British student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger in Thailand at popular tourist attraction

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guilty.......Went there in 2007 with my soon to be wife. The one near Kanchanaburi. The whole time I was there I was praying for two things. One, that the tigers didn't smell the fear on me, and two, that they didn't think that I smelled really, really good. Normally I make it a point to try and keep myself in circumstances where I am on top of the food chain, but in a moment of weakness I decided to take a trip there and experience it for myself. It is the most scared I have ever been in my life, at least from a physical threat standpoint. I knew that one day I would hear of someone being attacked there.....I knew that their guarantee of safety because they raised them meant absolutely nothing but I was stupid enough to do it anyway. I'm just very glad we didn't become lunch for one of them!!!!!!!!

Really, if she can get away with this stupid behavior she should try to cross a street in BKK blindfolded next time. it looks like the brains stay at home if tourists leave for vacation.....

In most cases, that's the point of going on vacation...to give the brain a break eh. Crossing BBk streets wouldn't be a problem, if they use the crosswalks, and at least Thailand has them. Try giving Vietnam a try sometime, that will make you wish you used your brain before you booked the trip. Lol

I certainly hope more people don't get mauled, in an effort to bring more attention to the dangers of being within reach of a drugged Tiger. Let's just pray people take notice, and stay away from the tigers. Pictures in the area of a wild animal is exciting enough, no. Do we really need to be in the cage with them?

'Holiday of a lifetime'

'Deadly animal'

'Leapt into'

'Sank teeth'

'Scarred for life'

Gotta love the British Daily Mail for its trashy and sensationalist reporting eh? And people actually buy this paper more than any other except the equally awful Sun.

granted the Daily mail on the same level as the The times, but what in anything you quoted is not factually correct ?

So let me guess. You are British and The Daily is British, so no matter how asinine the mag is, you're going to defend it because...it's British and it's the British thing to do.

Yea, got it.

Guilty.......Went there in 2007 with my soon to be wife. The one near Kanchanaburi. The whole time I was there I was praying for two things. One, that the tigers didn't smell the fear on me, and two, that they didn't think that I smelled really, really good. Normally I make it a point to try and keep myself in circumstances where I am on top of the food chain, but in a moment of weakness I decided to take a trip there and experience it for myself. It is the most scared I have ever been in my life, at least from a physical threat standpoint. I knew that one day I would hear of someone being attacked there.....I knew that their guarantee of safety because they raised them meant absolutely nothing but I was stupid enough to do it anyway. I'm just very glad we didn't become lunch for one of them!!!!!!!!

You seem to have passed that test.

It would seem that most of these tigers have been rescued as cubs when the mother has been killed by traders selling the bits.

They have been raised by people and therefore have no fear of people nor are they able to fend for themselves in the wild.

If they were released back into the wild they would either starve or seek out human habitation and very likely kill people as easy prey.

However that does not excuse them being used for profit.

I have been to the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi and as well as the entry fee everything is charged for.

The place was full of tourists with a big line up waiting to go touch and have their photo taken with the comatose tigers.

That place must take in a huge amount of money each day.

Would never go back and would advise others not to go.

'Holiday of a lifetime'

'Deadly animal'

'Leapt into'

'Sank teeth'

'Scarred for life'

Gotta love the British Daily Mail for its trashy and sensationalist reporting eh? And people actually buy this paper more than any other except the equally awful Sun.

granted the Daily mail on the same level as the The times, but what in anything you quoted is not factually correct ?

So let me guess. You are British and The Daily is British, so no matter how asinine the mag is, you're going to defend it because...it's British and it's the British thing to do.

Yea, got it.

Comrade,

No not wholly British and havent been to blighty in over 20 years, BTW the Daily mail is not a mag...its a news paper, and not defending anything poster gaves examples of " trashy and sensationalist reporting" and I was querying why these were examples of "sensationalist reporting" and pointed out what he quoted appears to be factual....rolleyes.gif

uh uh. time to up the dose huh?

even my white flurry house cat gave me love bites time to time, let alone having strangers caressing her

The keeper was fast asleep nearby so perhaps they got their food mixed up!

Enjoying the trip of a lifetime to Thailand, university student Isabelle Brennan strokes a young tiger at a popular tourist attraction – one of the few places in the world where you can pet the deadly animals while they sleep.

But just minutes after a photo was taken, another 400lb tiger leapt into the frame, knocking the 19-year-old to the ground with its paw and sinking its teeth into her thigh.

‘I feel lucky to be alive. Everything happened so fast. One minute I was petting a tiger’s back, the next it turned its head and knocked me to the ground with its paw.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407513/Student-19-mauled-400lb-tiger-Thailand-popular-tourist-attraction.html#ixzz2dW9UPgzd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Can some one please explain to me which bloody tiger attacked this girl?????

it looks like the brains stay at home if tourists leave for vacation.....

A bit like the brains stay at home behaviour exhibited by personages living in Thailand who profess not to be tourists on vacation, but "residents" you mean ?

This may have not been the smartest move, but are you suggesting all accountability is on this girl ?

The tiger temple has a great deal of accoutability in this case... for encouraging the girl to do this, for a fee, I assume

Having been to the tiger temple, there is "hard selling" by people at the temple for tourists to get their photo's taken simply because they are making money out it, so they are going to tell somebody anything to get their hands on the cash...

these are wild animals and the temple should not even encourage this...

Yes, the accountability is 100% on the girl. If people like her did not go to the temple then these tiger shows would not exist. Nobody is forced to buy. In fact, if you don't go then you do not face any "hard selling" at all. End of problem.

Good. Irresponsible tourist received a lesson in the results of animal cruelty.

Oh sure, some will say, I'm insensitive and harsh, but a socially conscious person does not support these tiger temples.

The monks are hucksters. If Thailand's ministry had any semblance of morality, it would close these temples of deceit and abuse down. The tax department would also come and visit the temples and audit the business people posing as monks.

For a change I'm nearly with you on this, it's disgusting what these PERSONS get up to just for money, plain greed, nothing more.

I wound suggest they look at Longleat Park,U.K. for space and habitat. You drive through to view NOT to fondle. If you want a place to be as natural as possible then this is an example.

If the animals cannot be returned to the wild, use a place like this to let kids see and be educated about these super animals.

A bit like the brains stay at home behaviour exhibited by personages living in Thailand who profess not to be tourists on vacation, but "residents" you mean ?

This may have not been the smartest move, but are you suggesting all accountability is on this girl ?

The tiger temple has a great deal of accoutability in this case... for encouraging the girl to do this, for a fee, I assume

Having been to the tiger temple, there is "hard selling" by people at the temple for tourists to get their photo's taken simply because they are making money out it, so they are going to tell somebody anything to get their hands on the cash...

Yes, the accountability is 100% on the girl. If people like her did not go to the temple then these tiger shows would not exist. Nobody is forced to buy. In fact, if you don't go then you do not face any "hard selling" at all. End of problem.

Of course you can use that rational, but one could also suggest if there were no tigers left in the world, one wouldnt get bitten either..end of problem also...so your suggesting the tiger temple has no degree of accountability in this at all ?

And of course reading the article the temple concerned has paid for her medical treatment as suggested, they have already accpeted some of the accountability anyway but virtue of picking up the hosptial bill..

Of course you can use that rational, but one could also suggest if there were no tigers left in the world, one wouldnt get bitten either..end of problem also...so your suggesting the tiger temple has no degree of accountability in this at all ?

And of course reading the article the temple concerned has paid for her medical treatment as suggested, they have already accpeted some of the accountability anyway but virtue of picking up the hosptial bill..

The thread isn't about tigers in the wild, it's about a scam set up by monks of all people, to enslave wild animals so that tourists pay a hefty fee to have their picture taken with them.

And if people didn't support these scams then there would no need for the temple to pay for medical treatment when the enslaved animals bite back.

The problem exists solely with those who create the demand, ie the tourists.

• Like 1

It can never be overstated....Captive wild animals and humans never mix well. Especially those with teeth, claws and tusks designed to maim and kill. As far as I know, these animals can strike at any possible moment. This could be a result of stress, sickness, hunger, or even just a bad toothache. Cases of elephant and crocodile attacks have also been in the news, along with this tiger attack. It's up to us humans to understand the importance of maintaining a safe distance, and stop trusting these numb nuts who say wild animals in captivity are tame and safe to handle.

• Like 1

I don't fault the young lady for taking the chance of petting a tiger. It wasn't the tiger she was petting that attacked her, rather a rogue cat who was probably jealous of the attention.

"Jealous"....lol.

She was food!

or the cubs mother

My wife and I had our photos taken sitting alongside a tiger at Nong Nooch. It took a while to persuade us and several others watched us before following suit. The tiger was obviously drugged although it's handler said he wasn't but what I remember most was he how solid he was. I was expecting cat like sinew and muscle under the fur but he was like concrete. The thought of one of those beauties attacking you is scary enough to never make me do it again.

This lady wasn't so lucky during here tiger photo session:

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/37263/tiger-attacks-thai-customer-at-pattaya-crocodile-farm/

I went to the Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi, and I noticed that only farang would go close to the tigers. The Thai visitors stayed away. I thought to myself, the Thais know tigers better than me - I stayed close to the Thais.

Not sure I'd stay close to these Thais!!!! 5555

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E851XfvDiXE

Pretty sick video.

In case anyone forgot...Certain animals were meant to be in a particular environment. It is only by human interaction that animals are brought outside of those environments. Why the great shock when they behave in their normal manner. Did someone expect a tiger to act like a monk just because it was in a temple sanctuary.

Of course it would be interesting to see a tiger riding in one of its 20 luxury cars, and only a 14 year old girl would have to worry about being pounced uponwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

And to see what the Baby would look like - no problem with DNA then?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Good. Irresponsible tourist received a lesson in the results of animal cruelty.

Oh sure, some will say, I'm insensitive and harsh, but a socially conscious person does not support these tiger temples.

The monks are hucksters. If Thailand's ministry had any semblance of morality, it would close these temples of deceit and abuse down. The tax department would also come and visit the temples and audit the business people posing as monks.

For a change I'm nearly with you on this, it's disgusting what these PERSONS get up to just for money, plain greed, nothing more.

I wound suggest they look at Longleat Park,U.K. for space and habitat. You drive through to view NOT to fondle. If you want a place to be as natural as possible then this is an example.

If the animals cannot be returned to the wild, use a place like this to let kids see and be educated about these super animals.

Well, nice idea, but have you ever been to the Thai 'equivalent' just outside of Bangkok .... ?

she signed a waiver before entering the compound accepting all responsibility herself and then complains - she violated the Buddha Contract designed to protect the Thai Buddha Business of tiger farming in temples and charging foreigners to see their tiger farms - why she sign for Buddha then complain is strange