like that I hoped for. Anyway my own cost pr. km is Thb 27,40 pr.km that include the initial car cost, annually fuel, oil, insurance,road tax and deprecation. It can seems high but as said I drive very little and to worse it get. When that's said I think a few others owning a relatively new medium standard car in Thailand can expect a real cost around the Thb 25,- mark pr.km and sure some higher.

For instance purchase price new THB 800,000.00, resale value after 5 years THB 450,000.00 = THB 350,000 / driven KM's (let's say 50.000 km in 5 years) = THB 7.00 / km

I'm curious what car you bought for 800K that went for just 450K @ 5 years old?.....

I'm pretty sure Hyundai haven't had an entry price that low since the 90's :P

Deprecation is less in Thailand than the West, but still there.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-1633412/Calculator-True-cost-running-car.html

LOL, not speaking out of personal experience but have a look at this website http://www.siammotorworld.com/carstock/ and take for instance the Mazda 3 from 2007, 6 years old, 80.000 KM and on sale for THB 499,000. while new it costs

THB 1064000 = THB 565,000.00 / 80.000 km =

THB 7,06 / km down the drain for depreciation only..

How about that 318i touring from 2006 with just 21.000 km's wink.png

I'm curious what car you bought for 800K that went for just 450K @ 5 years old?.....

I'm pretty sure Hyundai haven't had an entry price that low since the 90's tongue.png

Edited by sjonburi

It was answers like that I hoped for. Anyway my own cost pr. km is Thb 27,40 pr.km that include the initial car cost, annually fuel, oil, insurance,road tax and deprecation. It can seems high but as said I drive very little and to worse it get. When that's said I think a few others owning a relatively new medium standard car in Thailand can expect a real cost around the Thb 25,- mark pr.km and sure some higher.

I just re did mine with 100% loss and came to 6474.19 / yr. So not sure where your numbers are coming from. I drive mine for 4700 / yr. with it at a 100% loss it is 6474.19 / yr on a 10 year depreciation. Driving 50,000 km / yr. it comes to 12.9 cents / km. Or 3.99 baht / km. I keep immaculate records. and for the last 3.5 years it costs me 4700 dollars / yr. Or 9.4 cents / km which is 2.91 baht / km. And that cost would go down tremendously if I were to cut down on the km. Fuel cost at 30 baht / liter is my main enemy.

Personally I try to calculate all expenses before I buy.

27.4 baht / km. ?????? that is insane.

At 8000 km / yr that comes to $7,071 / yr... or $35,355 in 5 years.

No maintenance to speak of, only insurance and road tax. Depreciation will be very little in 5 years at 40,000 km. Diesel at 12 km/ liter is $645.16.

I would jump all over a vehicle like that.

LOL, I am out of here.

To all a good night and happy trails.

G

Edited by garyk

As for running costs, I would be guessing....probably 12k to 14k a year. I have 3+ insurance, change the oil and filter once a year, only had one tyre blow out and got a same type Bridgy S/H for a 1000 baht and the relay that operates power mirrors and cigarette lighter had to be replaced. Next year will cost more the air filter and fuel filters will be changed as well as oil and filter....plus the wiper blades.

Man that is music to my ears. Just for the heck of it, how many KM on the clock before you had to replace the clutch slav and master cylinder? Why did the radiator go out? I drive mine like a dog. And it still keeps on going.

LOL, yea, mine has a few of my own love marks on it. Easier for me to find in the parking lot. smile.png

The clutch master and slave cylinder lasted about 280,xxx km and the radiator went about 5 years ago when a seam split.with perhaps 175,xxx km on the clock.

I suppose I could have had it repaired but I was working at the time so I bought a new one.

If I had the money I would buy a new one but if I had real money I would love one of these.

A Ford F250 4 door 4x4.

post-5614-0-42098200-1377927302_thumb.jp

I've heard it said often that if you buy new, the best time to trade in again is just 3 yrs down the track. How does one work that out? (or whats it based on??)

Almost all cars have a 3-year/100,000km warranty so the three year mark is ideal for most owners. Honda and Toyota depreciate so little over that time that if you saved 1000-2000 baht per month as a 'depreciation' fund, you'd have enough to buy a brand new car when you sell up after three years.

Example; buy a new Honda City S for 559,000 cash in 2013, save 2,000 per month for 3 years and when you sell it for 500,000 in 2016 you'll have 572,000 to spend on a brand new car (more if you earn interest on your savings). For low-mileage drivers this is the perfect way to avoid having to worry about servicing and maintenance costs or warranty issues as everything is covered.

I would never own/use a motorbike in Thailand because of safety concerns alone. As the Thais say, with motos, skin covers metal, but with a car, metal covers skin!

In addition, driving a car, one is almost never stopped at police checkpoints as are moto drivers routinely.

There is also the comfort factor of a car, I.e. air conditioning and the fact that driving a moto is just so lo-so.

I would never own/use a motorbike in Thailand because of safety concerns alone. As the Thais say, with motos, skin covers metal, but with a car, metal covers skin!

In addition, driving a car, one is almost never stopped at police checkpoints as are moto drivers routinely.

There is also the comfort factor of a car, I.e. air conditioning and the fact that driving a moto is just so lo-so.

That is your opinion. I agree that I hardly never getting stopped in my truck compared to on my bikes.

I/we can't live without our vehicles here outside Pattaya, they are used everyday.

As late as yesterday we took the truck to the tiger zoo in SiRacha some 26 km from my house and my 4 year old son was having great fun and everybody was having a good day (I got in to Thai price due to Thai drivers licensesthumbsup.gif ).

The bikes are very handy for small errands around Pattaya, truck stuck in traffic and most of the time impossible to park unless you go to a big shopping center.

Owning a vehicle here are very cheap compared to Denmark, hell diesel are 1/2 price here compared to DK.

Sitting in your house/condo all day isn't much fun and I often take my pcx out for a ride just for getting out, well for a ride.

Oh, no, now we have farang with hi-so head-up-anusitis too... Go see a doctor, see if you can get it removed!

I wouldn't piss around San Francisco on a moto...why would I do it in Thailand, where its infinitely more dangerous?

Enjoy your moto...just be sure your medical insurance is in order as you'll need it.

That is your opinion. I agree that I hardly never getting stopped in my truck compared to on my bikes.

I/we can't live without our vehicles here outside Pattaya, they are used everyday.

As late as yesterday we took the truck to the tiger zoo in SiRacha some 26 km from my house and my 4 year old son was having great fun and everybody was having a good day (I got in to Thai price due to Thai drivers licensesthumbsup.gif ).

The bikes are very handy for small errands around Pattaya, truck stuck in traffic and most of the time impossible to park unless you go to a big shopping center.

Owning a vehicle here are very cheap compared to Denmark, hell diesel are 1/2 price here compared to DK.

Sitting in your house/condo all day isn't much fun and I often take my pcx out for a ride just for getting out, well for a ride.

I generally don't have trouble finding parking around town...stuck in traffice, I just listen to a podcast or tv show on my iPad in air conditioned comfort. Why should I care how long it takes to get anywhere, I'm retired and all I have is time.

Now I really feel lo so.....anyway seems like a prison life if asking me. Sometime group ride sometime solo but cycle 130 -150km on the roads here weekly. The funny thing is that one of the wealthiest Thais south of Bangkok and the wealthiest foreigner occasionally enjoy with us on the Sunday long ride smile.png

I just re did mine with 100% loss and came to 6474.19 / yr. So not sure where your numbers are coming from. I drive mine for 4700 / yr. with it at a 100% loss it is 6474.19 / yr on a 10 year depreciation. Driving 50,000 km / yr. it comes to 12.9 cents / km. Or 3.99 baht / km. I keep immaculate records. and for the last 3.5 years it costs me 4700 dollars / yr. Or 9.4 cents / km which is 2.91 baht / km. And that cost would go down tremendously if I were to cut down on the km. Fuel cost at 30 baht / liter is my main enemy.

Personally I try to calculate all expenses before I buy.

27.4 baht / km. ?????? that is insane.

At 8000 km / yr that comes to $7,071 / yr... or $35,355 in 5 years.

No maintenance to speak of, only insurance and road tax. Depreciation will be very little in 5 years at 40,000 km. Diesel at 12 km/ liter is $645.16.

I would jump all over a vehicle like that.

LOL, I am out of here.

To all a good night and happy trails.

G

Okay okay, I have cut corners and come to 17,8 Baht pr. Km and feel good with that. When that's said I quit sure that when selling after 5 year it have cost me near a million to own and operate. Then I can if the hidden deprecation in Thailand not surface and not the second hand car collapse probably sell for + THb 400000,-

• 2 months later...

Care to share which auction you bought from? I'm in the hunt for Vigo Double Cab or comparable? I'd also appreciate your feedback on how the pricing played out on your winning bid compared to a book value. Thoughts?

I've heard it said often that if you buy new, the best time to trade in again is just 3 yrs down the track. How does one work that out? (or whats it based on??)

Almost all cars have a 3-year/100,000km warranty so the three year mark is ideal for most owners. Honda and Toyota depreciate so little over that time that if you saved 1000-2000 baht per month as a 'depreciation' fund, you'd have enough to buy a brand new car when you sell up after three years.

Example; buy a new Honda City S for 559,000 cash in 2013, save 2,000 per month for 3 years and when you sell it for 500,000 in 2016 you'll have 572,000 to spend on a brand new car (more if you earn interest on your savings). For low-mileage drivers this is the perfect way to avoid having to worry about servicing and maintenance costs or warranty issues as everything is covered.

Only if you find someone stupid enough to pay 500,000 for a 3 year old car when they could buy new for 572,000.

Only if you find someone stupid enough to pay 500,000 for a 3 year old car when they could buy new for 572,000.

No way you'll get anywhere near those resales on a City anymore. All models that were eligible for the 1st car buyer scheme have plummeted in price.