English Man Arrested After Allegedly Spraying Songkran Revelers With Harmful Chemicals Instead Of Water

Jai Dee

Before Noel asks, I'm sticking my nose in here to see how the other half lives. :D

Enjoy yourself single handed if you must, but don't make a mess!

kle445y.jpg:D

Do you happen to work in a financial institution perchance...? :o

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see a foreigner doing such a thing. I think a bad reaction to the water. Christ from the photos, barely see anything wrong with those whinging. We had a thread when someone actually tested the water and bloody hel_l it was full of contaminents straight from the spicket.
What sort of bullshit statement is that :o

<deleted> me, up here in the reasonably quite region of Isaan I witnessed a farang throw a full bucket of water over a Thai on the back of a pickup, obviously carrying rice, begging him not to do so. The shit-head did it anyway.

Participating in an event or festival is a good thing. To become malicious with it is a different thing altogether. Anything that is done in sport to hurt or purposely anger or injure another is wrong, that behavior shouldn't be condoned by anyone. Forget the "We as Farang" or "They as Thai" should put a stop to it, We as human beings should stop that kind of behavior everytime we see it, to laugh about it, joke about it or ag it on makes us as guilty as those that do it.

It's unfair to blame the festival for the actions of a FEW miscreants any event or holiday can be perverted by anyone. Heck! Christmas could be perverted, someone could send our head home in a box to our families as a gift. We need to stop defending the actions of others just because we're Farangs, or because we've been wronged in some other fashion. I'll just about bet that for every bad thing that has happened to us in Thailand, there are probably 100 good things that happened that we don't talk about. Thailand is a great country to be in, that's why we're here, for all it's faults, there's no place I'd rather live. We need to protect what we've grown to care about and try to get rid of all the negative views that we've allowed to flourish. Our inaction only allows negative views to perpetuate. It's not whining to give a $#it and want to correct bad behavior. It's foolish to think that it will stop all by itself. I've met plenty of teenagers that acted as juvenile delinquents that responded well to a well placed foot in their Arse. Hooting and Hollering doesn't make the bad behavior stop, actioins do.

Participating in an event or festival is a good thing. To become malicious with it is a different thing altogether. Anything that is done in sport to hurt or purposely anger or injure another is wrong, that behavior shouldn't be condoned by anyone. Forget the "We as Farang" or "They as Thai" should put a stop to it, We as human beings should stop that kind of behavior everytime we see it, to laugh about it, joke about it or ag it on makes us as guilty as those that do it.

It's unfair to blame the festival for the actions of a FEW miscreants any event or holiday can be perverted by anyone. Heck! Christmas could be perverted, someone could send our head home in a box to our families as a gift. We need to stop defending the actions of others just because we're Farangs, or because we've been wronged in some other fashion. I'll just about bet that for every bad thing that has happened to us in Thailand, there are probably 100 good things that happened that we don't talk about. Thailand is a great country to be in, that's why we're here, for all it's faults, there's no place I'd rather live. We need to protect what we've grown to care about and try to get rid of all the negative views that we've allowed to flourish. Our inaction only allows negative views to perpetuate. It's not whining to give a $#it and want to correct bad behavior. It's foolish to think that it will stop all by itself. I've met plenty of teenagers that acted as juvenile delinquents that responded well to a well placed foot in their Arse. Hooting and Hollering doesn't make the bad behavior stop, actions do.

here we go...we've heard all these moans and whines and complaints a thousand times. All from miserable farangs who begrudge the Thais their bit of fun. Sure some go over the top - but that will happen any time anywhere in the world where you have a big festival and booze flows.

Why don't you bugger off if you don't like it?

so because you dont like something you have to bugger off. How childish.

As many Thais will tell you the songkran festival has little to do with what actually takes place. It has become the norm to behave this way which you obviously like and says alot about your mentality, but just because it is like this doesnt actually mean it is the correct behaviour.

Those ignorant enough to think something shouldnt change because it has always been the way really dont know much about Thai culture but are always the first to jump on the lets not slag off the Thai culture bandwagon

I don't see what's childish about being told to bugger off. If you don't like it - bugger off - what's wrong with that? It may surprise you to know that I personally don't enjoy the water throwing much, so I bugger off - to my home , and let the mayhem go on around me.

However my family, both Thai and from England abslolutely love it and they have a great time, so they don't bugger off.

Maybe I don't know much about Thai culture, but after over 30 years of working, living in and visiting Thaialnd I reckon I might just know almost as much as the almighty - he who knows everything - Mr DUMPSTER

It may also surprise you to know that I lived for long periods in Bang Saen and got to know a wide cross section of the Thai Community there; lawyers, dentists, doctors, university professors, Government officials, local traders, shop workers, labourers etc etc. I never heard anyone say a bad word or complain iin any way about the Songkran festivities. They all loved it and looked forward to it every year. I have also just questioned my Thai wife and my daughter visiting from England, who spent some 10 hours in Bang Saen this year celebrating, and they didn't observe any of the excesses that you complain about in your post.

BTW who are you to say what is 'The correct way' to behave in Thailand?

Are you th guardian of Thai culture and morals? :D

Just wondering. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

a bit far fatched for me

out of all the people expelling water from thier chosen weapons how did they manage to single out this guy

it is said a young thai boy got a SLIGHT burn thought to have come from the weapon

if it was a chemical that gives out only a slight discomfort it would not be an immediate rection unless it was of stronger concentration and where are all the rest of the victims or did this guy have a hit list of a ten year old and a norwegian and only shoot them. he must have been accurate with his gun.

Well I for one am keeping an open mind on this one.....It could well have been contaminated water which was used quite innocently.

It`s not long ago that we were hearing reports in the press about people getting burned and stung in their homes by the water coming out of the taps....could be same same.

If anyone knows the truth about this incident please let us know. :o

I got shouted out of sight way back in this thread when I mentioned how good the fun was in Bang Saen. I've enjoyed several Songkrans there, and this year my gang from Sa Kaeo and my daughter and husband went there and had an incredible time. No swaggering drunken farangs, no malice, just good old fashioned fun. Even the cops join in and get soaked for their pains. (maybe this should be in the good news thread? :o )

Question: How come most Thais just laugh and have a good time when drunk, and most Brits become threatening and violent?

I have to disagree. For 5 days you have hordes of drunken sexually frustrated guys running around in packs, like sex starved dogs, trying to touch as many girls as they can. Bang Saen is an awful place to be for Songkran. The reason you see no farangs is because they all leave. Only idiots get involved in this pathetic waste of a natural resource. This activity has nothing to do with songkran.

Hmm? I dispute your logic they are probably less sex starved than they have been in their entire lives -- this probably fuels the mayhem-- sex no problem at night--- we can be hooligans during the day.

I don't see what's childish about being told to bugger off. If you don't like it - bugger off - what's wrong with that? It may surprise you to know that I personally don't enjoy the water throwing much, so I bugger off - to my home , and let the mayhem go on around me.

However my family, both Thai and from England abslolutely love it and they have a great time, so they don't bugger off.

Maybe I don't know much about Thai culture, but after over 30 years of working, living in and visiting Thaialnd I reckon I might just know almost as much as the almighty - he who knows everything - Mr DUMPSTER

It may also surprise you to know that I lived for long periods in Bang Saen and got to know a wide cross section of the Thai Community there; lawyers, dentists, doctors, university professors, Government officials, local traders, shop workers, labourers etc etc. I never heard anyone say a bad word or complain iin any way about the Songkran festivities. They all loved it and looked forward to it every year. I have also just questioned my Thai wife and my daughter visiting from England, who spent some 10 hours in Bang Saen this year celebrating, and they didn't observe any of the excesses that you complain about in your post.

BTW who are you to say what is 'The correct way' to behave in Thailand?

Are you the guardian of Thai culture and morals?

Well Mr Mobi, let me bow down to you.

Of course one has to choose his words when he is speaking to a longtime ex pat. Now my mere 4 years here is only a dot compared to your 30, I assume you like to use that number alot to put some kind of credability to your words. Of course one could have been here for 50 years but if their head has been up the ass for most of that it doesnt really say alot does it.

Now that said, I have yet to come across a Thai who would dare say a bad thing about any aspect of Thai culture, especially to a farang. It's not the done thing, is it?

As for your wife and daughter not observing what I described, well maybe that's due to the fact that they didnt want to see it, one can become immune to certain things if they choose to do so or maybe this behaviour is now considered the norm. I found most decent self respecting women dont take part in these events anyway, its mainly a teenage / young adult thing. Most of the adults taking part, one would say, are the less educated members of society, dont you think?

Well, I saw it and that is good enough for me and I also saw it last year and of course what I consider unacceptable behaviour another might see as fun. Each to their own and as you say one can bugger off if one doesnt like it.

However, I dont agree with the behaviour at songkran and if that labels me a whinner then so be it, I'm happy to be that whiner. Hopefully the Thai people will make changes to their festival as they see fit. But as long as it is seen as a money making event, hence the 2 extra days in Bangsaen and Pattaya, the festival will only continue to become a debauchery. If that's good for the people then so be it. Unfortunately money will always come before decency and Pattaya and decency are words not often used in the same sentence

So when the water runs dry and you turn on your taps and nothing comes out remember those 5 days with enjoyment, smile and say to yourself, well it is worth being without water because so many people had such a great time.

Edited by DUMPSTER

Well Mr Mobi, let me bow down to you.

Thank you, but that won't be necessary. I'm just another humble farang. :o

Now that said, I have yet to come across a Thai who would dare say a bad thing about any aspect of Thai culture, especially to a farang. It's not the done thing, is it?

Depends on the relationships you have developed with your Thai friensds, and whether you speak Thai. Going back to my Bang Saen days, one of my friends, a dentist in his seventies, would host weekend get togethers at his Thai house, and Thais from all walks of life would come along to enjoy the food and drink and indulge in stimulating conversation. On many occasions Thai culture and aspects of living in Thailand were discussed, and where appropriate crititised. During Songkran we would obviously discuss the annual festivities. Many - young and old would always plan to participate. No one critisised the event. I also have a circle of friends in Bkk that include many well educated, working Thais, and we still have lunchtime get togethers when the subject of Thailand and Thai culture frequently is diuscussed. I don't recall the Thais holding back on their criticisms.

Most of the adults taking part, one would say, are the less educated members of society, dont you think?

No I don't, as I have testified above, but even if that elitist statement were true, so what? Are you denying the millions of poor in this country a few days of fun?

hopefully the Thai people will make changes to their festival as they see fit.

I doubt they will change it, just because a few farangs are at outraged at the alleged debauchery!!!

So when the water runs dry and you turn on your taps and nothing comes out remember those 5 days with enjoyment, smile and say to yourself, well it is worth being without because so many people had such a great time.

Don't see that happening any time soon - the lake is full to overflowing - so, wish on my fine friend. :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

The farang community in Pattaya is a blight on Thailand.

This smacks of a somewhat ignorant and ill-informed generalization about those of us that choose to live in Pattaya!

Never been called a "blight" before, though.

Well this is what the majority of middle class hard working Thai's think of Pattaya and the sector of Thai society that earn their living as prostitutes. They have little respect for the farang visitor or resident either.

So if anybody is being ignorant and ill informed it must be Thai's themselves.

I'm just passing on what they think, dont shoot the messenger!

This smacks of a somewhat ignorant and ill-informed generalization about those of us that choose to live in Pattaya!

Well this is what the majority of middle class hard working Thai's think of Pattaya and the sector of Thai society that earn their living as prostitutes. They have little respect for the farang visitor or resident either.

TOTAL AND UNMITIGATED CRAP OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!!! :o:D

Is that the same farang community that raises so much for local charities?

Yeah and I'm sure that you guys worked tirelessly back home for charity

Is that the same farang community that spends a f%#$%#g fortune over here?

drop in the ocean

Is that the same farang community that gets totally ripped off by local corrupt scumbags?

Son nam nah

Bring on the water, have a ball, and stop whining!

If the cop on the corner can take a soaking all day, I'm sure I can.

Hope you get soaked, and the inside of your car!

Waterworld for a few days.... Magic!

X X X X

Drop the caps, it's rude don't you know?

Most Thai's i talk to dislike Pattaya and see it is an embarrasment to the Kingdom.

You should get out of Pattaya and talk to a few of them and then you would start to understand

Drop the caps, it's rude don't you know?

Most Thai's i talk to dislike Pattaya and see it is an embarrasment to the Kingdom.

You should get out of Pattaya and talk to a few of them and then you would start to understand

Chambers concise English dictionary: Crap: nonsense; rubbish (slang)

Don't see that it was particularly rude, considering the inflamatory nature of your posts.? :D

As it happens, I have spent most of my 30 plus years in Thailand outside of Pattaya. I speak passable Thai, have worked in the country for many years, and have many well educated Thai friends. None of them share your views.

Any more suggestions? :D

So did my wife until I was posted here from Bangkok.

She didn't know much about it... only what she'd heard from friends and relatives who had been here on holiday.

After living here in Pattaya now for the past 4 and a bit years, she's now got a different opinion.

Experience enlightens ignorance... don't you think?

:D

/Edit - now you've got me going off topic too... :o

Edited by Jai Dee

I took a break yesterday afternoon. Went up to the rooftop where I could get a view of portions of 5 different sois in my neighbourhood.

What did I see ? Hordes of Thais having fun. Kids, young adults, elderly people, all out throwing water, spraying water-pistols, dabbing powder on faces.

Couldn't see a farang anywhere.

I didn't run around the neighbourhood asking people what their level of education was (I did see members of the local doctor's family participating in the fun. Wouldn't consider them to be "uneducated). I didn't ask them if they thought this was bad for the country, or if they thought Pattaya was a disgrace because of a water fight.

I did see numerous people perform a more traditional sprinkling on various other people, and then later on throw buckets/bowls and pails of water just like everyone else. From what I could see, they were all having a great time, young/old, educated or not.

Who made you their messenger? Is your name Gallup or something????

Naka, you belong in the whiners thread.

Lets ban songrkan and replace it with a little boring festival where we trickle some water over the hands of a person....bring on another boring thai ceremony.

Perhaps the Cremation ceremony is more to your taste !

Lots of motorcycle riders meet their untimely end every year,

because some dimwit, who couldn't blow their nose if their brains were

made of dynamite, threw a bucket of water in their face. :o

Naka.

None of them share your views.

Maybe they just dont admit to thinking it?

bored of this....and its off topic.

you are right i am wrong.

sorry for doubting you!

Maybe you just don't admit you're wrong. :o

I'm bored too.

Glad you agree I'm right tho' :D:D

I used to enjoy Songkran, but don't any more. I want nothing to do with the water throwing. I make sure I have enough supplies and lock myself in my house and have a really good relaxing time. I only venture out in the safety/comfort of my vehicle or a taxi with windows up.

It's nice to see that a lot of young people do enjoy it and most people who remember having been young will know that youth is about excess.

So let them have their fun, try to make it as safe as possible for as many as you can.

As for the Pattaya haters--sorry but there are two sides to Pattaya (probably more). I always thought it was a sleezy place, but had some elderly relatives come to visit and took them to Pattaya. With no effort whatsoever, we stayed away from the sleezy parts of town (not difficult), ate at some fantastic restaurants, enjoyed the beach, went to some shows and in general had a really great time. I had no idea there were so many "other" things to do.