Etans-images of them in Thailand

Ron19

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETAN Driving lessons for dummies: Lesson 1: the engine.

Aside from chassis custom design the main difference between ETAN's is it's engine. Farmiliarise yourself with the engine first; This particular engine is a new Kubota(Japanese) RT140plus+ Thunder edition which has 3 settings as shown in the photo.

13945992184_c6773a9d60_c.jpg

Handy to know is while the engine is running you can push the lever to the right(red) to make it stop running.

When you want to re-start the engine, you have to push the lever manually to yellow(starting). Starting it the old fashioned way will be discussed in lesson 2.

This was taken on a back road leading out of the village. I was on the back of the bike when i spotted the Etan approaching in the distance. I quickly dismounted and got a few shots.

5 minutes later we spotted some Aunties in a field gathering bugs. I walked over to them for some shots. Looking back to the road I spotted a second Etan travelling in the opposite direction. Alas, I was too late with the phone camera for a shot.

I was in the village for about 2 weeks, this 5 minute period was the only time i saw Etans there.

1972471_10152117303042639_60055849165654

10259859_10152117303092639_7377670665805

10255684_10152117303122639_7012985572380

Could this be called an E-train ? The rear one is being towed,if you look between the shadows of the two vehicles you will see the shadow of the chain.

DSC02379.JPG

The man driving the front one is the father of the little boy driving the tractor in the farming thread.

DSC02380.JPG

Could this be called an E-train ? The rear one is being towed,if you look between the shadows of the two vehicles you will see the shadow of the chain.

The man driving the front one is the father of the little boy driving the tractor in the farming thread.

The back one looks smaller, like a child's toy Etan.

The back one looks smaller, like a child's toy Etan.

There are many shapes and sizes up here.

Has anyone been to an Etan factory?

I understand these Etan's are made up all over the country?

I have been to a body works where they arrive as a chassis missing only the engine,cab and tray which are all added there.I have no Idea where the chassis are made up I will try and dig up the photo's of the body works.

I have yet to see one Etan in the southern provinces! Not one, ... and I have traveled through many highways and bi-ways in the south ! ..... it must be a central northern Thailand thing! wink.png

It's not something one would miss, while going around!

This is close, but not the real McCoy!.... (SW Samui...near Thaling Ngam)...whistling.gif

IMG_7786.CR2.jpg

I have yet to see one Etan in the southern provinces! Not one, ... and I have traveled through many highways and bi-ways in the south ! ..... it must be a central northern Thailand thing! wink.png

It's not something one would miss, while going around!

This is close, but not the real McCoy!.... (SW Samui...near Thaling Ngam)...whistling.gif

IMG_7786.CR2.jpg

Looks like an old army truck

What exactly is an ETAN and how was it name derived?

I am guessing it's some sort of improvised cargo vehicle.

The following link posted by Dancealot should go part of the way to answering your questions.The truth of the matter as far as the name goes is that they are called by different names in a number of areas of the country.In the link posted by Dancealot they use the name as Rot Itan which is possibly the correct spelling but where I live they are called Rot Thailand.

Here is Dancealots link again just in case you missed it. http://www.thaivisa....ers-truck-info/

Re Bookman's comment.... Some maybe old army trucks...???..... . there used to be a lot more of them than there is now..... right next to the beach and a coconut chopping place... on a side road...

High end houses are being built in the area.... so these things lower the tone of the neighbourhood ...wink.png we can't have that.... whistling.gif

I have more pics, and have probably posted a few in the trucks section of the forum.....

If I post too many here, people will get confused .... we don't want that .... tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I think Rot-tans would be a good name! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Jimmy, you are very close, as usual....coffee1.gif, Take Bookman as an example^^, you could learn from him..... There must be an Etan on Samui. There must be....

Well DAL did you see one on Samui, last visit???..... I think not....tongue.pngcoffee1.gif

perhaps there were too many other distractions! biggrin.pngw00t.gif

DSCN5426.JPG

Jimmy, you are very close, as usual....coffee1.gif, Take Bookman as an example^^, you could learn from him..... There must be an Etan on Samui. There must be....

Well DAL did you see one on Samui, last visit???..... I think not....tongue.pngcoffee1.gif

perhaps there were too many other distractions! biggrin.pngw00t.gif

DSCN5426.JPG

What distractions were there for DSAL (Drink&Smoke A Lot)?