Red Bull heir Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya pleads illness, evades prosecutor

webfact

Vorayuth pleads illness, evades prosecutor
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

30214014-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Lawyers for Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, the 28-year-old Red Bull heir wanted in connection with a hit-and-run crash that killed a motorbike policeman exactly a year ago, told public prosecutors that Vorayuth was sick in Singapore and hence unable to show up to hear charges against him yesterday.

Lawyer Tanit Buakhiao met with Bangkok South Criminal Court prosecutor Reucha Kraireuk, in charge of the case, at 3pm and said that Vorayuth had left Thailand last Thursday for a business trip but had suddenly fallen ill and so was unable to travel back. Tanit delivered a medical certificate from his client's doctors and said that, after resting for 2-3 days as they had recommended, Vorayuth would return to Thailand to meet with the prosecutor.

Reucha said he would today ask police investigators to secure an arrest warrant for Vorayuth, who is accused of involvement in the September 3, 2012 crash that killed Police Senior Sergeant-Maj Wichian Klanprasert.

Reucha said the prosecutors planned to object to any request for bail for the Red Bull heir when he is presented to court for trial. Vorayuth faces two charges: causing death and damage to property through reckless driving, and failing to stop and assist the victim. An additional charge of speeding would be dropped, as the statute of limitation expired today, said Reucha.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-03

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The charge for speeding would be dropped because the statute of limitation period has expired!

Absolutely astounding Thai justice!

And now presumably the other two cases will be dropped as there was no prosecution for speeding and he therefore could not be driving recklessly?

The stench is overwhelming!

not for sure

when drugged up behind the wheel they can still charge him for that i think

even when making doughnuts in an empty space they can charge reckless driving

but i wonder what the expiration date is for the still open charges

would not be surprised if he got excuses not to show up in court till all is expired

and why can't they make a verdict without him present

The charge for speeding would be dropped because the statute of limitation period has expired!

Absolutely astounding Thai justice!

And now presumably the other two cases will be dropped as there was no prosecution for speeding and he therefore could not be driving recklessly?

The stench is overwhelming!

Still hard to drop the hit and run charges tho, he stopped and rendered assistance or he didn't still a serious charge in most countries.

Watching this case with amusement and some sadness. The Thai rule of law really is a joke and that is both amusing and sad. Sad for the Thai people in general and the joke is the keystone cop sort of scenerios perpetrated by the players in these absurd cases.

• Like 2

What a load of absolute rubbish. left on a business trip one business day before is court appearance. This Taksinitis sounds like a really nasty disease and he needs to be rushed back to the Medical HUB.

The fact this disgusting situation has gone on court date after court date speaks volumes about the system and those who administer it that this perversion of the course of justice has been allowed to stand.

Leaving the country a day before the hearing shows absolute contempt and I'll bet his lawyers encouraged it rather than advise against it such is the confidence they all had that nothing would go wrong.

If the judge had been anything like worthy of the name he would have laid down the law, literally and figurative, a long time ago. I was about to say something on accountability but it would be wasted as ther is none.

How about "dropping" all the charges and stop the whole charade?

Thailand is making itself ridiculous in face of the whole world by keeping this charade going on.

The Red Bull heir will NEVER see a prison from the inside.

Nuff said

I don't think the whole world are watching........I doubt this gets a mention outside Thailand unless someone abroad is making an article on wayward S.E Asian heirs, unlikely.

He will certainly pay for it, but in the Thai way. Quite a few Thais are calling for a prison sentence, but truths if the victim was their family they would rather the money than he serve the prison time. And if it was their son who caused the accident they would rather pay for his "mistake" in cash than he do the time.

So a little moral outrage in Thai Rath, but business as usual even though the whole country is watching.

• Like 1

The charge of causing death and damage to property through reckless driving will ensure his sentence is a light one.

The fact he isn't even in the country shows what he thinks of the charges laid against him; a brazen arrogance and indignation.

I said at the time that the attempt to bring the F1 to Thailand is their payment to absolve him of this crime.

For those of you seeking 'proper' justice in this case need to wake up and realise this is a society that is rotten to the very core; he has money and is influential thus is above the law.

If only the butler would have taken the fall for the crime as the victim's superior office tried to organise during the attempted cover-up shortly after the crime was committed all of this embarrassment for the family could have been avoided.

bah.gif

Amazing! I find myself agreeing with you again FarangTalk.

There is no such thing as right or wrong, or justice, compassion, or mercy in this XXXXXX country. He should have never been allowed out of Thailand, and letting him run out the time on the speeding charge is simply disgusting. I'm sure the family of the dead Policeman will have been well taken care of, along with anyone else involved, but I see this as yet another instance of those in power severely abusing their positions, and I really don't think the "Thai's" are going to put up with this much longer.

Edited by Rooo
Obscenity removed
  • Like 1

Thailand is making itself ridiculous in face of the whole world by keeping this charade going on.

Nuff said

I don't think the whole world are watching........I doubt this gets a mention outside Thailand unless someone abroad is making an article on wayward S.E Asian heirs, unlikely.

He will certainly pay for it, but in the Thai way. Quite a few Thais are calling for a prison sentence, but truths if the victim was their family they would rather the money than he serve the prison time. And if it was their son who caused the accident they would rather pay for his "mistake" in cash than he do the time.

So a little moral outrage in Thai Rath, but business as usual even though the whole country is watching.

Maybe not the whole world but it has made MSN website news page here in the US. So it is getting some airplay outside of Thailand. Guess the people who read this will see just how backa$$wards the Thai justice system is.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/02/20293111-thai-prosecutors-to-issue-arrest-warrant-for-red-bull-heir?lite=

I guess there is something to be said about revoking a passport when someone is out on bail for such a serious charge, he is not to blame for not being here, the system is to blame,he is just playing it, and why wouldn't he?..clap2.gif

• Like 1

Nuff said

Maybe not the whole world but it has made MSN website news page here in the US. So it is getting some airplay outside of Thailand. Guess the people who read this will see just how backa$$wards the Thai justice system is.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/02/20293111-thai-prosecutors-to-issue-arrest-warrant-for-red-bull-heir?lite=

It's being covered in the NY times as well, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/world/asia/wealthy-thai-fails-to-show-for-hearing-over-hit-and-run.html?_r=1&

There is a glimmer of hope that justice will eventually be done if the foreign media keeps the spot light on this. Sadly I doubt this will happen.

• Like 1

The story is also on the Australian news site, here -

http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/arrest-warrant-sought-over-red-bull-heir/story-e6frfkur-1226709489946

It says, in part -

THAI authorities are seeking an arrest warrant for an heir to the Red Bull energy drink fortune after he failed to appear for his indictment in the hit-and-run death of a policeman, a prosecutor says.

A lawyer for Vorayuth Yoovidhya said the 30-year-old heir was on a business trip in Singapore and was unable to return to Thailand for the indictment because he fell ill.

His absence means a speeding charge will be dropped because the statute of limitations expires on Tuesday. He still faces charges of causing death by reckless driving and not stopping to help, which carry a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Being heir to a large fortune can also work against you it seems. Slowly attracting attention around the world. clap2.gif

Nuff said

It's also on the BBC news website at www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23938794

So appart from NBC, The NY Times Australian news sources and the BBC (and possibly a few more that are not yet mentioned), I also don't think the whole world are watching. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1