Best Chinese Restaurant in Chiang Mai? For SiChuan. For BeiJing. No GuangDong This Time, Pls.

OldChinaHam

I know what you mean. Some Thai (perhaps Chinese Thai influence) soups are similar. But an American-Canadian-Cantonese style wor won ton is different than that. The broth is different. Some of the common ingredients are different. You'd know that if you had eaten both. Chinese Thai is not the same thing as American Chinese, etc. Many countries have variations of Chinese food. Personally I can live without American Chinese wor wonton but for someone who really needs it, the Thai style similar soups might be close but nowhere near a cigar. Cheers.

A restaurant COULD rather easily do this American/Canadian/Chinese dish in Thailand. Just not aware of any who do that and don't think there would be a big demand anyway.

+1

Nothing here is like the Cantonese soup sold in the USA and Canada (as well as Europe).

Have you guys been to the Taiwanese restaurant and the Chinese restaurant across from the CMU entrance on Huay Kaew?

Can you give a little info about the Chinese restaurant across from CMU? Can't picture it. Always willing to try different Chinese places. Thanks.

Taiwanese place I didn't like. Went about 4 times over the years always hoping the time before was an off night. I think the woman was married to a Taiwanese man at one time or something. I'm pretty sure that is what she told me. Really the only connection to anything Taiwanese. People in the kitchen are young Thai kids doing the cooking or possibly even Burmese.

The older Taiwanese gentleman is no longer there, that woman is not the one that was married to him (she was hot). The taiwanese man was here to teach the hilltribes how to farm when they were eradicating opium and replaced with regular crops, he was a very nice person and was recruited by the Thai government or sent by Taiwan, he use to always give me free cucumber salad and hot tea :) .There are only two dishes i get when i go there, the boiled dumplings and the dry noodles with ground pork and tofu. Everything else is mediocre since he is no longer around, but the dry taiwanese noodles are addictive, nothing else like it in CNX for the texture.

The Chinese place is literally across from the CMU entrance, last time i was there, there were real chinese people eating dinner and were speaking chinese to the owner. Dumpling skins there are thicker and the filling is firmer (tougher than taiwanese place). I also had the yang chow fried rice and it was pretty much chinese style (not soggy thai style). Prices were relatively reasonable 60-150 bahtish range.

Edited by KRS1

I have had much better Chinese food in America than Thailand. You can eat almost any cuisine that you want in USA, so not sure why you were eating "glop".

I have eaten at many Chinese restaurants in the Virginia and Washington DC area. Excellent food. I would consider Chinese food in CM to be glop compared to them.

• Like 2

War or Wor wonton soup with the works ...

Canadian and American in old style Cantonese places.

Not "authentic".

You won't find in Thailand.

Comfort food. Nothing wrong with it!

I could go for a bowl right now. licklips.gif

attachicon.gifwar-wonton-soup.jpg

I think it was invented by some Geordie Chinese in Newcastle ,Stowell Street, Hence

the name Wor Wonton Soup,

Well anything is possible.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

The only place on the planet i've found proper Chinese food is China. Every other country i've ever been to has so called 'Chinese' tailored to local taste....including Thailand. Indeed; most 'Chinese Restaurants' i have been into here serve up food little different to the local kit.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. Some Thai (perhaps Chinese Thai influence) soups are similar. But an American-Canadian-Cantonese style wor won ton is different than that. The broth is different. Some of the common ingredients are different. You'd know that if you had eaten both. Chinese Thai is not the same thing as American Chinese, etc. Many countries have variations of Chinese food. Personally I can live without American Chinese wor wonton but for someone who really needs it, the Thai style similar soups might be close but nowhere near a cigar.

A restaurant COULD rather easily do this American/Canadian/Chinese dish in Thailand. Just not aware of any who do that and don't think there would be a big demand anyway.

Or for that matter Thai Chinese.

We have all ready been through the what country on another thread.

The chances of finding it here are next to zero. It is hard enough to find a Chinese restaurant here.

If a person wants authentic food from a certain local there best chance of getting it is to go there.

For instance I know pizza cqame from Greece but when I get back to Canada I am going to look up an authentic Canadian Pizza as I know there won't be a Greek one there well the one I have in mind has Feta cheese on it.

Then, what you are saying, so far, is that there are no good Chinese restaurants in Chiang Mai?

Actually, I suspect this might be true since I have a number of Chinese friends who recently arrived and even they do not seem to eat in Chinese restaurants here.

And, I do not absolutely need to have Chinese food while here, but it sure would have been nice to know of just one that had good authentic Chinese food.

I bet there is at least one Chiang Mai restaurant which serves up a mean bowl of Dan-Dan mian, if someone would just tell me where.

What you say about Chinese food in America is true. In California and in New York, it is easy to get Chinese food that is the same, sometimes better, than what you might find in Beijing or Chengdu or Chongqing.

Glop? Beef Glop is my word for what the big chains use to make hamburgers and other meat products. It is some type of goo or something made from otherwise inedible parts of the cow. There was some discussion about this product in the news recently in many countries. There is no need, as you say, for Americans to eat glop in Thailand, or in America, but Americans love the glop at McD. Here in Chiang Mai, Thailand, McD is no where in sight, very often. So this is a good thing. If you like glop, then more power to you. I will be the last one to object to your eating it.

You have been led down the trail of misdirection. In America the beef in the McD is of the highest quality. I really can't imagine the company changing their standards here. Of course high quality beef here could be a different quality. It would still be quality beef.

Funny you should mention Chinese food I have been wondering where their was a restaurant with War Won Ton soup. Or is that just some Canadian glob.

Yes it is indeed high quality.

and guess where the minced beef comes from?

The US is Australia's second largest beef export market (in terms of volume), with shipments in 2012 reaching 224,111 tonnes swt, valued at about A$1 billion FOB.

I understand that McD's use Aussie minced beef in their hamburgers, and the US lean beef is no doubt kept for the dinner table. wai2.gif

The older Taiwanese gentleman is no longer there, that woman is not the one that was married to him (she was hot). The taiwanese man was here to teach the hilltribes how to farm when they were eradicating opium and replaced with regular crops, he was a very nice person and was recruited by the Thai government or sent by Taiwan, he use to always give me free cucumber salad and hot tea smile.png .There are only two dishes i get when i go there, the boiled dumplings and the dry noodles with ground pork and tofu. Everything else is mediocre since he is no longer around, but the dry taiwanese noodles are addictive, nothing else like it in CNX for the texture.

The Chinese place is literally across from the CMU entrance, last time i was there, there were real chinese people eating dinner and were speaking chinese to the owner. Dumpling skins there are thicker and the filling is firmer (tougher than taiwanese place). I also had the yang chow fried rice and it was pretty much chinese style (not soggy thai style). Prices were relatively reasonable 60-150 bahtish range.

Interesting. I think I first went there in 2008 and as far back as then don't remember an older Taiwanese gentleman ever being around. Always the tall Thai woman with the now grown up kids (who, if that is who you mean, looks like she was probably hot 20 years ago). Maybe she said that she lived in Taiwan at one time. I spoke with her a few times and she had some connection to Taiwan.

I'll give the Chinese place a try. Thanks for that.

The older Taiwanese gentleman is no longer there, that woman is not the one that was married to him (she was hot). The taiwanese man was here to teach the hilltribes how to farm when they were eradicating opium and replaced with regular crops, he was a very nice person and was recruited by the Thai government or sent by Taiwan, he use to always give me free cucumber salad and hot tea smile.png .There are only two dishes i get when i go there, the boiled dumplings and the dry noodles with ground pork and tofu. Everything else is mediocre since he is no longer around, but the dry taiwanese noodles are addictive, nothing else like it in CNX for the texture.

Interesting. I think I first went there in 2008 and as far back as then don't remember an older Taiwanese gentleman ever being around. Always the tall Thai woman with the now grown up kids (who, if that is who you mean, looks like she was probably hot 20 years ago). Maybe she said that she lived in Taiwan at one time. I spoke with her a few times and she had some connection to Taiwan.

I'll give the Chinese place a try. Thanks for that.

After they moved the place down the road behind nakorn ping, i havent seen him around. I saw him there almost everytime i went to the old location (3 years ago). Sitting outside smoking, if you didnt speak to him, youd think he was thai.

The only place on the planet i've found proper Chinese food is China. Every other country i've ever been to has so called 'Chinese' tailored to local taste....including Thailand. Indeed; most 'Chinese Restaurants' i have been into here serve up food little different to the local kit.

It would be boring if everyone agreed about what food is best. I'm by no means an expert on Chinese food, but I find that I enjoy Chinese food in Singapore and Hong Kong much more than I enjoy Chinese food in China.

• Like 1

Many chefs left Hong Kong for Vancouver, Melbourne and Sydney when the Brits were leaving Hong Kong. As a result the Cantonese cuisine is superb in those cities. Sometimes the local produce adds to the experience. A case in point would be Vietnamese Pho in Australia with the excellent beef.

• Like 1

McDonalds until very recently (when outed) used beef trimmings treated with Ammonia Hydroxide in their burgers.

Is Ammonia Hydroxide considered to be less healthy than beef?

No. You are right, I think. It is not the Ammonia Hydroxide which is bad, it is the bad beef cuts they use the AH on.

Also, AH is used to make "ammoniated straw" for cow consumption.

This is why I do not like the Chain hamburgers in the US, or anywhere else. If I make my own, then I use good quality beef that I grind myself, which is very tasty and not glop, at all.

MSG is also not a problem for me, as long as I do not take too much of it.

If you start with first class high quality food ingredients, then you do not need chemicals, including MSG, to prepare very flavorful food of high quality.

Probably someone should just hire a good Chinese cook and then invite paying friends to share the meal.

That is what is done for weddings and other gatherings, such as company new year celebrations.

Just hire a cook and helpers whenever you want a first class meal.

Now, though, we still need 3 first class Chinese restaurants in CM.

Hmmmm.