Villa Market Downsizes

BugJackBaron

Agreed. This happened last spring. Out of 7 items I bought at Villa, four were common to Big C. I took the Villa receipt and compared the prices at Big C. All four were cheaper at Villa not by a baht or two, but by 5-10-15 baht/unit. All import items. Also only Villa has Hellmans mayo and Healthy Mate peanut butter -- no sugar, no salt, no additives.

Hellmann's mayo is the same as Best Foods mayo -- every food store in Pattaya sells Best Foods mayo because it is the brand distributed in Asia. Makro sells Best Foods mayo (and Kewpie mayo, which is much better than Best Foods and actually has no sugar (blue label, as I recall) at a fraction of the price that Villa charges for Hellmann's. I have no idea where Villa gets Hellmann's. Hellmann's has sugar, salt and "calcium disodium EDTA", among other things, which I would classify as "additives". From Wikipedia:

"Hellmann's and Best Foods are brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise and other food products. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Canada. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rockies, and also in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. (emphasis added)."

Healthy Mate peanut butter is a second rate, but cheaper peanut butter made in Thailand with 1 percent salt. I have not checked the label, but I assume that it has (must have) preservatives (aka "additives"). I have not checked, but I expect that it is available at many shops in Pattaya as it is made in Thailand. There was a thread a while back on "peanut butter", and JT did an evaluation of Healthy Mate peanut butter. You should read that thread.

I have nothing against Villa. It sells convenience and charges very high prices for it. Good luck to it and its "regulars". And it feeds off people who have no idea what they are buying or what options are available in the market and are too lazy to put in the 30 seconds of effort to find out. Villa appreciates people with your uninformed shopping behavior, especially, if to get the few things that "are only available at Villa" (the null set), you do all of your grocery shopping at Villa.

I go to Villa once each year for my Christmas Eve eating extravaganza (and every other "upper end" food store in the Pattaya (and Bangkok) area(s). I don't need a shopping cart at Villa, as I can carry all that I want from Villa in one hand -- spices, bread, and perhaps a few bottles of wine if one catches my eye. There is nothing else at Villa, at least nothing that I have found/want, that cannot be found at Friendship and Foodland, which are both much more enjoyable shopping experiences. The people at Friendship are a delight. It, unfortunately, suffers from the same inconvenience and traffic problem from which Villa suffers.

Next..............

Healthy Mate Peanut Butter:

99 percent peanuts.

1 percent Sea Salt

Oil separated as expected for a NATURAL peanut butter product.

From their brochure:
No hydrogenated oil, stabilizer, or artificial preservatives are added.

I believe this label.

The flavor isn't as good as some USA natural brands like Trader Joe's organic 100 percent peanuts, but that's likely due to the quality of the nuts.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I have nothing against Villa. It sells convenience and charges very high prices for it. Good luck to it and its "regulars". And it feeds off people who have no idea what they are buying or what options are available in the market and are too lazy to put in the 30 seconds of effort to find out. Villa appreciates people with your uninformed shopping behavior, especially, if to get the few things that "are only available at Villa" (the null set), you do all of your grocery shopping at Villa.

I go to Villa once each year for my Christmas Eve eating extravaganza (and every other "upper end" food store in the Pattaya (and Bangkok) area(s). I don't need a shopping cart at Villa, as I can carry all that I want from Villa in one hand -- spices, bread, and perhaps a few bottles of wine if one catches my eye. There is nothing else at Villa, at least nothing that I have found/want, that cannot be found at Friendship and Foodland, which are both much more enjoyable shopping experiences. The people at Friendship are a delight. It, unfortunately, suffers from the same inconvenience and traffic problem from which Villa suffers.

Next..............

Your post was half decent until you found the need to insult people who shop at Villa. Are you trying to come across as the know-it-all shopping guru?

As far as "The people at Friendship are a delight" is concerned....I couldn't disagree more. There's nothing delightful about the staff there. I find the staff there are among the unfriendliest and least helpful in Pattaya, and some have real attitude problems. Bear in mind that I shop there late at night or early morning before closing, so perhaps they're more cheery when you shop there.

... and I find Villa and Friendship convenient from where I live. It just goes to show you how opinions on supermarkets can vary. There was really no need to rip into people who like to shop at Villa. It has already been established that most members who shop there shop there for specific items and don't do their full shopping there.

• Like 1

Thailaw wrote:

"Hellmann's mayo is the same as Best Foods mayo -- every food store in Pattaya sells Best Foods mayo because it is the brand distributed in Asia. Makro sells Best Foods mayo (and Kewpie mayo, which is much better than Best Foods and actually has no sugar (blue label, as I recall) at a fraction of the price that Villa charges for Hellmann's. I have no idea where Villa gets Hellmann's. Hellmann's has sugar, salt and "calcium disodium EDTA", among other things, which I would classify as "additives". "

Best Foods mayo is not the same as Hellmans, IMHO. I've bought it 2-3 times when Hellmans (or Kraft) was not available. Despite being immediately refrigerated after purchase, BF's mayo is still thin and runny, and without that mayo taste. Ingredients link. Doesn't look too bad to me when it's available here. I've tried all the others -- I still will pay more for Hellman -- except Kewpie. I will never buy a "bag of mayonnaise".

Healthy Mate peanut butter is a second rate, but cheaper peanut butter made in Thailand with 1 percent salt. I have not checked the label, but I assume that it has (must have) preservatives (aka "additives"). I have not checked, but I expect that it is available at many shops in Pattaya as it is made in Thailand. There was a thread a while back on "peanut butter", and JT did an evaluation of Healthy Mate peanut butter. You should read that thread.

Jingthing has already responded. But I would add that HM peanut butter is pretty decent when there's no NorthAm organic peanut butter around. And it most certainly is not second rate. There's a Thai peanuts-only brand called Canaan that is awful. Must be using stale roasted nuts.

Anyway, we're off topic. Like just about everyone else, I like Villa for a couple of things, including good whole wheat bread, Hellmans, HM peanut butter, and couple more things. And I get many other things at Foodland, which has been my No. 1 shopping spot for some time now.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

For once I'll agree with tropo

I find the staff there are among the unfriendliest and least helpful in Pattaya, and some have real attitude problems

+ 1 from me

I've renamed it Un_friendship and only go there as a last resort now.

I've just come back from there. I did a little experiment to see how (un)friendly the staff are. Went upstairs first. I didn't say a thing to the cashier and in return no greeting, no eye contact and no thank you as she passed me the receipt. She looked miserable.

Downstairs - the cashier, the packer and one other having a heavy conversation and acting like I wasn't there during the checkout process and finally whispered "thank you" as she passed me my receipt. That lady has been working there far too long.

This was an early shop for me, so the surly nature of the staff is not restricted to late at night.

Please don't take this as a complaint as I don't care either way - but friendliness is not something which comes to mind when I shop there.

They are fast at the checkout, so that's a big plus and more important to me than friendship.biggrin.png

... back to Villa. They're a miserable bunch at the checkout.. but they're also quick, so that makes up for it.

Foodland - 7 star service. The best of the best.

Where's the slowest, worst service in town? I vote for Big C - all the branches.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

i park/shop at friendship at least twice a week and have done so for years

i know the security guys and they always find a spot for me

i have never had any problems with the staff inside there but i go for the shopping, not social intercourse

i have never had any problems with the staff inside there but i go for the shopping, not social intercourse

+1

I don't have any problems there either, staff not too bad and the butcher cut my steaks to my order without any bullshit.

I park my bike there when going to Tuk.Com or the market at Soi Baukhao, no problems.

As for Villa Market, haven't been there for a while, I better go and check later this week.

I shop at Friendship at least twice a week. I have had no problems with the staff but then i don't engage them in conversation i just pick my goods and pay at the till. The checkouts are always manned and very quick, no more than 2 minutes. Far quicker than the equivalent at Big C or Tesco.

+1

I don't have any problems there either, staff not too bad and the butcher cut my steaks to my order without any bullshit.

I park my bike there when going to Tuk.Com or the market at Soi Baukhao, no problems.

As for Villa Market, haven't been there for a while, I better go and check later this week.

I've never had any problems with staff there either. Their demeanor was merely and observation, not a problem.

Went there about a year ago, with the idea that I hadn't been for about 2 years. Very quickly I realised why. The prices are ridiculous.

the prices are indeed ridiculous. but where, except in Villa Market, can you buy Clausen or Vlasic pickled gherkins? the answer is "nowhere!", even if you are willing to pay a ridiculous price.

agreed. if you want the good stuff sometimes you have to pay. claussen dills 350, kosher spears 650. thank god i prefer the dills

I agree on Friendship , best place to do your weekly shopping in Pattaya . Never had any problems with staff there.

Also up on 2nd floor they have a very good selection of kitchen utensils and other cheap household items.

I agree on Friendship , best place to do your weekly shopping in Pattaya . Never had any problems with staff there.

Also up on 2nd floor they have a very good selection of kitchen utensils and other cheap household items.

I went into the kitchen utensils section yesterday. It's not really very good. Would you believe I couldn't even find a good grater - a very basic item. Villa has a better selection of many items.