Red Bull heir Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya pleads illness, evades prosecutor

webfact

he may use in his defense that he is suffering from "affluenza"

this is an illness now used as excuse by very rich young and drunk driver in the USA...who are VICTIMS of their families wealth

From www.ac360.com this morning

Teen drunk driver uses "affluenza" defense after deadly crash
Outrage after a 16-year old drunk driver escapes jail time for killing four people last June. At the time of the crash Ethan Couch's blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit and he was speeding.
The teen was facing four counts of manslaughter and up to 20 years behind bars.
But a judge sentenced him to ten years of probation after his lawyers argued that he was a victim of his family's wealth.
An expert witness they put on the stand termed it "affluenza," and the judge bought the argument. Randi Kaye has the story.
Eric Boyles' wife and daughter were killed by the car Ethan Couch was driving.
This is the first time he is speaking publicly about what happened.

UNQUOTE

There was a letter citing this case in yesterday's Bangkok Post. It made the very obvious comparison with the red bull issue. Affluenza....sure to be in the urban dictionary . I hope that there is a Thai equivalent.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice timing in the resurrection of this thread. The other paper has just put up on its website a list of names (companies and individuals) allegedly donating to Suthep's PDRC. The list is supposedly leaked from Chalerm's CMPO. Among the individuals is a Chalerm Yoovidhya, father of Vorayuth. Suthep, as expected, has denied any of these people, except one, has donated to his cause. Now you can't rely on this information - but if it's true, then why would Chalerm Yoovidhya, head of the Red Bull empire, be donating to the protesters? Time to don the conspiracy hat.

Nice timing in the resurrection of this thread. The other paper has just put up on its website a list of names (companies and individuals) allegedly donating to Suthep's PDRC. The list is supposedly leaked from Chalerm's CMPO. Among the individuals is a Chalerm Yoovidhya, father of Vorayuth. Suthep, as expected, has denied any of these people, except one, has donated to his cause. Now you can't rely on this information - but if it's true, then why would Chalerm Yoovidhya, head of the Red Bull empire, be donating to the protesters? Time to don the conspiracy hat.

Considering the the man in question has been dead for more than a year, I'd say it's not very likely. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Considering the the man in question has been dead for more than a year, I'd say it's not very likely. rolleyes.gif

Chaleo is the founder, and is dead, Chalerm is his son and father of Boss, and very well alive.

In the midst of all this Suthep / Yinluck / Pheu Thai / Democrat farce that masquerades for Thai democracy, here we see the rotten core of Thai culture. Don't get me wrong, I am not Thai bashing, far from it (there are plenty here on TV to do that)... but, this act of absolute arrogance and contempt for the rule of law shown by this guy brings in to sharp focus why Thailand is galaxies away from a functioning democracy where the legislative and judicial arms of government are open, transparent and fair. It is exactly this kind of thing that has fueled revolution in countless other countries. As I have said in other posts, the issue of reform in Thailand is so huge and complex they really do need outside help.... but Hell will freeze over before we see that.

This "arrogance" is really what drives much of "the opposition's" push for implementation of their "democracy".

• Like 1

Think he should be careful mucking around in Singapore; that is one of the last places to be an arrogant a-hole in.

Really? I think he'll fit in just nicely.

he will fit right in, watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBhzFWp7daM

I'm in SG at the moment but I can't afford to go to the same places as him, maybe he's here to buy a plane as the airshow is in full swing.

• 3 weeks later...

What a load of absolute rubbish. left on a business trip one business day before is court appearance. This Taksinitis sounds like a really nasty disease and he needs to be rushed back to the Medical HUB.

This is his second sudden illness, if I am not mistaken.

Just wondering what the latest was on this ???

or has it been swept under the carpet forever ??

Yes to the Thai media, this case is long gone and forgotten. As is normally

done in cases like this one. It only comes up here on TV from time to time

as a great example of the lack of justice for the wealthy here.

On a side note, why in the hell does he have the nickname " Boss" ????

Is that some sort of Thai joke ? He looks like a little weasel to me.....

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am curious with all the clean up being done, thanks to the new govt. where is our dear friend, Voyaruth Yoovidhya? what happened to this story?

As we all enjoy transprency and clean up, shouldn't this be included?

Let me know,

Pwink.png

I am curious with all the clean up being done, thanks to the new govt. where is our dear friend, Voyaruth Yoovidhya? what happened to this story?

Let me know,

Pwink.png

As he appears to be your good friend, then I would have thought you could have told us what is happening. As this was your first post, please be advised that irony is part of TV

Let me know,

Pwink.png

There was a small article in the Bangkok Post the other day stating that most charges have been dropped. I guess from the report that he is back in Thailand.

Let me know,

Pwink.png

There was a small article in the Bangkok Post the other day stating that most charges have been dropped. I guess from the report that he is back in Thailand.

Yes it was because of the statue of limitations on most of them that was the reason. Not all charges are dropped. For all we know he is in a sand castle.

Does any one know his where about?

One article I'm seeing in the BKK Post was published August 11, 2014 and is spelling the suspect's last name as "Vorayudh" -- not Vorayuth as in here.

That article says the guy is back in Thailand, has had at least six postponements of appearing to acknowledge the criminal charges, and still is facing two remaining charges with longish statutes of limitations: reckless driving causing death (15 years statute) and failing to stop a vehicle to render assistance (5 years).

According to the article, the former prosecutor in the case, now re-assigned, says he at one point decided to see an arrest warrant for non-appearance. But then the next sentence says, police have yet to submit an arrest warrant request to the court.

It seems more than a bit odd, that this longish article with three bylined authors only quotes the FORMER prosecutor in the case, but makes no mention of who is CURRENTLY responsible for pursuing it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Most people around the world are more than likely not aware of his name, or the fact he's the Red Bull heir.

Better if the NCPO took an interest and put out a warrant for his arrest, although it's highly unlikely he'd spend any longer than 20 minutes locked up, money talks, criminals walk.. simple as that.

Most people around the world are more than likely not aware of his name, or the fact he's the Red Bull heir.

Better if the NCPO took an interest and put out a warrant for his arrest, although it's highly unlikely he'd spend any longer than 20 minutes locked up, money talks, criminals walk.. simple as that.

You're right.

Still if we keep asking the NCPO to do all these little things which somehow others didn't do, we might keep them too busy. Why, they might still (need to) be here for a few more years.

All in all it would seem that participation in reforms is getting essential. That should guarantee a more structured approach rather than the ad-hoc 'anyone can ask, NCPO will do'. IMHO

• Like 1