GMS countries pledge to end dog meat eating

webfact

I am not a dog-eater - but because of you - I just might become one. Your holier than thou attitude really is very appealing to me.

Are you of Asian decent to justify judging me for expressing my very own point of view? Even if I do not like that dogs are being eaten in some Asian countries, I have NOT imposed my values on how these people eat. I clearly imposed my WESTERN values on how these people torture before they kill and eat.

I follow Buddhist philosophies and I believe in animal rights and if you can take it or not that I do not tolerate animal cruelty - honestly, who seriously cares?

I am not Asian born, am I now forbidden the right of free speech? I keep my right to openly express my point of view. I am not decrying the consumption of dog meat, I name and shame the torture done to the animals and the very base and highly questionable motivations behind such sadistic torment.

No more, no less.

Thank you!

I will not preclude thou from doing it grandpa! Just remember that you are what you eat! Enjoy the meal!

“If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop.”

Kurt Cobain

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who dont want stray dogs living in their Soi can pay to have them all neutered and taken care of I am sure this would be a simple and humane happy ending for the dogs and also for the people concerned. And its lucky you have such a wonderful foundation like https://www.soidog.org/Default.aspx established in Thailand to help remedy your problem with Soi Dogs, all it takes is money and a reasonable donation.

Even a neutered dog can give you rabies, spread fleas, mange to other dogs, defecate indiscriminately, snap at and bite children and adults, walk in front of moving traffic, etcetera, Just because they are sterile doesn't remove the 'pest' factor.

When spaying and neutering the strays, the organizations, such as Soi Dog also vaccinate and treat ALL of the disease you mentioned.

But they don't and can't treat the defecation and urination, snapping at and/or biting of people, nuisance and danger to traffic I.E. the "pest" factor unless they remove them from the street. While spaying/neutering, and disease treatment helps it is NOT a total solution.

Agreed, it is not a Total solution, but it is a start, and it is a humane start. I have more problems with the cruelity and ordeal the dogs are going through, before they are going to be eaten, anyway - The massive human consumption of dog meat in Vietnam where all the estimated, 5 Miliion dogs a year are 'transported' to, obviously is NOT a solution at all, not only cause it is against humanity, Vietnam folks is eating dog for centuries and the dog meat trade doesn't just exists for months, but years - The 5 Million dogs brought out of Thailand have not done 'a breadcrumb' of a change to the population of the strays. Spaying, neutering at least has brought massive changes. Don't believe? Read their annual reports! And those rescued from the illegal dog transports are not brought back onto the streets, they are, 4000 at the moment, I think - it is, are also all going to be sterilized, vaccinated treated and brought to the privately run Non For Profit shelters, such as Soidog Phuket and Bangkok, Unidog Thailand, Elfe in Samui etc... and from their fosters and adopters are found and many already have been shipped to their new homes in the UK, USA, AUS, GE, FR NE etc to where they were adopted to. It is a good thing and I applaud to all the many people, Thai and Farang who helped and help to get this trade of shame under control and maybe even stopped one day. The illegal dog meat transports are sickening and definitely no solution to fight the stray population.

Moaning, whining and all the scolding against the strays, what is done by just some (not you Keesters) here in the forum, and that is for sure, doesn't lead to any solution at all.

If anyone of you who protest the loudest against those dogs - that have no other choice and MUST live on the streets and look and smell the way they do because no one gives a sh*t... if any of you guys out there would come up with something productive and humane... but all you can do is sitting your a**es flat in front of your monitors, pestering and moaning all over the place about the 'filthy not worth to breath the same air' ....just waiting for others to solve, what you name you're having a problem with... Sorry guys, that is not really impressive!

• Like 1

Oooooh Yummy! But that has been reserved for you little girl. I am not a Buddhist and will not be reincarnated... Tsk tsk...

I will not preclude thou from doing it grandpa! Just remember that you are what you eat! Enjoy the meal!

“If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop.”
Kurt Cobain

Humane killing - now that is a quality oxymoron. Nature is the real killer - nothing is sacred but incongruous behavior of the human race. Why not end fish meat eating - most of them are suffocated "inhumanely". It makes as much sense as ending the eating of canine meat.

Even a neutered dog can give you rabies, spread fleas, mange to other dogs, defecate indiscriminately, snap at and bite children and adults, walk in front of moving traffic, etcetera, Just because they are sterile doesn't remove the 'pest' factor.

When spaying and neutering the strays, the organizations, such as Soi Dog also vaccinate and treat ALL of the disease you mentioned.

But they don't and can't treat the defecation and urination, snapping at and/or biting of people, nuisance and danger to traffic I.E. the "pest" factor unless they remove them from the street. While spaying/neutering, and disease treatment helps it is NOT a total solution.

Agreed, it is not a Total solution, but it is a start, and it is a humane start. I have more problems with the cruelity and ordeal the dogs are going through, before they are going to be eaten, anyway - The massive human consumption of dog meat in Vietnam where all the estimated, 5 Miliion dogs a year are 'transported' to, obviously is NOT a solution at all, not only cause it is against humanity, Vietnam folks is eating dog for centuries and the dog meat trade doesn't just exists for months, but years - The 5 Million dogs brought out of Thailand have not done 'a breadcrumb' of a change to the population of the strays. Spaying, neutering at least has brought massive changes. Don't believe? Read their annual reports! And those rescued from the illegal dog transports are not brought back onto the streets, they are, 4000 at the moment, I think - it is, are also all going to be sterilized, vaccinated treated and brought to the privately run Non For Profit shelters, such as Soidog Phuket and Bangkok, Unidog Thailand, Elfe in Samui etc... and from their fosters and adopters are found and many already have been shipped to their new homes in the UK, USA, AUS, GE, FR NE etc to where they were adopted to. It is a good thing and I applaud to all the many people, Thai and Farang who helped and help to get this trade of shame under control and maybe even stopped one day. The illegal dog meat transports are sickening and definitely no solution to fight the stray population.

Moaning, whining and all the scolding against the strays, what is done by just some (not you Keesters) here in the forum, and that is for sure, doesn't lead to any solution at all.

If anyone of you who protest the loudest against those dogs - that have no other choice and MUST live on the streets and look and smell the way they do because no one gives a sh*t... if any of you guys out there would come up with something productive and humane... but all you can do is sitting your a**es flat in front of your monitors, pestering and moaning all over the place about the 'filthy not worth to breath the same air' ....just waiting for others to solve, what you name you're having a problem with... Sorry guys, that is not really impressive!

Agree with most of what you say. In my opinion a good start towards a total solution would be to stop pets from roaming the streets by legal means and enforce it by impounding of any "pet on the loose" dog. Release of the dog back to its owner would incur a heavy fine, spaying / neutering, chipping, vaccinating etc. if not already done at cost to the owner. Actually I think this would be a good way for cities to raise revenue. Judging by the number of "pets on the loose" I see, a city could make a fortune.

The OP states a combined total of 5 million dogs from surrounding countries are shipped to Vietnam a year, not just from Thailand. Other reports talk to about 200k dogs shipped out of Thailand per annum, so who knows the true numbers. Some years back from, I would assume a very limited sampling, there was an estimated 7 million pet dogs in Thailand. Playing with numbers let's assume there are currently 10 million dogs in Thailand since culling etc was banned.

A lot of guesswork follows, so would be happy to be countered by demonstrable factual figures.

As an example Soi Dogs claims about 60k dogs neutered since their inception, with the other lot smaller dog charities let's be generous and say another 40k, a combined total of 100k dogs nationally. Some Amphurs have an annual neutering program that are poorly attended, so again assume another 100k at best. The dog charities as far as I know do not publish the number of dogs adopted or sent overseas, but again being generous let's assume 20k.

All up neutered dogs total approx 200k nationally and adopted dogs approx 20k, all in all a total of 220k out of a total dog population of 10 million plus; a drop in the ocean with the ever increasing uncontrolled dog population. So in summary current policies are not working & the Thai government really needs to re-think and fund workable solutions, but do not hold your breath as we know laws are very generally not proactively enforced in Thailand. Expat & Thai privately funded charities are all well & good, but in reality only scratch the surface.

Dogburgers taste awful & afterwards you feel a bit ruff.

But yeah, human digestive system = herbivore. We descended from plant-eating monkeys, and we don't need meat at all in our diets, so theres even less reason to eat dog meat. Was a good study a few decades back on obesity/cholesterol levels globally and Thailand was in the very lowest bracket, at about 250x lower than western nations, and this is largely because of traditional papaya salads and other vegetable based cooking, fish and poultry etc. but mainly the vegetable-oriented diet. Obviously Thais do eat meat, much more so now with KFC/MCd. All animals suffer the same, cows pigs dogs etc. if you eat one you might as well eat the lot. I'm vegetarian and so I don't distinguish, ppl think dogs are cute but I had a pet pig and he was gorgeous.

Maybe Thais descended from plant-eating monkeys but westerners didn't. They descended from meat eaters.

All humans are descended from foraging monkeys who descended from the trees, abandoning a fruit diet when the forests thinned and they were forced out onto the open savannah grasslands, where they foraged anything they could eat, but primarily plants and roots, moving up to hunting small animals. We did not start domestication of livestock until we invented castles and the concept of property ownership, which was also the time we invented "couples" and marriage for life. Before that time we hunted wild animals and owned no land, and had no lifetime partner and many cases had tribal & orgiastic relationships, shared food and shared camps and shared partners. The concepts of "my land" "my animals" and "my wife" arrived a the same point in time. Which was also the same time as we discovered alcohol brewing by the way.

Humans are a survivor species, our ancestors survived by adapting. But we all have a classic herbivore digestion system to this day. That is why red meat stays in our colons for decades and we get stomach cancer from eating a heavy red meat diet.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the only people complaining about the dogs are the foreigners who live there, mainly Issan. I would say to you if you don't like the dogs go back to your own country where you are free to complain. Most thais have learned to live with the dogs. This has become a business for the corrupt officials and I believe that if you follow the money it will lead to high ranking officials, same as the elephand and tiger poaching that is being done. I find this practice appaling and the foreigners complaining also.