Etans-images of them in Thailand

Ron19

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arrive here at an awkward moment......Why do u name that vehicles " Etan " ? I know Et Al ( Et Alii ) which means " other(s) "

boingboing.jpg
Incredible Thai Etan Trucks

McLaren+Torchinsky at 9:03 pm Sun, Aug 2, 2009

Jason Torchinsky is a guest blogger on Boing Boing. Jason has a book out now, Ad Nauseam: A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture. He lives in Los Angeles, where he is a tinkerer and artist and writes for the Onion News Network. He lives with his partner Sally, five animals, too many old cars, and a shed full of crap.

These are farmer's trucks, made in rural workshops in Thailand to order for local farmers. Though there are many small village factories making them, they do appear to have some standardization of design; for example, they all seem to be built around the same 14 (or so) hp diesel Kubota generator motors. They're all wonderfully and elaborately decorated and painted, and, while undeniably crude, seem very capable of doing their job.

(The name Etan seems to be the accepted title although they are called different names in many parts of Thailand.So when starting the thread I settled on Etan.)

Edited by Ron19

Yes Dal,100% Etan in my humble opinion,especially seeing what the old farmer is sitting on.....must be very hot and

noisy with that old Kabota in the cab with them.

Just imagine how an engine positioned like that is fired up.. Pillows on top wouldn't hurt..whistling.gif

15372499668_4f41e34c7b_b.jpg

Great, original one, Shaggy. I'm glad to see you consider that belonging to the Etan family.

I couldn't agree with you more.thumbsup.gif and I find your extreme brightness/shadow balance very atractive. Very nice.

In my post #1022 above, would that be tobacco that it's carrying ?

In my post #1022 above, would that be tobacco that it's carrying ?

No, Ron. Those leafs look too smooth and their shape doesn't match to me. Your area doesn't grow that much tobacco, right?

There is a fair bit of tobacco grown in the Si Samrong area of Sukhothai and that is only 40km from my place.There may be other areas around here that I don't know about.

OK DAL, just for you I walked down the beach again today... and it was still there! tongue.png

Actually ended up sitting on a Sala, chatting with staff... (things slow with building going on) Thai's are a scream sometimes with their jokes and goings on! I had a great afternoon!!thumbsup.gif

Wow, even a mountain dew bottle to boot! ...... that's extra....

Maenam%2520beach%2520Santi%2520and%2520L

wai2.gif

Edited by samuijimmy