Motorcycle License ?

Manassas

I made a quick run into (formerly sleepy) Chiang Khong the other day. I was surprised to see a police roadblock checking all scooters and motorcycles. I've seen this in BKK and Chiang Mai, but never around CR. Luckily I was in a truck and was waived through.

I have an International Driving Permit for autos. But what are the practical rules for motorbikes? I know they check for helmets, which nobody stopped had, but what about license requirements for Thais and foreigners on motorbikes? My wife says she needs one (but doesn't have one) but that they will waive foreigners off because they don't want to hassle with the language barrier. Mai bpen rai...

What experience do people have with motorbike licenses (and police stops) in CR and surroundings? If a license is required, how does one go about getting one?

When I arrived in CR late last year, I had my Thai drivers license for auto but none for a motorbike. I did have my foreign drivers license which was still valid. While driving my motorcycle, I was stopped by the local police. I showed them my foreign drivers license which they looked at and, with a smile, they sent me on my way.

Since then I have secured my Thai motorcycle license and renewed my Thai auto license. The process for the cycle license was to sit through a few hours of driver safety and rules videos (in English), took the Thai eye and coordination exam, and then had to take a written (computer) test followed the next day by a driving test.

For the renewal of the Thai auto license, I had to watch some videos AGAIN after which I was given my renewal.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

i have licenses for , high crane (building over 20 stories) 50 ton forklift, truck , buses, light platform, car , but believe me I cannot ride a motorcycle . I just never have got on a motorcycle in all my life . Have had friends who had accidents and told me when drive a bike you will have a accident one day . Nearly brought one when I was 18 , it was a Harley with reverse gear with a side car .. i wanted it but could not afford it at that age .

• Like 1

When I arrived in CR late last year, I had my Thai drivers license for auto but none for a motorbike. I did have my foreign drivers license which was still valid. While driving my motorcycle, I was stopped by the local police. I showed them my foreign drivers license which they looked at and, with a smile, they sent me on my way.

Since then I have secured my Thai motorcycle license and renewed my Thai auto license. The process for the cycle license was to sit through a few hours of driver safety and rules videos (in English), took the Thai eye and coordination exam, and then had to take a written (computer) test followed the next day by a driving test.

For the renewal of the Thai auto license, I had to watch some videos AGAIN after which I was given my renewal.

Hope this helps!

When I went for my auto license in CR few years ago they sat me in front of the English video to watch...a countdown clock showed the video would last for about 45 minutes....I was the only falang there and after about ten minutes the guy comes back and tells me "finish"....thought I would then take the "reaction test" as there were lots of Thais doing that...but he just told me "no need" and sent me down for my photo and I was done. Who knows, maybe the guy didn't want to fool with the falang or needed to go for a snack or whatever. No complaints from me.

• Like 1

Hope this helps!

When I went for my auto license in CR few years ago they sat me in front of the English video to watch...a countdown clock showed the video would last for about 45 minutes....I was the only falang there and after about ten minutes the guy comes back and tells me "finish"....thought I would then take the "reaction test" as there were lots of Thais doing that...but he just told me "no need" and sent me down for my photo and I was done. Who knows, maybe the guy didn't want to fool with the falang or needed to go for a snack or whatever. No complaints from me.

Same same happened with me and yes no hassles just a bit of time only.

I always make every effort to obey the local traffic laws and will get a proper motorbike license asap. However, I didn't have one today when I had to go back to Chiang Khong on some business, this time on the bike. The checkpoint was there again. As I approached the officer I nodded and he smiled and gave me a big thumbs up. Apparently they were most concerned with enforcing the helmet laws, and I was wearing mine. It was quite funny to watch all the non-helmeted bike passengers leaping off and scurrying to the sidewalk before they got to the checkpoint.