Modern Times in Pattaya

swissie

As a prelude, I have to mention that I have visited Pattaya for the last 17 years. Sometimes my mind goes back to the good old days and this puts me in a mellow and dream-like state of mind.

Those were the days where one had to look for overweight ladies. Now, in modern times, one has to look for ladies that are not within the range of "overweight" to "massively overweight". (For Thai-Standarts).

While sitting at a bar, thinking no evil, all of a sudden and out of the blue, a Thai-Female the size of a baby-elefant sits in front of you, blocking your view to absolutely everything else. This is bad, but it get's worse: What follows is this: "Where do you come from?". Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

- The fact that the Thai-Ladies are getting fatter is and act of God or McDonalds (I don't know witch). But for the eradication of the "where you come from", the zillions of Farang-Sponsors, including the English-Teaching-Brigade, could make a real difference by just by indicating to the Ladies, that after 17 years, it would be a good time to think of another opening line.

It can't be so hard. Things like "is your ATM-card working"? or "have you been to the toilet today already"? or "is your big belly naturally grown or is it a silicone-job"? So many possibilities to replace the eternal "Where you come from" terror!

Cheers.

• Like 1

How would the girl know you have been visiting for the last 17 years? If the same one has been asking you the same question for all that time then maybe it's time to try another bar laugh.png

It doesn't really matter what answer you give anyway as they are not listening to you, you could say Mars and they will nod their head then move onto the next question which they won't listen to the answer again anyway

I gave up chatting with Bar girls a long time ago, the inane conversation was turning me into a vegetable, nothing against Bar girls by the way

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

So stay in Switzerland and obtain the services of sex workers there and save yourself the airfare.

Thailand, including Pattaya, is going from economic strength to strength, and will hardly miss the spending of sex tourists like yourself.

Err, have you read the recent economic reports - recession, falling baht....................... not exactly going from strength to strength.

However, you are probably right that one Swiss sex tourist probably ain't gonna be missed!

• Like 1

It was once described to me as a "leap-frog" effect whereby you go from a possible lactose intolerant generation leap-frogging to powdered re-constituted milk through to ice creams, fresh milk etc. in only a few decades. Same with things like no land line phone leap-frogging straight to mobile phones. But let's face it. Bangkok bar girls in the 1960's tended to be unmarried with no kids and looking for any kind of job whereas Pattaya girls of today tend to have had one of two kids and are here to support them. But that's just my viewpoint.

I only go to the bar about once a week and these days its to have a chat ,i find the quickest turnoff for a bar girl is when she finds you are local and have a wife and kids ,they avoid you like the plague thumbsup.gif

We were sitting in a bar and the girl said to me, 'ooh you have young friend'. She'd have won the 100 metre gold when I said, 'no, he's my son'.
  • Like 1

So stay in Switzerland and obtain the services of sex workers there and save yourself the airfare.

Thailand, including Pattaya, is going from economic strength to strength, and will hardly miss the spending of sex tourists like yourself.

Err, have you read the recent economic reports - recession, falling baht....................... not exactly going from strength to strength.

However, you are probably right that one Swiss sex tourist probably ain't gonna be missed!

Thinking more long term...like past 5-10 year time horizon. A couple months of slowdown is hardly a concern and I'd imagine Europe and America would be quite happy with 3.5-4.5% annual GDP growth.

• Like 1

Many Thais are overweight nowadays for various reasons.

7/11 sells all kinds of junk food and it's no good for you.

I often see Thais of all ages sucking on a plastic bag with ice and Coca-Cola.

KFC & McDonalds very popular here = junk food.

Yeah when I first came here in 1998 not many overweight people around expect the tourists but that have changed now.

Perhaps City hall should start a dedicated bar girl aerobics club? Hmm maybe not, prostitution is prohibited here so they would loose face if they did that.

Prostitution in Pattaya? Nooobiggrin.png

I only go to the bar about once a week and these days its to have a chat ,i find the quickest turnoff for a bar girl is when she finds you are local and have a wife and kids ,they avoid you like the plague thumbsup.gif

Not with me they don't. Maybe it's my positive attitude. wink.png If anything it's better because you actually have something to talk about besides where I'm from and where he/she's from. Now I get to discuss parenting and other interesting topics.

blame Thaksin, before his war on drugs, all the Go-Go girls were on Yabba at 50 baht a pop

Yes, that's my theory too. It really wasn't healthy for the girls, it's MUCH better to be of a somewhat more normal weight, by international standards. It's really for the better. (Also because of all the mental health effects that the stuff caused.)

Pattaya is better right now than it ever was in the past. (Going back also pretty much 17 years) Yes I'm a bit more jaded too than before, but I recognize that in myself and am able to separate that from what's actually going on in the world. I've changed far more than Pattaya has. Most people seem to lack that ability to separate themselves from their surroundings.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I find that as a single guy who came here 24 years ago ,Pattaya was much better then ,but as a married guy now with a 19 year old son and a wife its much better now , just depends on your circumstances i suppose ,but yes it was very,very hard to find a fat person then.

^ Yes, yes, that. Indeed I also holiday there with the wife and kids, though I'm also still very partial to a night out with the guys, which remains incredibly fun. Not to mention there are sights to be seen that would be unheard of 15-25 years ago. There's just more of anything, no matter what your interests or needs.

Yeah when I first came here in 1998 not many overweight people around expect the tourists but that have changed now.

Perhaps City hall should start a dedicated bar girl aerobics club? Hmm maybe not, prostitution is prohibited here so they would loose face if they did that.

Prostitution in Pattaya? Nooo:D

All the above very true but maybe they are only trying to keep up with the average farang?

It's hard to believe they would turn off you just because you're married with children. A lot of their business comes from married men. Perhaps a more likely reason is that you're cheap about buying drinks for them. They won't hang around long if you don't buy drinks. They don't chat with old foreigners for fun - it's work.

Edited by tropo

Prostitution in Pattaya? Nooobiggrin.png

Sure, there's overweight Thais, but if the OP thinks that too many "ladies of the night" are overweight it's probably because he has a fetish for anorexic, underweight girls. I mean really, to say you have to look hard for lean girls is absurd because they're all over the place.

@ the OP.... did her chins wobble as she spoke? whistling.gif

But I do agree that there are very many larger and also older women working in the bars now.

Saves money in the long run because you don't want the large portion.

Tell them you are on a fat free diet cheesy.gif

@ the OP.... did her chins wobble as she spoke? whistling.gif

But I do agree that there are very many larger and also older women working in the bars now.

Saves money in the long run because you don't want the large portion.

Tell them you are on a fat free diet cheesy.gif

Sounds like a good match up to me...the girls are just mirroring their customer base!

Really laugh.png .

While it's currency may be overvalued, and undoubtedly some Thais are making a killing, the life of the average worker has yet to improve significantly from when I first came here many years ago.

The economy seemed to be doing far better than now just before the crash in 1997, so just because it SEEMS to be OK now doesn't mean diddly. The rice guarantee scheme is bound to cause major problems when it collapses.

Pattaya was built on the backs of the bargirls, and just because there are a few fancy hotels and a flash Central now, that fundamental hasn't changed.

Pattaya has nothing else going for it, with a rubbish beach and broken infrastructure. Building a new walkway that looks good, but has no seating and will be too hot to actually walk on won't change anything.

• Like 1

and in future visas for Pattaya will only be issued for married couples with children!

tongue.png

So the standard of living has gone up and people are starting to look more the size of westerners; getting proper or too much nutrition but you would rather this not be the case because you like to look at skinny girls......hmmm....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and in future visas for Pattaya will only be issued for married couples with children!

tongue.png

Anybody is more than welcome to visit; it just seemed to me the OP was unhappy with the working girls on offer in pattaya so I merely suggested he stick to the local talent and pocked the airfare to Thailand.

Really laugh.png .

While it's currency may be overvalued, and undoubtedly some Thais are making a killing, the life of the average worker has yet to improve significantly from when I first came here many years ago.

The economy seemed to be doing far better than now just before the crash in 1997, so just because it SEEMS to be OK now doesn't mean diddly. The rice guarantee scheme is bound to cause major problems when it collapses.

Pattaya was built on the backs of the bargirls, and just because there are a few fancy hotels and a flash Central now, that fundamental hasn't changed.

Pattaya has nothing else going for it, with a rubbish beach and broken infrastructure. Building a new walkway that looks good, but has no seating and will be too hot to actually walk on won't change anything.

And strong backs they were too...as they had to support allot of fat sex tourists. Just saying that Thailand, and even Pattaya, is moving past that history to a more diversified tourist mix (which still has a place for sex tourists too).

When I moved to Thailand 12 years ago, the SET was around 300; today it's over 1400. The baht was 40 to the US$; today it's 32. Thailand's GNP has also more than doubled during this period (not arguing the wealth is fairly distributed). Unemployment and inflation are low. I would suggest the USA, Japan, and most of Europe would be very happy with such a record over the past decade.

PS: Some reputable economists still consider the baht to be undervalued by some 30%.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

If OP is so worried about finding slim girls for his sexual pleasure then he should move to Cambodia , all the girls are slim there and no McDonalds. If we relocate all the sex tourists to Cambodia maybe Pattaya will be a normal friendly city again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If OP is so worried about finding slim girls for his sexual pleasure then he should move to Cambodia , all the girls are slim there and no McDonalds. If we relocate all the sex tourists to Cambodia maybe Pattaya will be a normal friendly city again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, can't but much grub on 2-bucks a day...but it won't be that way for long. There are already a couple local fast food hamburger chains and Thai fast food king Will Heneike and his Minor Group are moving in with Swenson's, KFC, and Pizza Company outlets already in place.

tongue.png

Anybody is more than welcome to visit; it just seemed to me the OP was unhappy with the working girls on offer in pattaya so I merely suggested he stick to the local talent and pocked the airfare to Thailand.

Can't look at the local scene in Switzerland. I live in Thailand and visit Pattaya only for a few days at the time. But I am sure we all agree, if you hear the same "where do you come from" for the 15th time the same day, it starts to irritate. Well knowing, that they are not in the least interested in the country you come from, it only serves to evaluate your ATM-power.There is a country ranking, starting with Saudi-Arabia all the way down to Bangladesh.

Looking for remedies, I came up with the following: Wearing a T-shirt saying (in Thai) "I am from Bangladesh, can you loan me 500'000 Bht, I will pay back next year at 3 o'clock". Of course, as the situation may present itself, I could always pack a second T-shirt (to be exchanged in the mens room), saying "I am from Saudi-Arabia and horny as h*ll, gang up on me!"

Could this possibly spare me the "Where you come from" opener?

Cheers.

• Like 1