Nazi Symbols...

btwretail

Why is it that Nazi-symbols are so popular here in Thailand? And why do most Thai people not understand these symbols makes some people sick and upset? Do they not learn anything in school?

During this week alone, I first notice a T-shirt at Siam Park with a Nazi Symbol. Next I accidentally came across this picture on this Facebook profile.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342982492499534&set=a.172914646172987.37304.100003633572739&type=1&theater

When confronting Thai-people I know about this, they do not seem to be specially bothered about it. I really get angry, when I see the ignorance in their eyes or their stupid smile, when asking if they do not understand that this symbol represents racism and hate. And furthermore it really is an insult to many people. Its like they just do not get it - even though they know their history and know who Hilter was.

They can deeply offend people and just laugh or smile... but if we do the same to them, they get very upset and angry. Its not like they don't know the feeling of getting offended, they just do not seem to really understand, that they are truly offending some people, by displaying Nazi-symbols.

I am sorry, but when it comes to this issue, I just totally do not understand Thai-people at all.

post-175642-0-85657800-1377785437_thumb.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The swastika is actually an ancient Hindu symbol that the nazis appropriated, my guess would be that even though this looks a bit naziesque it's probably there as the Hindu symbol (which was subsequently adopted into Buddhism). If you go to bali there are swastikas everywhere

I know the history of the swastika, but what I am seeing is not it being used in a religious perspective. I am seeing a complete ignorant use of it, with sometimes pictures of Hitler too.

What I do not understand, is that they can not get into their thick sculls that this offends many people.... That is what I do not understand.

The swastika is actually an ancient Hindu symbol that the nazis appropriated, my guess would be that even though this looks a bit naziesque it's probably there as the Hindu symbol (which was subsequently adopted into Buddhism). If you go to bali there are swastikas everywhere

There's not very much hindu about it when combined with goosestepping, 'the' salute, boots, brown shirts and images of the moustached one.

I'm not saying those are not nazi swastikas, I'm saying that to Thais they probably have no idea of the nazi connotations, just the Hindu/Buddhist ones.

I believe there is a Hitler burger bar in LOS. Why choose the name Hitler, they must know the history to choose it, shock tactics for their yummy burgers perhaps, the ''l am tough, cool'' factor if you eat here. sad.png

Groundhog Day anyone? Surely this topic has been done to death on TV.

Well, sorry if this has been here before... This is my first post and I had no idea. This is just the one thing in Thailand that can truly piss me off. Especially because it makes Thai-people look extremely stupid - and when it comes to this, then they are!

Well, sorry if this has been here before... This is my first post and I had no idea. This is just the one thing in Thailand that can truly piss me off. Especially because it makes Thai-people look extremely stupid - and when it comes to this, then they are!

We prefer to say ignorant, not stupid. More polite, innit?

• Like 1

We've had some biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. on this topic in resent months. smile.png

We prefer to say ignorant, not stupid. More polite, innit?

When it comes to the display and use of Nazi symbols, I prefer stupid! :-) ... If you are ignorant, you remove the items, when you are informed of their meaning and that they offend many people. You don't just smile or laugh - that is only for stupid people... Just my opinion.

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote Fixed

To the OP ... btwretail ... we get you.

But that Thais don't care. I'm not say they should ... or should not care ... it's irrelevant what I think ... and fairly much irrelevant what you think also.

That comes from a News item not so long ago here on Thai Visa ... hitler-fashion-statements-confuse-offend-tourists-in-thailand/ just recently.

Starting a one man crusade to try and educate Thais and Thailand on how you perceive the atrocities of a megalomaniac half the world away and from a different generation will do nothing but give you migraines.

Many before you have tried.

If you would like to read any of the 20 or 30 threads about the same subject here on Thai Visa ... just click this link and it takes you to all the people who have written about this in the past. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nazi+swastika++http://www.thaivisa.com+site:www.thaivisa.com&biw=1024&bih=461

• Like 1

But that Thais don't care. I'm not say they should ... or should not care ... it's irrelevant what I think ... and fairly much irrelevant what you think also.

That comes from a News item not so long ago here on Thai Visa ... hitler-fashion-statements-confuse-offend-tourists-in-thailand/ just recently.

Starting a one man crusade to try and educate Thais and Thailand on how you perceive the atrocities of a megalomaniac half the world away and from a different generation will do nothing but give you migraines.

If you would like to read any of the 20 or 30 threads about the same subject here on Thai Visa ... just click this link and it takes you to all the people who have written about this in the past. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nazi+swastika++http://www.thaivisa.com+site:www.thaivisa.com&biw=1024&bih=461

Yeah, I know deep down, it helps nothing and Thais do not care...

It is like corruption, rich people getting away with crime etc... I just forgot for a moment I was in Thailand and got overrun by my western moral standards and upbringing :-) Need to get back into zombie-mode ;-)

Yeah, I know deep down, it helps nothing and Thais do not care...

It is like corruption, rich people getting away with crime etc... I just forgot for a moment I was in Thailand and got overrun by my western moral standards and upbringing :-) Need to get back into zombie-mode ;-)

There's no need to appear in your whiny cry baby mode. Just think for a moment would your western world care about the sensitivites of say ppl from asia? You would think it ridiculous that someone from a foreign country like say china could dare say it out loud and find it nuts that you should be sensitive to them so it applies the same way too. If it gives you any comfort it applies in most countries and hitler and the nazis are banned or discouraged in many other countries worldwide like virtually every western nation including aussie and NZ and probably countries like singapore, malaysia maybe african and islamic nations too i don't know so thailand is one of the minority countries that don;t care.

The one thing that does do my head in, is the neo-nazi scumbags in Russia, considering what that country went through in the Great Patriotic War it does take some level of ignorance / hatred to go around sieg heiling when the Fascist hordes butchered 15 - 20 million of your compatriots!

• Like 1