Australian tourist dies in Patong motorcycle crash

webfact

One suspects that Patong hospital as the first port of call didn't help.

Exactly right....

"The Australian was swiftly taken to Patong Hospital,..."

Which suggests ineptitude by the scoop and run pickup boys,

but it took an 90 minutes before the hospital decided to move him to a better facility.

What was going on during that 90 minutes? "It's a farang, better check on him when

you finish reading the paper."

It brings to mind that Thais will not hurry. They will walk even when a bus has courteously

waited for them. A group of guys at a store that was on fire were walking to load goods and

furnishings in trucks despite the encroaching flames. A car lets a pedestrian cross in front of

them and the pedestrian strolls with disregard for the courtesy. Is there even a word for

courtesy in Thai, or emergency?

How does this statement suggest ineptitude of the pickup boys?

Maybe in the 90 mins he was at Patong Hospital they were trying to save him. Have you never heard of a road accident victim in your country getting taken to the nearest hospital in the first instance before getting transferred to a bigger facility.

Sorry mate but your attempts at Thai bashing are not justified in this story.

• Like 1

Exactly right....

Which suggests ineptitude by the scoop and run pickup boys,

but it took an 90 minutes before the hospital decided to move him to a better facility.

What was going on during that 90 minutes? "It's a farang, better check on him when

you finish reading the paper."

It brings to mind that Thais will not hurry. They will walk even when a bus has courteously

waited for them. A group of guys at a store that was on fire were walking to load goods and

furnishings in trucks despite the encroaching flames. A car lets a pedestrian cross in front of

them and the pedestrian strolls with disregard for the courtesy. Is there even a word for

courtesy in Thai, or emergency?

Ludicrous post.

It's much simpler than that, Patong Hospital doesn't have a duty doctor on staff, the telephone in the emergency room atests to that!

So? The sneer to the people working at Patong Hospital in the post I commented on is totally undeserved and outright racist. They do what they can to help people, sometimes with limited means, and as a thank you get 'they leave you laying there to die because they are reading the paper'.

As I said, a totally undeserved and ridiculous comment.

OK no problem, but what say they just remove the words "emergency room" from their signs, just so that it doesn't mislead people, whilst at it why not also remove the sign that says "hospital"! That way what we have is realistic and honest, a bunch of people, two at last count (between 9pm and 5am), hoping to do well and help people.

My condolences to this young man's family. Way too many young folks are dying over here. I had a big mc in the states and I drove it like a 100 year old granny. I have an mc that's closer to a bicycle here in Thailand and I drive even slower and more cautiously. No daredevil antics for me, thanks.

I have a car, a Harley and a scooter here. Usually take the Harley but, I import Bell helmets from the States ($100 + shipping and tax) and always wear my boots and jeans. A leather jacket would be too much around town but always wear it on trips.

Yeah it's a choice thing,but I don't think tourists understand what it is like out there. I am at the stage (I hope and think) that I can predict what they are going to do...most of the time. The condition of some of the rental bikes is questionable sometimes too. But the reality is they hope you have an accident,you cannot possibly make money off a rental bike at 200 Baht a day, you wont even recoup the cost of the bike for 2 years. That's why they want your passport when you rent one, It's all part of the game!!

• Like 1

I have a car, a Harley and a scooter here. Usually take the Harley but, I import Bell helmets from the States ($100 + shipping and tax) and always wear my boots and jeans. A leather jacket would be too much around town but always wear it on trips.

Yeah it's a choice thing,but I don't think tourists understand what it is like out there. I am at the stage (I hope and think) that I can predict what they are going to do...most of the time. The condition of some of the rental bikes is questionable sometimes too. But the reality is they hope you have an accident,you cannot possibly make money off a rental bike at 200 Baht a day, you wont even recoup the cost of the bike for 2 years. That's why they want your passport when you rent one, It's all part of the game!!

I am and always have been a fatalist....when your numbers up , it's up....seen and been involved in way too many confirming scenarios to even start to doubt it.

UPDATE:
Australian tourist dies after severe asthma attack invokes seizure

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 51-year-old Australian woman found dead in her Phuket hotel room on Tuesday morning reportedly died after suffering a seizure brought on by a severe asthma attack, police have told the Phuket Gazette.

Tracey Ann Walton from Australia was found dead in her guest room at a Patong Beach resort early yesterday morning. Hotel staff made the discovery and promptly called the Patong Police.

“Her Australian friend, who was traveling with her but staying in a different room at the same hotel, told us that Ms Walton suffered from diabetes and high blood pressure,” said Capt Thawatchai Srimai of the Patong Police.

“However, she also suffered from severe asthma attacks. Doctors believe Ms Walton suffered such an attack, and complications brought on by her other health ailments contributed to her death,” he said.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Australian-tourist-dies-after-severe-asthma-attack-invokes-seizure-22175.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-05

read here:

//http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665461-australian-tourist-dies-in-patong-motorcycle-crash/?p=6786702#entry6786702

I don't know,but sounds like no helmut, shame, RIP, when i first came to Thailand, i was 10 feet tall and bulletproof, did all the first timers stupid things one does in such a fantasy land, after a few years,reality catches up and you think shit, lucky i'm still around, as for tourists, they get that wild feeling for a short time and go back to their real lives, others like in this case, go home in a box.

Yes, RIP this man. I remember when I first settled in Phuket my idea was to buy a big bike. After less than a year I had a big crash and I immediately got rid of the big bike. Reality did catch up. Still drove a Honda Dream for years. Then about 5 years ago I completely stopped driving a m/bike. Car only for me these days.

You haven't rode a bike till you crash that's when you learn to respect them:) The safest vehicle in the world until impact.

I don't know,but sounds like no helmut, shame, RIP, when i first came to Thailand, i was 10 feet tall and bulletproof, did all the first timers stupid things one does in such a fantasy land, after a few years,reality catches up and you think shit, lucky i'm still around, as for tourists, they get that wild feeling for a short time and go back to their real lives, others like in this case, go home in a box.

Yes, RIP this man. I remember when I first settled in Phuket my idea was to buy a big bike. After less than a year I had a big crash and I immediately got rid of the big bike. Reality did catch up. Still drove a Honda Dream for years. Then about 5 years ago I completely stopped driving a m/bike. Car only for me these days.

You haven't rode a bike till you crash that's when you learn to respect them:) The safest vehicle in the world until impact.

Actually, planes are the safest form of transport, not motorbikes.