Television

wispyerk007

A simple question this, if i bring a tv from the uk to thailand will it work, or is the operating system different. And before anybody asks why bring a tv here i would prefer not too, its the wife, and as we are moving here in july with the rest of our stuff she wants to give the tv to the inlaws. Thanks

It will certainly work as far as voltage and colour system is concerned ( PAL )

the problem may be with the sound from from terestrial transmision ( tuner )

That can quite easily be changed by a enginer if needs be ( just need to change the sound frequency crystal )

However it will work fine if you plan on hooking it up through the A/V sockets to a satellite ,DVD,video recorder etc..

UDON, i know that but try telling the wife

Just tell her it won't work :o:)

Agree with what the other say, you'll probably have trouble with sound off terrestrial channels.

Actually, a UK TV will be UHF only so you may not even get all the terrestrial channels, leave it at home.

Just bring your DVD's, tellys and DVD playerare very reasonably priced here.

Edited by Crossy

You failed to mention the size of the tv.

If its a biggie, calc the unaccompanied airfrt cost at a min of 7 squid a Kg + Thai duty+clearance fees +++.

Hardly worth bringing, is it?

Just tell her it won't work here (partially true) and you can get a 2nd hand TV for the inlaws when you get here cheaply.

Edited by tywais

I was not aware that the UK used 250v electric. The electric here in Thailand ranges from about 180-230v. In Bangkok it is normally 220-230 but upcountry can get a lot lower in the evening.

The TV to Thailand is not a good idea. It will not work without changing the tuner and rigging a VHF antenna connection. As said the price of a new 21-25" TV is in the 4,000 baht range on sale at Lotus (Tesco) type stores. But good luck trying to change the mind of a Thai wife. Maybe you could accidently drop it?

But good luck trying to change the mind of a Thai wife. Maybe you could accidently drop it?

Be carefull though as you may have to fork out to get it repaired before sending it over....then having all the extra probs when in thailand... :o a double whammy, when the better halfs mind is made up its normally made up...

We are considering sending some items over but i just cant see it being practical cost wise..

As lopburi3 said they arent that much in Thailand, plus it will be new and maybe have a guarentee..(how good anyones guess) :D

Edited by techie

I was not aware that the UK used 250v electric.

We don't, at least not any more.

Up until recently the UK used 240V 50Hz, a few areas used 250V 50Hz, heaven only knows why but i think it was a hang over from before the National Grid when power was generated on a local basis (some areas still used DC up until the mid-50s), our appliances were marked 240/250V.

Following voltage harmonisation co-ordinated with CENELEC countries, all electricity supply within the EU is now nominally 230 V +/− 10% (though some countries have stricter specifications: for example, the UK specifies 230 V +10% -6%).

In practice this means that countries such as the UK that previously supplied 240 V continue to do so, and those that previously supplied 220 V continue to do so. However equipment should be designed to accept any voltages within the specified range, and in practice most do.

Similarly, Australia has converted to 230 V as the nominal standard, and like the UK, 240 V is within the allowable tolerance.

I know, totally useless and uninteresting information, but good to know as it means that any European / Australian appliances will work just fine with Thai electricity.

The 'change' from 240V to 230V in the UK was not well publicied (since it didn't really happen).

Yes I have terrible problems with the sound here in thailand. All the channels comes in that strange thai language instead of something understandable. But strange the locals and also my thai wife seem to accept that without any complains...

:o

Just tell her it won't work :D:)

Agree with what the other say, you'll probably have trouble with sound off terrestrial channels.

Actually, a UK TV will be UHF only so you may not even get all the terrestrial channels, leave it at home.

Just bring your DVD's, tellys and DVD playerare very reasonably priced here.