Nazi Symbols...

btwretail

Why is it that Nazi-symbols are so popular here in Thailand? And why do most Thai people not understand these symbols makes some people sick and upset? Do they not learn anything in school?

During this week alone, I first notice a T-shirt at Siam Park with a Nazi Symbol. Next I accidentally came across this picture on this Facebook profile.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342982492499534&set=a.172914646172987.37304.100003633572739&type=1&theater

When confronting Thai-people I know about this, they do not seem to be specially bothered about it. I really get angry, when I see the ignorance in their eyes or their stupid smile, when asking if they do not understand that this symbol represents racism and hate. And furthermore it really is an insult to many people. Its like they just do not get it - even though they know their history and know who Hilter was.

They can deeply offend people and just laugh or smile... but if we do the same to them, they get very upset and angry. Its not like they don't know the feeling of getting offended, they just do not seem to really understand, that they are truly offending some people, by displaying Nazi-symbols.

I am sorry, but when it comes to this issue, I just totally do not understand Thai-people at all.

So to recap: here is the OP..

And a question for the OP..

What connection do you have to the Nazi movement during their reign?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that Nazi-symbols are so popular here in Thailand? And why do most Thai people not understand these symbols makes some people sick and upset? Do they not learn anything in school?

During this week alone, I first notice a T-shirt at Siam Park with a Nazi Symbol. Next I accidentally came across this picture on this Facebook profile.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342982492499534&set=a.172914646172987.37304.100003633572739&type=1&theater

When confronting Thai-people I know about this, they do not seem to be specially bothered about it. I really get angry, when I see the ignorance in their eyes or their stupid smile, when asking if they do not understand that this symbol represents racism and hate. And furthermore it really is an insult to many people. Its like they just do not get it - even though they know their history and know who Hilter was.

They can deeply offend people and just laugh or smile... but if we do the same to them, they get very upset and angry. Its not like they don't know the feeling of getting offended, they just do not seem to really understand, that they are truly offending some people, by displaying Nazi-symbols.

I am sorry, but when it comes to this issue, I just totally do not understand Thai-people at all.

So to recap: here is the OP..

And a question for the OP..

What connection do you have to the Nazi movement during their reign?

Answer 148 and I will be happy to answer your question...

Update: The answer to your question lies within my post no. 48. Now please give me a straight answer to post 148...

Edited by btwretail

Cant own land...cant own house....cant own anything of value. Have no rights....report every 90 days..( For foreigners in Thailand).

doesn't that sound like the Jews, under the Nazi's? ....sounds familiar doesn't it. The argument can go on and on....why bother, just enjoy what you have..

But I have to agree....the swastika is shaped slightly different to the Buddhist emblem used on grave sites and such, in Thailand...

Answer 148 and I will be happy to answer your question...

Update: The answer to your question lies within my post no. 48. Now please give me a straight answer to post 148...

Clearly you were dropped at birth...

And clearly you are not able to answer my simple question in post 148...

I can give you an opinion based on your question, but a definitive answer is not possible...

Many theories abound as to why "nazi-chic" is fashionable, the Thais couldn't give a shit and fair play to them for that if it is so. Nothing to do with being ignorant of the fact that what the symbolism of the nazi means.

Why did the dean of the school apologise? I honestly couldn't give a <deleted> myself, he may of thought it symbolic and the right thing to do. It was explained in his apology the reasoning behind the student art work.

But in the end, you don't know who you're directing your anger at, wannabe Thai farangs who sell themselves out or wannabe farang Thais who sell themselves out...

I can give you an opinion based on your question, but a definitive answer is not possible...

Many theories abound as to why "nazi-chic" is fashionable, the Thais couldn't give a shit and fair play to them for that if it is so. Nothing to do with being ignorant of the fact that what the symbolism of the nazi means.

Why did the dean of the school apologise? I honestly couldn't give a <deleted> myself, he may of thought it symbolic and the right thing to do. It was explained in his apology the reasoning behind the student art work.

But in the end, you don't know who you're directing your anger at, wannabe Thai farangs who sell themselves out or wannabe farang Thais who sell themselves out...

Found this interesting article, that actually shows Thailand is taking this serious, despite you personally not caring. Some very good arguments in there for why they should care.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/08/20138916509337563.html

Besides that, would you care if your kids graduation picture looked like the attached? Great picture to have on the living room wall right?

post-175642-0-80357800-1378044692_thumb.

Edited by btwretail
  • Like 1

Look at the mural.. Who's in it? 4 "super hero's" and charlie chaplin in a funny suit... Nothing out of the ordinary there...

And is it really any surprise that it was the Israeli Ambassador to Thailand and the Simon Wiesenthal Center who were interviewed for this piece of hard hitting journalism?

I'm surprised you haven't petitioned both of these to have General Motors banned due to their "SS" range of high performance vehicles in Chevrolet, Holden and Pontiac...