Dozens hurt as Thai airliner hits turbulence

webfact

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wear my seatbelt for the full flight and make sure my family dos as well since one one flight we hit a pocket of turbulence and i found myself a good 30-40 cm airborne before my seat came back up at me. once was enough

If you were only 30-40 cm airborne your pilot was flying way too low, unless he has landing or taking off. whistling.gif

Refreshing to actually read about an airliner incident these days that can't be credited to the religion of peace. Hope they check the wings for cracking, weren't they already doing that straight out of the factory.

Don't worry, before this topic is over Buddhism will be blamed for it.

how about the ones leaving the " no smoking " sign on all the time?

If they switched off the "NO SMOKING" sign the Chinese guy sitting beside you would probably fire up a Marlboro !

And I never take any notice of whether the seatbelt sign is on or off, my seatbelt is always on while I am seated.

• Like 1

This airbus incident, there were 500 on board so these must be the Thais that cancelled the Europe trips and diverted to Asian destinations. UNLESS it was taking all those High end tourists back to China. Maybe some were early getting their overhead luggage down as the trend now is to start to get your bags on decent.

Yeah what is it with these people that do that? Ive seen this so many times as I fly a lot with work. One time the plane was taxiing to the gate just after landing, and an Arabic family were getting their bags down, the kid was about 4 years old and stood at the bulk head. Suddenly the Captain braked and the kid banged its head against the bulk head. The parents were comforting the kid and complaining to the airline staff. <deleted>? It was their stupid fault for not being sat down with their seat belts on.

Thanks, Took a little stick for my comments with other posters.

• Like 1

There is always a risk in flying , as there is always a risk I many of the things we are doing this day and tomorrow , and there is always a risk at being looked upon as being a goose when there is more than 2000 people viewing our comments ! go and look , not joking now , please look.

Unpacking the overheads minutes before touchdown is a signature move of one specific regional nationality!

Other are not filling in immigration forms and horking up lugies on the aircraft floor!

• Like 1

This airbus incident, there were 500 on board so these must be the Thais that cancelled the Europe trips and diverted to Asian destinations. UNLESS it was taking all those High end tourists back to China. Maybe some were early getting their overhead luggage down as the trend now is to start to get your bags on decent.

Why post the above?

Ridiculous nonsense!

Are you bored?

Looking for your intellectual comment on the topic ??? where is it ??

No nonsense in my remarks -over speculating -YES and some truth into passenger antics.

Get bored with people who attack others and not contribute to the topic.

• Like 1

I have only flown once into Chek Lap Kok and it was the most scariest landing I have ever experienced, I was seated near the rear on a 747 and on touchdown it just started to tail slap.

Yet done many uneventful landings at Kia Tak.

Hope all recover soon.

Do you think the injured read your post? I just don't see the point of such replies.

Basil's kind quote did seem somehat out-of-place in a thread so full of criticism. Yet, whether he realized the full effect of his feeling of compassion or not (perhaps simply replying spontneously, naturally), the energy behind his thought and words did go silently to the injured, and inspired some others reading here to send their own hopes, prayers, wishes, whether written or not.

• Like 2

This is the captain speaking, Soon we will be landing. Make sure you are seated, seat belts buckled, phones switched off until we come to a stand still.

THIS is a message for, unbuckle your seat belt, go for a pee and phone aaaaaaall the extended family your soon to arrive. sad.png

The captain should say, weeeeeeeeell, we are about to crash so fasten your seat belts, don't talk to folk you never talk to on your phone cos you are on an airplane, and your knickers are so soiled now a toilet is of no use. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Flying btw singapore and bkk always gets scary at some point. There are permanent rough patches in the skies.

Permanent rough patches in the skies, eh? Maybe it's God's psoriasis, or just a spot he forgot to sandpaper..

They'll need the same passenger restraints as are on the fairground rides. Some people just cannot or will not or don't want to pay any attention to anything a steward(ess) says unless it is to do with free booze, food or shopping. Unfortunately if you're sat near one of these idiots you end up with baggage raining down on you. :( I've had occasion to unbuckle, stand up and close the locker almost on their fingers while glaring a them. Doesn't always work, but it makes me feel better :D

• Like 1

Personally I usually leave the seat loosely done up most of the time, especially when I sleep. I've been through a couple of big 'drops' in the past and they aren't pleasant!

Thankfully this incident wasn't too serious, the injuries were comparatively minor and most importantly nobody up front fled the scene. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Personally I usually leave the seat loosely done up most of the time, especially when I sleep. I've been through a couple of big 'drops' in the past and they aren't pleasant!

Thankfully this incident wasn't too serious, the injuries were comparatively minor and most importantly nobody up front fled the scene. thumbsup.gif

Remember the old days, folks used to say, the pilot has a parachute in case of trouble he can go for help.

• Like 1

I flew a THAI A-380 this week for the first time. What I found interesting is that these planes have a shoulder harness tied into the regular seat belt...they want this used for take-off and landing. I am guessing some people don't realize the shoulder harness (which is uncomfortable) can be disconnected so some probably opted to use no seat belt at all except for take off and landing...hence the injuries.

as 1 poster has already stated about lining up at the door, pity the people injured as they most likely would have to wait for the plane to empty for medical treatment, I also leave my belt on loosely for the trip and wait until the plane is nearly empty before leaving my seat, that way I do not have to line up and 99% of the time walk straight off.

pleased that there was no serious injuries.

• Like 1

It is encouraging that the usual suspects on TV have managed to broaden their horizons - although unfortunately not their knowledge.

I haven't had time to check, but I suspect that many of the same FBI/CSI/NCIS/Flying Squad/SAS/Navy Seal et al types here have now become aviation incident experts.

Hopefully they will quickly get their focus back on the main game, otherwise how will a single crime in Thailand be solved in the next few months. wink.png

It is encouraging that the usual suspects on TV have managed to broaden their horizons - although unfortunately not their knowledge.

I haven't had time to check, but I suspect that many of the same FBI/CSI/NCIS/Flying Squad/SAS/Navy Seal et al types here have now become aviation incident experts.

Hopefully they will quickly get their focus back on the main game, otherwise how will a single crime in Thailand be solved in the next few months. wink.png

Hmmmmm, you've never flown eh. coffee1.gif , can be fun, must admit a bag on my head on touch down was a bit annoying, and so many folk on their phones caused our ride to land in India, but other than that fine, though the doggy bag thing was a little, hmmmmm, shall we say, not necessary as the dog was now a zillion miles away. coffee1.gif .........................smile.png .

Hmmmmm, you've never flown eh. coffee1.gif ,

Nope - I caught a bus from Oz to Thailand when I came to live here. rolleyes.gif

Edited by jackspratt

Hmmmmm, you've never flown eh. coffee1.gif ,

Nope - I caught a bus from Oz to Thailand when I came to live here. rolleyes.gif

Long-tail bus ? :)

Wishing a quick recovery to the crew.

As for the passengers, I bet those injured did not fasten their seat belts. This is beyond me. I don't feel sorry for them.

That is an assumption I can not agree with, quite often people are hurt by things flying around the cabin, things falling out of overhead lockers, loose articles in the cabin and persons not strapped in.

Personally I would like to see electric locking on overhead lockers, so after the FA's do their final checks the overhead lockers can not be opened until the plane is on the stand and it is safe to do so.

• Like 1