Farangs riding motorbikes on the pavements.

NoshowJones

In Bangkok recently, a Farang was riding a motorbike on the pavement heading towards me, I saw him coming and as he was not going too slow, I quickly had to move out his way, and as he passed,I shook my fist at him and he gave a big smile. I then watched him and he had to slow down because of the amount of pedestrians in front of him. I ran after him, and just as I was about to punch him in the face, I noticed there were lots of people around, so I did not. At that point he rode away quickly.

If it had been a Thai, I would not have even thought of hitting him as I do not fancy taking on about six of them. What I would like to know is, what would the likely outcome be if I had hit him? Would the BiB have been interested?

• Like 1

It is ok to ride on the sidewalk here.

Are you a big tough guy?

How old are you?

You might just have gotten beat up.

No it is not.

My friend just got nailed 400 baht for driving the wrong way on a road. He was swearing calling the BiB crooked and asking why they picked on him.

I asked, did you not ride the wrong way? Yes, he said. well, I replied, you broke the law. Not an important law he replied. And this comes from a guy that is expected to defend the Kingdom and is allowed to carry a big gun.

Anyway, he still doesn't get it.

• Like 1

Take a chill pill man, or get the hell out of here. What do you think punching this guy would have achieved? Do you think that it would have been on national TV the next day and suddenly no one rides their mc's on the sidewalk ever again in case some loopy farang punches them?

• Like 2

You can manage your anger and behaviour so that it is not violent. Violence is not okay, and in most cases is actually illegal You are the only person who can stop yourself from being violent, and yours is the only violence you can definitely stop

I often have a big backpack (gym clothes & equipment). If I see a motorbike speeding down the pavement towards me, I turn sideways so just my big backpack is in his way. That way it will hurt him a lot more than it hurts me if he hits me, and he steers out of the way smile.png

Edited by razorramone

I'm guilty of doing this now and again, but I usually go pretty slow when I do.

I think Mr. possum 1931 is out there, waiting for you...coffee1.gif

I'll keep an eye out! ermm.gif

I don't think it was me, though, I'm in Bang Kapi and I haven't run down any other farangs lately. laugh.png

He might just have hit you back with a weapon of some sort.

Was he wearing a helmet ?

No he would not, he would have been knocked off his bike, then I would have been on top of him. Yes he was wearing a helmet, I did not realise he was a Farang until he forced me out of the way.

It is ok to ride on the sidewalk here.

Are you a big tough guy?

How old are you?

You might just have gotten beat up.

Yes, I am big, but no way am I what you would call a tough guy, or back in Scotland, a hard man. I do have some martial arts training years ago, but I would never survive in a fight with an experienced streetfighter, even if I was still in my twenties or thirties. But if anyone is behaving in a manner that puts your well being at great risk, then you take a chance. Do you approve of riding motorbikes on pavements whether the law allows it or not?