Thailand's education to be uplifted ahead of the AEC

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And first thing they did was changing the start date of the semester. What a great start. thumbsup.gif

They are so disorganized that they can't even make up their mind if they have done that yet. Should take a maximum of 2 hours to sit around a table and agree dates for next year. They still haven't made a firm decision on this as of two weeks ago.

Typical Thai-style work. Anything could be changed until last minute and maybe even after that. I doubt how our country even got this far, maybe because we know our culture very well and adapted already. facepalm.gif

Now this is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. I've been suspended before for using one word answers to this type of poster so I'll refrain from that one word. To quote from the poster:

There is only one English language, Americans have been lazy and adpated it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we trying to say, its in the detail where there is the difference and that is what readers need to think about, the detail.

Writing something like this does not add to any post so why waste the ink? It seems to me, my friend, you need to polish the English you write before accusing another nationality of being lazy. As a supposedly "lazy" American I will correct the mistakes for you.

There is only one English language. (a period, my friend, not a comma at the end of a sentence)

Americans have been lazy and adapted it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we are trying to say. (spelling, grammar and punctuation are important, my friend)

The details are in the difference and that is what readers need to think about. (sentence structure my friend)

Re-read your article and try to find the many mistakes you made. You really don't have a clue, do you?

A pretty basic requirement to know about your new partners.

I think there will be a few shocked Thais at meetings when they find they dont have the language skills to take a full part because they cant and will have little idea what is going on and what they will agreeing to. The other members will of course not take advantage of the situation. There is an important lesson to be learnt here and that is "learning from you mistakes" something Thais dont at the moment learn because any mistakes are swept under the carpet so no one loses face!

Until Thais realize there are different cultures with different ways of doing things and start to take note, the percieved golden cash cow of the AEC will be found to be a very different animal altogether.

The English taught in Thai education systems is not like any English I recognize.

The Chinese from Singapore are going to eat the Thais alive at the boardroom table.

As will the Vietnamese and Filipinos who come to take the jobs of englit-mangling thai.

Will be interesting to see what happens when/if Thai business start hiring foreigners who are cheaper than Farang, but equally well educated.

Hopefully the bar will be raised, and there'll be more tech business, or at the very least, not such a focus on the shit for dickheads jobs.

By all accounts, Bargirls learn English, on the job, in their thousands, so maybe the magic of capitalism will get the collective finger pulled out.

Shall be interesting.

Now this is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. I've been suspended before for using one word answers to this type of poster so I'll refrain from that one word. To quote from the poster:

There is only one English language, Americans have been lazy and adpated it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we trying to say, its in the detail where there is the difference and that is what readers need to think about, the detail.

Writing something like this does not add to any post so why waste the ink? It seems to me, my friend, you need to polish the English you write before accusing another nationality of being lazy. As a supposedly "lazy" American I will correct the mistakes for you.

There is only one English language. (a period, my friend, not a comma at the end of a sentence)

Americans have been lazy and adapted it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we are trying to say. (spelling, grammar and punctuation are important, my friend)

The details are in the difference and that is what readers need to think about. (sentence structure my friend)

Re-read your article and try to find the many mistakes you made. You really don't have a clue, do you?

Got up your nose a bit then eh! Your contribution to the debate appears to be zero, perhaps thats where you should leave it.

Another point worth making, which was mentioned earlier is the way Thais say things and the way we "westerners" say things ie, 3 chickens or chickens 3.

The speak like a "westerner" ( just usung that really for non Thais so dont take any offence) you have to think like one rather than a Thai. I am sure that our American friends think differently to my English in some areas, but, we do allow for that.

A short while ago I was asked by a local policeman to help with his English, he gave me a sheet which contained some references to American History, well not a strong subject especially around the Revolution have to admit, so there I was reading this American history through English eyes and supplying what I thought were the right answers and then it was to be marked by a Thai teacher!

It was a bit of a stumper also to me as to why early American History would be of use to a Thai policeman, I thought the plan was to get them to learn to speak English in case they came across us in the normal job and needed to communicate, cant think he would want to discuss any history, but then again someone may be making a course and have to justify the fees?

My Thai wife's young cousins are attending public school here in Thailand, I once saw a text book of theirs and I was shocked from what I saw. It seemed that a host of different subjects such as Mathematics, History, Social science, Biology and so on was covered in one thin A4 100 pages or so book. It looked like one of those colouring books I played with as a pre-schooler, with fill in questions and multiple choice answers.

That is when I realized how far behind the Thai education system is, they will never catch up to the other ASEAN countries.

When I was about the same age as these kids I had a very thick book for every subject, and that was just for one semester.

Now my wife tells me the main reason for the books being so thin and covering so many subjects in one book is that there are no lockers at the schools???

That cannot be an official excuse I hope.

If Thailand really wants to speed up the learning of English , then they should stop dumbing down Hollywood and other Western movies with over dubbed Thai, both in the cinemas and on TV. They could use subtitles which would help the Thai ear know what is being said and improve listening skills.

Carrying out this action could also instil a greater will in Thai kids to learn English a lot better, as they would hope fully realise that listening to and understanding the original soundtrack makes the movie a whole lot more enjoyable.

• Like 1

I can only imagine what happens during ASEAN member meetings when it's decided to have break out groups from various countries to get together and discuss specific topics in English only. Obviously the Filipinos and Singaporeans will be leading most of those meetings as the Thais quietly gravitate toward the back of the room -- smiling -- quietly.

"Psst...kowjai mai?" xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

"Oooiii. Mai kowjai arai loie." xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU.png

Another point worth making, which was mentioned earlier is the way Thais say things and the way we "westerners" say things ie, 3 chickens or chickens 3.

The speak like a "westerner" ( just usung that really for non Thais so dont take any offence) you have to think like one rather than a Thai. I am sure that our American friends think differently to my English in some areas, but, we do allow for that.

A short while ago I was asked by a local policeman to help with his English, he gave me a sheet which contained some references to American History, well not a strong subject especially around the Revolution have to admit, so there I was reading this American history through English eyes and supplying what I thought were the right answers and then it was to be marked by a Thai teacher!

It was a bit of a stumper also to me as to why early American History would be of use to a Thai policeman, I thought the plan was to get them to learn to speak English in case they came across us in the normal job and needed to communicate, cant think he would want to discuss any history, but then again someone may be making a course and have to justify the fees?

It probably would have been much more beneficial to work on his pronunciation skills than his knowledge of US History. However, I'm sure all he wanted were the 'correct' answers to the history test...sadly.

...There is only one English language, Americans have been lazy and adpated it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we trying to say, its in the detail where there is the difference and that is what readers need to think about, the detail.

I don't feel that the national adaptation of any root language equates to being lazy. Spaniards, Mexicans, Bolivians, Cubans etc., speak Spanish, with cultural differences perhaps due to the intergration of the languages of indigenous people of those areas. Americans are no different. We integrated multiple languages from native tribes, Europeans and others into what has become our form of English.

The French speakers of Quebec and the former French colonies are another example of regionalized adaptation of the base language.

Just my two-Bahts worth.

...There is only one English language, Americans have been lazy and adpated it to their own ways, however, we both understand what we trying to say, its in the detail where there is the difference and that is what readers need to think about, the detail.

I don't feel that the national adaptation of any root language equates to being lazy. Spaniards, Mexicans, Bolivians, Cubans etc., speak Spanish, with cultural differences perhaps due to the intergration of the languages of indigenous people of those areas. Americans are no different. We integrated multiple languages from native tribes, Europeans and others into what has become our form of English.

The French speakers of Quebec and the former French colonies are another example of regionalized adaptation of the base language.

Just my two-Bahts worth.

The grammatical and spelling differences between native and American English are tiny. It doesn't represent a difference of 1%.

In fact I find it quite hilarious that people bother to note the difference. As likely as anything the guy who compiled a dictionary in the USA made a spelling mistake.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Just my two-Bahts worth.

The grammatical and spelling differences between native and American English are tiny. It doesn't represent a difference of 1%.

In fact I find it quite hilarious that people bother to note the difference. As likely as anything the guy who compiled a dictionary in the USA made a spelling mistake.

I take umbrage at an American stating that American English was the natural EVOLUTION of English. His assertion being that English English (for want of a better expression!) had had its day. As pointed out, there are differences due to culture. I would hate to think of a Thailand where the population is fluent in English and that becomes deemed to be THE English.

Good to see the Education Minister acknowledging Thailand's shortcomings and the need to improve in this important area.

However, he should also understand that there are two kinds of nations in ASEAN.... those whose well educated people speak it's lingua franca (English) and those who don't. Any educational hubs will emerge from the first category whilst Thailand falls into the second category.

In some areas being 'colonised' in the past does have it advantages after all.

I think you're missing the word 'again' in your post.

This is hardly news, just another messenger turning up at the door so people can say 'already had that, haven't you got anything new?'

Perhaps seeing education revolving around the needs of students would be a start.

Won't happen IMHO

@Nong38

My old boss, from England, used to tell me, "We gave you a perfectly good language and you ruined it." and I told him that it wasn't America's fault that England quit getting the language updates a couple of hundred years ago!

Just my two-Bahts worth.

I take umbrage at an American stating that American English was the natural EVOLUTION of English. His assertion being that English English (for want of a better expression!) had had its day. As pointed out, there are differences due to culture. I would hate to think of a Thailand where the population is fluent in English and that becomes deemed to be THE English.

What a perfectly English (nationality, not language) response...

I say, I take umbrage... Shall it be pistols at twenty paces?

Go back and read the posts... nobody said anything about British English being inferior or out dated. It sounds like somebody has personal issues. American vs British English is just a few spelling differences so don't get your knickers in a twist. (See, I used British English, just to make you comfortable...)

If you want to spell color and favor with a "u" like the French, good on yer. (Aussie English)

And if you want to spell center and specter with the "r" before the "e". That's ok, la. (Malaysian English)

As a regional marketing manager in Asia, I find myself working with a variety of flavors of English. The only "right" answer is to follow the local norms on usage.

The only exception being the word "learnt"... I just can't let that one go... Past tense of learn is "LEARNED".

@Nong38

My old boss, from England, used to tell me, "We gave you a perfectly good language and you ruined it." and I told him that it wasn't America's fault that England quit getting the language updates a couple of hundred years ago!

For info, From previous post

Just my two-Bahts worth.

What a perfectly English (nationality, not language) response...

I say, I take umbrage... Shall it be pistols at twenty paces?

Go back and read the posts... nobody said anything about British English being inferior or out dated. It sounds like somebody has personal issues. American vs British English is just a few spelling differences so don't get your knickers in a twist. (See, I used British English, just to make you comfortable...)

If you want to spell color and favor with a "u" like the French, good on yer. (Aussie English)

And if you want to spell center and specter with the "r" before the "e". That's ok, la. (Malaysian English)

As a regional marketing manager in Asia, I find myself working with a variety of flavors of English. The only "right" answer is to follow the local norms on usage.

The only exception being the word "learnt"... I just can't let that one go... Past tense of learn is "LEARNED".

Jai yen yen

• Like 1

Good to see the Education Minister acknowledging Thailand's shortcomings and the need to improve in this important area.

However, he should also understand that there are two kinds of nations in ASEAN.... those whose well educated people speak it's lingua franca (English) and those who don't. Any educational hubs will emerge from the first category whilst Thailand falls into the second category.

It's pretty sad of have residents of one ASEAN country (The Philippians) teaching English to the residents of another ASEAN country (Thailand) because residents of the former have mastered the English language (well, slight problems pronouncing words starting with "F" but that can be overlooked) :)

It's pretty sad of have residents of one ASEAN country (The Philippians) teaching English to the residents of another ASEAN country (Thailand) because residents of the former have mastered the English language (well, slight problems pronouncing words starting with "F" but that can be overlooked) :)

My opinion would be different.

Having a Filipino English teacher and a Thai English teacher as the sole means of delivering the English part of the curriculum is not ideal (to say the least)

Any serious recognition that English ability is a requirement to get the reddies rolling in, can only be met if native English speakers are employed.

Getting cheap alternatives will show through. If there is a problem motivating a class, how many angles can you approach 'livening up' the lesson if your own ability is limited?

Especially with Thai English teachers, students are not stupid. Say you 'don't understand' long enough and hey presto, we're talking in Thai!

Yes, it's sad, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place.